PDA

View Full Version : Could Sony Discontinue the PSP by the end of 2008?

wraggster
January 17th, 2007, 20:24
Article from SCP (http://www.select-copy-paste.net/gaming/Select_2007_01170409.php)

Lets rewind to March 24th, 2005, The PSP actually had a fairly decent launch, infact far better than maybe people had thought a handheld priced at $249.99 USD, It's Glossy black exterior complimented it's Gadget Sexiness, and it's Widescreen display dwarfed the small screen of both the Nintendo DS and the Gameboy Advance. It had created quite a buzz before it's release, and even Sony linkened it to a portable Playstation 2.

It would seem however the hype worm off soon after, the Launch games although not great, were not overly good (The only one I personally kept even was Lumines), and were often criticized for being nothing more than a port of Existing games (NFL Street 2 unleashed, Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Need For Speed Underground Rivals etc.). Sony's push to make the UMD succeed as a format for movies shortly fizzled out within a year as Studios slowly pulled support for the format, either discontinuing production, or simply bringing it to a trickle. Infact it's truly a shame what has happened with the PSP, for it's time as a console, either handheld or otherwise it offered unrivaled functionality (Photo's , Internet Browser, UI Customization Etc.) and it's multimedia capabilities I actually found appealing (I never found the need for an iPod because of the PSP).

It's hard to really say who failed who in this case, The consumer failed Sony because they didn't buy into the UMD as a viable movie format, and Sony failed the consumer with the Pricepoint. What is actually ironic however is that for quite a while the perception of Sony being king was a very rampant one indeed, infact a lot of the Anti-Sony rhetoric I've seen has been a fairly recent pheonomenon even if no one else recalls it as such. Although I think the UMD as a format was an important decision (better storage space for games and cut scenes as well as audio fidelity) it also caused many market analysts to group it into the same category as Betamax. There were hoever several other criticisms for the UMD on a handheld, primarily batery life and loading times were among the top concerns (I remember the port of Midnight Club 3 taking a full minute to load a level), and although the Nintendo DS had an overall weak launch in the US, it shortly gained by leaps and bounds over the PSP because of it's lower pricepoint ($249.99 USD) and it's hardy (although not quite as sexy) design that was more "child proof".

Although it should be noted that the PSP has not been a total failure, there are close to 200 games available for the platform, and new games are announced for it from time to time, the most Notable releases for this Year Infact are the New Silent Hill Origins and Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core, but as far are sales it's losing leaps and bounds to the Nintendo DS, and this is not just speculation.

According to NPD Numbers the total system sales to date as of December 2006 placed the PSP at only 6,700,000 Total units, whereas the Nintendo DS sits at a lofty 9,200,000, and although the Nintendo DS did have a 4 month leap over the PSP the future for this Lexus of portables seems numbered. Remember when Rockstar released Grand Theft Auto, Liberty City Stories on the Playstation 2? Well we now have a Playstation 2 version of Lumines in the oven, as well as a Tocobot, Mercury, and planned Loco Roco Port all headed towards the Playstation 2 and the reason couldn't be any more clear: They simply didn't make enough in sales on the PSP as a platform so developers took the next logical step, the PSP and Playstation 2 development kits share quite a few similarities, and making a port to the Playstation 2 was a sure bet to recoup the value.

Unfortunately I can only draw one conclusion, the PSP is at a plateau, the High priority releases right at the very end of it's life will not be enough to save it, and I honestly believe that we will see it peter out in a little over a year. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot that Sony can do to truly help the PSP without taking a tremendous loss (or more than they are taking at the moment), a price drop would further cripple any chance at the system being profitable and would likely be seen by developers as an act of desperation, and with sales slowing it is unlikely that Sony will be able to attract additional third part developers. All in all it is an abysmal outcome, but one that I believe Sony will atleast try to see through to minimalize thier loses, however I say my early farewell to this pioneer of Handhelds. I salute the PSP and all of it's contributions (it has certainly raised the bar for Handheld qualty in graphics and sound), and it's legacy will live on in my heart as it takes it's place in my heart with the Neo Geo Pocket, The Dreamcast, and The Sega CD.

