PDA

View Full Version : MAP THIS! version 0.461S (beta) with support for PSP-290 GPS accessory

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

deniska
January 18th, 2007, 22:01
:::: Latest News [03/15/2007] ::::
MapThis 0.497 beta version is released.. more info @ http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=378940#post378940

:::: Latest News [02/12/2007] ::::
Google Maps has added subway/metro stations and detailed building outlines to some metropolitan areas.
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/googlemap.png
Details can be found here: http://lifehacker.com/software/google-maps/google-maps-adds-building-and-metro-stations-235914.php
New version of gmdl (04.4b) is available to download here:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33068&page=40

:::: Latest News [02/10/2007] ::::
Another beta (0.47) is compiled. The archive contains executables for both generic and sony psp-290 receivers. See page 42 for details...

:::: Latest News [02/02/2007] ::::
This does not belong to this thread but may be of interest to some people.
I got my hands on the factory manufactured cable, made specifically to connect PSP with Holux recevers.
I tested the cable with Holux GPSlim 236 and 240 units - works fine and looks much better than any of my hand-made cables. The cable can be acquired from vendors in both China and USA with a promt delivery. So if you consider using holux recevers (which seem to perform better than PSP-290) I stongly recomend getting one.
Details can be found here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45279&page=27

http://www.moby.cn/bbs/files/psphead_gpsp_104.jpg

Update:
Using the 3.02+ fw prx modules seem to slightly speed up the satellite acquisition, as they "memorize" the latest known location and use for faster "warmup" next time. To generate 3.03 prx modules you'll need to use C+D psar dumper with 3.03 FW update psar and user "dump w/o decryption" option..

DIGG THIS (http://digg.com/gadgets/MAP_THIS_version_0_461S_beta_with_support_for_PSP_ 290_GPS_accessory)

This is the first beta version to support Sony's original GPS accessory (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2pz-71-bh-49-en-15-gps-84-j-70-1mij-43-7o.html) (PSP-290)
This version does not have support for generic gps receivers.

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/sony_gps.jpg

Get it here:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/MapThis_0461S_beta.rar

NEW FEATURES:
- GPS-290 support (dhaa :-)
- GPS info screen with satellite data
- Screen rotation in map mode
- Trip reset option added to menu. Trip data does not get reset when you switch to map mode.
- Fixed a bug in TRACK UP mode. (should not switch the mode when approaching to map's boundaries.
NOTE: some features, like gps data re-play & wifi-download are disabled in this version...
INSTALLATION:
This version must be ran under 3.03 custom kernel!
It was briefly tested with 3.03 OE-B custom firmware, but may work with older custom FW version
(although installation may vary)
1) Copy mapViewer folder in to /PSP/GAME303/
2) Put usbacc.prx & usbgps.prx in MapViewer folder. Note that prx files are not supplied with this distribution.
I tested with usbacc.prx from 2.71 FW distribution and usbgps.prx bundled with Maplus software.
You can try using usbgps.prx from 2.71 FW, but it seems to have a problem reporting negative longitude;
so if you are in Europe and Asia it may work for you... (the 3.03 FW usbgsp.prx does not seem to work for me)
3) Generate a map for your area with gmdl tool and copy it inside the maps folder.
4) Attach the usb gps-290 accessory and you should be good to go...
CONFIGURATION:
added new variable to config.txt:
INITLOCATION=1
It should accept values 0,1,2 which may affect the initial satelite lookup algorithm..
Play with the values and see if it make any difference...
------------------------------------------------
Special thanks to people who donated money and time to this project.
------------------------------------------------

A few notes about the receiver:
The unit that I got from Play Asia seems to have a pretty bad sensitivity (compared to holux gpslim236). It would take ~5 minutes to get the first fix and frequently drop the connection. My holux receiver would connect withing 45 seconds and never drop the fix under the same conditions, scoring much better precision too.
Please let me know if you experience same problems with PSP-290....

DIGG THIS (http://digg.com/gadgets/MAP_THIS_version_0_461S_beta_with_support_for_PSP_ 290_GPS_accessory)

Psyberjock
January 18th, 2007, 22:18
Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes!

Dickhead
January 18th, 2007, 22:26
[this is great news and great app, soon i hope it will work with other usb gps units such as my generic bluetooth gps with usb support with a hack, now that will be great

Nakes
January 18th, 2007, 23:16
awesome! :D

Spectreman
January 19th, 2007, 00:35
Great work Deniska to get Map This working with the Sony GPS (though I will not be using the Sony GPS myself). Why is this not announced on the PSP Updates site ?? This is big news !

Chris.

Emeriastone
January 19th, 2007, 00:36
I'll give feedback once my GPS unit gets here.

Jes1FromFL
January 19th, 2007, 01:39
(my virgin post...what better thread than this!)

I'm not sure why this thread is not hotter than what it is....ppl have been waiting for this for a long time! Got my 290 on its way...got it on ebay for $75 w/ shipping...

btw, you should start a thread about the maps...i'm having trouble finding out how to make them & specific info about them.
ie: I'm planning a trip out of the state; does the program scroll to different maps? seemlessly? do I have to make maps for every area of my trip? hook it up!

props to the man himself!

tomkungnarak
January 19th, 2007, 02:17
what a quick update!!! you are so great. Let me try it and I will see how it works.

PS. I just posted a topic in Thailand local site about this program. I referred to your site. If I can't do this, please let me know I will remove the picture. Thank you for a wonderful job :)

here is the site http://www.flashfly.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=900966#900966

bandit
January 19th, 2007, 02:20
I need to get my hands on the GPS290. So expensive though. deniska, if I can get my hands on a GPS290, I can help test since I'm a fellow NYCer

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 02:44
(my virgin post...what better thread than this!)

I'm not sure why this thread is not hotter than what it is....ppl have been waiting for this for a long time! Got my 290 on its way...got it on ebay for $75 w/ shipping...

btw, you should start a thread about the maps...i'm having trouble finding out how to make them & specific info about them.
ie: I'm planning a trip out of the state; does the program scroll to different maps? seemlessly? do I have to make maps for every area of my trip? hook it up!

props to the man himself!

There is a thread about the maps...
To sumorize, run gmdl tool, bundled with MapThis 0.4 (non-beta), select the area that you need the maps for and the zoom range and hit "Generate map" button... There are certaint tricks to it.. so if you run in to problems read the forums..

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 02:45
what a quick update!!! you are so great. Let me try it and I will see how it works.

PS. I just posted a topic in Thailand local site about this program. I referred to your site. If I can't do this, please let me know I will remove the picture. Thank you for a wonderful job :)

here is the site http://www.flashfly.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=900966#900966

no problem...

bandit
January 19th, 2007, 03:29
Forgot to ask, will you be making this for 150KERNEL? I honestly think DA should of made 150KERNEL the default. Is there a difference between 303KERNEL and 150KERNEL

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 03:57
Forgot to ask, will you be making this for 150KERNEL? I honestly think DA should of made 150KERNEL the default. Is there a difference between 303KERNEL and 150KERNEL
The usbgps module & exports require 2.71+ kernel.. so it will not work with 1.5 FW..

bandit
January 19th, 2007, 04:11
The usbgps module & exports require 2.71+ kernel.. so it will not work with 1.5 FW..
Thanks for the info. If I can get my hands on a GPS for cheap I'll have to put it on 303KERNEL and move everything to GAME150 folder.

Ursus
January 19th, 2007, 04:36
:thumbup:

Just took a 5 minute test drive in Southern California, USA with the new MapThis + Sony PSP-290 GPS receiver. All I can say is... OMG! ITS UNBELIEVABLE!!! It took my 290 approx. 1 minute to locate a satellite. My signal did not get cut off one bit and I have 3 signal bars throughout my entire drive. My position cursor was on the dot throughout the drive as well. Best of all, I was in my car the whole time!!!!

Tonight's weather is clear sky therefore I do not know if this will work the same if clouds come in.

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 05:07
Nice to know that someone had better luck with this receiver... maybe I should try to replace mine...
Anyway, thatnks for the report.. keep testing...

wildon
January 19th, 2007, 05:46
gr8 news....:thumbup:

Ursus
January 19th, 2007, 05:52
Deniska, does the 4.61S version support Geo indexes? i added CA index into my california map folder as all.map and the zip.txt file you posted in the 4.1 beta version and im not sure if i m doin everything correctly, but it doesnt seem to function properly.

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 05:58
Deniska, does the 4.61S version support Geo indexes? i added CA index into my california map folder as all.map and the zip.txt file you posted in the 4.1 beta version and im not sure if i m doin everything correctly, but it doesnt seem to function properly.

Yes it does, but the format has changed with .460 version... so you'll need to generate or obtain geodata.dat file for your area... read the 0.4 version thread for details (starting at page 16)

ZzRicezZ
January 19th, 2007, 06:17
Does this work like a real GPS system? have PIO? cockpit mode? I always wanted my PSP to do GPS but recently I picked up the much hype MIO C310.

I would love to give this a try as well. But how do you guys like it with out touch screen? Hard to use?

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 06:26
Does this work like a real GPS system? have PIO? cockpit mode? I always wanted my PSP to do GPS but recently I picked up the much hype MIO C310.

I would love to give this a try as well. But how do you guys like it with out touch screen? Hard to use?
If you have a homebrew-enabled PSP - you can give it a try even if you don't have the gps receiver...
The 0.460 (as well as most prior versions) has the GPS simulation mode and a sample map to try out...

not sure what PIO is... if POI - yes it supports those... check the forums for more info...

ZzRicezZ
January 19th, 2007, 06:32
awesome, can't wait to get home to my psp after my business trip. Keep up the great work. I might actually start using my psp again because of you :)..

Ursus
January 19th, 2007, 06:46
Yes it does, but the format has changed with .460 version... so you'll need to generate or obtain geodata.dat file for your area... read the 0.4 version thread for details (starting at page 16)

Ohhhh! hahaha yea i got those dat files from other members and i changed them to all.map how stupid of me.. it works now.. one problem... when i press start to search for an address... my psp just turns off power... m i still missin something? i read the rest of the forum but still cant seem to figure it out...

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 06:57
Ohhhh! hahaha yea i got those dat files from other members and i changed them to all.map how stupid of me.. it works now.. one problem... when i press start to search for an address... my psp just turns off power... m i still missin something? i read the rest of the forum but still cant seem to figure it out...

My guess is, your file is still in incorrect format or has errors in it...
try installing cygwin and generating a new geodata.dat file... or just wait until in7ane comes up with a better front end for geodata proggie...

wangdaihan
January 19th, 2007, 07:26
Hey,deniska, i can't find the usbacc.prx and usbgps.prx file, could u share it? 3ks a lot

Adfundum
January 19th, 2007, 07:43
....This version must be ran under 3.03 custom kernel!
It was briefly tested with 3.03 OE-B custom firmware, but may work with older custom FW version...

Forgive a stupid question from a newbie to PSP Homebrew issues: :confused:

I gather from the above that MapTHis will not run under standard PSP OS?
If so, how does one go about getting a Custom Kernel, and what effect would such kernel have on running "regular" PSP software?

I'm dying to try out the PSP-290 (it's been ordered) with navigation software, especially for my regular trips to Europe.

Thanks!

NinjaMY
January 19th, 2007, 08:23
Hi deniska... thanks a lot for this great application. I've been following the progress on PSP-290 support for MapThis at ps2dev, and finally the day has come. Can't wait to try it out. I bought the Sony GPS a few months ago. Only used for Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops GPS scan. I'm from Malaysia by the way. :D

Just wondering whether I can use usbacc.prx & usbgps.prx from your PSP290TEST package?

wangdaihan
January 19th, 2007, 08:47
Hi, I've asked for the usbacc.prx and subgps.prx files but now I already got them dumped from the 3.02fw. Now your Map This works fine on my 3.02OE-A, 2 or 3 minutes to locate the satellite. I'm in Jp so I also tried the Maplus. Though it's more powerful I frefer yours as it's much more flexible and more area supported. And the google map is much better than the map in Maplus. Thank u so much for the great work. I've been waiting for your work supported by psp-290 for a long time:)

Psyberjock
January 19th, 2007, 09:16
Deniska, found a bug (I think) I was waiting at the gps info screen for it to connect and once it did I pressed select to jump back to the map and then I got a screen full of missing map tiles and it was locked up till it shut down a couple of seconds later. It was a fresh install with nothing changed other than my adding my local map created with the app that in7ane built.

Oh, I was zoomed all the way in on the center of the map at the time that I selected the gps info screen.

scarface969
January 19th, 2007, 12:19
Hi I am a noob and need help....

Is there a step by step tutorial of how to create a map of London or could someone upload one as have been trying to create one for the past 2 hours. Map this just keeps on loading the map. I just want to test my PSP-290 GPS with map this!!!!!

scarafce

nikko74
January 19th, 2007, 13:56
Perhaps i'm a noob too...
I've tried to create a map of France (not the whole country, just East...) and Mapthis just keeps on loading the map too. What is the problem ???

bunky666
January 19th, 2007, 14:01
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tested out the new beta version of 290 MapThis today on the same route i took last night - same deal, it works a treat, no droppout at all, acurate on the location, acturate on the direction(both rotating map and 'north up'), acurate on the speed. As was the case with the test software last night, its pretty twitchy when there are lots of buildings around you, and doesn't like to pick up a fix too easily, but in more open areas of London, its quick and acurate. I like it mucho! Well done Deniska - a genius indeed!

