PDA

View Full Version : Can the PS3 Be Saved?

wraggster
January 18th, 2007, 22:08
via gigagamez (http://gigagamez.com/2007/01/17/can-the-ps3-be-saved/)

The PS3 hasn’t performed as well as expected. In fact, since E3 last year, not much has actually gone Sony’s way. There was the removal of features, loss of exclusives, extreme price and severe supply constraint… and that’s just leading up to the launch. Once November 17th rolled around, there were people camping outside of Best Buy to get PS3s so that they could scalp them on eBay for extreme prices, and that worked for a while. Then buyers got sick of paying for a system with one semi-desirable game, a blu-ray player with questionable usefulness and a really bad PS2 emulator. They’re not the only one. Gabe Newell, Co-founder and Managing Director of Valve Software, had this to say about the PS3:

“The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels. I think it’s really clear that Sony lost track of what customers wanted and what developers wanted. I’d say, even at this late date, they should cancel it and do a ‘do over.’ Just say, ‘This was a horrible disaster and we’re sorry and we’re going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it.’”

Even after all that, it’s still possible for the PS3 to turn it all around. With that in mind, I decided to try and figure out a way for the PS3 to make a solid recovery, so I started sending emails and making calls. I talked to N’Gai Croal of Newsweek, Chris Baker of Wired and several others in my quest to see what could change and bring Sony back from this black hole of negative buzz. Here’s what we came up with.

Cut Off the Head

It’s absolutely true that Sony has had better PR moments than what we’ve seen recently. What could be the root cause of all this bad PR? “Sony’s PS3 problems stem not from production issues or even pricing - though both are significant problems, both can be overcome with time and effort,” said Jakub Wojnarowicz, Games Editor-in-Chief of Firing Squad. ” What cannot be overcome without Sony’s active involvement is the rooting out of the cause of these problems: Ken Kutaragi.”

Kutaragi, the father of the Playstation, has made Sony quite a bit of money over the years, so it seems that they aren’t too keen to get rid of him. However, Kutaragi was recently “promoted” out of his job of President of Sony Computer Entertainment (SCEI) and given the position of Chairman of SCEI. Though this “promotion” isn’t attributed to bad PS3 press, it surely couldn’t have helped.

At Least the PS2 Was A DVD Player

No matter what could have happened up to the point when the console launched, as soon as the first really great game comes out, all is forgiven. However, that hasn’t happened yet and it doesn’t really look like it’s going to any time soon. “Nothing in the launch lineup is going to convince people that the PS3 does anything that the XBox 360 can’t, and the killer app exclusives are still several months away,” said Wired Associate Editor, Chris Baker. “The Gran Turismo giveaway was a very smart move—Sony needs to flood the pipeline with more free (or at least very cheap) exclusives like that. The faster they can fill the pipeline with free demo levels of Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk and etc., the better.”

Chris isn’t alone is his assessment of the launch lineup situation. Tom Chick, freelance journalist and editor, agreed with Chris’ viewpoint. “I think their biggest problem is the launch line-up,” said Chick. “They really needed a powerful franchise as a hook, and Ridge Racer ain’t it. The PS3 launch was the absolute worst time to have a developer like Insomniac try to launch a derivative concept like Resistance, which is Half-Life meets Call of Duty. Instead, they should have had a new Ratchet & Clank ready. There should have been a GTA or a Final Fantasy.”

Well, that’s one problem that’s basically out of Sony’s hands, other than pressuring companies to produce faster, or even making their own successful game. However, that may not be very easy considering the tools that most developers currently have.

Better Development Tools and Support

Sony, historically, hasn’t had the easiest-to-develop-for consoles, and this one doesn’t seem to be an exception. Though the PS3 isn’t as notoriously hard to program for as the PS2, it has that stigma hanging around it. Sony has tried to counter-act that bit of unpleasantness by purchasing SN Systems, a software tool development company, but it just isn’t quite there yet.

Erick Schonfeld with Business 2.0 said, “They need game developers to come out with unbelievable games that you can’t get on the XBox or anywhere else. This should be possible given the capabilities of the Cell processor powering the PS3, but programming for the Cell is not something that most developers can do easily right out of the gate.”

Is All This Negative Buzz Just Us?

The one question that keeps nagging at me is, “Why are you being so hard on the PS3?” You know, it’s certainly early in this cycle and no one has lost yet, so why are we all judging? Our friend N’Gai Croal, a Newsweek columnist, had this to say about the subject:

“What you’re seeing is a supply problem. According to Sony, they shipped a million units in North America. I spoke to Jack Tretton, CEO of Playstation America, and he said that they’re not sitting in a factory in China, they’re in the US and on store shelfs or moving through the chain. We don’t have any visibility of what’s going on in Japan, but anecdotally, there are supposedly units on the shelves. If that’s so, then we may have turned the corner on the supply issues and that’s what they’ve said publicly. If that’s the case then we have to see what the demand is, and that’s 45 to 50 days after the launch. It’s a little early too tell. What you’re talking about is the negative buzz that popped up around the PS3 this last year after E3. If they launch in Europe in March, that would suggest that they’ve worked out their supply problems.”

“People like you and me, other game journalist, bloggers and people who post on forums may be typical of the hardcore, but are atypical of the entire population. Absent some sort of real market research, while there is buzz among the console intelligencia, I don’t know how that buzz is reflected in the population of PS3 owners.“

You know, maybe he’s right. They’re Sony after all, and it’s very early. The Playstation name and some price-dropping could turn this thing around quickly. I could look back on this article in a year and think, “How could I have been so silly?” I really think that Mr. Chick summed it up best:

“However, it’s important to remember that stumbling out of the gate isn’t a measure of anything but the first stretch of the race. I’d say Sony has a year to do things differently before things get really dire.“

Shrygue
January 18th, 2007, 22:17
Right then, what Sony should do to for PS3 is lower the price for all regions. Also, they should start making more good games for the console. Then things should start looking better for the company.

10shu
January 19th, 2007, 01:34
“Why are you being so hard on the PS3?”

hum..?!.maybe because sony insulted our intelligence at the e3 with all thoses pre-rendered animation...(I still haven t figured out how anybody could beleave killzone footage was realtime...)

sony lie to us one to many time??

ICE
January 19th, 2007, 03:27
ps3 is FINE!! as badly as i want it dead i know its not and this battle will be VERY close. it is a very pricey piece of hardware and will not be the quick seller like the wii but it will slowly catch up and the ONLY question is while the ps3 is creeping up in the background will the wii continue its success in the foreground enough to keep sony at bay.