Agree or disagree, answer via comments

erix2006
January 17th, 2007, 20:32
yEa man I agree

Axelius
January 17th, 2007, 20:35
Hey, wow, wow wow, this is a little hard, the psp is not dead.

I think it was a very bad decision to make the psp not able to be connected to a TV, as this would have helped the UMD-Movie sales a lot, as nobody wants to spend 20€ on a movie you can only watch in a tiny screen...

But at least the psp is the best-looking handheld ever!!

inlovewithi
January 17th, 2007, 20:36
It needs to be redisign. It's a really uncomfortable portable. And though it looked sexy when it came out, after a while, it just started looking really ugly. The DS Lite is the best looking portable ever. By far.

henley101
January 17th, 2007, 20:36
The psp will live forever.As long as there is the internet which feeds it applications.With the 3.02oeb the possibilities are endless.I dont care what happens as long as They dont discontinue the MS and the prices are falling on the MS everyday.Unfortunately most people are clueless as to how to use the PSP to its full potential.The PSP will always reign supreme in my mind.

Shrygue
January 17th, 2007, 20:38
The PSP is the best handheld console I've ever bought and will always continue to be.

BLackAdder60
January 17th, 2007, 20:47
Terminating the PSP !!!! GOD forbidd.....
but... I am aftraid it might come.

And the pricing is to be blamed. Not so much for the units but the media. Prices for PSP titles remain HIGH even higher than those for the PS2 version of the same game. ANd while a PS2 title drops its price after 6-12 months such a development is yet to be seen, at least here in Sweden where GTA-LCS cost the same as a brand new release as late as the release of the GTA-VCS.

Then theres the UMD movies. These were tired old titles, of inferior quality as compared with the DVD edition of the same film, only playable on the PSP and costing much more (2-3 times) as much as the DVD edition.

Any surprise it didnt take off?

Lastly thres the issue with homebrew, instead of encouraging pople to find new uses for their platform and see where they could profit from it Sony keeps exasperating its users by forcing constantly new updates that hamper the devices usability.

In summary: Sonys problem is that while its engineers and designers are a brilliant and creative lot, the manegament is their opposite, an unimaginative and lazy lot who expect the world to stay the same so that they dont have to exercise their imagination to make a buck.

And dont get me started on the Minidisc where I sank a lot of money into as well...

LilSwish722
January 17th, 2007, 20:52
To me, the PSP was great at first. Then after about a year, I started to think it was a waste of money. Movies with no extra features, plus the price point on both movies, games, and the system is way to high. Why would I want to buy a movie with ONLY the movie for 20-30USD, when I could get the same thing on DVD for the exact same price, and still have all the extra bonus features and things. In my opinion the Homebrew scene is the only redeeming quality to the PSP. And I can't even enjoy that anymore becuase I acidentally udgraded my PSP to 3.00. I believe if Sony continues the way they are going with this, The PSP will crash and burn

shedeus
January 17th, 2007, 20:54
And dont get me started on the Minidisc where I sank a lot of money into as well...

ppl still look at me funny when i whip out my MD binder to play some new music :rofl:

if the psp goes the way of the dinosaur, who cares. i still love the system. its my 2nd favorite handheld next to my nomad

JKKDARK
January 17th, 2007, 21:04
it's legacy will live on in my heart as it takes it's place in my heart with the Neo Geo Pocket, The Dreamcast, and The Sega CD.