All I currently need to make my life complete is to work out how to generate new maps (better detailed) - I'm on a Mac. Guess I need to get a PC emulator? or is there a way of doing it online?

gr42178
January 19th, 2007, 15:05
I never could get this working before, but now that it is compatible with the GPS receiver I will have to try it again. Thanks Deniska.

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 15:06
Deniska, found a bug (I think) I was waiting at the gps info screen for it to connect and once it did I pressed select to jump back to the map and then I got a screen full of missing map tiles and it was locked up till it shut down a couple of seconds later. It was a fresh install with nothing changed other than my adding my local map created with the app that in7ane built.

Oh, I was zoomed all the way in on the center of the map at the time that I selected the gps info screen.

Do you have extra space on your memory sctick?
The program is dumping log file (for debugging), so perhaps, it filled your card completely?
Or could that be that you had a corrupted MS?

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 15:11
Hi I am a noob and need help....

Is there a step by step tutorial of how to create a map of London or could someone upload one as have been trying to create one for the past 2 hours. Map this just keeps on loading the map. I just want to test my PSP-290 GPS with map this!!!!!

scarafce
There is a separate thread, dedicated to gmdl tool...

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 15:17
All I currently need to make my life complete is to work out how to generate new maps (better detailed) - I'm on a Mac. Guess I need to get a PC emulator? or is there a way of doing it online?

Let me know if it works out with PC emu for mac...
As a second option, you can consider finding a PC (perhaps in some public library, etc)

redfireant3
January 19th, 2007, 15:40
got a question i havent seen. how does this program work with the gps unit? does the psp unit output NMEA or is it different output? what is the results when you use a different usb gps?

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 16:17
got a question i havent seen. how does this program work with the gps unit? does the psp unit output NMEA or is it different output? what is the results when you use a different usb gps?
Sony's uses some propriatary format (not NMEA)
Other usb gps devices would not work with the official gps fw modules

NinjaMY
January 19th, 2007, 17:34
Marvelous. My PSP-290 works perfectly with MapThis. Thanks again for this great application, deniska. Too bad, the only available map that I can get is; from MSN Live search only, and it's not that detail at all.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/8416/screen6jg7.png

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/344/screen7hw1.png

I'm wondering, deniska.. is it possible to convert those GPS map in Garmin format, so it can be use with MapThis?

vitalik2k
January 19th, 2007, 18:04
deniska, а ты по-русски говоришь? :)

bandit
January 19th, 2007, 19:04
Ever thought about putting speech?

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 19:51
deniska, а ты по-русски говоришь? :)
Nu a sam to kak schitaesh? ;-) Ya blin v Moskve 20 let prozhil...

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 20:07
Marvelous. My PSP-290 works perfectly with MapThis. Thanks again for this great application, deniska. Too bad, the only available map that I can get is; from MSN Live search only, and it's not that detail at all.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/8416/screen6jg7.png

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/344/screen7hw1.png

I'm wondering, deniska.. is it possible to convert those GPS map in Garmin format, so it can be use with MapThis?

Only if you somehow manage to match the scale and projection... so the short answer is probably no.
You may want to consider getting satellite imagery from google - they would give you tiles for 50m zoom.. no street names though :-(
If you get it for the same area as msn map - you may even substitute the satellite imagery tiles from google with map layers from msn (unpack the map, switch some with zoom folders and pack back)

vitalik2k
January 19th, 2007, 20:16
ну, значит, выражаю искреннюю благодарность от лица русских посетителей dcemu за этот хак. Скоро станешь популярным как Dark_Alex. Такие девелоперы как ты являются столпами PSP Homebrew, если бы не они, не было бы umdrip, devhook, 2.71SE , Popstation и других фундаментальных хаков. В общем пусть наша молчаливая благодарность будет давать энергию для новых хаков

vitalik2k
January 19th, 2007, 20:22
It's may be useful to expand mapsize limit from 2048x2048. Can it be more dynamic? 2000x2000 or only 2^n ? I want to fit whole Estonia to one tileset. I know that file will be very large.

vitalik2k
January 19th, 2007, 20:25
Does anyone know where I can buy Sony GPS with worldwide shipping? Yesasia.com gives it in bundle with software for $105, but play-asia.com ship it only to Japan, lik-sang is dead, Success HK don't ship it to Estonia. I heared Sony will release it in Europe in march.

Zoen22
January 19th, 2007, 20:50
Does anyone know of a good car mount that does not cover up the usb port? the more affordable the better :D

chaospunk
January 19th, 2007, 20:50
play-asia.com ship's world wide, i'm in New Zealand and they shipped to me, deniska this version works great in auckland, new zealand with sonys GPS, thanks, keep up the good work. i'm running 3.03OE-B, i couldn't find the usbacc.prx & usbgps.prx files anywhere spent a few hours hunting the net for them untill i found PSP290TEST.rar on this forum so i used the usbacc.prx & usbgps.prx from that and it works great, not sure what version they are, i'm in negative lang&long.

vitalik2k
January 19th, 2007, 20:55
I would be great if "gmdl" could optimize maps. For example simple picture recognizer can analyze every tile (in optimization mode) and if it does not have any road ( its filled with one color) will remember it somehow and don't need to make PNG. You can see zoomed tiles (in 1x1 and 2x2) are mostly empty (only filed with color, without roads), you cannot uncheck them in Preview, 1x or 2x preview allow you to uncheck only large areas.

Second improvement may be - object shape recognition (for example Tallinn has a lot of sea (unuseful) areas). Gmdl can devide large (512x512) map to small tiles and recognize what areas are unuseful for including to map-file, if it is sea - exlude it, no roads - excude. Excluded areas can be filled with color. Or it would be great if i could shape the object by myself - to draw circle or rectangle and unused areas are excluded

With those improvement you can save 2048x2048 maps and they won't be 32 GB

vitalik2k
January 19th, 2007, 20:58
play-asia.com ship's world wide, i'm in New Zealand and they shipped to me, deniska this version works great in auckland, new zealand with sonys GPS, thanks, keep up the good work.

you are lucky :) but play-asia don't ship to european union :( . i think sony prepared something special for europe ( MAPLUS with european cities)

vitalik2k
January 19th, 2007, 21:03
Let's make a final report about Sony GPS. Is it worth to buy? Does it have affordable sensivity for MAP This? Why am I asking - i've read an article that it loses satellites in subway, tunnels and it only may be used on motorcycles, not in cars. Of course external Holux is more sensitive, but is Sony GPS is too bad?

GIS
January 19th, 2007, 21:03
Great work Deniska :-)

kano85
January 19th, 2007, 22:09
hello i got the gpslim 236 since began of Deniska its really nice i would like to know if the official worth and if this new version work with both psp and gpslim236 thx u

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 22:19
I would be great if "gmdl" could optimize maps. For example simple picture recognizer can analyze every tile (in optimization mode) and if it does not have any road ( its filled with one color) will remember it somehow and don't need to make PNG. You can see zoomed tiles (in 1x1 and 2x2) are mostly empty (only filed with color, without roads), you cannot uncheck them in Preview, 1x or 2x preview allow you to uncheck only large areas.

Second improvement may be - object shape recognition (for example Tallinn has a lot of sea (unuseful) areas). Gmdl can devide large (512x512) map to small tiles and recognize what areas are unuseful for including to map-file, if it is sea - exlude it, no roads - excude. Excluded areas can be filled with color. Or it would be great if i could shape the object by myself - to draw circle or rectangle and unused areas are excluded

With those improvement you can save 2048x2048 maps and they won't be 32 GB

If you know unix or batch scripting, you can write a simple script which would go through map directories and remove all tiles with a size, smaller than a given limit. (of course you'll need to unpack the map and then re-pack it with gmdl tool)
You can try to reduce the file sizes by reduceing the number of colors in the tiles with photoshop's batch processing)...
Technically, it should work with 2048x size, although I never tried it... My biggest and farelly complete 1024x map is ~3Gb..

nsx2drift
January 19th, 2007, 22:26
Zoen:
the only car mount i know of that lets you use sony's gps is the one by "ram mount". I ordered one a week ago from gpscity.com . Its two parts: a cradle (this one works for the psp perfect: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/concurrency/index.html )
and a mount.
Oh yea and heres proof that it can hold a psp with a gps on it, nice and steady lol:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OHYM3WbJegs

DennyPSP
January 19th, 2007, 22:48
Тезка завтра на почте забираю GPS SONY
Как протестирую сразу отпишу...
Да и еще я нашел файлы usb только в прошивке 2,71 и вытащил из Myplus..а где взять от 3,03 прошивки?

NinjaMY
January 20th, 2007, 00:00
Only if you somehow manage to match the scale and projection... so the short answer is probably no.
You may want to consider getting satellite imagery from google - they would give you tiles for 50m zoom.. no street names though :-(
If you get it for the same area as msn map - you may even substitute the satellite imagery tiles from google with map layers from msn (unpack the map, switch some with zoom folders and pack back)
I see. Thanks very much, deniska. Will try that out.

bandit
January 20th, 2007, 00:27
you are lucky :) but play-asia don't ship to european union :( . i think sony prepared something special for europe ( MAPLUS with european cities)

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop

Try them. They are very very reputable and reliable.

acn010
January 20th, 2007, 00:31
OMG!!!!
but first my wii :P
thanks for the app, ill use it in the future

DennyPSP
January 20th, 2007, 00:39
Денис скажи а реально ли сделать программу чтобы перевести карты в твой формат из OZF2 (OzziExplorer) существует очень много таких карт а на гуугле всего несколько городов крупных...

Denis tell and whether really to make the program to transfer maps in your format from OZF2 (OzziExplorer) there are many such maps and on Google all some cities large...

deniska
January 20th, 2007, 00:54
Денис скажи а реально ли сделать программу чтобы перевести карты в твой формат из OZF2 (OzziExplorer) существует очень много таких карт а на гуугле всего несколько городов крупных...

Denis tell and whether really to make the program to transfer maps in your format from OZF2 (OzziExplorer) there are many such maps and on Google all some cities large...

MapThis uses sets of 256x256pixel png/jpeg tile images drawn in what I call "google projection".
There is information about google format on mapki.com.
I am no familiar with OZF2 but if you somehow can convert it to the same projection, then to image and then cut it in to map tiles - then it is possible... although it does not sound very realistic...

PS: 3.03 usbgps.prx did not work for me for some reason... but I recall that someone had success with 3.02 one...

deniska
January 20th, 2007, 00:57
hello i got the gpslim 236 since began of Deniska its really nice i would like to know if the official worth and if this new version work with both psp and gpslim236 thx u

I'll probably keep 2 different versions of MapThis..

DKing
January 20th, 2007, 01:39
The unit that I got from Play Asia seems to have a pretty bad sensitivity (compared to holux gpslim236). It would take ~5 minutes to get the first fix and frequently drop the connection. My holux receiver would connect withing 45 seconds and never drop the fix under the same conditions, scoring much better precision too.

That's because the Holux uses the SiRF III chipset. That stomps all over sensitivity of earlier gen receivers. I'm not sure what the PSP-290 uses.. I tried searching for the specs but nobody seems to say. So I'm guessing it's not SiRF III.

NinjaMY
January 20th, 2007, 02:09
PS: 3.03 usbgps.prx did not work for me for some reason... but I recall that someone had success with 3.02 one...
I'm using usbgps.prx from 3.00 firmware and its works perfectly.

ziobleed
January 20th, 2007, 02:14
thats a great program ( i still dont have

gps)
n format

i suggest some improvement :

1) add speech : in open format so everyone can add their own speech files in desired language

2) add an algoritm that calculates best trip (ie the salesman problem alghoritm )

3) vettorial maps so zoom is possible

bye!!!!

bandit
January 20th, 2007, 04:09
I dont have the GPS receiver yet, but you said that we can just look at a sample of the app. Is there a site that has these maps already made?

I live in the same city you do..but I'm in Flushing. So if you have a map available, can I get the NYC map?

deniska
January 20th, 2007, 04:45
Guys, please read/search the relevant forum threads before you post a question, suggestion or a request.

A Fn NOOB
January 20th, 2007, 05:29
On making Endagadget...AGAIN!
:thumbup: :thumbup:

zmcnulty
January 20th, 2007, 06:59
Deniska, zmcnulty of psp-vault.com here. Thanks for all the hard work.

I can attest to the crappiness of the official PSP GPS accessory. Don't bother replacing yours. Today I tried out MapThis using the usbgps.prx from Maplus and the usbacc.prx from 2.71, as you suggested. My results were similar to yours: taking several minutes to get a fix, and constantly dropping the signal. I never got above 3 bars, despite mostly clear skies today in my area.

A few notes that you may or may not be interested in:
-Apparently firmware 3.02 offers an improvement in the GPS signal quality; numerous users in Japan have suggested upgrades to firmware 3.02 for those having connectivity issues with Maplus (which ships with 3.01). I originally tried running the software with usbacc.prx from 2.71 and the usbgps.prx from 3.02, but for whatever reason I had no luck. I think there's a small filesize difference between the Maplus usbgps.prx and the 3.02 usbgps.prx.
-Probably related to my sorry connection, but the refresh of the display does seem quite delayed (at least in head up mode). Around 3-4 seconds in most situations.