Ted
January 19th, 2007, 03:56
PS2 was a god awful DVD player. PS3 is an amazing Blu-Ray player with built in DTS HD Master Lossless decoder, the sound is freaking incredible!

Emulation_Chief
January 19th, 2007, 05:56
Hello:

Looks like the PS3 will be the #1 comment for most of us at the forums. And with a lot of reasons.

As I stated before on past topics, Sony is marketing their beefy machine as a powerful and cheap computer and not as a video game console.

The really first thing they have to change here is their marketing stratergy. If they do not lower the price during this year, at least they have to offer really good extras for the price. How many of you spent money on the PSP for the Lords of Dogtown UMD movie or for the ATV game? I believe none of those who bought that PSP package actually saw the movie or play the game more than 15 minutes. The ONLY thing that worth the price was the 1 GB memory stick. How many of you would ever consider buy the PS3 just to see the Tagadella Nights Blu-ray movie that has bundled on the firsts consoles available? I think you know the answer.

The PlayStation 3 is indeed much more powerful than any personal computer available and is also a lot more cheaper than a PC. If SCE wants to sell it as a game console, they have to do the following:

1. Change completely the marketing stratergy, as stated before.

2. Secure exclusivity to key franchises and very good original properties.

3. Bringing games that actually use that SIXAXIS function to really enhanced the gameplay.

4. Lower the price would be ideal, but very good packages will be just fine, as stated before.

5. Since the PS3 is region free, deliver some international movies to Americas. Specially Anime. Its popularity increase every day and fans always wants the best experience on their episodes, OVA's, etc.

6. Cheaper peripherals. As a gaming console, PS3 is expensive. More economical hardware and accesories will make the customers to buy the machine.

I think this is all, for now.

slappy1
January 20th, 2007, 00:58
Sony PS3 is horrible, its expensive and the games suck and play slow.

Developers are now going to release previously exclusive titles such as Metal Gear Solid 4 on the XBOX 360.

Sony will have to pay out the ass to keep these titles exclusive, and guess what they are not going to keep tossin' money in a money pit.

Enjoy your PS3 (Future 3DO) and watch your sony fanboy hopes go up in flames. OMG you may have to buy the dreaded XBOX 360, god save you.

acn010
January 20th, 2007, 01:15
i may not say the ps3 is a disaster, but yeah, its messy and overpriced games,.
hell yeah it needs a makeover thanks to the overheating which im very afraid my ps3 frying itself, but come on!
and doesn't mean its gonna plunge, its too early to pop the consule and sell it besides theres not so many blueray movies available, i have mine as said before ,im afraid of my ps3 frying itelf, by firmware upgrades i think its gonna improve a lot, lets not hope for security updates which i hate cause i love my ps3 so much i want to play homebrew on it :)

Junixx
January 20th, 2007, 01:26
1. Change completely the marketing stratergy, as stated before.

2. Secure exclusivity to key franchises and very good original properties.

3. Bringing games that actually use that SIXAXIS function to really enhanced the gameplay.

4. Lower the price would be ideal, but very good packages will be just fine, as stated before.

5. Since the PS3 is region free, deliver some international movies to Americas. Specially Anime. Its popularity increase every day and fans always wants the best experience on their episodes, OVA's, etc.

6. Cheaper peripherals. As a gaming console, PS3 is expensive. More economical hardware and accesories will make the customers to buy the machine.

I think this is all, for now.

I think the problem with that is that it would cost them more money, they're already losing $100-$200 on each PS3 they sell right?

DPyro
January 20th, 2007, 03:44
I think the problem with that is that it would cost them more money, they're already losing $100-$200 on each PS3 they sell right?

Who's fault is that....

penileartery
January 20th, 2007, 04:30
if you notice, people that dis the ps3 dont have one. haha they either cant afford it, or are afraid of the experience. personally and im sure everyone that owns one would agree ps3 is doing great. get one and find out. seriously

TuRDMaN
January 20th, 2007, 08:25
I own a PS3, but I wouldn't say it's doing great... yet. I'm really looking forward to March. If I can't say the PS3 is AMAZING by then, there's trouble.

muffinman
January 20th, 2007, 21:19
im waiting till they launch it over here in england before i buy mine.

I think it will win in the long run. Just have to wait for the killer games to come out.

SSaxdude
January 20th, 2007, 22:52
Even PS3 owners have told me it's only good because it can run Linux. Personally I like my computers to be running Windows.

VampDude
January 20th, 2007, 23:25
from what I know, PS3 is COMPLETE AND UTTER CRAP...

...I'm going to wait until christmas 2007 to see if it's worth getting, cause so far no-one seems to have a good thing to say about it. It would'nt supprise me if SONY don't make a plunge out've the market with this one sometime soon (early/mid 2008), mainly because it's Microsoft and Nintendo are what the people want and could'nt give a flying fu*K about SONY!!!

slappy1
January 21st, 2007, 06:59
if you notice, people that dis the ps3 dont have one. haha they either cant afford it, or are afraid of the experience. personally and im sure everyone that owns one would agree ps3 is doing great. get one and find out. seriously

I bought one on the release date and sold it to some dumbass for 1,500 USD.

Are you challenging me to buy a hunk of crap, as if I could not afford it? I've got better things to spend my money on. I'll let the coke barons, sports players, and other celebrities enjoy their PS3. I forgot dumbasses.

Enjoy your overheating blue-ray player, hope it lasts you past the warranty.

On a different note, Playstation 2 sold very well because of the cheap price and the playstation name. Some people are so ignorant they think that 'video game system' and the name 'playstation' are the same thing. If you look at video game system sales Playstation 2 is hammering the competition at present. This is because it is cheap and there is a huge library of cheap used games. Sony is at least making some money on Playstation 2 system sales, but there are plenty of used PS2s as well. Playstation 3 does not live up to its predecessor so far, because it is to expensive, has very few games, and is outpricing its core customer. The longer they keep the system price high, the more system sales they give to XBOX 360 and Wii. By the time the system price is low enough that the their traditional customer will buy them, PS3 will be on the way out. Look at PS2 sales currently, for example. Its cheap and they're selling an assload. Times have changed now, XBOX 360 has enjoyed a year jump on PS3 and is much cheaper with games of equal, in not better, quality. Playstation 3 is doomed, so just cut your losses now and sell your PS3 and buy the far superior XBOX 360.

January 21st, 2007, 11:01
I bought one on the release date and sold it to some dumbass for 1,500 USD.