I love how he said it :)

Basil Zero
January 17th, 2007, 21:10
2008 is kinda early, should be 2009

gdf
January 17th, 2007, 21:10
psp was sort of a handheld experiment, trying to bring console quality games to a portable system, and in this respect it came very close indeed. games like gta, mgs, killzone and the forthcoming ffviicc are just as good as their console counterparts when they work. when it's too dark, or bright, or the controls suck,or the loading times are too long, or whatever, games feel like cheap versions of console based ones. psp2, as long as $ony dont **** it up, will be a great system.

Cloud_35
January 17th, 2007, 21:15
I TOLD YE ALLLL!!!!!!

THE END IS NIGH!!!!!! (or near???, please excuse mme, my english it's not that good.. :D)

I think the psp it's gonna share the NGpocket's fate, but i don't think it's gonna suck like the NG.

Me? i'm gonna enjoy this system and it's games (ALL of them, official or not) while i can.

aCoL
January 17th, 2007, 21:24
i thought this was the most fun hand held i have ever owned ( had gb, gb:Color,gb:pocket,GBA and my bro has the DS)

i can watch movies surf the web play games at a price cheaper then a laptop its just i can load movies onto it from my computer so i dont have to get the UMDS games there arnt alot that are to appelling to me for 40$ (or even 20 -30 used). Ima hold on to this little thing for a long time :) shame there wasnt more done :'(

F9zDark
January 17th, 2007, 21:30
I TOLD YE ALLLL!!!!!!

THE END IS NIGH!!!!!! (or near???, please excuse mme, my english it's not that good.. :D).

LOL, you say your english is not that good, yet you use an archaic term for near (nigh means near ;) ). I bet there are many native english speakers who have no idea what nigh means...

That aside, I can't help but feel that the author of the article is incorrect. Namely because we have been getting alot of good games lately. Also, connectivity with the PS3 will certainly prolong its life and suspect that Sony will make a sort of 'On the Go' experience with many PS3 titles so that you can take with you a mini game from the PS3 title you enjoy to unlock extra content, etc. Sort of how MGA and MGA2 give you soldiers for MGS:PO.

Also the rumor of Sony's redesigned PSP indicates that the PSP aint going anywhere soon.

UMDs were a failure because they were not wide spread enough. Sony could have banked WAY MORE on UMDs than they had. Honestly, imagine if Sony sold both blank UMD discs and UMD burners and allowed us to convert and burn our videos and maybe even DVDs onto UMDs for on the go? Imagine if this was also extended to music?

If Sony had done that from the start UMDs would have dominated the market EASILY. Don't have enough money for a 4 gb stick to put some tunes on? Burn your tunes to UMD.

But now its too late, the damage has been done. UMDs have already failed and no amount of change will bring them back. (UMD burners may help though...)

However, I firmly believe Sony's next handheld (which there are rumors for...) should seriously be a portable PS2. Give us a bigger screen, DVD player and the controls of a dual-shock (minus rumble) and Sony would not only own the hand held market, but they can deliver on something that many people wanted with the PSP, easy playback of one's existing movie library.

If Sony made a portable PS2 (calling it PSP2; or PS2P) and sold it for 200 USD, they would flush Nintendo clear out of the handheld market for the next decade. Why? Millions, upon millions of people own PS2s. Would these folks, who may not own a handheld or even have a DS buy a PS2P and be able to bring their PS2 titles with them every where they went? I believe they would.

Makaveli777
January 17th, 2007, 21:36
This article makes it like the psp isn't selling at all. Correct me if Im wrong but wasn't the psp the 3rd best selling videogames system for the holiday season in the U.S and japan. That doesn't seem to bad to me.

I do like how they wrote the article though. A lot of articles of the same subject would just try to bash psp, but this article had valid points. Too bad most of them have already been said before and are not 100% correct.

darthclone
January 17th, 2007, 21:45
dude thats deep }{ empotionally} i dont think it is losing its power the psp i was playin it at school then a bunch of my freands wanted it }{ the psp has the features but sony needs to make a firmware that makes it faster and advertise a little more i havent seen a psp comercial since last year

aries2k4
January 17th, 2007, 21:56
Well, live or die, it will always be my favorite portable emulation device. what other handheld can emulate so many things?
Its to bad it doesn´t have avi out though.