Again, thanks for all the hard work. I wasn't able to test address lookup because the cygwin script hates me, but most of the other stuff seems to work great. I of course have feature suggestions, but I see you already have plenty to work with :)

dartpsp
January 20th, 2007, 07:08
Does this new version only work if you have Sony GPS device? ... I don't seem to be able to use it as a mapviewer (like I can with an ealier release)

But the earlier release doesn't seem to want to show the "blue line" when I try to make a Driving map.

What about "geodata.dat" files ... how are those different from the "GPSFS" file? I downloaded "CALIgeodata.dat" in the hopes that it would be maps of CA ... but no clue what to do with it now :-(

Great app ... just need some help to get it working to it's full ability. :-)

pctechie
January 20th, 2007, 08:12
Deniska,

Great work!!!.......thanks for all the hard work you have put into this project. :) Good news and bad news. The good news: 2 units with MapThis! & PSP-290 GPS units are working great! GPS units are pulling in 8-9 satellites and no drop-offs while driving down the highway and side-roads. Bad news: I can't not get the GPS unit to activate on my main PSP, which is a TA-082, running 3.03 OE-B custom firmware. Yes it is in the GAME303 folder, everything is identical to the other 2 PSP(s) I already had tested and running. I have tried the usbgps.prx file from 3.00, 3.01, 3.02 & 3.03 - but they all lock up the PSP with an error while the software is initializing. Any ideas????

justcerfin
January 20th, 2007, 08:59
Deniska,

Great work!!!.......thanks for all the hard work you have put into this project. :) Good news and bad news. The good news: 2 units with MapThis! & PSP-290 GPS units are working great! GPS units are pulling in 8-9 satellites and no drop-offs while driving down the highway and side-roads. Bad news: I can't not get the GPS unit to activate on my main PSP, which is a TA-082, running 3.03 OE-B custom firmware. Yes it is in the GAME303 folder, everything is identical to the other 2 PSP(s) I already had tested and running. I have tried the usbgps.prx file from 3.00, 3.01, 3.02 & 3.03 - but they all lock up the PSP with an error while the software is initializing. Any ideas????

are you sure you are using the 3.03 Kernel. Have you set it from the restore menu? I did the same thing and it failed to load. It worked correctly after I set it to he 303 kernel. I am also using 3.03 OE-B

pctechie
January 20th, 2007, 09:28
Thanks, but been there checked that too! The "GPS State" does not show on. I couldn't get the test program to show GPS data a few days ago either. I need to know if anyone with a TA-082 PSP has gotten their PSP-290 GPS unit to work with MapThis!

DennyPSP
January 20th, 2007, 14:49
To DENISKA
I have received GPS but at us the snow and a blizzard at me even Motorola A1000 does not incorporate to the satellite...
my ICQ 323050097

deniska
January 20th, 2007, 17:18
Deniska,

It would be interesting to know if your ta-082 PSP runs the Maplus and can "see" the satellites on the sat look up sceen there.. unfortunatelly I don't have the new board psps...
Another thought: can you try running the green program: it has "less moving parts" and more likely to work... also try playing with different versions of usbacc.prx

deniska
January 20th, 2007, 17:29
Does this new version only work if you have Sony GPS device? ... I don't seem to be able to use it as a mapviewer (like I can with an ealier release)

But the earlier release doesn't seem to want to show the "blue line" when I try to make a Driving map.

What about "geodata.dat" files ... how are those different from the "GPSFS" file? I downloaded "CALIgeodata.dat" in the hopes that it would be maps of CA ... but no clue what to do with it now :-(

Great app ... just need some help to get it working to it's full ability. :-)

It should work as stand alone (hell, for me it's almost always a stand alone since my receivers sucks :-))... you still need to get the prx files though...
GPSFS stores the imagery for the maps while geodata.dat stores references between street names/addresses and gps coordinates...
So you'll need to generate image map for California and them move your geodata.dat file in to that map's directory...(hopefully the coverage areas would match..

deniska
January 20th, 2007, 17:41
Deniska, zmcnulty of psp-vault.com here. Thanks for all the hard work.

I can attest to the crappiness of the official PSP GPS accessory. Don't bother replacing yours. Today I tried out MapThis using the usbgps.prx from Maplus and the usbacc.prx from 2.71, as you suggested. My results were similar to yours: taking several minutes to get a fix, and constantly dropping the signal. I never got above 3 bars, despite mostly clear skies today in my area.

A few notes that you may or may not be interested in:
-Apparently firmware 3.02 offers an improvement in the GPS signal quality; numerous users in Japan have suggested upgrades to firmware 3.02 for those having connectivity issues with Maplus (which ships with 3.01). I originally tried running the software with usbacc.prx from 2.71 and the usbgps.prx from 3.02, but for whatever reason I had no luck. I think there's a small filesize difference between the Maplus usbgps.prx and the 3.02 usbgps.prx.
-Probably related to my sorry connection, but the refresh of the display does seem quite delayed (at least in head up mode). Around 3-4 seconds in most situations.

Again, thanks for all the hard work. I wasn't able to test address lookup because the cygwin script hates me, but most of the other stuff seems to work great. I of course have feature suggestions, but I see you already have plenty to work with :)

Thanks for the report...
-I am going to get 3.02 prxs and try them...
- your delays are probably connected to bad reception and bad choice of satelites (resulting in high HDOP).. in those cituations sony's unit has problems calculating correct speeds and bearings.. plus if it misses a reading because of bad reception - then it has no data to move the map...

hoax
January 20th, 2007, 18:01
Hello Deniska, I am of Spain and I am proving with the Usbgps.prx and usbacc.prx of psp290test. Single it detects two satellites to me and it does not get to me to position. If you do not understand my English it is because use a translator of google. I wait for your aid. And thanks reason why you have obtained.
ah! I need to ask of where I can be able to the archives usbgps.prx and acc of the FW3.03 to prove with them.

deniska
January 20th, 2007, 19:16
Hello Deniska, I am of Spain and I am proving with the Usbgps.prx and usbacc.prx of psp290test. Single it detects two satellites to me and it does not get to me to position. If you do not understand my English it is because use a translator of google. I wait for your aid. And thanks reason why you have obtained.
ah! I need to ask of where I can be able to the archives usbgps.prx and acc of the FW3.03 to prove with them.

check downloads on psp-hacks.com.. look for devhook installers for the required fw version...
Once it installs your files would be in /dh/../f0/kd folder on the memory stick

hoax
January 20th, 2007, 19:23
I'm using usbgps.prx from 3.00 firmware and its works perfectly.

¿¿As you obtain usbgps.prx of 3.00FW??. Those that I use, are of gps290test, and from Valencia “SPAIN”, only receipt signal of two satellites without obtaining positioning. Please, I want to prove it, but the fatigue after insisting, does not let find it to me. And it is a disgust, having everything, that does not work to me. Thanks!

pctechie
January 20th, 2007, 19:41
Deniska,

It is very interesting that my TA-082 PSP running Maplus will not recognize the PSP-290 unit either. I have tried running different versions of usbacc.prx, but the only one I could get to even work with MapThis! is from 2.80, but still no success with the GPS state turning "on". The green program does not work either. I'm a bit stumped at the moment!

hoax
January 20th, 2007, 19:43
check downloads on psp-hacks.com.. look for devhook installers for the required fw version...
Once it installs your files would be in /dh/../f0/kd folder on the memory stick

I feel it. It appears to me like archives of the notepad, I forget decirte to me that I already am in v3.03OEB. :(

While conversations, I continue proving, and it happens the following thing to me. There are moments at which it gets to detect to me up to 6 satellites, but are in small time space. But even so maintaining a minimum of three satellites, it does not give back target location datas to me. that this happening?

dartpsp
January 20th, 2007, 21:48
Ok so I need the two files first then I'll try it again in Stand alone mode. Thanks

deniska
January 20th, 2007, 22:38
I feel it. It appears to me like archives of the notepad, I forget decirte to me that I already am in v3.03OEB. :(

While conversations, I continue proving, and it happens the following thing to me. There are moments at which it gets to detect to me up to 6 satellites, but are in small time space. But even so maintaining a minimum of three satellites, it does not give back target location datas to me. that this happening?
the receiver is supposed to "lock" on 3 satellites to display gps coordinates... in your case it "sees" 3-6 satellites but the signal is not strong anough for a lock... it might be your GPS unit's sensitivity...

A Fn NOOB
January 21st, 2007, 00:04
I wonder if the Sony unit would perform better with a cable attached to separate the GPS further from the PSP. Id bet that interference could be an issue, being so close to the PSP.

If you had a user that had both Mapthis and the Japanese mapping software, you could rule out the software and focus on improving the psp-290.

Also, It would be interesting to know if the PSP-290 recieves any commands from the PSP, such as NMEA sentences for "Hot Start", "Warm Start", "Cold Start".

Sometimes those commands start with $PSRF, or Sony could use proprietary commands. Surely they anticipated homebrewers using the unit, and had plenty of time to throw in some curveballs.

Im just going to cut and paste some text from http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm#proprietary

SiRF

The SiRF line of chips support several input sentences that permit the user to customize the way the chip behaves. In addition SiRF has a binary protocol that is even more powerful permitting different implementations to behave entirely differently. However, most applications do not attempt to customize the behavior so a user will need to make sure that the any customization is compatible with the application they are planning to use. There are 5 input sentences defined that begin with $PSRF which is followed by three digits. Each sentence takes a fix amount of input fields which must exist, no null fields, and is terminated with the standard CR/LF sequence. The checksum is required.
The sentences 100 and 102 set the serial ports. 100 sets the main port A while 102 sets the DGPS input port B. 100 has an extra field that can be used to switch the interface to binary mode. Binary mode requires 8 bits, 1 stop bit, no parity. There is a command in binary mode that will switch the interface back to NMEA. Do not use the ÊMEA command to switch to binary mode unless you have the ability to switch it back. You could render your gps inoperative. $PSRF100,0,9600,8,1,0*0C $PSRF102,9600,8,1,0*3Cwhere $PSRF100 0 0=SiRF, 1=NMEA - This is where the protocol is changed. 9600 b/s rate 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400 8 7, 8 Databits 1 0, 1 Stopbits 0 0=none, 1=odd, 2=even Parity *0C checksum
The sentences 101 and 104 can be used to initialize values to be used by the gps. Supplying these values can shorten the initial lock time. If the clock offset is set to 0 then an internal default will be used. Sentence 101 supplies data in the internal ECEF (Earth centered, Earth Fixed) format in meters while sentence 104 supplies the data in the traditional Lat / Lon format. $PSRF101,-2686700,-4304200,3851624,95000,497260,921,12,3*22 $PSRF104,37.3875111,-121.97232,0,95000,237759,922,12,3*3Awhere $PSRF104 37.3875111 Latitude in degrees -121.97232 Longitude in degrees 0 Ellipsoid Altitude in meters 95000 Clock offset 237759 GPS Time of Week in seconds 922 GPS Week Number 12 Channel count (1 to 12) 3 Reset config where 1 = warm start, ephemeris valid 2 = clear ephemeris, warm start (First Fix) 3 = initialize with data, clear ephemeris 4 = cold start, clear all data 8 = cold start, set factory defaults *3A checksum
The sentence 103 is used to control which NMEA sentences are to be sent and how often. Each sentence type is controlled individually. If the query bit is set then the gps responds by sending this message in the next second no matter what the rate is set to. Note that if trickle power is in use (can only be set in binary mode) then the actual update rate will be the selected update rate times the trickle rate which could mean that the data will be sent less frequently than was set here. $PSRF103,05,00,01,01*20where $PSRF103 05 00=GGA 01=GLL 02=GSA 03=GSV 04=RMC 05=VTG 00 mode, 0=set rate, 1=query 01 rate in seconds, 0-255 01 checksum 0=no, 1=yes *20 checksum
The 105 sentence controls a debug mode which causes the gps to report any errors it finds with the input data. $PSRF105,1*3E would turn debug on while $PSRF105,0*3F would turn it off. Sony

The Sony interface uses a proprietary sentence that looks like: $PSNY,0,00,05,500,06,06,06,06*14where PSNY 0 Preamp (external antenna) status 0 = Normal 1 = Open 2 = shorted 00 Geodesic system (datum) 0-25, 0 = WGS84 05 Elevation mask in degrees 500 Speed Limit in Km 06 PDOP limit with DGPS on 06 HDOP limit with DGPS on 06 PDOP limit with DGPS off 06 HDOP limit with DGPS off *14 ChecksumSony $GPVTG,139.7,T,,M,010.3,N,019.1,K*67$GPGGA,050306, 4259.8839,N,07130.3922,W,0,00,99.9,0010,M,,M,000,0 000*66$GPGLL,4259.8839,N,07130.3922,W,050306,V*20$ GPRMC,050306,V,4259.8839,N,07130.3922,W,010.3,139. 7,291003,,*10$GPZDA,050306,29,10,2003,,*43$GPGSA,A ,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.9,99.9,99.9*09$PSNY,0,00,05,500, 06,06,06,06*14Some observations

This is the format of Digittraveler from RadioShack.
If batteries are removed for 5 minutes on the Digitraveler the data is wrong.
The Sony proprietary message is described above.
Altitude is Ellipsoid, not MSL.
Heading is True only, Magnetic variation is not provided.
VTG, GGA, GLL, RMC, ZDA output every second. GSA and PSNY are alternated with GSV data.Has anyone cracked the unit open to see if they can tweak the antenna?
I think someone is going to have to a) find out what chip they used
b) Find out what software commands are/could be issued to the unit.

nicinico
January 21st, 2007, 00:21
To Deniska,

Nice Work!
I successfully used the 3.03 usbgps.prx using this combination:
1. Used the usbacc.prx from gps290test which I think a 2.71 prx.
2. Decrypted the 3.03 usbgps.prx using psardumper by Team C+D.