Are you challenging me to buy a hunk of crap, as if I could not afford it? I've got better things to spend my money on. I'll let the coke barons, sports players, and other celebrities enjoy their PS3. I forgot dumbasses.

Enjoy your overheating blue-ray player, hope it lasts you past the warranty.

On a different note, Playstation 2 sold very well because of the cheap price and the playstation name. Some people are so ignorant they think that 'video game system' and the name 'playstation' are the same thing. If you look at video game system sales Playstation 2 is hammering the competition at present. This is because it is cheap and there is a huge library of cheap used games. Sony is at least making some money on Playstation 2 system sales, but there are plenty of used PS2s as well. Playstation 3 does not live up to its predecessor so far, because it is to expensive, has very few games, and is outpricing its core customer. The longer they keep the system price high, the more system sales they give to XBOX 360 and Wii. By the time the system price is low enough that the their traditional customer will buy them, PS3 will be on the way out. Look at PS2 sales currently, for example. Its cheap and they're selling an assload. Times have changed now, XBOX 360 has enjoyed a year jump on PS3 and is much cheaper with games of equal, in not better, quality. Playstation 3 is doomed, so just cut your losses now and sell your PS3 and buy the far superior XBOX 360.

I just like playing video games :)

slappy1
January 21st, 2007, 14:45
I just like playing video games :)

True, and XBOX 360 has many more than PS3.

I'm just tired of Sony trying to cram their Blue-Ray Bull-Shit down everyone's throats. Why couldn't they have just released an affordable system, without Blue-Ray Technology? I like my castlevania games, but it looks like they may come to Wii or even XBOX 360 judging by Sony's Situation.

I enjoy many of the oldskool 8 and 16 bit games, and the newer games that have fun multiplayer. And, if you want fun online multiplayer on you TV, XBOX 360 is the only way to go.

Truth is I am biased against Sony. Its a japanese company that seals exclusive titles from japanese game developers, ie. Konami, Square-Enix, Capcom. Why the need for exclusive titles? Let your game system speak for itself, I say.

Anyhow, Sony is losing its exclusives left and right due to poor performance. This means less PS3s sold, and more Wiis and 360s sold. Good luck, Sony.:thumbup:

Cap'n 1time
January 21st, 2007, 17:45
I personally see trouble for Both the PS3 and the Wii.

I love the wii but i do see an issue with 3rd party releases. Nintendo will probably get the interest of companies that have done stuff with nintendo ever since the NES, such as Capcom and probably Square-Enix and Konami (you dont put your character in a nintendo exclusive fighter and not have a few other games ;)). Also of course the sports games and I think SEGA wont pass up the chance to do some releases either. Thats mostly all the companies I care about, but will it be enough?

As for the ps3. Everyone keeps suggesting they lower the price. They would certainly gain more buyers but lowering the price would dig a huge whole in sony's pockets. From what I understand it costs more to produce a PS3 then just the $600 retail. MS sort of triggered the ps3's large price tag. the whole "mine is bigger than yours!" thing got to sony and they threw in some very powerful parts, and along with it, the massive price tag.

I see MS winning this round (at least in the US and maybe Europe). Whether or not the Wii or PS3 come in second, I don't know. Of course all it takes for the wii to gain the interest of 3rd parties is to continue to sell A LOT of consoles. So far they have done a pretty good job.

gdf
January 21st, 2007, 19:13
I personally see trouble for Both the PS3 and the Wii.

I see MS winning this round (at least in the US and maybe Europe). Whether or not the Wii or PS3 come in second, I don't know. Of course all it takes for the wii to gain the interest of 3rd parties is to continue to sell A LOT of consoles. So far they have done a pretty good job.

nah, i personally think that wii will be the surprise winner worldwide, but there may be a larger difference between regions than before. the 360 might win in usa and europe or at worst tie with the wii, but will continue to do shit in japan unless MS buy someone like squeenix (cant see that!), capcom or konami.

wowzors
January 21st, 2007, 19:49

I'm just tired of Sony trying to cram their Blue-Ray Bull-Shit down everyone's throats. Why couldn't they have just released an affordable system, without Blue-Ray Technology? I like my castlevania games, but it looks like they may come to Wii or even XBOX 360 judging by Sony's Situation.

I enjoy many of the oldskool 8 and 16 bit games, and the newer games that have fun multiplayer. And, if you want fun online multiplayer on you TV, XBOX 360 is the only way to go.

Truth is I am biased against Sony. Its a japanese company that seals exclusive titles from japanese game developers, ie. Konami, Square-Enix, Capcom. Why the need for exclusive titles? Let your game system speak for itself, I say.

Anyhow, Sony is losing its exclusives left and right due to poor performance. This means less PS3s sold, and more Wiis and 360s sold. Good luck, Sony.:thumbup:

Computer is probably 10 times better online, and exclusives lets see if Halo were on ps2 i dont think xbox would have sold very well at all, I think your just being completely biased and posting that PS3 shouldnt have exclusives so you can play all games on 360.

Xbox 360 is a great system, it has sold many consoles and has great online support, but only few great games as a matter of fact Gears of War is IT, and 8 hours into it its over.

Wii is total garbage, it is a fad that will die out eventually due to the fact that developers arent going to drop all their grpahics and gameplay mechanics to switch to a nun chuck and last gen graphics.

PS3 regardless of what is said, will still be a competetor to all other systems. Its launch has not been that great your right, but resistance online is probably the most addicting team base online game on a console i have played.

Wii will be last, PS3 and X360 will be incredibly close due to some massive titles coming out in the near and far future.

slappy1
January 21st, 2007, 20:45
Computer is probably 10 times better online, and exclusives lets see if Halo were on ps2 i dont think xbox would have sold very well at all, I think your just being completely biased and posting that PS3 shouldnt have exclusives so you can play all games on 360.

Xbox 360 is a great system, it has sold many consoles and has great online support, but only few great games as a matter of fact Gears of War is IT, and 8 hours into it its over.

Wii is total garbage, it is a fad that will die out eventually due to the fact that developers arent going to drop all their grpahics and gameplay mechanics to switch to a nun chuck and last gen graphics.

PS3 regardless of what is said, will still be a competetor to all other systems. Its launch has not been that great your right, but resistance online is probably the most addicting team base online game on a console i have played.

Wii will be last, PS3 and X360 will be incredibly close due to some massive titles coming out in the near and far future.

