PDA

View Full Version : Compter Literates, please help...

The Hombrew Hunter
January 18th, 2007, 21:00
Okay, I recently got a GeForce4 card, and my computer has no slots open for the card.

No slots for it exists. Is there an adapter or something I can do to put my GeForce in my shit for shit Intel desktop?

drEDN4wt
January 18th, 2007, 22:07
you need to find if the geforce4 is agp or pci interface, and the same for your mobo.

it sounds like you have an agp card and a non agp motherboard.

both types of interface have now been replaced by pci-express .

The Hombrew Hunter
January 18th, 2007, 22:29
Soooo...that means...?

I'm not big on computer bulding and repairs and whatnot.

Tomlo
January 18th, 2007, 22:38
That means if there are no slots that the card can fit into than its not going to work... duh...

Theirs no such thing as adapters if you want to use that video card you will need to buy a new motherboard.

The Hombrew Hunter
January 18th, 2007, 23:02
You don't have to be such an ass ¬¬"

I told you I'm NOT big on computer stuff.

Well, is it possible to keep my processor and whatnot in getting a new motherboard?

Edit: I have a PCI Motherboard, so I need an AGP compatible motherboard. See above question.

kaffie
January 18th, 2007, 23:10
http://www.kids-online.net/learn/click/details/agp.html ?

DPyro
January 19th, 2007, 02:58
Nope. New motherboards require new CPU's. Your pretty much SOL if you want to use that video card....unless of course it's a PCI Express video card. Then you could get a new computer with PCI Express.

Tomlo
January 19th, 2007, 04:16
You can buy a new motherboard and use the same cpu and everything else, unless that feature is not at all avalible on that socket.

DPyro
January 19th, 2007, 15:35
It all depends how old the computer is..he needs to post his computer specs.

The Hombrew Hunter
January 19th, 2007, 19:01
Uh, info on finding that crap out?

Don't blame me, I'm fourteen...

DPyro
January 19th, 2007, 20:04
It says on the hardware what it is...check the serial numbers.

The Hombrew Hunter
January 20th, 2007, 06:49
Agh, I don't have a screwdriver, and I'm not sure where to look.

Maybe I should try to sell this GeForce and get a PCI card...

BrooksyX
January 21st, 2007, 01:55
Geforce4 is out of date anyways and wont be able to play newer games.

Tomlo
January 21st, 2007, 05:26
A geforce 4 isnt anything to throw away compared to using integrated, besides the better 4's are way more than enough for most games like counter-strike source, Guild wars, doom3.

They definately blow away most of the 5's and half the 6's. They just lack direct x 9 and Pixel shaders 2 which is mostly useless because no games really use them specifically.

But if it is a geforce 4mx then you might as well toss it...

The Hombrew Hunter
January 21st, 2007, 08:10
GeForce 4 MX is the minimum for Guild Wars, and only having 32 dollars does NOT give me a lot of options.

God, I hope I can find a good PCI card or even a new mobo to fit my CPU so I can play GW crash free.

I can't see what GeForce it is, there's a sticky paste over the chip that details it. I'll try to get it off.

...Damn! 'Tis a second GeForce 2. Now I have two of the useless things.

Tomlo
January 21st, 2007, 08:53
A geforce 4mx is really a geforce 2 so if you looked on a chip and it said geforce 2 its possible that its a geforce 4mx.

DPyro
January 21st, 2007, 15:34
Well if you wanted to know if you can run the game, you can go here (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest). Even my laptop can't run guildwars, and it's a P4 2.66. All because my graphics card is a crappy intel.

Tomlo
January 21st, 2007, 19:34
Guild Wars will run on any pile of junk as long as its not integrated video.

Morph
January 28th, 2007, 21:10
I got a pair of Voodoo2's in an old Pentium Pro system ^________^

Tomlo
January 29th, 2007, 13:32
Sweet... Got any Pix?

The Hombrew Hunter
February 1st, 2007, 12:28
Gave me all "Unknowns"

Gotta fix that.

Well, it runs now, but my guess is more ram to load the areas faster. When I minimize it the computer tells me about "low virtual memory". That's the only conclusion I can come to.

dejkirkby
February 1st, 2007, 12:39
You can change the size of your paging file to make it use some of your harddrive as if it were RAM.
Got to Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Basic Information/Advanced. Click on the Setting button in the performance box and then click on the Advanced tab. At the bottom there should be a Virtual Memory box. Click on change. You can then set it to use a portion of your HDD as RAM. This should tide you over until you can get some more RAM.

Morph
February 4th, 2007, 05:29
Sweet... Got any Pix?

No, but I'll get some for ya's.