Alot of these articles are just opinions and speculation.
Makaveli777 and me, must have read the same article because I thought the psp was the 3rd most sold unit for the holidays also? hmm.

gdf
January 17th, 2007, 21:57
a portable ps2 simply would not work (unless they installed a MASSIVE harddrive to store your ps2 games on).it would be huge for a start and it would be incredibly ugly as well. they'd never be able to retail at $200 and people would be just as well buying an LCD screen to put on of their ps2s instead.

BrooksyX
January 17th, 2007, 22:05
Its alright though we already got a bunch of emulators, enough to last me years. Especially since popstation, I have a bunch of ps1 games I want to replay now.

thesandman
January 17th, 2007, 22:05
I pretty much completely disagree with you. While yes, the ds has sold over 9 million systems and the psp 6 million, that's still over 6 million systems. Losing doesn't necessarily mean failing and the only aspect of the psp that can be considered a failure is the umd movies. Sony is learning from these mistakes and has announced that future bluray disks may have files to watch them on portable devices (probably hinting at the psp). As for the supposed lack of origional games, as many of them are being ported to the ps2, it doesn't hurt the psp much at all. There aren't many people nowadays going to buy the first lumines or liberty city stories. Games sell most while they're new, and as these games are far from it, Sony's making a smart decision by letting them be on the ps2 also, as it gives them a second platform for a game that won't be selling many copies anymore on the older one. Another fact is that more games rated an 8 or above have been released on the psp than the ds, even with the multiple versions of nintendogs. Even though the numbers would not suggest that it is a better system, it does have more potential and I think that over 6 million systems is pretty damn good.

thesandman
January 17th, 2007, 22:06
and yeah i've bought 2 ds(s) (lite and regular) and 2 psps, (a second one being modded)

jbonett
January 17th, 2007, 22:11
I think sometimes people in this forum have a real difficulty to grasp the better performance of the psp. If you buy a Nintendo DS, you get just a handheld game console with no frills whatsoever on the other hand with a psp you can listen to mp3's, view videos and browse the internet as soon as you get it out of the box. For the DS you need to pay extra for these. If you look at the specs the psp is much more powerful...ok you say it doesn't have a touch screen and dual screens, but its better to have a much higher res. screen an analog stick and more buttons in my opinion... Now for the psp games... I played very good ones on the psp, and although not all of them may be good, if you see the Nintendo DS list you'll notice that the majority are children titles, rpgs and quirky stuff. I know that ds has some good games like Zelda(soon to be out),super mario, animal crossing etc. but don't try to bring down another handheld because you didn't even give it a chance or your so narrow minded as to trash it completely...

F9zDark
January 17th, 2007, 22:18
a portable ps2 simply would not work (unless they installed a MASSIVE harddrive to store your ps2 games on).it would be huge for a start and it would be incredibly ugly as well. they'd never be able to retail at $200 and people would be just as well buying an LCD screen to put on of their ps2s instead.

I meant using a DVD drive. I saw a while ago about some guy turning a PS2 into a handheld. And the damn thing was ugly as sin. As is this thing:

http://www.engadget.com/2004/11/23/not-quite-the-playstation-portable-the-portable-playstation-2/

However, the biggest thing to make it on a Sony made PS2P would be the DVD drive. Take a PSP, place a DVD up against the back of it, with the edge of the disc flush with the bottom of the PSP. Now imagine that with some slick Sony styling, two analogs with L3 and R3 support and 4 shoulder buttons?

They could also use the same design as PS2P and make a PSP2 (Playstation Portable 2) that had a UMD drive and a hard-drive in place of the DVD drive of the PS2P.

Would be smart of Sony really; giving consumers all the features of a PS2 in handheld form.