I agree, that the Wii is a fad. It is great for simple homebrew though.:cool:

I still don't see PS3 doing well, its losing exclusives and is way pricey for the average consumer. As far as exclusives go, Microsoft developed Halo so of course its only on XBOX. Gears of War is also Microsoft's baby, and again it is exclusive. But are Konami, Capcom, and Square exclusive to Sony, I don't think so. Maybe not Square, but who gives a shit. OMG no FF XXX, its the end of the world. If I needed to play the new FF, I would rent a PS3 and the game and just complete it.:rofl:

Say what you want, XBOX Live is where its at.:thumbup:

I have never played resistance, and I'm sure it is a decent game. But, I bet it plays slow or has framerate hiccups, after some of PS3 games ive experienced at kiosks.

gdf
January 21st, 2007, 21:12
ps3s at kiosks are all fried or damaged from overuse so the framerate WOULD be slow. (cant believe i jumped to sonys defence there!)

January 21st, 2007, 21:16

You do realise I said that to contrast against your fanboyish ranting? I didn't mean for you to go ahead and do it again.

F9zDark
January 22nd, 2007, 01:16
Everyone who is a fanboy had better take heed:

http://www.red-devil-entertainment.net/fanboy.jpg

Now that I laid that on the table, lets gets another thing straight:

Its too early to say a damned thing about how well the PS3 will fare. If Wii never came out, PS3 might have had alot more consoles sold. And the fact that both Sony and Microsoft can agree that the Wii is nothing but a nuisance, should be alarming to all current and prospective Wii owners.

Point is, 2 months after launch is extremely hard to say anything about how the system will fare. Online was put in to give players something. But Sony will make it grand soon enough.

Least of all, this insight is coming from Gabe Newell, who is co-founder of Valve (a software company). The fact that Steam failed righ out of the ****ing box, and NOW, 2 years after I got Half-Life 2 does the Friend's feature finally work correctly, seems to be a testament to the shitty nature and lack of respect I give to Gabe in his deliverance of this PS3 tidbit.

Had I just deemed Steam a total failure, uninstalled, and mailed my disc back to Valve demanding a refund because it was a "total disaster on so many levels" then I would have missed out on a great gaming experience.

And thats why I am waiting it out on PS3. Because Sony is a company that has delivered in the past, and just Half-Life 2, I bought for the PS3 for what it DOES deliver on.

F9zDark
January 22nd, 2007, 01:29
Sony PS3 is horrible, its expensive and the games suck and play slow.

Developers are now going to release previously exclusive titles such as Metal Gear Solid 4 on the XBOX 360.

Sony will have to pay out the ass to keep these titles exclusive, and guess what they are not going to keep tossin' money in a money pit.

Enjoy your PS3 (Future 3DO) and watch your sony fanboy hopes go up in flames. OMG you may have to buy the dreaded XBOX 360, god save you.

Metal Gear Solid 4 IS NOT going onto Xbox 360. Why? No BluRay. Kojima

wants a special made SINGLE LAYER 50GB BD for his game. This proves the following:

-Kojima is pushing BluRay to the point that it advances beyond its current, theoretical limitations

-Kojima is pushing MGS4 at least, beyond 25gb, since he said he wanted A 50GB SINGLE LAYER BLURAY DISC

What does this all mean to dumb fanboys such as yourself? Metal Gear Solid 4, WILL NEVER grace the X360.

If you seriously think that Kojima, who has only released one of his games on an American made system, would put his PS3 flagship title on an X360 then I must question your intelligence, because it can't be all that much.

From IGN boards: http://boards.ign.com/the_vestibule/b5296/134991519/p1

Yowsers! The latest 1 UP podcast has confirmed that MGS 4 will most likely require a 50gb Blu-ray disc:

------------

This bit of news will probably send the people who actually thought that 9 GB DVD's were enough for this generation of gaming into a frenzy, but as crazy as it sounds, Hideo Kojima recently said that "Blu-Ray is too small for Metal Gear Solid 4."

The current spec of Blu-Ray is only 25 GB, and he wants
the newer spec 50 GB Blu-Ray for MGS4. (Not a Dual Layer 25 GB Blu-Ray, but the single layer 50 GB Blu-Ray)

While Hideo Kojima doesn't necesarily care much about
HD, he says there's a lot you can do with sound that would fill up a
Blu-Ray disc really quickly. On top of everything else in the game this
apparently makes the game go way past the 25 GB limit. And Kojima said
that he wants to use the new higher spec 50 GB Blu-Ray for MGS4.

Well I guess that confirms it. MGS4 for Xbox 360, an 18 disc box set! lol

On a serious note though, it looks like MGS4 on X360 won't even be possible.

wowzors
January 22nd, 2007, 01:45
I agree, that the Wii is a fad. It is great for simple homebrew though.:cool:
And the PSP and PC are better for simple homebrew

I still don't see PS3 doing well, its losing exclusives Thought exclusives were gay and unreasonable to you? and is way pricey for the average consumer360 +HD DVD Drive + HDMI cables is over 600 :(. As far as exclusives go, Microsoft developed Halo so of course its only on XBOX Dont forget the greed is on Windows on PC. Gears of War is also Microsoft's baby, and again it is exclusive. But are Konami, Capcom, and Square exclusive to Sony, I don't think so. Maybe not Square, but who gives a shit. OMG no FF XXX, its the end of the world. If I needed to play the new FF, I would rent a PS3 and the game and just complete it.:rofl:

Say what you want, XBOX Live is where its at.:thumbup:

I have never played resistance, and I'm sure it is a decent game. But, I bet it plays slow or has framerate hiccups, after some of PS3 games ive experienced at kiosks.Your right constant Framerate online with 40 people and explosions going off is nothing compared to slow duck and hide 8 player gameplay of Gears of War

Thats only a funny statement becuase Final Fantasy is one of the most grossing franchises in Video Gmae history, where is halo on that top 25 list?

And Kiosk's dont even come close to the system at a house, i mean at my local meijer X360 crashes 2 times during Lost planet, but i dont call the system a complete failure.

slappy1
January 22nd, 2007, 02:09
Metal Gear Solid 4 IS NOT going onto Xbox 360. Why? No BluRay. Kojima

wants a special made SINGLE LAYER 50GB BD for his game. This proves the following:

-Kojima is pushing BluRay to the point that it advances beyond its current, theoretical limitations

-Kojima is pushing MGS4 at least, beyond 25gb, since he said he wanted A 50GB SINGLE LAYER BLURAY DISC

What does this all mean to dumb fanboys such as yourself? Metal Gear Solid 4, WILL NEVER grace the X360.

If you seriously think that Kojima, who has only released one of his games on an American made system, would put his PS3 flagship title on an X360 then I must question your intelligence, because it can't be all that much.

