PDA

View Full Version : LEARN ENGLISH: They're/Their/There

quzar
January 18th, 2007, 02:36
If what you are trying to say "they are" then what you want is "they're". The apostrophe acts to make the two words into a single contraction.

(They're not here. [is equivilant to] They are not here.)

If you are trying to express posession, then the word is "their". It's just like "her" or "our".

(Look at the smiles on their faces.)

There, however, can never be used for either of those. "There" is often used to express location, but is generally for anything that isn't one of the two others.

(There goes a bird.)
(There is a bird over there.)

Now mixing them:

(They're not going to be there.)
(Their dogs are over there.)
(They're not fond of driving while speaking on their cellphones.)

FIGURE IT OUT PEOPLE!

Poor spelling is expected, but this isn't a case of not knowing how to spell something, it's not understanding the fundamental meaning of the words you are using.
[/rant]

scarph
January 18th, 2007, 02:57
thanks
uhh
i dont think people don't know this stuff

i just think they dont care

i usually use the correct form.
of course i never put the ' in they're

Tetris999
January 18th, 2007, 03:01
damn i was always wondering bout this

thanks english teacher

jk

ExcruciationX
January 18th, 2007, 04:20
I didn't think people didn't know their basic english lessons.

Video_freak
January 18th, 2007, 04:23
Seriously though, their bad spelling/grammar can make me mad. Sometimes I wonder if the world would be a better place if everyone TRIED a little more! :rolleyes:

Mark30001
January 18th, 2007, 04:26
This must be a very serious rant, since it's not located in JUNK. ;)

Gizmo356
January 18th, 2007, 04:28
Two words......

No life....

Get over it quzar no one cares if you make all these hey look at me I'm the only person in the world who can use proper English and spell correctly threads. Seriously who cares.....

Video_freak
January 18th, 2007, 04:30
Two words......

No life....

Get over it quzar no one cares if you make all these hey look at me I'm the only person in the world who can use proper English and spell correctly threads. Seriously who cares.....

Well, I think it's annoying when people use terrible grammar too... =\

Zion
January 18th, 2007, 04:30
I think its due to people wanting to post as fast as they can. i have perfect grammer and exellent spelling , but even i make typos occasionally becuase of the speed in which i want my message posted

quzar
January 18th, 2007, 04:34
Two words......

No life....

yea... all these threads. man, I must have made 30 in the past week. Luckily there's a cookie cutter response for this: if you think I'm wasting my time, what about you posting in this waste of time thread?

Think on it, sleep on it, pray on it.

Mark30001
January 18th, 2007, 04:35
I think its due to people wanting to post as fast as they can. i have perfect grammer and exellent spelling , but even i make typos occasionally becuase of the speed in which i want my message posted

:eek:

Video_freak
January 18th, 2007, 04:40
/\ That was on purpose. ;)

Destroyer699
January 18th, 2007, 04:43
Or was it...

By the way, Quzar just totally pwnt you soldier.

aCoL
January 18th, 2007, 05:14
its the internet not a job interveiw or real life we use things like lol rifk kik /rant also

scarph
January 18th, 2007, 05:26
Or was it...

By the way, Quzar just totally pwnt you soldier.

...sweet

opiate81
January 18th, 2007, 05:29
I sure as hell hope none of you rely on full stops to tell you when to breathe whilst reading
coz you`d be passed out at the end of one of my rants

the net is full of bad grammar lmao lol btw wtf lmbyfuc
its speed and laziness
I dont speak proper enlgish (im aussie) so why type it

ExcruciationX
January 18th, 2007, 07:34
I kind of agree with soldier here.

Who cares really? It's their problem if they can't spell correctly.

Accordion
January 18th, 2007, 09:46
I kind of agree with soldier here.

Who cares really? It's their problem if they can't spell correctly.

The trouble is, it's not just their problem, if someone types pigeon, then everyone else will have to read it.

souLLy
January 18th, 2007, 10:28
There's a difference between typing things quickly, making the odd typo or missing out grammar and then there's spelling words wrong and making yourself look like an idiot.

They're/There/Their
Your/You're
Learn the difference, really, it stops you looking like an idiot

MikeDX
January 18th, 2007, 10:37
There's no excuse for spelling now as modern browsers have spell checkers built in to input boxes.