I also found out that I'm getting better reception with this combination, finding about 8 satellites and getting a fix within 30 seconds at night.

And I did change the value of my location to -36, by the way I'm a Filipino.

Maybe I was lucky that I got a good unit (GPS-290).

Thanks for the app!

nicinico
January 21st, 2007, 00:22
Forgot to mention my PSP uses 3.03 OE-B FW.

A Fn NOOB
January 21st, 2007, 00:24
"The method of making satellite capture fast with MAPLUS"

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://nurumayu.way-nifty.com/kame/2007/01/maplus_4b5e.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpsp%2B%2Bnmea%2B%2Bsony%26num%3D100%2 6hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26as_qdr%3Dall

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://nurumayu.way-nifty.com/kame/2006/10/psp_maplus_6c65.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=68&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpsp%2B%2Bnmea%2B%2Bsony%26num%3D100%2 6hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26as_qdr%3Dall

I dunno if that has any helpful info or not, but it looks pertinent.

DennyPSP
January 21st, 2007, 00:54
To Deniska,

And I did change the value of my location to -36, by the way I'm a Filipino.

Maybe I was lucky that I got a good unit (GPS-290).

Thanks for the app!

As you have determined that at you -36 location??

deniska
January 21st, 2007, 01:21
I wonder if the Sony unit would perform better with a cable attached to separate the GPS further from the PSP. Id bet that interference could be an issue, being so close to the PSP.

If you had a user that had both Mapthis and the Japanese mapping software, you could rule out the software and focus on improving the psp-290.

Also, It would be interesting to know if the PSP-290 recieves any commands from the PSP, such as NMEA sentences for "Hot Start", "Warm Start", "Cold Start".

Sometimes those commands start with $PSRF, or Sony could use proprietary commands. Surely they anticipated homebrewers using the unit, and had plenty of time to throw in some curveballs.

Im just going to cut and paste some text from http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm#proprietary

SiRF

The SiRF line of chips support several input sentences that permit the user to customize the way the chip behaves. In addition SiRF has a binary protocol that is even more powerful permitting different implementations to behave entirely differently. However, most applications do not attempt to customize the behavior so a user will need to make sure that the any customization is compatible with the application they are planning to use. There are 5 input sentences defined that begin with $PSRF which is followed by three digits. Each sentence takes a fix amount of input fields which must exist, no null fields, and is terminated with the standard CR/LF sequence. The checksum is required.
The sentences 100 and 102 set the serial ports. 100 sets the main port A while 102 sets the DGPS input port B. 100 has an extra field that can be used to switch the interface to binary mode. Binary mode requires 8 bits, 1 stop bit, no parity. There is a command in binary mode that will switch the interface back to NMEA. Do not use the NMEA command to switch to binary mode unless you have the ability to switch it back. You could render your gps inoperative. $PSRF100,0,9600,8,1,0*0C $PSRF102,9600,8,1,0*3Cwhere $PSRF100 0 0=SiRF, 1=NMEA - This is where the protocol is changed. 9600 b/s rate 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400 8 7, 8 Databits 1 0, 1 Stopbits 0 0=none, 1=odd, 2=even Parity *0C checksum
The sentences 101 and 104 can be used to initialize values to be used by the gps. Supplying these values can shorten the initial lock time. If the clock offset is set to 0 then an internal default will be used. Sentence 101 supplies data in the internal ECEF (Earth centered, Earth Fixed) format in meters while sentence 104 supplies the data in the traditional Lat / Lon format. $PSRF101,-2686700,-4304200,3851624,95000,497260,921,12,3*22 $PSRF104,37.3875111,-121.97232,0,95000,237759,922,12,3*3Awhere $PSRF104 37.3875111 Latitude in degrees -121.97232 Longitude in degrees 0 Ellipsoid Altitude in meters 95000 Clock offset 237759 GPS Time of Week in seconds 922 GPS Week Number 12 Channel count (1 to 12) 3 Reset config where 1 = warm start, ephemeris valid 2 = clear ephemeris, warm start (First Fix) 3 = initialize with data, clear ephemeris 4 = cold start, clear all data 8 = cold start, set factory defaults *3A checksum
The sentence 103 is used to control which NMEA sentences are to be sent and how often. Each sentence type is controlled individually. If the query bit is set then the gps responds by sending this message in the next second no matter what the rate is set to. Note that if trickle power is in use (can only be set in binary mode) then the actual update rate will be the selected update rate times the trickle rate which could mean that the data will be sent less frequently than was set here. $PSRF103,05,00,01,01*20where $PSRF103 05 00=GGA 01=GLL 02=GSA 03=GSV 04=RMC 05=VTG 00 mode, 0=set rate, 1=query 01 rate in seconds, 0-255 01 checksum 0=no, 1=yes *20 checksum
The 105 sentence controls a debug mode which causes the gps to report any errors it finds with the input data. $PSRF105,1*3E would turn debug on while $PSRF105,0*3F would turn it off. Sony

The Sony interface uses a proprietary sentence that looks like: $PSNY,0,00,05,500,06,06,06,06*14where PSNY 0 Preamp (external antenna) status 0 = Normal 1 = Open 2 = shorted 00 Geodesic system (datum) 0-25, 0 = WGS84 05 Elevation mask in degrees 500 Speed Limit in Km 06 PDOP limit with DGPS on 06 HDOP limit with DGPS on 06 PDOP limit with DGPS off 06 HDOP limit with DGPS off *14 ChecksumSony $GPVTG,139.7,T,,M,010.3,N,019.1,K*67$GPGGA,050306, 4259.8839,N,07130.3922,W,0,00,99.9,0010,M,,M,000,0 000*66$GPGLL,4259.8839,N,07130.3922,W,050306,V*20$ GPRMC,050306,V,4259.8839,N,07130.3922,W,010.3,139. 7,291003,,*10$GPZDA,050306,29,10,2003,,*43$GPGSA,A ,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.9,99.9,99.9*09$PSNY,0,00,05,500, 06,06,06,06*14Some observations
This is the format of Digittraveler from RadioShack.
If batteries are removed for 5 minutes on the Digitraveler the data is wrong.
The Sony proprietary message is described above.
Altitude is Ellipsoid, not MSL.
Heading is True only, Magnetic variation is not provided.
VTG, GGA, GLL, RMC, ZDA output every second. GSA and PSNY are alternated with GSV data.Has anyone cracked the unit open to see if they can tweak the antenna?
I think someone is going to have to a) find out what chip they used
b) Find out what software commands are/could be issued to the unit.

There is a thread at ps2dev that disscusses this.
To summarize, PSP-290 does not use nmea, maplus is faking some of nmea sentences for logging... there are a couple of misterious methods in usbgps.prx but none of them seem to take float (to pass location or stings for NMEA init commands...

nicinico
January 21st, 2007, 01:27
@DennyPSP

I did test this combination using the gps290test app.
I was playing with the location, somehow with this value (-36) I'm getting better reception, I don't know why?
In doubt, I tested it 5x and confirmed I really am getting better reception and fix. Might be a bug?

deniska
January 21st, 2007, 01:32
"The method of making satellite capture fast with MAPLUS"

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://nurumayu.way-nifty.com/kame/2007/01/maplus_4b5e.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpsp%2B%2Bnmea%2B%2Bsony%26num%3D100%2 6hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26as_qdr%3Dall

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://nurumayu.way-nifty.com/kame/2006/10/psp_maplus_6c65.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=68&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpsp%2B%2Bnmea%2B%2Bsony%26num%3D100%2 6hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26as_qdr%3Dall

I dunno if that has any helpful info or not, but it looks pertinent.

This is interesting.. thanks..

deniska
January 21st, 2007, 01:38
@DennyPSP

I did test this combination using the gps290test app.
I was playing with the location, somehow with this value (-36) I'm getting better reception, I don't know why?
In doubt, I tested it 5x and confirmed I really am getting better reception and fix. Might be a bug?

-36 probably has nothing to do with anything...
I have a question though - did you try to change location with a green-screen program?

nicinico
January 21st, 2007, 01:50
Yes, I did use that.
Played the location value from 0 to 100 and -100 to 0.
As stated in readme file that we can try a different value (0,1, and 2). I did try more than that or less than that. Anyway, I think since changing the value in green-prog takes time, when I reached -36 the unit (GPS-290) has adopted to the sattelite signals and has acquired the fix by that time.

deniska
January 21st, 2007, 02:24
I have a new theory about the location thing..
Perhaps the driver (usbgps.prx) stores the location in the flesh memory in slots 0,1 or 2 for different apps or devices..
The green program does setInitLocation(int loc) call with whatever value you supplied.
So if you played with the green proggie then you probably set 1 if not all slots on your flesh to your current location..
Now, map this, does call getInitLocation upon the startup,, so that is probably why you could get it so fast (something like a hot boot)
Unfortunatelly, in the current version MapThis does not call setInitLocation so it does not overide whatever you set before with Maplus or the green program...

Perhaps someone else could test this theory.. - get a fix with the green program, setInitLocation (with SQUARE, i think), exit and then see if map this "catches the fix faster...

nicinico
January 21st, 2007, 02:41
This proves that waiting time of the greenscreen-prog does not conform to what I last said (with correction to satellite) since I tested all values from -100 to 100 and still I'm getting a fast fix at -36 value. But this result is just my case.
And yes I'm pressing SQUARE to reach -36

dartpsp
January 21st, 2007, 03:07
Ok I got the two files and put then in the Dir ... but I still just get a Blue Screen with MAPTHIS at the top and then

- Loading USB Accessory module... error

Still can't get stand alone version to load/run

What else am I missing??

deniska
January 21st, 2007, 03:17
Ok I got the two files and put then in the Dir ... but I still just get a Blue Screen with MAPTHIS at the top and then

- Loading USB Accessory module... error

Still can't get stand alone version to load/run

What else am I missing??
Copying someone elses prx files from 2.82+ firwares may not work because of new encryption...
Use psar dumper by Dark Alex & co for appropriate firmware to extract the prx files from firmware update psar. (use the dump w/o decrypting option) and you'll need to run it on the same PSP..
It just worked for me with 3.02FW )

All these files are available at psp-hacks.com
http://www.psp-hacks.com/downloads/PSARDumper_300.zip
http://www.psp-hacks.com/downloads/302_FW_US.rar

And yet another hint (the green proggie comes bundle with 2.71 prx version which may just work for you if just copied, tssss... :-)

dartpsp
January 21st, 2007, 03:28
THANKS!! Got it working now (stand alone) I just searched my PC for the files and started trying them :-)

the frist I tried was from Devhook (from the 302 folder) that one didn't work

Then I tried ones from DevHook (from the 271 folder) those let the app load.

Thanks again! Now Let's see if I can figure out the "geodata.dat" and such. Or are those just used for when you have a GPS device?

nicinico
January 21st, 2007, 03:38
To Deniska

Sir, forgot to mention that I tested Map This! last night using my prx combination (3.03 gps + 2.71 acc).
And it worked. I converted the decimal values to deg-min-sec and compared it to google hybrid. and wow I'm on the right spot. Move along for twenty minutes without any issues.

Thanks again for the app, without it my GPS-290 is useless here in the Philippines.

nicinico
January 21st, 2007, 03:42
BTW I created my own maps since GOOGLE and MSN does not have a good map for my country. Sorry to say - 3rd WORLD LOL.

deniska
January 21st, 2007, 03:43
THANKS!! Got it working now (stand alone) I just searched my PC for the files and started trying them :-)

the frist I tried was from Devhook (from the 302 folder) that one didn't work

Then I tried ones from DevHook (from the 271 folder) those let the app load.

Thanks again! Now Let's see if I can figure out the "geodata.dat" and such. Or are those just used for when you have a GPS device?

geolook up in it's current state is mostly used in non gps mode..

deniska
January 21st, 2007, 03:44
BTW I created my own maps since GOOGLE and MSN does not have a good map for my country. Sorry to say - 3rd WORLD LOL.

how? with satelite imagery? google seem to have a pretty good satellite photo coverage of your area..

nicinico
January 21st, 2007, 03:55
Yes, but out of luck my location is in the part where two images meet. And its blurred.

Satellite Imagery? It's old, I can't see MALL OF ASIA!

dartpsp
January 21st, 2007, 06:49
I'm trying to use the Google Maps program to make a make of California ... I've even tried to narrow it down to just southern California. But I'm getting...

Area selected with minimum zoom is too big (2048 where 1024 max)

I'm hoping to be able to have "all" of California or just southern CA and be zoomable down to the street name level. Any ideas / tips?

Also is there a way to take out some of the "middle" zoom levels to save some file size?

P.S. I still have no clue what to do with the CALIgeodata.dat file that a previous poster posted, nor do I even know what the file's purpose is ;-)

pctechie
January 21st, 2007, 07:53
Hey!........Does anyone have the PSP-290 working on a TA-082 PSP???? Please post a reply if you do. Thanks. :)

knightrider
January 21st, 2007, 08:05
dart, the geodata.dat file is for after you have your map made. it will allow you to lookup address also reverse lookup the address on where your cursor is. my solution is just to make maps of different points of interest for me, i have one map for san diego, one for LA and then one more for the desert area.

dartpsp
January 21st, 2007, 08:19
Ok Knightrider - thanks.