From IGN boards: http://boards.ign.com/the_vestibule/b5296/134991519/p1

Okay you say it Metal Gear Solid 4 is 50Gb and will only fit on a BD disc. 20Gb of Resistance game was just padding, I wonder how much of this 50Gb is padding.

Bethesda has already confirmed that they need to repeat game code on their Elder Scrolls game for PS3. Again, More useless padding.

Also, the uncompressed sound can be compressed.

Shed the redundant data, compress the sound and
Presto, MGS4 on XBOX 360. 2 discs max.

Even Kojima said it is possible with 2 discs.

Start crying, Sony Fanboys. Konami a 3rd party developer, ie. not owned by Sony, is seriously considering MGS4 on 360. Konami likes to make money, not lose it.

F9zDark
January 22nd, 2007, 02:38
The fact that Kojima is planning to do alot more with sound than graphics makes your points about compression moot. If he wants a SINGLE LAYER 50gb BluRay because sound is that important indicates, to him, that compression is not an option.

As well, Resistance tops at 16gbs, and has no padding data; it was originally 20gbs because PAL cutscenes were on the disc for PAL users when the PS3 launches in Europe; however they made an NTSC -> PAL converter to save space and cut burning times.

And again, stop getting your hopes up, this is what XBOXIC had to say about the issue:
http://www.xboxic.com/news/1875

Che Chou, ex-1UP staffer and developer at Microsoft’s Forza 2 team, has this to say about the whole deal:

It’s simply a rumor that Konami higher-ups are pressuring Kojima Productions to consider making MGS4 a multiplatform game because production costs on the game are unsurprisingly high and only getting higher. With PS3 install base numbers not looking all that rosy due to console cost and manufacturing problems, Konami is scared they can’t recoup their investment on only 1 platform alone.

It’s also a nice way to maybe blackmail Sony into giving Konami an incentive to keeping the game a PS3 exclusive, imo.

Whatever the case, I highly doubt it’s going to happen so quit building yourself a disappointing kiloton bomb.

Not to mention all respectable sources of information state that its a RUMOR (ie, not to be taken as fact.)

Start crying, Sony Fanboys. Konami a 3rd party developer, ie. not owned by Sony, is seriously considering MGS4 on 360. Konami likes to make money, not lose it.

The only fanboy here is you. I don't hate the Xbox or its games (in fact, I like the Halo series and depending on how Halo 3 is, might even get a 360 for it, but a $400 console for 1 game is assinine). I do hate Microshit for their business tactics (and this was before there was EVER an Xbox). So stop slating all of us PS3 users around here as Sony fanboys; for the most part, most of us have kept an open mind about it and have only stated our business because YOU the Microshit fanboy started this whole mess.

slappy1
January 22nd, 2007, 13:26
The only fanboy here is you. I don't hate the Xbox or its games (in fact, I like the Halo series and depending on how Halo 3 is, might even get a 360 for it, but a $400 console for 1 game is assinine). I do hate Microshit for their business tactics (and this was before there was EVER an Xbox). So stop slating all of us PS3 users around here as Sony fanboys; for the most part, most of us have kept an open mind about it and have only stated our business because YOU the Microshit fanboy started this whole mess.

$400 for one game? Are you crazy? 360 has many more games than PS3, barring backward titles.

I must admit though, I feel the same for PS3. $600 to only have approx. 10 games to choose from, that is what really blows.

I could really give a shit less if MGS4 comes to 360, since I am personally not interested in the game. Snake probably dies like in a previous game, the you get to play as a chinaman for the rest of the game.:rofl:

But seriously, Kojima has said 2 discs is possible for 360. I guess someone higher up ( The people at Konami who project profits, and cut Kojima's pay check ) have pretty much determined that a 360 release of MGS4 will make them an assload of money.

Lets see there are currently 1M PS3s in homes and there are 10M 360s in homes. What would you do? I don't know about you but I see the potential for 10 times the profit here, and you can bet Konami has seen it too.:thumbup:

I don't even have a 360 you chode. I have just played them both and the PS3 played slow, is too pricey, and has almost no games. This is why I prefer 360, and I have been thinking of getting one as soon as KOEI releases a Dynasty Warriors that is developed for the next gen systems ( PS3 & 360 ).

January 22nd, 2007, 16:38
Everybody, gather round as slappy1 sits back from another one of his magical posts, looks up at the XBox360 poster on his wall, and begins to violently masturbate his beaten and bruised penis, stopping only to launch his face into a family sized pizza that is perching upon his unclean desk.

irongiant
January 22nd, 2007, 17:29
$400 for one game? Are you crazy? 360 has many more games than PS3, barring backward titles.

I must admit though, I feel the same for PS3. $600 to only have approx. 10 games to choose from, that is what really blows.

Are you a complete moron? of course the 360 has more games it's been available for over a year.

I could really give a shit less if MGS4 comes to 360, since I am personally not interested in the game. Snake probably dies like in a previous game, the you get to play as a chinaman for the rest of the game.:rofl:

What's wrong with that? Are you a racist as that comment suggests.

But seriously, Kojima has said 2 discs is possible for 360. I guess someone higher up ( The people at Konami who project profits, and cut Kojima's pay check ) have pretty much determined that a 360 release of MGS4 will make them an assload of money.

If that's the case we'll also see Lost Planet and Dead Rising on the PS3 over time, just like we did with the 'Only on XBox360' game Oblivion.

Lets see there are currently 1M PS3s in homes and there are 10M 360s in homes. What would you do? I don't know about you but I see the potential for 10 times the profit here, and you can bet Konami has seen it too.:thumbup:

10m shipped not sold. MGS4 isn't anywhere near finished yet, the PS3 userbase will be much higher when the game is ready.

I don't even have a 360 you chode. I have just played them both and the PS3 played slow, is too pricey, and has almost no games. This is why I prefer 360, and I have been thinking of getting one as soon as KOEI releases a Dynasty Warriors that is developed for the next gen systems ( PS3 & 360 ).

So i assume you've played the retail version of Motorstorm and F1 then as they're both fantastic looking games and are not slow. Don't worry though, when MS officially announce they're making games that require the HD-DVD drive then you'll be spending more than PS3 owners.

slappy1
January 22nd, 2007, 17:43
So i assume you've played the retail version of Motorstorm and F1 then as they're both fantastic looking games and are not slow. Don't worry though, when MS officially announce they're making games that require the HD-DVD drive then you'll be spending more than PS3 owners.

