PDA

View Full Version : PSP Development Kit Taken off ebay

psphome
January 18th, 2007, 10:31
Submitted by www.psphome.com (http://www.psphome.com)

A PSP development kit has been pulled off eBay recently after within days of being listed on eBay.

The product was likely taken off by Sony because the device is only sold to developers and could give normal PSP users potential info on creating better homebrew and cracking new firmwares.

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/946/1166/1600/381559/Sony-PSP-Development-Kit-eBay-Auction-Item.jpg

MikeDX
January 18th, 2007, 10:36
Just a matter of time now before we see official devkits leaked since support for the psp is dropping like a stone.

M Dash
January 18th, 2007, 11:22
Now that's something interesting to hear...

mnky
January 18th, 2007, 16:38
eBay just took it off because it was illegal, nothing more, nothing less.

splodger15
January 18th, 2007, 16:46
Hasnt this been on the front page before

EvilDooinz
January 18th, 2007, 17:34
ya when it was first posted on ebay it was front page news . im supprized it lasted this long

IamAbe
January 18th, 2007, 17:40
DaX had "cracking new firmwares" under control. as for better homebrew, we have all the tools we need, though an official dev-kit would be quite useful.

BrooksyX
January 18th, 2007, 17:45
Yeah I would love to see what can come out of the psp scene if someone got there hands on a dev kit.

aCoL
January 18th, 2007, 18:06
somebady contact that man and get it from him !:)

F9zDark
January 18th, 2007, 18:52
Just a matter of time now before we see official devkits leaked since support for the psp is dropping like a stone.

Uh what are you talking about? If anything PSP support has gotten better lately than anything else....:confused:

StealthCP
January 18th, 2007, 19:16
Well, as you can see, the official Sony Dev kit would improve homebrew significantly. Compare homebrew games with retail releases. Compare the homebrew PS1 emulators with POPStation. As you can see, the source code and headers included with the dev kit are specifically designed for the PSP. The one we currently have is a beta, containing really old, inefficient code and only guesses at new syscalls that we know. With an official devkit, homebrew could be released for later firmwares (still illegal, but so what?) which could lead to downgraders. Who is to say that someone doesn't release a program that runs on 3.03, dumps the firmware to memory stick, adds in OE-B and reflashes? There you go. :D

F9zDark
January 18th, 2007, 19:24
Uh not exactly. Way I believe it works is that you make the program, send it to Sony to be burned to UMDs and then it becomes encrypted at Sony HQ.

So any homebrew made with a dev kit will be just as functional as homebrew made with our homebrew SDK; it won't be able to run on any other firmwares than homebrew enabled ones; so really having a devkit is rather useless.

aCoL
January 18th, 2007, 19:27
that seems like it would be making devs jump through alot of hoops for some encryption i doupt it would be that much work imho. The devkit would alow some insite to how everything works if it could be used or not i dunno but it will help further some homebrew capibilitys atlest a bit :)

F9zDark
January 18th, 2007, 19:39
Well yes but it ensures that no one has the key to leak; since Sony wouldn't leak the key itself (theoretically anyway).

I saw one of the devkits that was on ebay before it got taken off, and it has a serial connection that connects to the PSP via the remote port. I believe this allows testing of the games during the development process.

But it has long been the understanding of many around the scene that Sony keeps both UMDs and the AES keys at their burning facilities to keep the possibility of leakage to utmost minimum.

Emeriastone
January 18th, 2007, 20:56
were there pictures?

BrooksyX
January 18th, 2007, 21:04
there are pictures of the devkit. If I remember correctly its looks kinda like a ps2 with a wire going to a psp that only has a screen and buttons, no umd drive. I am not 100% sure though.

Mark30001
January 18th, 2007, 21:19
http://www.josephineyeu.com/images/auction_photos/DEV_PSP_1.JPG
http://www.josephineyeu.com/images/auction_photos/DEV_PS2_1.JPG

From this guy's eBay me page:
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=lingjr_at_sdk-team_dot_com

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
January 18th, 2007, 21:42
interesting.........

F9zDark
January 18th, 2007, 21:47
wow, forget that jerk. A majority of his preferred payment methods are just beyond common sense for anyone shopping online.

-Western Union transfer
-Bank to bank transfer
-Cash in a registered air mail envelope.

Anyone that desperate for a PSP dev kit may as well break into EA headquarters and steal one; chances are they got plenty.

Poem58
January 19th, 2007, 03:33
The idiot should have used "buy it now"
and it would have been in a homebrew developers hands before Ebay knew anything about it!

kando
January 19th, 2007, 03:37
they have umd drives or burners built right in :o

F9zDark
January 19th, 2007, 04:59

Yeah, they probably burn a master copy and send it to Sony for mass production; it has been a common practice since the dawn of CDs and gaming.

benn
January 19th, 2007, 09:09
and it would have been in a homebrew developers hands before Ebay knew anything about it!

you kidding me right?
look at his payment terms. it was a fake sale. you would have spent the cash and got nothing in return.

personally i am not totally convinced how much it would empower coders etc. obviously it would be useful but i would expect amazing games overnight.

and yes, sony do control all burning facilities. i think the nearest one to UK is in switzerland.... but i never said that.

yaustar
January 19th, 2007, 10:06

Nope, Sony don't distribute UMD burners. Beyond that, everything else is NDA.

PSPCulture
January 19th, 2007, 11:34

Can you confirm this? Which developers are dropping the PSP? Links please to relevant information.

Cheers

Mark30001
January 20th, 2007, 05:43

Perhaps the seller was hoping many people would bid up to a high amount. You have to remember these development items could fetch quite a lot of money on eBay. ;)

fistikuffs
January 20th, 2007, 08:57

I dont think "the idiot" was too concerned with helping homebrew more like helping himself to a few hundred dollars.