I dl'd a geodata.dat file that supposed to be for CA ... will that work for all CA area maps I make or do I need to make my own geodata.dat file for each map I make? And on that note .... how would I make a geodata.dat file?

knightrider
January 21st, 2007, 08:26
no i have the same file, it covers all of CA. and as far as making the geodata file, i dled the same one you have because i couldnt get the geocoder program to make a geodata.dat for me, i kept getting errors during the compression phase. so unless you need a different state, thats all you need.

dartpsp
January 21st, 2007, 08:29
Cool ... as soon as my map finishes being made I'll be able to give it a shot :-)

Where does the geodata file go? also does the name matter?

icarter
January 21st, 2007, 08:49
thanks deniska. it work great. cant wait for ur next update of this program

the signal was poor when i used prx from 2.71 but when i used prx from 3.03, it improves alot. no more dropping signal and lock in about 1 min.

splodger15
January 21st, 2007, 09:54
Nice Work Deniska. Keep it up

knightrider
January 21st, 2007, 10:25
Cool ... as soon as my map finishes being made I'll be able to give it a shot :-)

Where does the geodata file go? also does the name matter?

it goes inside your _SoCal (or whatever you name it when your map make it) folder and i would assume it has to be geodata.dat.

dartpsp
January 21st, 2007, 10:43
Ok got it working ... somewhat.

When I select Address Geolookup my PSP shuts off

But the Reverse Geolookup works.

Also is there a way to remove some of the Zoom levels (to shrink the file size down) The "last two" Zooms aren't needed, all I need is zoomed up to the street name level. Is it possible?

hoax
January 21st, 2007, 11:21
thanks deniska. it work great. cant wait for ur next update of this program

the signal was poor when i used prx from 2.71 but when i used prx from 3.03, it improves alot. no more dropping signal and lock in about 1 min.

Good morning to all from Spain. Reason why I am seeing people better works with prx of the v fw3.03 to him. I liked to know as they extract them.

nicinico
January 21st, 2007, 11:37
Good morning to all from Spain. Reason why I am seeing people better works with prx of the v fw3.03 to him. I liked to know as they extract them.

Try using psardumper from Team C+D to dump 3.03 prx .
I did use the combination of 2.71 usbacc.prx and 3.03 usbgps.prx for it to work.

If used together, 3.03 usbacc.prx and usbgps.prx does not work on me.

nicinico
January 21st, 2007, 12:04
@hoax

Try this.
FREE (http://rapidshare.com/files/12675731/mapViewer.rar.html)

hoax
January 21st, 2007, 12:25
@hoax

Try this.

Thanks thanks thanks! Right now I am going to prove it…

DennyPSP
January 21st, 2007, 12:50
@hoax

Try this.

And where you have found a file in the size 29 kbyte?
I anywhere in firmware 2,70-3,03 did not see such

hoax
January 21st, 2007, 12:55
Of which version is these? I have proven them and I had a little while has given to position, with log and lat me negative. There am proford to change in the test, the initial location up to -100 and in some zones it detects 7 satellites to me. Although as I say single there has been a small space of time where been I have positioned…

nicinico
January 21st, 2007, 13:24
@DennyPSP

It's a decrypted 3.03 I pressed SQUARE to dump.

usbacc.prx from green screen program, I guess a 2.71 FW dump.
usbgps.prx from DECRYPTED 3.03 FW using Psardump by Team C+D which was released Christmas Time.
PSARDUMP RELEASE (http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=40458)

hoax
January 21st, 2007, 15:09
I do not understand because it does not position to me. The comment in a Spanish forum and to all happens to us the same. That we can do?
In psp290test with prx of 3,03 it positions to me (with altitude and length negative) but in mapthis single detects 1 satellite…

DennyPSP
January 21st, 2007, 15:45
For me GPS-290 works c Maplus shows up to 10 satellites and shows speed of movement of the my car...
Tomorrow video capture I shall make...

nikitenko91
January 21st, 2007, 18:37
i got this software, i did everything but where do i get the 2 .prx files? please help

tapioka
January 21st, 2007, 18:41
hi .
it's my first post in your foruml.

i want to say a big thanks to deniska for the great work and the release he make.

sorry for my bad languauge, i'm french.

i have a question: i have tested the homebrew with the gps-290 of sony. but the homebrew don't found satelitte.

this question is for deniska, or anyother member who know the answer. i want to know if the homebrew functins in europe?

i download map of my city and i activated the gps, but not satelite have been detetected.

thanks for your answer

nikitenko91
January 21st, 2007, 19:47
can you give me the two .prx files or can you tell me where to get them at?

knightrider
January 21st, 2007, 20:57
you can get the 2 prx files from the psp290test, look for the download in the other thread.

deniska
January 21st, 2007, 21:13
Gents! Let's not contaminate this (and any other) thread with stupid and repetitive questions.
Things like "where I get prx files", "where to get maps" have been answered a number of times already, so please READ THE FORUM before you post your questions!!!

kiusuke
January 21st, 2007, 21:36
hello, i want to give to tapioka an answer 'coz i'm french too.

this homebrew seems to works in our country, i've already succed to fixe some satelites and have my position (with latitude/longitude/altitude) but only in the psp-290 gps test and never in the last mapthis (i don't find where see to know how many satelite Gps have in view). i live near paris.

however i've used the usbacc.prx decrypted from 2.71 ans usbgps.prx from 3.03 to increase the reception (better than 2.71 for me).

but for this moment i'ts so instable ('coz the weather's not like?).

tapioka
January 21st, 2007, 21:49
than you kiusuke.

it's you in the french forum metagames?.

if you want contact me with MP to talk about that. :)

@ deniska: sorry if you think i request a map or prx or anything, i just want to know your opinion about the question. i'm verry sorry.

thanks a lot all.

dcemuUser25
January 22nd, 2007, 01:46
To anyone out there that might be able to help,

I have just got the psp-290 attachment to be used with the psp. The issue is that while PSP290Test has no problems detecting the satellites and getting fixes, I don't get any signals at all from using MapThis, after waiting for more than 7minutes. I am pretty sure the maps and all are correctly placed.

Does anyone know where I can find the debug messages for more details or what I should do? Any help would be much appreciated. BTW, I am located in Aust.

Cheers,

nikitenko91
January 22nd, 2007, 01:57

nikitenko91
January 22nd, 2007, 01:59
can some one please give me the 2 .prx files or tell me exactly how and where i can get them at

dcemuUser25
January 22nd, 2007, 02:11
I think you can use the prx files from PSP290Test located in campprx. give it a go

dcemuUser25
January 22nd, 2007, 02:19
oops, sorry, I think I found the info. about the gps option. gosh, signal is really bad....

nikitenko91
January 22nd, 2007, 02:52
i am trying to see if i can get the map veiwer 4.61s running before i buy the psp-290 accecory, and i did every thing where it goes and when i try to run the appliction i get a (80020148) error, could that be beacuse i dont have the psp-290 accecory? or i got something wrong with the .prx files? please help ASAP. :confused:

kiusuke
January 22nd, 2007, 02:53
To anyone out there that might be able to help,

I have just got the psp-290 attachment to be used with the psp. The issue is that while PSP290Test has no problems detecting the satellites and getting fixes, I don't get any signals at all from using MapThis, after waiting for more than 7minutes. I am pretty sure the maps and all are correctly placed.

Does anyone know where I can find the debug messages for more details or what I should do? Any help would be much appreciated. BTW, I am located in Aust.

Cheers,

use psp-290 gps test for more detailled about your gps signals ;)

afiser
January 22nd, 2007, 03:03
can anyone tell me what the best combination of prx's is? and tell me if i need to dump with encrytion and sig check or if it needs to be decrypted? thanks alot to whoever helps me :)

dcemuUser25
January 22nd, 2007, 03:53
thanks kiusuke. I just don't understand...the same prx's that work fine for me in psp290test doesn't seem to work correctly for me at all in mapthis. Any ideas?

I also tried using decrypted 3.03 prxs but they too don't work..

deniska
January 22nd, 2007, 03:54
can anyone tell me what the best combination of prx's is? and tell me if i need to dump with encrytion and sig check or if it needs to be decrypted? thanks alot to whoever helps me :)
The 3.03 prx seem to work best for me.
Dump encrypted ones with C+D psar dumper tool and 3.03 FW ugrade psar

But in general, the only advantage of 3.00+ gps modules is that they would "remember" your latest location and use it for faster startup the next time.
I doubt that they could improve the sensitivity of the unit...

deniska
January 22nd, 2007, 03:57
i am trying to see if i can get the map veiwer 4.61s running before i buy the psp-290 accecory, and i did every thing where it goes and when i try to run the appliction i get a (80020148) error, could that be beacuse i dont have the psp-290 accecory? or i got something wrong with the .prx files? please help ASAP. :confused:

what firmware do you have?
You MUST have custom firmware (3.02+) by dark alex and make sure you run in under 3.03 kernel

deniska
January 22nd, 2007, 04:06
Ok got it working ... somewhat.

When I select Address Geolookup my PSP shuts off

But the Reverse Geolookup works.

Also is there a way to remove some of the Zoom levels (to shrink the file size down) The "last two" Zooms aren't needed, all I need is zoomed up to the street name level. Is it possible?

There seem to be problems with geolookup function, probably because of some memory problems...
If you use the program w/o the receiver- use non-psp290 version - it's somewhat more stable.

You could "unpack" you map with gmdl tool and remove some of the folder inside 1x,2x.. directories...
The cleaner way would be to select the zoom range for you map during map generation (click on "advanced" button)

afiser
January 22nd, 2007, 04:13

But in general, the only advantage of 3.00+ gps modules is that they would "remember" your latest location and use it for faster startup the next time.
thanks for the great help i really enjoy the app and what you are doing for the psp community :) once again thanks!

dcemuUser25
January 22nd, 2007, 04:19
Pardon me for repeating my question again but I have looked all previous posts and am very desperate to get this to work.

I tried using decrypted usbgps.prx from 3.03FW with usbacc.prx from 2.71FW. It works well in psp290test, getting up to 9 sat-in-view with fixes within 5minutes.

It doesn't, however, work the same way in MapViewer. Can someone help? :-(

Thanks.

deniska
January 22nd, 2007, 04:43
Pardon me for repeating my question again but I have looked all previous posts and am very desperate to get this to work.

I tried using decrypted usbgps.prx from 3.03FW with usbacc.prx from 2.71FW. It works well in psp290test, getting up to 9 sat-in-view with fixes within 5minutes.

It doesn't, however, work the same way in MapViewer. Can someone help? :-(

Thanks.
Do you see time running in the satellite look up window inside mapthis?
Do you see any satellites in view in the same window? Also check the gps device status - is it ON or OFF?

dcemuUser25
January 22nd, 2007, 04:47
In mapthis, the time is running but it is not the right time, i.e. 04/16/2006. GPS state is ON. SAT-IN-VIEW could get to 2 if lucky(with usbgps.prx in campprx) but that's it.

Thanks for replying deniska, appreciate it.

deniska
January 22nd, 2007, 04:59
In mapthis, the time is running but it is not the right time, i.e. 04/16/2006. GPS state is ON. SAT-IN-VIEW could get to 2 if lucky(with usbgps.prx in campprx) but that's it.

Well, look like it's just a reception issue with your receiver..
Keep trying.. perhaps find a better/clearer location to get the inital fix...
Try tilting the anntenna see what works best for ya..
Also try changing INITLOCATION value in system/config.txt file

nicinico
January 22nd, 2007, 05:01

For Map This! the PRX must be inside the mapviewer folder in PSP/GAME303.

dcemuUser25
January 22nd, 2007, 05:03
hi, yeah, the prx is inside the mapviewer folder. strange thing is, with the same setup at the same location, psp290test can get a fix on up to 6 satellites while mapthis shows nothing at all..

thx.

nicinico
January 22nd, 2007, 05:08

Sorry I'm having trouble with my connection (TAIWAN Earthquake Dec. 27 destroyed optical fibres form Philippines to Taiwan). I just hope I can help. BYE FOR NOW.

dcemuUser25
January 22nd, 2007, 05:12
thanks nicino. yes, it's inside the mapviewer folder in psp/game303 but still not working..

Psyberjock
January 22nd, 2007, 05:50
hi, yeah, the prx is inside the mapviewer folder. strange thing is, with the same setup at the same location, psp290test can get a fix on up to 6 satellites while mapthis shows nothing at all..

thx.

I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't been able to post it, but I'm having the same problem. The mapviewer works flawlessly and faster than Maplus, but Mapthis just can't connect to sattelites using any of the location sets. The same location and time will see maplus and the gps viewer work well and quickly but mapthis doesn't get a fix and doesn't see more than perhaps 3 satellites. Maybe the overhead distortion thing is set too high in mapthis.

I got mapthis to connect once and it was with location 0 and took about 15 minutes. Then it immediately crashed when I exited the gps viewer screen of mapthis. Since then I haven't gotten a connection. I'll try again soon and let you know what happens.

I did read the post concerning the fast fix in maplus. I honestly think that the 0 location is a reset of the gps data. I think the program probably changes the location within the program depending on how the connection goes out. JUST FOR EXAMPLE: 0 is a reinit, 1 perhaps a reboot or waking from sleep mode, and 2 perhaps is a connection loss due to obstructions impedeing the signal.