Not gonna happen, Microsoft has no need to push HD-DVD since they don't own the technology, unlike Sony with Blue-Ray. Your comment is plain stupid.

Enjoy your resistance game until the multiplatform game MGS4 is released.

Who the Fuc* wants to play as Sorrid Snrake and not Solid Snake. Snake is Snake, not some lame ass asian dude.

I'll buy it for the 360, while I 'choke the chicken' to its awesomeness.

Cap'n 1time
January 22nd, 2007, 18:17
I think dreamcast is the superior console still. winner.

gdf
January 22nd, 2007, 20:07
Dreamcast is only OK!

wowzors
January 22nd, 2007, 21:19
Someone got a Xbox 360 for christmas

:rolleyes:

F9zDark
January 23rd, 2007, 04:35
Not gonna happen, Microsoft has no need to push HD-DVD since they don't own the technology, unlike Sony with Blue-Ray. Your comment is plain stupid.

Microsoft may not 'own' HD-DVD, but they are a large supporter of it. Not to mention making an X360 HD-DVD rom addon would have cost them entirely too much money to R&D if they didn't have any plans on making it a large part of their future plans for the 360.

And anyone fooling themselves into believing that Microsoft wouldn't utilize HD-DVD to the fullest extent (ie, games requiring it) is just fooling themselves; Microsoft has not cared for any of its consumers since the early 90s and has brute forced its way to the top.

And if you don't own either system, why do you care whatsoever? Is your Wii not good enough for you to the point where you need to come here and bash other consoles out of jealousy?

And my point about 1 game, wasn't talking about 1 game on 360 total; I was talking about how I am only INTERESTED in 1 game...

irongiant
January 23rd, 2007, 10:37
"Who the Fuc* wants to play as Sorrid Snrake and not Solid Snake. Snake is Snake, not some lame ass asian dude."

So you are racist scum then as i suspected.. shouldn't you be at school now?

A friend of mine has seen internal documentation regarding the HD-DVD, it will definitely be used for games so get used to the idea.

dejkirkby
January 23rd, 2007, 11:14

Enjoy your resistance game until the multiplatform game MGS4 is released.

Who the Fuc* wants to play as Sorrid Snrake and not Solid Snake. Snake is Snake, not some lame ass asian dude.

I'll buy it for the 360, while I 'choke the chicken' to its awesomeness.

You lost the argument for me with this comment. This ain't the '50s boy. Rasicm is not cool.

slappy1
January 23rd, 2007, 14:15
Microsoft may not 'own' HD-DVD, but they are a large supporter of it. Not to mention making an X360 HD-DVD rom addon would have cost them entirely too much money to R&D if they didn't have any plans on making it a large part of their future plans for the 360.

And anyone fooling themselves into believing that Microsoft wouldn't utilize HD-DVD to the fullest extent (ie, games requiring it) is just fooling themselves; Microsoft has not cared for any of its consumers since the early 90s and has brute forced its way to the top.

And if you don't own either system, why do you care whatsoever? Is your Wii not good enough for you to the point where you need to come here and bash other consoles out of jealousy?

And my point about 1 game, wasn't talking about 1 game on 360 total; I was talking about how I am only INTERESTED in 1 game...

Microsoft has already confirmed that they will never make the HD-DVD drive internal, because they are not sure how successful it will be. The only reason they made an HD-DVD add-on is because the 360 has the power to process and display HD disc data, and they sure as hell weren't going to make a Blue-Ray add and in turn help the company they are trying there damnedest to crush. Think about that.

I personally believe if there are some rumours that microsoft has been mulling games on HD-DVDs, that will be strictly next gen. Sony will probably just start turning a profit on PS3 by the time Microsoft's next system is released. Think about that.

Also, If Kojima wants Metal Gear fans to play as one of his native peoples, he needs to create a new series. How about 'Metal Gear: Dog Eater'.

briyan
January 23rd, 2007, 15:07
To SLAPPY1 (redneck through and through) -- i have a 360 and i think it's the best next gen console out there with what it has and it has to offer but seriously bashing other races and singling them out because you're too american to even say anything good about a console by a japanese company is not cool at all. before you start saying things about japanese "people", take a good look at the pic attached to your dcemu profile, it's from an anime, a product of japan. u seriously need to think before you say shit about things u actually knowingly like but u just hate to admit. take your racism to your favorite hick government official and let him help you on singling people out. but not here, we come from all walks of life.

slappy1
January 23rd, 2007, 15:39
To SLAPPY1 (redneck through and through) -- i have a 360 and i think it's the best next gen console out there with what it has and it has to offer but seriously bashing other races and singling them out because you're too american to even say anything good about a console by a japanese company is not cool at all. before you start saying things about japanese "people", take a good look at the pic attached to your dcemu profile, it's from an anime, a product of japan. u seriously need to think before you say shit about things u actually knowingly like but u just hate to admit. take your racism to your favorite hick government official and let him help you on singling people out. but not here, we come from all walks of life.

I never said anything racist, I do watch some anime such as Fists of the North Star and Berserk and I do like it. You just hate americans, and are a damn commi.

I think the japanese peoples' feelings toward americans, speaks for itself based on xbox sales in the land of the rising sun.

You a ****ing moron, through and through.

Did I say gook, chink, flip, etc. NOOOOOOO!!!! Go **** yourself.

Again I said nothing racist, only stereotypical. Which is not racism. Do the majority of Black persons listen to rap, yes, not racist but stereotypical. Do the majority of white people listen to rap, no, again not racist but stereotypical. Do Asian people eat cats & dogs, yes, not racist but stereotypical. Sorrid Snrake is just a play asian pronunciation, and yes the playable asian character, in a Previous Metal Gear, who was lame and virtually killed my interest in the series.

I like how a dumbshit like you can change this into a pure racism debate.

I am done here, post all the stupid racism comebacks you want.

Oh yeah, you fuc* your mother.

dejkirkby
January 23rd, 2007, 15:46

This is JUST as racist as called the people a derogatory name.

irongiant
January 23rd, 2007, 17:04
I never said anything racist, I do watch some anime such as Fists of the North Star and Berserk and I do like it. You just hate americans, and are a damn commi.

I think the japanese peoples' feelings toward americans, speaks for itself based on xbox sales in the land of the rising sun.

You a ****ing moron, through and through.

Did I say gook, chink, flip, etc. NOOOOOOO!!!! Go **** yourself.

