PDA

View Full Version : Is Blu-ray really a good medium for games?

wraggster
January 17th, 2007, 21:33
Via arsetechnica (http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/1/17/6658)

So there you go: you can either install game assets on the hard drive or by place redundant game data around the disc. The problem in both of these solutions is that one of the advantages of Blu-ray become less compelling. Why bother with a large Blu-ray disc when you're putting that data on the hard drive before you play anyway? You could have simply put that extra information on a DVD and then moved it onto the hard drive The same can be said about the redundancy approach: why not just use a standard DVD and have it load quickly in the first place instead of doubling or tripling up your data on a slower but larger disc?

The Blu-ray drive is useful for movies, of course, but for gaming, Blu-ray doesn't look like it's the best choice until faster drives are released. There is every possibility of a future PS3 revision with a faster Blu-ray drive, but that won't help current PS3 owners. Blu-ray may be the future for storage that's both large and fast, but right now it seems shoe-horned into gaming applications. It seems like developers may actually do better by shipping some of their PS3 games on DVDs. Games will load faster and manufacturers will save money on the discs. Would Sony allow it?

Shrygue
January 17th, 2007, 21:37
I never guessed that at the moment, Blu-Ray disks load slower that DVDs (in terms of gaming). Still, you could make an adventure or RPG game with hours of gameplay, given the 50GB capacity - just you'd have to wait longer for loading times.

F9zDark
January 17th, 2007, 21:45
Kojima is intent on making FULL use of BluRay's storage compatibility. And frankly, I don't give a shit what anyone says, when Kojima says he is doing something, God may as well have spoken, because thats how much belief I will put into it. (meaning that I am ALL for BluRay)

MZeroEW2
January 18th, 2007, 13:49
well a 2x Blu-ray is faster then a 8x DVD they don't really load slower they just dont have to spin as fast

oh and no every PS3 game will be on Blu-ray, can you say piracy issues, using Blu-ray helps prevent this