PDA

View Full Version : Debian Live released for PS3, so download away!

wraggster
January 17th, 2007, 17:40
via ps3fanboy (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/01/16/debian-live-released-for-ps3-so-download-away/)

What is Debian Live? You've got me there, but what I do know is that it's a highly respected Linux engine... more so than Fedora Core and... that other one. What's more is that this system/engine/thingy is being distributed via .iso, so download it now, stick it onto a CD and load it right onto your PS3 with little to no trouble and/or effort! That's... how it works, right? No? Hmm, I really need to learn how to do this.
Anyway, on the Debian Live for PS3 site, there's a list of all the prompts you can use as well as parameters you can set (login, password, etc). We're linking you directly to their site because it makes a lot more sense than if I tried to describe it. Also, if you have any trouble, visit the About page and see if anything there helps you out -- I couldn't find a specific set of instructions (probably because this is supposed to be easy), but it seems like they go into more detail here. If anyone gets this up and running, tell us how it stacks up to the other programs available.

More details and Download Here --> http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/

F9zDark
January 17th, 2007, 19:42
I am assuming the people running PS3Fanboy are the same folks running PSPFanboy. First off:

1)Get some ****ing brains.
2)Write an article PROPERLY.

This is quite good news, and its sad to see that the quality of this occurence is undermined by some retard thinking they are a game journalist. I have really grown tired of the stupidity of the ---Fanboy folks. :mad:

F9zDark
January 17th, 2007, 19:56
In my limited research it appears that Debian Live is a CD/DVD/USBStick based operating system, in that, you put the CD in, it boots directly from CD and you need not install anything to the hard-disk. That is what I understand of it so far, I am gonna give it a shot.

Oh and another thing the website for the PS3 Debian live is here: http://www.keshi.org/moin/moin.cgi/PS3/Debian/Live

That retard reporter wasn't even nice enough to give us the real link.

F9zDark
January 17th, 2007, 20:36
Yeah I am triple posting, but I feel this was necessary.

I tried out Debian Live. Neat little thing, however, the only use for it is the web. Since it is on a CD and doesn't actually reside on the Harddrive, the only programs that you can use with it are the ones that come on the CD, which are essentially NONE.

Firefox and the basic Gnome text editor is really the only software at your disposal from running off the CD.

As well, since it doesn't make use of the Harddrive, the HD doesn't appear available (so you can't use it to download things to; probably because during the linux installation it formats the partition you designated for linux with a linux compatible filesystem; this doesn't happen with Debian Live, nor is there a way to do it in Debian Live, sadly).

However, if you are looking for a quick linux distro to burn and use, Debian Live is it; however, I suggest making your own custom package with the software you want (how one would go about this is beyond me).

I'll keep you all updated if I find out anything new.