Gizmo356
January 18th, 2007, 13:05
yea... all these threads. man, I must have made 30 in the past week. Luckily there's a cookie cutter response for this: if you think I'm wasting my time, what about you posting in this waste of time thread?

Think on it, sleep on it, pray on it.

HAHAH....like I said

No life.....

Go lick some ballz.....

Accordion
January 18th, 2007, 15:01
HAHAH....like I said

No life.....

Go lick some ballz.....

beyond salvation!

if this thread really means nothing to you, why are you posting? Oh! please learn how to punctuate, or dont punctuate at all. Ellipsis should consist of no more than three 'dots' closely spaced, as follows "…"
for general use, i am willing to forgive[and indeed use myself] the simple 3 full stops: "..."

Though i did laugh at the misguided use of such punctuation at the end of your "Go lick some ballz....." comment. It really is rather sinister

unfortunately, general rudeness of pigeon folk cannot be easily overcome.

MasterChafed
January 18th, 2007, 15:16

There are some capitalization errors, spelling errors, and punctuation errors in that little rant. :P By the way, you forgot to end your sentence with a period.

LMAO, sorry, I couldn't help myself, anyway, I believe Quzar made this thread for people who aren't native to the English language, as they would have never been taught the proper way to say "their, they're, and there". It doesn't really matter though, because I still don't understand what ever the rest of what they say is. Okay, rant over.

quzar
January 18th, 2007, 16:31
LMAO, sorry, I couldn't help myself, anyway, I believe Quzar made this thread for people who aren't native to the English language, as they would have never been taught the proper way to say "their, they're, and there". It doesn't really matter though, because I still don't understand what ever the rest of what they say is. Okay, rant over.

Oh my, that isn't quite why I made it. If they aren't native english speakers I have no problem with them making such mistakes, and yes if any non-native speaker learns something from this, I'd be happy but the main target is english speakers. I simply find it disrespectful to everyone else, as well as a poor reflection on everyone here when someone can't even bother to either: learn the meanings of words they use or take the extra 1/2 a second required to type a proper post.

Lets just say it's a pet peeve that was triggered by reading a string of posts by people where "there" was used regardless of the intended word.

ExcruciationX
January 18th, 2007, 16:59
HAHAH....like I said

No life.....

Go lick some ballz.....
Now THAT was uncalled for.

Nobody deserves that. Take it back.

jman420
January 18th, 2007, 17:50
I agree Quzar. If my ENG121 teacher can complain about not having one sentence capitialized. You can complain about the proper use of "Their" "There" and "They're" I always use all three in proper context, but I know I've seen people not using them in the correct way.

And DR_SOLDIER....

Get over it quzar no one cares if you make all these hey look at me I'm the only person in the world who can use proper english and spell correctly threads. Seriously who cares......

NOW! To show you HOW to write that properly...

Get over it quzar, no one cares if you make all these "hey look at me, I'm the only person in the world who can use proper english, and spell correctly" threads. Seriously, who cares....

If your going to rant on someoene else's rant, at least try to have good grammar, when accusing someone else of complaining about grammar.

With me in College English 1, I've had to completely change my previous poor grammar skills. As well as attempt to write papers without screwing them up.

The biggest problem I have on this forum, is the ammount of stupid spelling... Now the letters "Ur" somehow constitute "Your". It gets so annoying to see people spelling like they're just to lazy to add the other two letters it would take to spell correctly.

Zion
January 18th, 2007, 20:05
btw the post i made i did on purpose :)

ha ha , you all thought i was a typing noob :rofl:

mexicansnake
January 18th, 2007, 20:55

ha ha , you all thought i was a typing noob . :rofl:

You still having some grammar problems :p .

MasterChafed
January 18th, 2007, 21:18

ha ha , you all thought i was a typing noob :rofl:

To correct you, I believe it should be like so.

Btw, the post I made, I did on purpose. :) Ha Ha, all of you thought I was a noob at typing.

Cheers,
Masterchafed

Accordion
January 18th, 2007, 21:44
To correct you, I believe it should be like so.

Btw, the post I made, I did on purpose. :) Ha Ha, all of you thought I was a noob at typing.

Cheers,
Masterchafed

What in Hell is "Btw" !

quzar
January 18th, 2007, 21:59
What in Hell is "Btw" !

It's some lingo all these hip new age kids are using in place of "by the way".