I'm not sure of this, but it makes sense.

Anyway, Mapthis doesn't connect as well as the mapviewer on any location setting.

dartpsp
January 22nd, 2007, 06:15
There seem to be problems with geolookup function, probably because of some memory problems...
If you use the program w/o the receiver- use non-psp290 version - it's somewhat more stable.

You could "unpack" you map with gmdl tool and remove some of the folder inside 1x,2x.. directories...
The cleaner way would be to select the zoom range for you map during map generation (click on "advanced" button)
Thanks for the tip. I tried use the version 46 but now the Reverse look up still works but the Address Locator no longer shuts the PSP off ... but it says "No Matches Found"

Any more tips ;-)

Thanks everyone for all the help so far!

DennyPSP
January 22nd, 2007, 07:14
AAAAaaaaaaa Superrrrr
that works with .prx from FW 2.70 Video i can capture later, this video is very bad...
This image has made in 8:00
my FW 3.03 OE-B --->\Game\Map This\.... NOT FOR GAME303 !!

http://foto.mail.ru/mail/delay2004/66/i-99.jpg
http://foto.mail.ru/mail/delay2004/66/i-100.jpg
http://foto.mail.ru/mail/delay2004/66/i-101.jpg
http://foto.mail.ru/mail/delay2004/66/i-102.jpg

BAD Video, but GPS-290 WORKING -->> Thanks a lot DENISKA !!!!

http://video.mail.ru/mail/delay2004/96/97.html

A Fn NOOB
January 22nd, 2007, 10:39
Who's gonna be the first kid on the block to crack open their PSP-290 and post some pics. I dont own one or I'd do it.

Im curious if Sony used their own chip or a Sirf3.

Psyberjock
January 22nd, 2007, 13:13
I would if it had screws, but it doesn't. Not sure I'm ready to break through any glue just yet... I'll look at it though. If it only has fasteners I'll do it.

DennyPSP
January 22nd, 2007, 13:26
I have found some the information in files PRX

PSRF 100,0,4800,8,1,0
PSRF 100,0,57600,8,1,0

I think that it is speeds 4800 and 57600 GPS the module, but I could increase only up to 9600... Can will to whom it is useful...
The chip is very similar on SIRF III

deniska
January 22nd, 2007, 14:24
AAAAaaaaaaa Superrrrr
that works with .prx from FW 2.70 Video i can capture later, this video is very bad...
This image has made in 8:00
my FW 3.03 OE-B --->\Game\Map This\.... NOT FOR GAME303 !!

http://foto.mail.ru/mail/delay2004/66/i-99.jpg
http://foto.mail.ru/mail/delay2004/66/i-100.jpg
http://foto.mail.ru/mail/delay2004/66/i-101.jpg
http://foto.mail.ru/mail/delay2004/66/i-102.jpg

BAD Video, but GPS-290 WORKING -->> Thanks a lot DENISKA !!!!

http://video.mail.ru/mail/delay2004/96/97.html

Wow, you are the first person who got the full signal streingh bar with this receiver.. (having fix on 8 or more satellites)
I would never get more than 2 bars with my unit and around my area... and looks like you were inside a car too...
and HDOP is pretty small too...

deniska
January 22nd, 2007, 14:44
Here is another theory in regards to gps signal problems:
MapThis sets the cpu clock to 333Mhz upon the startup.. perhaps the gps unit or the driver is not designed to work at that speed..
So.. try changing the clock to 222Mhz right after the startup and see if you get better luck with the reception..
Please report your findings..

Also, I'll try to increase the priority of the gps updater thread in the next version, we'll see if that's going to make any difference...

A Fn NOOB
January 22nd, 2007, 14:45
Dont do it on my account, I just have a hunch it's a Pharos iGPS-500

Edit: Looks like someone has done this already :))

http://yoneyuta.txt-nifty.com/blog//media/img_20070120T151614734.jpg

http://yoneyuta.txt-nifty.com/blog//media/img_20070120T151615828.jpg

http://yoneyuta.txt-nifty.com/blog//media/img_20070120T151617093.jpg

A Fn NOOB
January 22nd, 2007, 15:34
http://yoneyuta.txt-nifty.com/blog//media/img_20070120T000228609.jpg
http://yoneyuta.txt-nifty.com/blog//media/img_20070120T000227781.jpg

Its hard to comprehend what the guy is saying on his blog, with the Google translation, but I think the poor fella is not a happy camper cuz he cant put it back together :rofl:

So. Its a Sirf-III, same chipset as your Holux, Deniska...

Edit: Forgot the link to the young man's blog:

http://yoneyuta.txt-nifty.com/blog/

larolf
January 22nd, 2007, 18:09

Deniska,

First of all congratulations for your work! Your hard work make us happy pspeople :D

Ok, I read all this topic and I have a PSP GPS 290 with 3.03b firmware version. I installed the MAP THIS! version 0.461S (beta) and put those prx files that I got from PSP290TEST but they didn´t work for me. I tried to extract both from 3.03 with psar dump Version 2B and I coudn´t. Could you send me those files you extracted or help me extract them?

Best regards!

dartpsp
January 22nd, 2007, 18:13
Well I played with the Geolook up some more. Here is what I did and my results:

While using version .46 (not the one for the Sony GPS device)... I am able to do the Reverse Geolookup no problem. But even if I use that address and try the Geolookup it says it can't find the location.

Note: I tried it with the included New York map and it worked great!

So is the problem my geodata file? or something else?

deniska
January 22nd, 2007, 18:48
Well I played with the Geolook up some more. Here is what I did and my results:

While using version .46 (not the one for the Sony GPS device)... I am able to do the Reverse Geolookup no problem. But even if I use that address and try the Geolookup it says it can't find the location.

Note: I tried it with the included New York map and it worked great!

So is the problem my geodata file? or something else?

Post your geodata.dat file, sample lookup query which is supposed to work (but does not) and the expected gps address (lat/lon) of that address so I could build a sample map around it to test your problem...

nikitenko91
January 22nd, 2007, 19:24
i got the original lastest 3.03 verison that i got from the official psp website. am i supposed to have a diffrent FW to run the app.?

nikitenko91
January 22nd, 2007, 19:31
what firmware do you have?
You MUST have custom firmware (3.02+) by dark alex and make sure you run in under 3.03 kernel

i have the original 3.03 FW that i got from the officail psp website, am i supposed to have a diffrent FW to run this app? and if yes where can i get it from?

larolf
January 22nd, 2007, 19:36
i got the original lastest 3.03 verison that i got from the official psp website. am i supposed to have a diffrent FW to run the app.?

y0 man! You need to downgrade your firmware version to 1.5 then you can run Map This on your psp! :D

nikitenko91
January 22nd, 2007, 19:40
are you shure cuz thats not wat denishka said

larolf
January 22nd, 2007, 19:48
I forgot some things.

First you must know if you have the TA-082 model. Then you must search for the installer for this model or others non-TA-082 models. Before update to 3.03, you must have downgraded your firmware to 1.5!
Then:

3.03OE-A

http://rapidshare.com/files/10597539/DHECFW303Installer.exe.html

And the update 3.03 OE-B:

http://rapidshare.com/files/11138521/DHECFW303OEBUpdate.exe.html

nikitenko91
January 22nd, 2007, 19:55
how do i down grade from offical 3.03 to offical 1.5?

deniska
January 22nd, 2007, 19:58
are you shure cuz thats not wat denishka said

Dude, do some basic reading and research before you post.. your repetitive posts are becoming annoing.. so please read this carefully:
At this moment, there is no way to run homebrew on official 3.00+ FW. (THis is why they write in bold on any homebrew site: "Do not use official sony fw upgraders!")
This may (or maynot) change in the future. Until then you are out of luck..

larolf
January 22nd, 2007, 20:01
how do i down grade from offical 3.03 to offical 1.5?

You won´t downgrade to "official" 1.5... you´ll downgrade to a mod version so you can run Map This, psp and psx iso´s on your psp.

nikitenko91
January 22nd, 2007, 20:07
ok thanks now can you tell me how to downgrade to 1.5 or give me a link

larolf
January 22nd, 2007, 20:13
Dude, do some basic reading and research before you post.. your repetitive posts are becoming annoing.. so please read this carefully:
At this moment, there is no way to run homebrew on official 3.00+ FW. (THis is why they write in bold on any homebrew site: "Do not use official sony fw upgraders!")
This may (or maynot) change in the future. Until then you are out of luck..

Deniska,

Could you please help me with the PSAR Dump? I´m trying to extract the usbacc.prx and usbgps.prx files with version 2B and I got the following error:
"Can´t find DATA.PSAR in top folder of the memory stick".
I choose the square mode "extract all"

What am I doing wrong?

deniska
January 22nd, 2007, 20:55
Guys, this is not a forum thread to disscus FW downgrading or problems with PSAR dumping...
Please use appropriate threads for your posts.
Overwise you will be ignored and/or banned...

dcemuUser25
January 22nd, 2007, 21:30
Just to report that I finally managed to get a signal but like what psyberjock has mentioned, it was painstakingly slow. Yesterday nite, it took me a few hours. It also loses connection too quickly, relative to psp290Test which is quite stable and establishes location within 2-3minutes.

Another point is, if I add POI, MapThis crashes on the next start-up. Setting to 222Mhz doesn't make a difference to me.

Cheers.

deniska
January 22nd, 2007, 21:59
Ok, please try this eboot...
I increased the thread priority of gps manager and defaulted the system to 222 at starts (so it acts more like a green-screen proggie)
Also fixed a small bug in geo-search which used to crush the program while searching..

Just replace the EBOOT.PBP from 0.461s beta with the one in the .rar file...

DennyPSP
January 22nd, 2007, 22:21
Night test GPS-290 in Moscow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4eD5ZRR72E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4eD5ZRR72E

Den I shall try your variant tomorrow since morning...

bunky666
January 22nd, 2007, 22:28
Hey Deniska

Quick update - I finally made a map today of London, and there's good news and bad. I'm still running your first beta 290 version.

The good news - works like a dream! So accurate as I'm sure you know. Was really impressed with just how on the button it was even when I switched to the other side of the pathway it knew it. As we've all said before though, cold start takes 5 mins to get a fix which is a pain, but once it does, only take about 10-20 seconds, even after restart of PSP. Dropout for me so far has been almost nil - I know others have said it's dropping all the time, but mine seems pretty stable. By the way, I'm running 303 OE A.

The bad news - it's sometimes crashing with the new London map GPSFS file I've created - each zoom level is around 20mb, but there are 8 zoom levels - is that too many? It crashes when you send the psp to sleep then wake it up again, and also when you 'select an action' such as POI lookup etc, locking up completely when you return to the map. But not all the time, just every now and then. Doesn't do it with your 'world map' shipped with older versions, so I'm guessing the problem is with my GPSFS file...

Other than that, I can honestly say I am SO pleased with it all - well done and thank you so much! I'll install the newer version and see if I still get the same issues...

dcemuUser25
January 22nd, 2007, 22:54
I increased the thread priority of gps manager and defaulted the system to 222 at starts (so it acts more like a green-screen proggie)
Also fixed a small bug in geo-search which used to crush the program while searching..

Hi deniska,

Thanks for the update, I will try it as soon as I get home from work tonight. This is my first experience with MapThis so please pardon any of the noobie questions I have posted.

Fantastic work!!!! ;-) Thanks.

afiser
January 22nd, 2007, 23:02
ok so i got my gps on my psp map this is on and everything im in gps mode, but i have no bars. do i need to do something to enable the device or is it already on and i dont have a singal?

Ursus
January 23rd, 2007, 01:37

Just tried out this new eboot, works great. My geolookup function works fine now, it does not shut off by itself now. It connects a line between you and the destination. Hopefully turn by turn prompt will be around the corner for us. Another great step forward Deniska! keep it up.

justcerfin
January 23rd, 2007, 02:52
The following is a summary of my experiences with the GPS290 have been.

1. Cold start up takes about 7 minutes to get a lock on three satellites. When I do have a lock, it usually stays at a min of three; sometimes four.

2. When I drive around town, I usually have four and since the new beta it usually stays at about six satellites. Today was really cool, I had a lock on ten satellites for a split second then the went back to a solid nine.

3. Still having a problem with the PSP screen turning off at 5 minutes. That is really annoying because I have to keep taping some button or the PSP will shut down. I hope something can be done about that, especially when on long trips.

4. The time is off on the PSP GPS Information screen. I wonder if thats my location code that is wrong.

5. I am trying to get a nice holder for the PSP that I can mount onto my car (02 Accord). I found this cool mount but its actually a display holder that anyone can find at GameStop or Best Buy. It's the clear plastic case that has a spot for the power cable and headphones. If anyone people they know who I can contact, I'd really like to buy that display handle. It would fit nicely with my unit. Thanks.

Well, I hope that helped anyone. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

afiser
January 23rd, 2007, 03:10
can someone tell me how to connect to a satellite i think im missing something here cause i put the eboot on GPS MODE and nothing happens

deniska
January 23rd, 2007, 03:29
I did a little test of the new version on foot, since I had to take my X5 to the dealership for repairs. (stupid shit breaks every second month)
I don't know if it's the weather or the recent changes but I was able to get a fix on 8 satellites farelly quickly. (it was an open place)

The overall perhormance was comparable to Maplus...
Please test and let me know what you get with a newer version...

deniska
January 23rd, 2007, 03:33
The following is a summary of my experiences with the GPS290 have been.
4. The time is off on the PSP GPS Information screen. I wonder if thats my location code that is wrong.