SteveV2
January 17th, 2007, 22:24
Personally, I think the PSP will go crazy when the PS3 comes down in price and they have a few thousand PSX games to buy online.

PSP 101
January 17th, 2007, 22:28
How could they discotinue the PSP by 2008. That would mean that the PSP had a 3 year product lifecycle. I thought most consoles and handhelds stay for about 5 to 6 years.

SSaxdude
January 17th, 2007, 22:52
Eh the PSP was only good for the hacks. If Sony discontinues it, at least they won't be patching up all the exploits anymore.

FrostyTheSnowman
January 17th, 2007, 22:54
It's sad, but true. Normal users just don't love the PSP like the hackers do, and the hackers aren't helping much with the sales, so the PSP may infact end up dying pretty soon.

However, the PSP is by far one of my favorite systems of all time, and I hope it doesn't die anytime too soon. (However, keep in mind this quote comes from someone who only buys a system that is hackable. :D)

E.J.
January 17th, 2007, 23:02
Well, even if sony drops support for the PSP someday this is one of the most (if not the most) impresive handheld console i have ever owned and the homebrew scene wouldn't let it die whithout fighting. anyway, i don't think the PSP will get abandoned in a near future.

DKing
January 17th, 2007, 23:26
Didn't the PSP sell nearly 1 million in U.S. in December? Yeah it was the holiday but that's still a fair number so I wouldn't call the PSP dead just yet.

The consumer failed Sony because they didn't buy into the UMD as a viable movie format, and Sony failed the consumer with the Pricepoint.

I disagree with the UMD format beign a failure as a consumer failure. Sony failed there too by trying to push YAPF (yet another proprietary format) onto us. As a game media format it suffers from long load times. As a movie format I believe it suffered due to the high price. When a UMD costs the same as a DVD what reason is there to buy a UMD when you could just buy a DVD and rip/convert it to a PSP file?

(Not that I have any idea on any alternative they could have used. Perhaps optical is the only way to go. That doesn't mean it will fly with the consumer.)

azncaliguy22
January 18th, 2007, 00:23
When I open the box for my psp I didn't even know the analog stick was under the D pad. It really didnt look good and it didnt feel good for that matter. It felt cheap, plastic.... I wouldn't of mind if they made it bulky with the feel of a ps2 controller. It would of been easier to play games. I was also hoping to see ps2 graphics...not ps1. Some games have decent graphics.. MGS PO. But it never felt like a game where you just keep moving forward. It felt like stop, pick a stage, than execute. Just like dynasty warrirors. The only game that I enjoyed was Dungeon Siege. UMD movies costing $20 than$15, Still it was way too much, compared to $5.00 bucks for DVD movies at the local wal-mart. The price tag of $250.00 was high and should of came with a 30gb built in harddrive. If it really wanted to go against the ipod. I bought a ps1, ps2 and a psp. But I feel I got jipped buying a psp. The ps1 and ps2 was worth it. But I'm starting to think the psp isn't... Sony should of listen to the fans with what they wanted to see in a handheld. Maybe the next handheld will have better features with better games. :o

The_It
January 18th, 2007, 00:28
well, if there is a new version of the psp after this, that would be great.

wolfpack
January 18th, 2007, 00:37
sony might discontinue the psp, but fans wont discontinue the homebrew

Vash!
January 18th, 2007, 01:13
i think what psp lacks is a good lengthy rpg-title like Final Fantasy. At least that would makes sense to me. In fact, I bet there are so many people gone through all the effort updating custom firmware, risking bricking their psp just to play Final Fantasy 7.

kiore
January 18th, 2007, 08:58
Hell ! by then Dark_AleX will have a PSP Customised Customiser for your Custom firmware, Besides by then the" iphone"will be the next toy to xploit :D

MikeDX
January 18th, 2007, 09:00
sony might discontinue the psp, but fans wont discontinue the homebrew

Looks like you havent been reading the news lately.. homebrew on the psp is now nothing more than psx emulation AND lua games..

danzivar
January 18th, 2007, 10:00
It makes me sad to hear you say that Mike.
Yeah sure psx on psp is the new craze atm but is definately not the be all end all of the unit.
Maybe you could bring back some homebrew spruce by releasing your wifi enabled Cps2 and Mvs emulators?,
as thats where its really at for me and several others.
Cant beat homebrew emulation and this little machine is more than capable.
Besides that there bound to be many other good homebrews to come.