S34MU5
January 18th, 2007, 22:52
wat u tryn 2 say bowt ma gramr?

tis prctly fin.

scarph
January 19th, 2007, 00:14
I agree Quzar. If my ENG121 teacher can complain about not having one sentence capitialized. You can complain about the proper use of "Their" "There" and "They're" I always use all three in proper context, but I know I've seen people not using them in the correct way.

And DR_SOLDIER....

Get over it quzar no one cares if you make all these hey look at me I'm the only person in the world who can use proper english and spell correctly threads. Seriously who cares......

NOW! To show you HOW to write that properly...

Get over it quzar, no one cares if you make all these "hey look at me, I'm the only person in the world who can use proper english, and spell correctly" threads. Seriously, who cares....

If your going to rant on someoene else's rant, at least try to have good grammar, when accusing someone else of complaining about grammar.

With me in College English 1, I've had to completely change my previous poor grammar skills. As well as attempt to write papers without screwing them up.

The biggest problem I have on this forum, is the ammount of stupid spelling... Now the letters "Ur" somehow constitute "Your". It gets so annoying to see people spelling like they're just to lazy to add the other two letters it would take to spell correctly.

in english 12 you didnt know how to capitalize. dang thats out of there

Cap'n 1time
January 19th, 2007, 05:27
There's no excuse for spelling now as modern browsers have spell checkers built in to input boxes.

Damn right.

Though I personally believe the use of " ' " is a waste of energy.

As for "btw" "imho" and what not.. That does not bother me so much as the use of "u" "2" "b" "b4" and the like. The most annoying of the "modern internet lingo" is the so called "1337" speak. I would very much like to find the original creators of this ****tarded language and bash their skulls in.

juggaleaux
January 19th, 2007, 05:55
I see what you did there.

mnuhaily22
January 19th, 2007, 06:07
I get enough of this at school, now here,lol

jman420
January 19th, 2007, 14:56
in english 121 you didnt know how to capitalize. dang thats out of there

Gad, I'm not serious, you can't get through college without proper punctuation, I was merely saying that as an example..

shadowprophet
January 19th, 2007, 15:08
hmm. Do people really mistake a little sloppy spelling here and there for mental deficiencies?

You know their are people in this world for one reason or another that tend to make mistakes like these for reasons outside of deficiencies. Dyslexia is a great example.
But then I don't suppose people think with their hearts anymore.

quzar
January 19th, 2007, 16:19
Like I said, I'm not talking about spelling errors. Those are understandable. I can't spell very well when using complex language or typing in haste either. What I AM talking about is simple ignorance of the terms you are using. If someone says "There going to the movies." that means they simply don't know what the word 'there' means.

dejkirkby
January 19th, 2007, 16:43
Like I said, I'm not talking about spelling errors. Those are understandable. I can't spell very well when using complex language or typing in haste either. What I AM talking about is simple ignorance of the terms you are using. If someone says "There going to the movies." that means they simply don't know what the word 'there' means.

My youngest son suffers from dyslexia and it is the examples you have shown that he struggles with. Now God forgive anybody who calls him ignorant and stupid because I won't.
I had kept out of this argument because I tended to agree with quzar. But in saying that, the majority of people who type this way do it for quite different reasons and it is grossly unfair to bunch everyone who mis-spells together.
The fact is that mis-spelling is incredibly annoying. It is certainly one of my peeves. But as this is a forum based in a country that allows free-speech and therefore free-type, there is no way we can be so single-minded and judgmental, given we don't know why the are typing the way they do..

shadowprophet
January 19th, 2007, 16:47

Dont sweat it brother, I was just messing with ya. I knew that would draw you out bro ;P
Just prooves I know my bro ;P :rofl:
hehehe At first I thought to myself, How blunt can I be, and still make this funny? Turns out It was golden lol, *Shadow smacks quzar around a bit with a large trout. :rofl:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5618/zoidbergqe9.gif
woop!woop!woop!!!:rofl:

ExcruciationX
January 19th, 2007, 19:10
Dont sweat it brother, I was just messing with ya. I knew that would draw you out bro ;P
Just prooves I know my bro ;P :rofl:
hehehe At first I thought to myself, How blunt can I be, and still make this funny? Turns out It was golden lol, *Shadow smacks quzar around a bit with a large trout. :rofl:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5618/zoidbergqe9.gif

woop!woop!woop!!!:rofl:

Nice one! :p