Again I said nothing racist, only stereotypical. Which is not racism. Do the majority of Black persons listen to rap, yes, not racist but stereotypical. Do the majority of white people listen to rap, no, again not racist but stereotypical. Do Asian people eat cats & dogs, yes, not racist but stereotypical. Sorrid Snrake is just a play asian pronunciation, and yes the playable asian character, in a Previous Metal Gear, who was lame and virtually killed my interest in the series.

I like how a dumbshit like you can change this into a pure racism debate.

I am done here, post all the stupid racism comebacks you want.

Oh yeah, you fuc* your mother.

Way to go junior.. you don't even understand what racism is. The amount of swearing you post just proves how small minded you really are, it's quite easy to have an intelligent debate without resorting to foul language, something you're obviously incapable of.

As for the Japanese feelings towards americans, you really have no clue whatsoever, dumb fool.

Xtreme03
January 23rd, 2007, 17:29

Anything to try and justify wasting $500. Maybe you aren't mad because your mommy bought it for you? :cool:

"Haha" not everyone cares to throw away that much money on a console that hasn't delivered on any of it's promises.

F9zDark
January 23rd, 2007, 19:12
It delivered on all of its promises to me. Play games, watch movies, listen to music, runs linux.

And mommy doesn't buy anything for me; just because someone works a job and can afford a PS3 doesn't mean mommy bought it.

Added:

To Slappy, Solid Snake is not Japanese... He is American. Why do you think MGS2 made us play as Raiden? Because Kojima wanted to show us how a Japanese-style character archetype; Americans didn't like this whatsoever to be honest, to the point that Kojima made an MGS2 version (I think it was for the Gamecube, or maybe Xbox; forgot which) that put the player in the role of Snake.

You thinking that Snake is Japanese is just stupidity. And stereotypes are racist you dumb ****. The sheer amount of stereotypes that apply solely to race alone is staggering for you to even think that what you said was not racist...

Cap'n 1time
January 24th, 2007, 05:31
quit with the flaming/ racism. those who let the whole "my console is better than yours" escalate to this level of flameage is lame. and my dreamcast runs linux and plays music and plays divx, and video CD's. Not only that, but its library destroys the current PS3 library.. therefore my dreamcast is superior to the PS3.

My hacked xbox on the other hand runs linux, plays a few fairly good games, runs more music and video codecs then the ps3 in its current state, and runs all sorts of emulators. my xbox isnt as beloved as my dreamcast but its still superior to the ps3.

My point? The additive crap like linux and support for a few silly media types wont make me go out and buy a ps3 (i can do all that already) .. its the games baby! When the ps3 gets some good software it will be a force to be reckoned with. Till then, its just a shiny black $600 brick... that hums. I have no use for bricks in my living room.

stepppp
January 24th, 2007, 19:02
Anyone who thinks the PS3 wont sell more than the 360 is a complete arsehole. I have both and yes the 360 has better online capabilities, but the "Playstation" brand is too strong for Microsoft to win this gen, maybe the next round will be different.

The PS3 will sell by the shitload when it gets going, also BLU RAY will simply blow HD DVD away.

Give it a year and watch, a few AAA games and watch all these idiots on this thread slagging it off come back and praise its arse.

Just buy both the 360 and PS3 and be happy and stop f ing moaning.

jereminion
January 25th, 2007, 04:25
i doubt the ps3 is going to ever be better than 360.. if metal gear comes our for 360 AND ps3... ps3 is doomed

i have ps3 and a 360.. the ps3 sits in the dust while i play gears of war.. once halo 3 comes out perhaps ps3 will be in a box to save room..

i just hope ps3 gets better games or homebrew so i can wipe the dust off of it

shadowprophet
January 25th, 2007, 14:53
That these dabates always end with everyone excluding the wii from the race almost entirely.
The wii will win this. look at the numbers. those who feel differenty are entitled to that opinion, however they're also entitled to be wrong as well..
and for the record, 1x's dreamcast does kick way more ass then the ps3 and 360 combined.

F9zDark
January 25th, 2007, 16:32
This is just getting assinine. If the Dreamcast kicked any ass, it would still be around and Sega wouldn't be making software for all of the other hardware companies.

End of story.

Secondly, the Wii is excluded because its not a next gen console. Its a Gamecube 1.5 and the only 'next gen' thing about it is the Wii-mote.

Nintendo tried way to hard to be innovative and fell very short of that because their implementation of the Wii-mote is the bane of the system. I played the Wii for a good 4 hours at my friends house, and yes it was fun, but breaking a sweat over a game is crap, not to mention the lack of precision and misreads of the Wii-mote makes for a very frustrating experience.

As well the fact that both of my friends who own Wii's haven't touched them in a good solid month is indicative enough to me that the Wii will fail; numbers mean nothing in the beginning, especially since there was hype. Give it a year or so and we'll see what those numbers are and then we can decide whats gonna happen.

TuRDMaN
January 25th, 2007, 18:58
The Wii has sold a lot, and probably will sell a lot more, but I think of it more as a party game than as a next-gen videogame console. When I have a bunk of drunks over at my house, it's great to watch everyone flailing around in front of the TV, but when I'm relaxing and wanting to play some games, I'm just not into it.

Cap'n 1time
January 25th, 2007, 19:08
This is just getting assinine. If the Dreamcast kicked any ass, it would still be around and Sega wouldn't be making software for all of the other hardware companies.

This is besides the point. My point that the gimmicks involved with the ps3 are no reason to buy a ps3.

I also dont think a console from 2 generations ago would be still alive and kicëing. Also the dreamcast did kick ass and in case you havnt noticed... this site is sort of a tribute to it. Again, to most people video games really just depend upon the software. Hell, I get more entertainment out of my SNES now then I do my ps3... because of this, the SNES is superior to the ps3 at the moment.

If you cant make games... fun games with newer and more powerful hardware... then dont bother making a new console. Once again at the moment the ps3 has a huge lack of software that interests me, and apparently alot of other people. We will have to wait and see how it does.

F9zDark
January 25th, 2007, 19:14
You're right the software is lacking at the moment. But thats no reason to write the PS3 off as a failure...

Eventually it will get better.

Cap'n 1time
January 25th, 2007, 21:09
You're right the software is lacking at the moment. But thats no reason to write the PS3 off as a failure...

Eventually it will get better.