The gps info screen displays the GMT time, so it's normal..

dartpsp
January 23rd, 2007, 04:25
Post your geodata.dat file, sample lookup query which is supposed to work (but does not) and the expected gps address (lat/lon) of that address so I could build a sample map around it to test your problem...

Here is a link to the file and other info. Thanks, I await your input.

File here Thanks (http://airxtesting.com/temp/mapthis/help.rar)

Dart

deniska
January 23rd, 2007, 04:49
Here is a link to the file and other info. Thanks, I await your input.

File here Thanks (http://airxtesting.com/temp/mapthis/help.rar)

Dart

address is:

1300 Orinda PL, 92029

This is what I'm able to get for the "Location"
N 33.086580
W 117.094646

When I tried to put it into GPS mode to get the Long/LAt for you the screen flashes
" LOCATION OUT OF RANGE!!!
THIS MAP DES NOT COVER FOLLOWING COORDS:"

and below that it shows some numbers but they keep changing each time the screen flashes

I pasted the data from your help-inf.tx for reference...
Anyway,
I was able to look up the address above w/o any problems...
LOCATION OUT OF RANGE message is usually displayed when your CURRENT gps coordinates do not feet your maps range...
In any case, your map seemed a little weird, since it was missing tiles for top left corner..
so I would re-download the entire map (perhaps with a different zoom range) to make sure it cover your gps coordinates...then I would create a new geodat file (using new tool by in7ane...(look the forums for it)

deniska
January 23rd, 2007, 05:28
FYI, this is one of the replies to engadget post on Mapthis PSP-290 edition (taken from a Maplus user in Japan (this kind of confirms my own findings about bad gps sensitivity of the sony unit):

Stoltobot @ Jan 21st 2007 10:20PM (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/19/homebrew-kids-add-another-notch-to-their-belt-sony-gps-support/comments/3192346/)

The GPS is fairly useless. You need to walk around for an hour just to get a strong enough reply from three satelites to triangulate your coordinates. However, once you get locked on, even if you lose touch it seems that it only requires a fairly weak signal to recover. I have tried this all over Japan and the same results. That is using MapPlus. I wonder if MapThis can detect a signal better than that? If not, the device is completely useless.
----------------------------------
let me know what you think....

nicinico
January 23rd, 2007, 05:33
3. Still having a problem with the PSP screen turning off at 5 minutes. That is really annoying because I have to keep taping some button or the PSP will shut down. I hope something can be done about that, especially when on long trips.

Go to SETTINGS - POWER SAVE SETTINGS - BACKLIGHT AUTO OFF

Change setting from 5 Minutes to Off
Also you might want to change Auto Sleep to Off since the default value is 10 Minutes.

dartpsp
January 23rd, 2007, 05:34
Really you where able to do a lookup ... man that is odd. As for the "missing" tiles ... that's mostlikely due to the fact when I created the map I was given the chance to remove areas of the grid that weren't needed ... the ocean and unpopulated mountain regions and such.

As I stated in a prior post ... I was able to do a look up on with the map that you included with the app but it didn't work for mine ... It's odd you get it to work NP ... hmmmm ???

IS there a tutorial for the 7ane geodat tool?

justcerfin
January 23rd, 2007, 06:08
Nicinico, Thanks for the help with my screen timing out. I actually feel quite embarrassed since its such an easy thing to do. lol Guess thats why we're all here. To help each other out. Thanks again.

Well off I go to search for an entire map of California. I seem to be having difficulties with Google maps.

DennyPSP
January 23rd, 2007, 06:42
I did a little test of the new version on foot, since I had to take my X5 to the dealership for repairs. (stupid shit breaks every second month)
I don't know if it's the weather or the recent changes but I was able to get a fix on 8 satellites farelly quickly. (it was an open place)

The overall perhormance was comparable to Maplus...
Please test and let me know what you get with a newer version...

Den kakoi knopkoi ti vivel na ekran svoistva GPS?
Segodna testiroval utrom poluchil 10 spetnikov iz 10 vse FIX, (uchitivajz to chto bil snegopad) da eshe skorost pokazivaet v dva raza menshe chem na samom dele

deniska
January 23rd, 2007, 06:45
Den kakoi knopkoi ti vivel na ekran svoistva GPS?
Segodna testiroval utrom poluchil 10 spetnikov iz 10 vse FIX, (uchitivajz to chto bil snegopad) da eshe skorost pokazivaet v dva raza menshe chem na samom dele
1)Use the [start] button in map mode, then GPS info
2)check your config.txt file - you speed is probably set in miles per hour, not in KM

DennyPSP
January 23rd, 2007, 06:52
1)Use the [start] button in map mode, then GPS info
2)check your config.txt file - you speed is probably set in miles per hour, not in KM

A vse nashel - spasib...a chobi pomenat na km/chas nado chto vpisat tuda?
Da eshe chet ja ne nashel osoboi raznici v dvuh raznih Boot.pbp, sedna testil stari...sam ponimaesh v odnoi ruke rul PSP i fotokamera - ne mnogo ne udobno

Da eshe signal stanovitsa silnee kogda otgibaesh GPS k UMDrom

dcemuUser25
January 23rd, 2007, 09:36
Hmmm, tried the new eboot, it's faster in detecting a sat. now but it still isn't performing as well as the psp290test. Anyone facing the same issues or is it just me?

DennyPSP
January 23rd, 2007, 09:41
With old eboot-->
why only 10 sat?
http://foto.mail.ru/mail/delay2004/66/i-103.jpg

A Fn NOOB
January 23rd, 2007, 10:31
I think Sony is clearly crippling this device.
Despite the fact that it has the SirfStarIII chip, it seems there is a problem with trickle power. There does not appear to be an internal battery.

Question: Is the Unit offered for sale in Japan guaranteed to be the same unit offered in the USA?

It is possible that Sony is holding back some functionality to give an 'edge' to software that it will be able to collect license fees from.

If they allow full functionality of the GPS reciever, it could encroach on the stand-alone GPS units that fetch much higher prices, especially if voice navigation were to be eventually incorporated into HOMEBREW.

May be of use:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k224/A_Fn_NOOB/prsf2.jpg
[/URL]
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k224/A_Fn_NOOB/psrf.jpg[URL="http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k224/A_Fn_NOOB/psrf.jpg?t=1169548188"] (http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k224/A_Fn_NOOB/prsf2.jpg?t=1169548140)

nikko74
January 23rd, 2007, 11:02
i tryed to download your new eboot. But it seems that the file is corrupted (that's what winrar told me...)
Is it possible to have a new link, please ?

Any way, thanks a lot for all this marvelous work !

dcemuUser25
January 23rd, 2007, 12:14
After some testing, the new eboot does give the reception a big boost. Not better than the psp290Test but definitely can give me a good signal between 5-10mins.

Much thanks, deniska!! You're the best!!
:thumbup:

deniska
January 23rd, 2007, 16:04
A vse nashel - spasib...a chobi pomenat na km/chas nado chto vpisat tuda?

SPEEDFIX=1.8523

DennyPSP
January 23rd, 2007, 17:02
SPEEDFIX=1.8523

Utrom dognal...vse pokazivaet teper normalno...
Mogu skazat chto poslednaa versia poluchshe rabotaet

This video test final - all works Den...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz4xMQPhx8c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz4xMQPhx8c

bunky666
January 23rd, 2007, 20:09
Deniska - a question... in your early version screen grabs, it appears that map this is capable of plotting a route for current gps location to a set marker. It looks like it plans a route much like on google online, telling you to turn left and right where you need to. In the help menu of version 4, it says [L-TRIGGER] for set / move marker, and [R-TRIGGER] to plot route, but neither button seems to do anything... am i being a muppet, or is it disabled for this beta? I've hunted around, can't see anyone else mentioning this...

Picked up 11 sats today by the way, fixed on 10. Was very slow to do so though - slower than usual. Maybe the freezing weather here is to blame?

deniska
January 23rd, 2007, 20:50
Use [X] to set the marker and [O] to plot...

dcemuUser25
January 24th, 2007, 02:42
Just noticed recently it still happens that sometimes, at the same location, in Mapthis, satellites cannot be detected at all while I almost would have immediate success with the green screen proggie. Just me?

kiusuke
January 24th, 2007, 04:53
i've got better reception with the newer version but no lock in france. (i've already succed to have my location in gps psp290-test)

G4T5UG4
January 24th, 2007, 05:24
i hate to b an effing noob but can someone link me to where i can get usbacc.prx usbgps.prx. i have no idea bout these thnx

dcemuUser25
January 24th, 2007, 06:00
i hate to b an effing noob but can someone link me to where i can get usbacc.prx usbgps.prx. i have no idea bout these thnx

You can find it in the psp290Test folder in campprx. The usbgps.prx from 3.03 gives better reception. Other details can mostly be found when you do a search on the forums. Best of luck.

dcemuUser25
January 24th, 2007, 06:04
I guess the psp290 receiver works pretty well for me in general. Using the green-screen program, I can get a fix on 4-7(rarely 4) satellites constantly without dropping while driving. ^_^ HDOP is 1.000 Too bad I don't get the same with MapThis...:(

G4T5UG4
January 24th, 2007, 06:24
thanx dcemuUser25. you rox

pctechie
January 24th, 2007, 07:01
Deniska,

I installed the Mapthis! program and prx files tonight on another TA-082 PSP with no success! The GPS state will not turn on with the new style motherboards. Does this issue lie in the motherboard itself or the way that the TA-082 are downgraded or the custom firmware?........any ideas??? I've installed and tested on at least 3 older PSP(s) with no problems and now that's 2 different TA-082(s) that the PSP-290 GPS unit will not function correctly on with MapThis! or Maplus. All of the PSP-290 units have been tried and successfully tested on the working PSP(s) to verify that they do indeed function.

G4T5UG4
January 24th, 2007, 07:08
can you email me the usbgps.prx from 303 i dont know how to get it

deniska, i just got the app running....amazing!!! you truly are a god among dc-emu. at least i think so. cheers mate

tapioka
January 24th, 2007, 09:47
hello

i want to say a big thanks to deniska, the new eboot is very good. my reception of the is very good i've make a screenshot. see that:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3022/snap0002iv.png
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8514/snap0017va.png
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8396/snap0021io.png
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2249/snap0032ri.png
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5117/snap0032ba.png
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6594/snap0078ms.png

but i have releved some bugs:
1. in the moment when you be in gps info (push start and down in the menu), you make the psp in "take care", in the reboot the psp freeze when you make gps on

2.is too long to fixe satelitte, but this is not new.

thanks again, if i found another bug, i posts that here

gillberg
January 24th, 2007, 13:07
can you email me the usbgps.prx from 303 i dont know how to get it

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47280

Follow that, but press square instead of cross on psardumper, and skip the devhook part. The file is in f0 folder in the root. I think f0/kd to be exact. Hey Deniska, I thought u said 3.03 prx didn't work for u? So I guess it works now? I'm just wondering cause I'm like 7 miles from where that last test image u had is, I'm waiting for my psp official gps so I wanted to know if I can use 3.03 usbgps and usbacc prx at the first use of gps, or should I use the psp290test prx?

G4T5UG4
January 24th, 2007, 14:40
thank you. i really apreciate the help. this whole comunity rules

larolf
January 24th, 2007, 15:34
Thank you very much for your kindness Gillberg!!!!
I was having this problem too!

Best regards.

nikko74
January 24th, 2007, 16:21
hello

i want to say a big thanks to deniska, the new eboot is very good. my reception of the is very good

So, if you're in France, i suppose you speak french...

Salut Tapioka ! Moi je galère grave pour réussir à me fixer sur les satellites... C'est quoi la manip miracle ? Tu pourrais me donner un aperçu de ta config (paramètres de config.txt..., version des prx...)?
Merci d'avance !

dartpsp
January 24th, 2007, 16:32
Ok I've finally got it all working ... Wahoo!!!

I believe my problem witht he Geodata look up feature was that I wasn't inputing the Street type (ie Ave, ST, PL) ... though it's a little odd that you can have all th info except that and it wont find it. Course if you have ONLY the street address and type (ie 58 Palm ave) and no zip/city it works ;-)

I was also able to take out the unneeded zoom's to reduce overall file size ... went from a 90meg meg to 60 :-)

Thanks again for everyones help!

Now I just need to get hold of a GPS device!

Question ... what's the advantage / disadvantage / Fix of the new eboot file?

hoax
January 24th, 2007, 21:24
I liked a sincere opinion. It goes directed to the experts of mapthis. With as receiving works better, Holux or Sony? Thanks to all.

G4T5UG4
January 25th, 2007, 01:42
i just used map this in the maryland area with a hybrid map and it works great!!!! still can only get like 3 to 4 bars tho :(

deniska
January 25th, 2007, 03:05
I liked a sincere opinion. It goes directed to the experts of mapthis. With as receiving works better, Holux or Sony? Thanks to all.

Holux236 is more sensitive - no questions about it...
But according to some source, there is a good percentage of defective units on the market, so make sure you buy it from a reputable source and have an option to exchange it in case you have a problem...

bandit
January 25th, 2007, 04:24
I have 3.03OE-B usbacc.prx and usbgps.prx has anyone tried it?