It aint dead till its Dead.

pichon
January 18th, 2007, 14:47
Well whatever happens to PSP I know my PSP will be with me for many many years, I have a full library on snes, ps1, genesis, gba etc waiting for me.

I can only see myself playing another portable if MS releases a Live enabled portable with proper controls for FPS and HDD, otherwise I'll have keep playing my PSP for many years to come.

Oraichu
January 18th, 2007, 14:57
Haha, who cares about 1 persons bad thoughts of the PSP's future.

My only concern about Sony closing the PSP-project is that we're all downloading games, might make developers go for DS and not PSP when making their games.

Also, in ALL of these articles you find on the net who judges the PSP, they never include homebrew, which is the PSP's power. Without any form of homebrew, UMD-emulation etc etc, I'd agree; the PSP would suck.

jools
January 18th, 2007, 17:14
The psps been gettin more and more popular where I come from, in the last while almost a quarter of my school have got one. Also the good games have only just started coming out e.g metal gear solid, final fantasy, burnout, ratchet and clank, tomb raider...:)

Ichijoe
January 18th, 2007, 20:23
As far as I can see S0NY®™ only have just the One Ace up there Sleeve.

That 'Ace' would be how Future versions of Popstation (If that's the Official name for the PSX1 Emu.), will deal with Multi-Disc Games.

Namely Luna: The Silver Star Story (2 CD's)
... and Luna: Eternal Blue (3Cd's)

Sadly at this time there's no simple way to swap Game Disc's so by the time you get to a 'Swap Point' your basically in a Nutshell, fooked!! †

I truly see this as S0NY's®™ only hope in saveing there PSP™ Market.
Given S0NY's®™ lack of enthusiasm in letting us mere Mortals (i.e. those w/o €599.99(EUR) to drop on a PS3),
to 'legally' use there 'Popstation on our PSP's™.
Will surely come back to bite 'em on there Arse!!

The only thing that's stopping this from becoming a complete rout?!
The fact that you can not swap out EBOOT's from within Popstation (for the time being),...

If S0NY®™ should get powned on that Front aswell?
The it'll be G A M E O V E R! ! ! --- TERRORISTS' WIN!!!*

* Scratch that make that WE WIN!!

† Yes I'm aware that there are workarounds to slide by this, using cwcheat (still cant get it to work despite the so called
'Easy Install Method'), and a PC-Based PSX Emulator.
But, this method is far from elegant. :(

gr42178
January 18th, 2007, 20:36
The PSP will never die. It does too much. You can always use it as a MP3 player....and the old school nintendo/super nintendo emulators will never get old.

benn
January 19th, 2007, 09:11
the guys is spouting shit. psp is alive and well.... or am i imagining this forum?

nomi
January 19th, 2007, 10:42
NOOO!!! PSP IS THE BEST PORTABLE CONSOLE I HAVE BOUGHT!!!!! the ds juss lies in my drawer... dont even remember the last time i played it... any how THE psp i the best console ive ever seen and looks the best too...not the ds phat... not the ds lite... but psp! i hope sony can come and hit some homeruns to knock out there opponents this year. **fingersed crossed**

irongiant
January 19th, 2007, 11:40
Crap non-starter of an article. The only way Sony will drop the PSP and it's future incarnations is if they pull out of games altogether and that aint gonna happen anytime soon.

The PS2 is still selling more than the 360 so does that mean MS will drop it? Nope.

