PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 Hands-on

wraggster
January 19th, 2007, 00:25
Via ign (http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/756/756124p1.html)

Tiger and the Wiimote have something in common, and it's not that whiny little kids push their buttons. They were both born to golf.

While golf is nothing new to the console, Wii Sports and Super Swing Golf are not going to satisfy true golf fans longing to grip and rip the Wiimote on The Old Course at St. Andrews. Only Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 can do that.

At Electronic Arts in Redwood Shores, Calif. on Tuesday, we had a chance to sit down (or is it stand up?) with the first installment of Tiger Wii, currently slated for a March release. While we've played our fair share of golf games with newfangled control schemes (ProStroke Golf and Real World Golf, to name a few), we've always wanted to see how a Tiger game would turn out with a new control setup. As fun as those other games are, where else can you play as John Daly and, bless her heart, Annika Sorenstam?

It's all in the hips. It's all in the hips.

Thankfully, Tiger is as fun as ever on the Wii and even more accessible. Want to see for yourself? Click on the media links below for new gameplay footage and screens.

The swing tracking is very accurate for drives and approach shots, and I found myself interlocking my fingers on the Wiimote, trying to get a traditional golf grip. Here's how the controls break down:

To swing, hold down B and make a golf swing. It's that simple. Like in other versions of Tiger, if you don't take the club back all the way, you will have less power on your shot. Unlike in other version, power is controlled by the speed of your downswing. The faster you swing, the farther it goes. Of course, if you push your downswing left or right, you're very likely to dig your Nike ball out of the bushes.

Once the ball is in the air, you induce spin by tapping the D-pad and shaking the Wiimote. The wrist strap is recommended here. To fade or draw the ball, you simply open or close the club face, respectively. Since the club face is really the Wiimote, you rotate it so the A button is facing the screen or facing away from the screen. Then take a natural swing and admire your physics-defying spin.

Full article at link above

ICE
January 19th, 2007, 03:29
SWEET. i am so buying this. i LOVED wii golf so this will rule.

MikeDX
January 19th, 2007, 08:19
Looking at the video for this, there is no doubt in my mind that I'll be buying it when it is released. The news says it all - The wii was born to golf.

hp1
January 19th, 2007, 12:13
Sounds good though I'm not sure about affecting the spin of the ball after the shot has been played? My only critiscism of Wii Golf was the use of the D pad for direction, this sounds like its all down to how you hold the club and angle you swing it.

I'll get it.

Wolf_Hook
January 20th, 2007, 16:04
I hated Wii golf as I couldn't make a full swing on it. The game was designed with a majority in mind rather than people who really play golf. Understandable really but frustrating for someone like me who actually plays golf and just wanted to go mad with the Wii remote.

Since I bought my Wii and read that EA were in production for Tiger Woods I was looking forward to it although I have to say most Tiger games on other consoles have been disappointing to say the least so I hope the Wii remote will add a little something special.