Also, my PSP is US, would usbacc.prx and usbgps.prx from a France PSP work?

dcemuUser25
January 25th, 2007, 05:04
I have 3.03OE-B usbacc.prx and usbgps.prx has anyone tried it?

Also, my PSP is US, would usbacc.prx and usbgps.prx from a France PSP work?

You will need usbacc.prx from 2.71, I think. 3.03OE-B usbgps.prx should be fine. Also you need to dump and decrypt the 3.03FW yourself on your psp due to the encryption. In other words, not transferrable. (Someone correct me if I am wrong..)

Cheers

dcemuUser25
January 25th, 2007, 05:09
Hi Deniska,

Just wishing to ask if it is likely that future versions of MapThis for the psp290 will have the same sensitivity as the green-screen proggie?

Just thinking of getting a holux instead.

Thanks.

deniska
January 25th, 2007, 05:46
Hi Deniska,

Just wishing to ask if it is likely that future versions of MapThis for the psp290 will have the same sensitivity as the green-screen proggie?

Just thinking of getting a holux instead.

Thanks.

I don't see much of the difference between performance of the green prog and MapThis in my trials. Essentially they both call the same methods, so I don't see why the "sensitivity" would differ...

dcemuUser25
January 25th, 2007, 06:08
Oh, that's weird. I thought it would be an issue with the thread priority. Couldn't understand why there would be a difference as well. I also made sure that the same prxs were used...

I will try out other settings with the psp then. Thanks.

icarter
January 25th, 2007, 08:16
i tried the new eboot today, it did lock faster

mattcl
January 25th, 2007, 09:38
Deniska, thank you again, i have tested in Sydney Australia and it works very well

DVBTPSP
January 25th, 2007, 10:06
Deniska you're doing a great job, keep up the good work, it works well in Holland. Creating a route doesn't appear to be working, please correct me if I 'm wrong here, I have used the "X" button to set the first marker and then the "O" button for the last marker. To complete the route I then press the right trigger but nothing happens. Are you aware of this problem? Thanks in advance for your support :-)

larolf
January 25th, 2007, 10:56
Hey guys, I have a question. I tried the usbacc.prx and the usbgps.prx from 3.03 OE-B and didn´t work for me. Also I tried usbacc.prx from 2.71 and usbgps.prx from 3.03 OE-B and didn´t work too. Okay, then I tried both from 2.71 and worked. The question is: When I run GPS Info in the menu I got 7 satellites found... why my signal bar is allways red?

Thank you!

nicinico
January 25th, 2007, 11:22
Hey guys, I have a question. I tried the usbacc.prx and the usbgps.prx from 3.03 OE-B and didn´t work for me. Also I tried usbacc.prx from 2.71 and usbgps.prx from 3.03 OE-B and didn´t work too. Okay, then I tried both from 2.71 and worked. The question is: When I run GPS Info in the menu I got 7 satellites found... why my signal bar is allways red?

Thank you!

Go back to page 12, you can find 3.03 prx there for "FREE"

RE: Red Bar, Please make sure you get a fix not just found, get at least 3 satellite fixes (I Think) in order for the bar to be green.

vitalik2k
January 25th, 2007, 11:46
Will the next version include trace route function? (for example: you can choose with arrows strart and end points ant it will calculate the shortest way..or you can manually set points and it will know whole trace, if next line between 2 points has negative angle - it says "turn to left") Or it is hard to make? With big arrows (like other GPS navigators) "turn to right.. at next cross turn to left". Voice may be easisy written to wav files

dcemuUser25
January 25th, 2007, 14:39
I don't see much of the difference between performance of the green prog and MapThis in my trials. Essentially they both call the same methods, so I don't see why the "sensitivity" would differ...

Deniska, after playing with it quite a bit, there is definitely a difference in performance between the two. For instance, the green proggie gets a fix on 5 satellites at within startup of 1 minute while MapThis sees two satellites but cannot get a fix.
Any ideas why this has happened? I have tried toggling the CPU speed and formatting the memory stick.

Has anyone else experienced the same?

deniska
January 25th, 2007, 15:23
Deniska, after playing with it quite a bit, there is definitely a difference in performance between the two. For instance, the green proggie gets a fix on 5 satellites at within startup of 1 minute while MapThis sees two satellites but cannot get a fix.
Any ideas why this has happened? I have tried toggling the CPU speed and formatting the memory stick.

Has anyone else experienced the same?

Try to change INITLOCATION variable in the system.conf and see if you get better results..

deniska
January 25th, 2007, 15:27
Deniska you're doing a great job, keep up the good work, it works well in Holland. Creating a route doesn't appear to be working, please correct me if I 'm wrong here, I have used the "X" button to set the first marker and then the "O" button for the last marker. To complete the route I then press the right trigger but nothing happens. Are you aware of this problem? Thanks in advance for your support :-)

This is not really a route feature yet, but rather just path distance calculator.
I'll try to work on this in the next release, when I have time..

wmwoon
January 25th, 2007, 15:31
Hi, deniska

I love your program especially when I made a map for use. but the problem is, I can't seem to get a fix on my position on MapThis! and I had totally no reception at all.

For you information, I'm from Singapore. I tried using the PSP290-TEST to find out if I can get anything, I notice that I can view quite a number of satelites, but couldn't get a fix at all.

The GPS State is at 3 when activated. But the loading and starting of USB and GPS drivers are al grey out.

Sorry but mind me asking like all others who are experiencing the same problem as me.

I've juz downloaded the update eboot for MapThis! and hope it works. keeping my fingers crossed though~

:cool:

deniska
January 25th, 2007, 15:34
Will the next version include trace route function? (for example: you can choose with arrows strart and end points ant it will calculate the shortest way..or you can manually set points and it will know whole trace, if next line between 2 points has negative angle - it says "turn to left") Or it is hard to make? With big arrows (like other GPS navigators) "turn to right.. at next cross turn to left". Voice may be easisy written to wav files

To my best knowlege there is no reliable free data nor open source implementation of route calculation feature.
Of course this question was answered a number of times already which leads me to a following request:

I need someone, who wants to contribute to this project to browse the forums and compile a list of FAQ with the answers...

larolf
January 25th, 2007, 15:45
Go back to page 12, you can find 3.03 prx there for "FREE"

RE: Red Bar, Please make sure you get a fix not just found, get at least 3 satellite fixes (I Think) in order for the bar to be green.

Thank you for your help. Well, I got 7 satellites on the menu option "GPS Info". I´ll try these prx and see what happens.

zsc
January 25th, 2007, 17:18
I'm running MapThis! with 2.71 prx files, all other combinations failed. I don't have the GPS module yet though. Could that be why they failed? I've read that some people are using 3.00+ usbgps.prx's and would like to know why some people are having success with other combinations of prx. I got my prx files via PSAR Dump + Devhook Flash Install, 2.71,3.00,3.01,3.03. I have not tried 3.02 yet though.

Thanks Deniska for your hard work.

Edit: P.S. The update "_1" you posted is corrupted. Is there any chance you could post it up again?

Zed Exsix'r
January 25th, 2007, 20:55
Well, With a bit of help, i got everything done on the list, got the prx files from 2.71, downloaded the maps from google download, put it in all the right folders......

but how do I run it on the PSP?

4) Attach the usb gps-290 accessory and you should be good to go...

But how do I 'go'?
I have been telling the PSP to 'go' all morning, and it just sits there on the table, and does nothing! lol!

what do I type in on the web browser screen to run the program, I have tried different things:
file:/psp/game303/mapviewer/maps
file:/psp/game303/mapviewer/maps/gpsfs
file:/psp/game303/mapviewer/maps/coords
file:/psp/game303/mapviewer/usbgps
file:/psp/game303/mapviewer/usbgps.prx
file:/psp/game303/mapviewer/usbgps.prx
file:/psp/game303/mapviewer/usbgps

I have read, and re read every post on this forum related to this, and I have read the WIKI Books document. am I just too new to this, should I be reading the older posts?
I just dont see it, anywhere?

Should I give up and eBay the PSP-290?

zsc
January 25th, 2007, 21:01
First, are you running 3.03 OE-A+? (OE=Open Edition, NOT the SONY Official FW) If you're running 3.03 (SONY), then yes, give up and eBay the PSP-290? Or hang on to it until the downgrader for 3.03 is released.

Next, if you're running 3.03 OE-A+, with the placement of the files you've listed above, you should see an icon for MapThis! in your XMB, under Game -> Memory Stick.

I'm thinking you're not running 3.03 OE-A,B, or even C, which is why you cannot see MapThis! in the XMB.

Zed Exsix'r
January 25th, 2007, 22:29
I am running Version 3.02, which I thought was ok from what I have read, how do I get 3.03 OE-A+???

I am going to the UK in a couple weeks, can I use the WiFi and upgrade it there. (I am in Canada right now)

I have 'there are no games' under Game - MemoryStick

mattcl
January 25th, 2007, 23:30
I have just upgraded to 3.03 OE-C.
Im using usbacc.prx from 2.71 and usbgps.prx from 3.03 OE-B
INITLOCATION=2, i found that 2 will give a better SNR
Fix is better with the new EBOOT.PBP
Sat in view: up to 11
Fixed: up to 5

Thanks again D

zsc
January 26th, 2007, 00:12
I am running Version 3.02, which I thought was ok from what I have read, how do I get 3.03 OE-A+???

I am going to the UK in a couple weeks, can I use the WiFi and upgrade it there. (I am in Canada right now)

I have 'there are no games' under Game - MemoryStick

Did you upgrade to 3.02 using SONY Official Firmware? If so, then you're out of luck.

In a nutshell, there's 3.02 FW and then there's 3.02 OE. The one you have, 3.02 FW, was released officially by Sony, which prevents homebrew (home-made software) from running on the PSP. The 3.02 OE (OE = Open Edition) was NOT released by SONY, rather, by a person named Dark_AleX. His Open Edition Firmware allows the use of homebrew on a PSP.

Now that you're familiar with the differences between Sony Firmware release and Open Edition Firmware, let's get back to your situation. From what you said about "using wireless to upgrade the firmware", I gathered that you had upgraded using SONY Official Firmware. If that's the case, then YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK. Sony Official Firmware PREVENTS you from running homebrews. You're going to have to wait until a downgrader for 3.02 is released before you can even try using homebrew.

Now, does any of that made sense?

EDIT: Just wanted to add, in order to get Open Edition firmwares, you'd have to have a PSP running a 1.50 SONY Firmware. Which means that when a downgrader for whatever version of Sony Firmware you're running is released, you'd have to downgrade to 1.50 FW, then upgrade to Open Edition firmware.

Example: 3.02 (SONY) -> 1.50 (SONY) -> 3.03 OE-C (Open Edition Revision C, the latest as of this morning)

There's no way to go from 3.02 (SONY) directly to Open Edition, at least not yet.

And please don't even ask about how to downgrade from 3.02 (SONY), because no one has figured out a way to do it, yet. But don't go throwing your PSP out the window just yet, be patient, just wait until there's a downgrader (which does not exist yet).

Sorry for putting this here, but this isn't the first time people have asked this, just wanted to make it clear.

Zed Exsix'r
January 26th, 2007, 01:02
OK, I am screwed, I did upgrade from sony, I will have to wait for it to quit, cause I have 3 year replacement warranty.

Wish I had have know, but at least now I will not be pulling my hair out wondering why my gps wont work. I wish I hadnt sold my Palm with the TomTom on it now.

zsc
January 26th, 2007, 01:16
Don't go eBaying your GPS just yet. "Hello World" has been done on a 3.03 FW, which means that someone has figured out an exploit on the 3.03 FW. That doesn't mean that you can downgrade from a 3.03, but a downgrader could be out in the near future. You are not totally screwed just yet. Who knows, you might be able to get GPS on your PSP before you go to the UK. Just keep checking the forums for new threads about 3.03 Downgrader.

zsc
January 26th, 2007, 01:24
On a separate note, I'm trying to create a geodata.dat file using Cygwin but kept getting error. Has anyone successfully created a geodata.dat file?

I copied the geocoder folder from MapThis_0.46 to the /home folder in Cygwin and using this command at the prompt (while in the /geocoder folder),

./geo-map.sh CA.

and I am getting this,

rm: cannot remove 'temp': No such file or directory
./geo-map.sh: line 10: wget: command not found
Extracting tiger data 17:20:47
find: ./temp: No such file or directory
\nCreating zip files...
cat: ./tmp.932/*.step1: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove './tmp.932/*.step1': No such file or directory

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zoen
January 26th, 2007, 01:31
im getting the same error, haven't got a clue what it means though, lol

zsc
January 26th, 2007, 01:55
Apparently some ppl successfully created geodate.dat for CA, NY and IN. Google "psp geodate.dat california" for CA geodata.dat. Look through the forum and copy and paste the link. I think I saw NY in there somewhere also.

zsc
January 26th, 2007, 02:05
downloaded geodata.dat for California, copied it to the map folder, tried using ADDRESS GEOLOOKUP, input my home address, after a few seconds, PSP turns off.

I think someone had mentioned this before, but just want to mention it again.

Also, is it possible for MapThis! to look somewhere else for the geodata.dat instead of the map folder? I have several maps of California, a geodata.dat file in each of the map folders takes up space. Since it's one 24.3MB file for all of California and all.