Every console starts out slow. I think you certainly shouldnt write it off first thing as a failure. I just think that the extra gimmicks (linux, support for some lame media types, and blue ray) are no reason to buy this machine. If you are one to purchase a lot of movies, and have a really sweet HDtv setup maybe...

hexmex357
January 25th, 2007, 23:23
Yes the system has been out for a few months yes software sucks. But you do not judge a console in its rookie season you judge it when its career is over! I see a lot of positive things coming in the future. Yellow Dog Linux for instance was a good move. Homebrew would be great. Samba server is a possibility. I would love to have my computer be a server to my ps3 wireless. Play all of my movies , videos and MP3s. Not to mention I do not have to go buy a High Def player anymore. In march hopefully they get updates fixed as far as playing music as you play. Did xbox 360 have great launch titles in the beginning. People just be patient and good things will come!!!!

wowzors
January 26th, 2007, 04:47
Im confused, MGS4 on xbox360 would be no more of a hit or shall I say flop as metalgear solid 2 substance was on xbox. Its gameplay/buttons arent ment for the controller, not to mention why would you buy 4 when you dont have 3 for the 360? Not all 360 owners have even heard of Metal Gear Solid. Actually, almost none of them have, all they know about is the over hyped games like crackdown,halo 3,and Gears of War.

Oh by the way how is lost planet? its japanese so its probably trash compared to your american made games.

jereminion
January 26th, 2007, 05:06
metal gear would be a good game for the ps3 alone to have but if 360 got it it would be bad for ps3 since metal gear is a good series

and some people dont care that they dont have metal gear 3.. probibly just playing for fun rather than memorizing the story and tying things together (well i dont care id play metal gear 4 without playing metal gear 3)

if metal gear is for 360 it will probibly have an online mode which will dominate ps3's for obvious reasons

and "Not all 360 owners have even heard of Metal Gear Solid."....
all you have to do is make a commersial and people know about it.. or just put it on the game shelf next to gears of war and now they know about it.

the reason 360 owners only know about games like crackdown, halo 3, and gears of war is because they are the best games 360 will probibly have(well so far) since halo 1+2 are good games for xbox and are still being played on xboxlive and xbconnect frequently

i dont even know about crackdown though.. i know alot of people are buying it because it comes with halo 3 multiplayer demo

Cap'n 1time
January 26th, 2007, 08:32

Oh by the way how is lost planet? its japanese so its probably trash compared to your american made games.

nothing made by capcom is EVER trash. While this is the first game of its kind for japan (that i know of) I dont see any reason why anyone would say they cant execute a game as well as the Americans. Japan is usually credited for comeing up with new and interesting ideas and different ways of playing. Dont knock japanese developers.

Another issue I have is you suggesting Gears of War is over hyped. Gears of War was hardly over hyped. While it has its (very few) flaws, it was really made as sort of a proof of concept for the new Unreal 3.0 engine... In other words this is the same technology that will be going into UT2k7 (which will apparently be on PC and PS3 and maybe the 360). For any modern game its quite good, but considering its really more of a super sized public tech demo it's pretty amazing. Actually due to its success it wouldnt surprise me if other 3rd parties (more than usual at least) take some interest in using the new Unreal Engine.

Hmm actually thats one thing that can bring xbox 360 and ps3 fanatics together in agreement... Unreal Engine 3.0 is in-****ing-credible!

gdf
January 26th, 2007, 13:33
Im confused, MGS4 on xbox360 would be no more of a hit or shall I say flop as metalgear solid 2 substance was on xbox. Its gameplay/buttons arent ment for the controller, not to mention why would you buy 4 when you dont have 3 for the 360? Not all 360 owners have even heard of Metal Gear Solid. Actually, almost none of them have, all they know about is the over hyped games like crackdown,halo 3,and Gears of War.

mgs4 would be a massive sucess on 360 considering many 360 owners are massive mgs fans (much like myself, who owned a ps2 not xbox). dont call japanese games trash, as there wouldn't be games if it wasn't for japan, and most of the BEST GAMES OF ALL TIME tm came from there, FF, MGS, Zelda, Mario, etc etc

F9zDark
January 26th, 2007, 16:52
Another issue I have is you suggesting Gears of War is over hyped. Gears of War was hardly over hyped.

Bro I am sorry, but that is utter bullshit. If you watched MTV before the launch of Gears of War....

Concerts dedicated to it, bands promoting it, huge parties with the devs and fans...

GoW was the most hyped game in the history of man.

Cap'n 1time
January 27th, 2007, 05:01
Bro I am sorry, but that is utter bullshit. If you watched MTV before the launch of Gears of War....

Concerts dedicated to it, bands promoting it, huge parties with the devs and fans...

GoW was the most hyped game in the history of man.

I was more or less referring to "over hyped". There is quite a difference between hyped and over hyped. Halo 2 was over hyped (still a somewhat decent game). Zelda TP was overhyped (still a decent game). Gears of War lived up to my expectations. As someone that is an avid Unreal Engine supporter I've been reading about Gears of War since 2005. Anyone that thnks this game did not live up to the "hype" either didnt follow what the "hype" suggested about the game and more over, probably hasnt really played it. Why people consider "hyped" games to be negative is beyond me. When they meet the expectations of the gamer, the "hype" was well placed.

wowzors
January 28th, 2007, 01:40
How is gears of war not over hyped? Its not innovative and its extremly short. Game of the year, no, excellent graphics and sound, yes. Its simply a game that passes as a must have due to it using the Unreal engine, theres nothing astounding about the gameplay, infact its been used before.

hynesy
February 11th, 2007, 06:14
Did anyone stop to think that, even though the PS3 has had such bad press that it may be piggy backed through alot of sales because the PS2 sold more consoles than any other, and I bet you that, people who see the PS3 in the shops will want to buy it because is the PS2 was so popular, and you must all keep in mind that hardly anyone is going to be looking in forums and websites to find out whether the PS3 is worth it, they see special things like the blu ray disc and thinks its an extra bonus even with the problems it has at times, baring in mind, I own a 360 and the dvd quality on that is good but by no means great.

ElRazur
February 11th, 2007, 12:03
How is gears of war not over hyped? Its not innovative and its extremly short. Game of the year, no, excellent graphics and sound, yes. Its simply a game that passes as a must have due to it using the Unreal engine, theres nothing astounding about the gameplay, infact its been used before.

I have to agree, i played it for a while and it reminds me of Kill switch! Hmmmm.

irongiant
February 13th, 2007, 10:13
I have to agree, i played it for a while and it reminds me of Kill switch! Hmmmm.

Gears of War looks and sounds fantastic but as far as the game underneath it's just above average. I played it through to completion and haven't touched it since. It was hyped as being the next big thing in gaming and it's far from being that, if all you wanted was a loud and pretty shooter then that's all you got.. personally when i'm spending $50 or so on a game i want depth and more than a handful of hours gameplay in the single player campaign.