PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Developer: "Blu-ray Is Slower

wraggster
January 19th, 2007, 00:15
via gwn (http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/11006/title/Oblivion_Developer_Blu-ray_Is_Slower.html)

Speaking with EGM, a paper magazine, Bethesda Software's Todd Howard commented on the upcoming PS3 version of Oblivion:

"Drive speed matters more to me [than capacity], and Blu-ray is slower."

The developer is apparently duplicating critical data on the Blu-ray disc in order to fill up all the unused space, which improves load times for the game. Tests have shown that load times on the PS3 could be slightly slower than those on the Xbox 360, which has lead the developer to using data duplication techniques to improve the PS3's performance.

As soon as Oblivion launches, we'll report back with exact load time statistics for comparison with the Xbox 360 version. This will give us the first real comparison between the Xbox 360 and PS3 load times. Of course, it could be argued that the PS3 version contains more data, and thus will load slower regardless.

F9zDark
January 19th, 2007, 01:21
Interesting. But rather than fill up the discs with duplicate data, why not opt for putting some of the most used information on the hard drive?

Cap'n 1time
January 19th, 2007, 06:25
Interesting. But rather than fill up the discs with duplicate data, why not opt for putting some of the most used information on the hard drive?

I believe halo and probably halo 2 do this on the xbox.

irongiant
January 19th, 2007, 11:35
Is this the most interesting quote in the article? Why can't interviewers ask the questions we all want to know, as in how is the PS3 in terms of raw power? How hard is it to develop for it? Has it still got a lot of untapped potential under the hood? Can they do more with it than the 360 etc etc. I couldn't give a toss which one loads quicker.