Ichijoe
January 19th, 2007, 15:51
What S0NY®™ might do about the PSP™ is probably irrelevant at this point.
I don't think this discussion is so much about S0NY®™ and there PSP™, but rather the lack of Third-Parties to this Platform.

And that's a simple fact that (up to this point), can not be denied!
What the immediate Future might bring?! ~Who knows!!~

The fact is the only Section in (or on), the Platform that probably has shown any Profits must be there MemoryStick™ Department.
Given how there Movie and Game(s) Markets are going, and the growing disintrest in the UMD™ Format.
Is it really to wonder why S0NY®™ would consider killing off the PSP™ ~in it's current form~?!

Will the PSP®™ live on indeed it will!!
With talented Peoples like Dark Alex to help us out and open our eyes to what that sleek little Black / White (Pepto™ Pink, Camo, Blue and Red IIRC), box can do.

But lets face it most People tech-savvy enough to be here already know about what it takes (Hardware wise). to hack a PSP™ and most so-called n00bs probably have some 'clue' about it too.

I mean I had to wait about Two whol Months till someone cracked the Firmware v2.0 so I could downgrade my Original v1.52 (Euro-Launch PSP™), as well.

Granted it might take some time but Hell who here didn't think that someone wouldn't (or couldn't), have cracked the TA-082 Mainboard?!

The answer is simple if a Human can make it another can break it!

But, to use this as an excuse for a flood of bad Games and Ports, is not justified!

As I've said before (perhaps not in this thread though), I'v personaly never had a better time with my PSP™, then when I loaded Dark Alex's Custom Firmware 3.03OE-B over my then Devhooked v1.50!

Given the PS1's better and ~dare I say~ larger library of Games, I'm not sure that S0NY's®™ current strategy of lame Rip-offs (i.e. Ridge Racer2), and old Ports (i.e. Ridge Racer1), can work anymore.

And what self-respecting Third Party is going to throw good Money away with the bad to develop for the PSP™ when you could be developing for the XBOX™, Wii™ or even the €599.99(EUR), PS3?!

No I have to agree with this Article ~it may not be pretty but, there is still a lot of truth in there~

And once someone figures out how to handle Multi-Disc PSX Games that will be it for me.

Huh who'd have thought that the PSP™ really would end up as a Playstation (1) Portable. (e.g. what the Normad was to the Megadrive),... lol

MaxSMoke
January 20th, 2007, 10:56
I hate these stupid articles with a vengeance. They are always some kinda "Me Too" thing, chiming in the victory or destruction of something the critics want to push or bury.

There was the Segway, that got WAY too much good press for an overpriced electric Scooter. Then these same media types dug a hole for the Dreamcast, even when it's games looked tons better then the PS2. Then these same critics chime-in in unison to support the Ipod, even though it's a poorly designed, under featured, overpriced, piece of junk.

And now, they are trying to bury the PSP. WTF?!

There is no justice in the world. The DS wouldn't even be on the map at all if it wasn't for Brain Age. That game, and that game alone, convinced HORDES of Japanese that they could all become smarter if they just drank Nintendo's Kool-Aid. And once they got them hook, they just rode out the wave with the DS Lite and the other Nintendo samples.

The DS still has the largest collection of truly awful games of any current portable. Read the reviews, you'll see the PSP has far more quality titles. And yet *EVERY* stupid critic always says the same thing, "Finally, a good game for the PSP!". Even though they've said that EXACT SAME THING about 50 other games! WTF?!

What kinda pack with the DEVIL does Nintendo have that allows them to produce the lamest handhelds, poorest quality games, and still dominate the market? I must be swimming in holy water, because I think Mario is getting dated and I have yet to see any DS title that can hold my attention for longer then 1 hour (with the exception of Animal Crossing).

The PSP has only had three stumbling blocks:
#1. The Price is too high
#2. The UMD load time is too high
#3. Failure to see the value of Homebrew