PDA

View Full Version : Stringer: PS3 Only Using 20-25% of its Power

wraggster
January 17th, 2007, 21:37
via gamedaily (http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14978&ncid=AOLGAM000500000000017)

PS3 games like Resistance: Fall of Man and the upcoming Motorstorm already look fantastic. Sony CEO Howard Stringer (right) argues that these games are barely using 25% of the system's "bandwidth." He also thinks Sony can break even on PS3 costs at the end of this year.

In a new interview with CNET, Sony CEO Sir Howard Stringer shared his feelings on how the PlayStation 3 has been faring thus far and what he sees for the future of the PlayStation business.

Although there was a lot of negativity surrounding Sony from E3 up until launch last year, and the PS3 was hurt by shortages of blue laser diodes, Stringer believes that everything turned out rather well. "... We're now very comfortable with our research program for PlayStation 3, which one researcher recently described as the Mercedes of games players, for obvious reasons. The million is more than we delivered of PlayStation 2 so, for all the anxiety, I think PlayStation 3 is well on the way to living up to that promise. That's a good sign," he remarked.

Interestingly, Stringer also noted that current software offerings for the PS3 would seem to be using only a quarter or less of the console's total power. "Lost in the shuffle is the fact that the current games that are out there are only using about 20 percent to 25 percent of the [PS3's] bandwidth. Once the publishers' excitement reaches a level of intensity that they start using more of the bandwidth, that will create additional excitement," he said.

It's no secret that the new Blu-ray hi-def format is a key part of Sony's PS3 strategy. Some have argued that just because someone owns a PS3 that doesn't mean that consumer is playing Blu-ray movies on it. Stringer, however, believes that the vast majority of PS3 owners have in fact been converted to Blu-ray users. "I'd say 90 percent of the people who (own) PS3s are playing that Blu-ray disc on it or playing other Blu-ray discs on it. Contrary to some of the reports, it is an effective Blu-ray player. The people who like Blu-ray are the people who play PlayStation 3, just as people who play PS2s were the early proponents of the DVD format. It drove the DVD format," he asserted.

The combination of Blu-ray and a Cell processor is an expensive proposition for the consumer and Sony itself. A recent analysis by iSuppli indicated that Sony is losing somewhere in the range of $300 per unit. That said, Stringer believes that the console can break even at the end of this year.

"I think Kutaragi-san (PlayStation chief Ken Kutaragi) said that it would be break-even by the end of the year, at the end of '07. PS2 was not profitable in the first year. You make it up on the content as the content gathers momentum, the licensees from that and so forth," he explained.

Makaveli777
January 17th, 2007, 21:46
Well I hope what he saying is true because even though PS3's graphics are good right now. They are too close to xbox 360's and PS3 was "supposed" to be more powerful. Well then show me sony.

F9zDark
January 17th, 2007, 21:54
As graphics get better and better, its going to become harder and harder to tell the difference. It is usually when something comes out that far surpasses all that we see now, that we will realize the differences.

I however, believe that Oblivion for the PS3 can wholly benefit from a texture upgrade. If you saw stock Oblivion for PC and then saw Oblivion with 2048x1024 texture resolution and paralax mapping, you'd piss yourself at difference.

And it would be the best title to show off the PS3 graphical abilities (even though the 360 could probably handle such an upgrade; the difference would be that it wasn't given it...).

pax13
January 18th, 2007, 13:12
For starters the PS3 obviously isn't working at 25% of it's total power, for that reason only the word Bandwidth is used. If u have knowledge of the 360 & PS3 hardware, the 360 has a slightly better GPU in general, while the PS3 has an innovative and a bit faster cpu, although the difference isn't huge, I'd say 20% max.
With that in mind the bandwidth will either be the cpu or gpu bandwidth, the speed at wich it moves data from one place to another. For wich both consoles have specific bottlenecks.
There will be no big revolution from better using this, but much more from getting to grips with the clunky development tools sony has, & learning to take advantage of the peculiarities of the ps3 hardware.

John Carmack @ CES

But the honest truth is that Microsoft dev tools are so much better than Sony’s,” he comments. “I think the decision to use an asymmetric CPU by Sony was a wrong one. There are aspects that could make it a winning decision, but they’re not helpful to the developers … It’s not like the PlayStation 3 is a piece of junk or anything. I was not a fan of the PlayStation 2 and the way its architecture was set up. With the PlayStation 3, it’s not even that it’s ugly--they just took a design decision that wasn’t the best from a development standpoint

VFerg
January 19th, 2007, 03:19
I for one use the PS3 right now for blue-ray movies since the PS3's games selection is not keeping me busy enough. Although I went through the list of blue-ray movies and I only want to see about 4 of the movies out on this format and ive already watched 3. Hopefully the statements made are true and we do see major differences in 3 years from now in how good games look. I think by that time Sony will be making superior looking games to what MS will be putting out as long as Sony can last that long without going under. Its sorta like how PS2 looked just as good as xbox for a long time but near the last year and a half of there games comming out xbox looked a lot better then ps2 ever looked. I think it will be the same here, the last system to arrive (excluding nintendo since they are not going for that sort of thing) will provide the best looking games in the end of its lifespan.