PDA

View Full Version : PSP7800: Atari 7800 emulator for PSP v1.0.4 (game compatibility)

zx-81
January 19th, 2007, 17:52
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/images/psp7800-snap-4.jpg

Hi All,

Here is a new version of PSP7800 the Atari 7800 console emulator.

What's new in version 1.0.4 :

The two following features were presents in the original ProSystem
emulator but had been disabled during the PSP port :
- Add bios file support (you need the 7800.rom file)
- Add games database system (prosystem.dat file)
- Load default.kbd file on startup (if file is present in kbd folder)

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

Sources are included, and this package is under the GNU public license,
read COPYING.txt file for more information about it.

**** Big Big thanks to Danno for his help on game compatibility issues ! ***

Enjoy,

Zx

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

EvilDooinz
January 19th, 2007, 18:41
Great work zx. thanks.

dazman
January 19th, 2007, 21:31
Again your great work keeps coming, And very great full I am.

But please can you look at the possibility of a Vic 20.

Great work
Daz

Tetris999
January 20th, 2007, 02:03
i have to say zx, without having you deving for the psp i couldnt say it can run any system :D

Poem58
January 20th, 2007, 03:14
Sorry ZX..I havent had but a minute to test since you sent me the release....I do know one game (cant remember which) that worked on 1.0.3 did NOT work in this release....if I can get some time I will test and report on each game using BOTH versions to give a rundown...unless someone beats me to it:)

carpy
January 20th, 2007, 03:21
ALL current games work on this release, with the exception of the later releases of the Hombrew game Beef Drop, which doesn't work on the Windows port either.

It's a RIOT timer issue, which neither Greg Stanton (Original Prosystem Developer) nor Ken Siders (Beef Drop author) have been able to figure out in the last two years.

also - note: One on One Basketball works perfectly if you set frame limiting to 30 FPS, at 333mhz. This is the ONLY 7800 emu on ANY platform to run One on One at the correct speed, even if you have to set it up separately.

By the way - Zx - I am Danno.

Poem58
January 20th, 2007, 03:34
Carpy...NOT all games work on this release...from a certain perspective...what firmware are you using?

We both have the same roms from the same sources and mine are NOT all working in 1.0.3 or 1.0.4. And some still have glitches like Ninja Golf in both....

I am using 3.02OE-A so I am reporting on the success from my firmware...it appears since day one that your successes and failures with this emu are different than mine.

One on One basketball appeared to work on default settings for me at a great speed even in 1.0.3....

If you are still on 1.5 this may be the reason for me to return to it. As at least Dgen did not work anymore for me for some reason once I upgraded...if you are 3.03OE-B then I need to upgrade....

Lets compare notes shall we?

carpy
January 20th, 2007, 03:42
Make sure you have the latest build ZX-81 released. Also, make sure taht the prosystem.dat file is in the same folder as the eboot.pbp, and that the folder is named appropriately.

I've tested it on All 3 firmwares, 1.5, 3.02OE-A and 3.03OE-b. I get the same results. even in 2.71 using eloader.

Ninja golf works fine. ALL Official roms work fine. You need to download the official roms from atari7800.org. Any other roms are non-official dumps, and could be causing your problems.

zx-81
January 20th, 2007, 08:26
By the way - Zx - I am Danno.

lol, i didn't recognize you, hidden behind this pseudo :D :D :D

Poem58
January 20th, 2007, 08:40
Make sure you have the latest build ZX-81 released. Also, make sure taht the prosystem.dat file is in the same folder as the eboot.pbp, and that the folder is named appropriately.

I've tested it on All 3 firmwares, 1.5, 3.02OE-A and 3.03OE-b. I get the same results. even in 2.71 using eloader.

Ninja golf works fine. ALL Official roms work fine. You need to download the official roms from atari7800.org. Any other roms are non-official dumps, and could be causing your problems.

I wish you'd stop saying I need to downlaod the Official roms..I download EXACTLY what you told me too..and have said that before....I have tested up to the letter S...The list is long (10-20 failures in one way or another)and I don't have time to type it right now...But I have roms that wont boot even the Atari logo, some will go into game and have corrupt graphics some blank screen...the problems are rampant yet some games run perfect...no setting change makes any work that don't at default.

You've tested on all 3 firmwares? You have 3-4 PSP!? I hope your not constantly changing firmware!:p
Look all I am saying is it doesn't work completely for me....
Maybe there's something wrong...but all versions I have tried (ZX actually PM'ed me the .4 version) have had some issues and I have downloaded the roms you linked me too. Even all the hacked roms work aside from one Ms. Pac man hack...but some others just plain don't work or work right. For me at least....the other ZX emu's work and most all of the other Emu's I have (apart from Dgen)work just fine.
I don't know why this one has issues...
That's what I was hoping to solve....

It seems however that we are the only two getting in depth on this so we cant correlate that everyone else has it working perfectly...
I will believe that I could have some sort of corruption...but I have redownloaded and reloaded the roms..no change...
I have the 7800.rom in the right place (not that that helps cause I had problems in the previous releases that didn't require it and I know there's at least one game that worked in 1.0.3 that doesn't in .4.... Realsports Baseball)
it's 3:32 AM here and I'm going to bed but I will doublecheck the prosystem.dat and kbd files later and get back to you...
There have been a few homebrew titles that even on 1.5 wouldn't run on mine that ran on others 1.5..one that comes to mind was SmashGP? ( I hope thats right)...
Bought mine 1.5 (launch day North America)upgraded to 2.0 found the scene and downgraded to 1.5 then recently upped to 3.02-A....I wonder if there could be some unusual problem with my PSP...
I noticed as well...after loading a rom that went blank if I tried to exit the emu I had to reset the PSP cause it would lock up....

Any of this info help?
If I have to I'll go back to 1.5 and devhook...or should I go up to 3.03 cause didn't 3.02-a to b contain bugfixes of some kind could that be my problem?

Any way you look at it....what does work is awsome and I thank ZX for his work...despite my buggy PSP!

carpy
January 21st, 2007, 02:46
Download the latest build. The one he PMed you might have been an unfinished beta.

Also - Delete all the psp7800 files from your memory sitck and start from scratch with the latest build.

Poem58
January 21st, 2007, 04:34
Thx...I'll try that if I can...But I just saw Zx put up a 2600 EMU already!
So I may not care about 7800 for awhile!

Edit: I just noticed the 1.0.4 he sent me WAS a beta...gonna remove and reload all...hopefully I have better luck with this one....

Poem58
January 21st, 2007, 14:32
That was the problem!

I don't know what ZX changed between beta and release but the beta REALLY was messed up

The full .4 is as far as I can tell....near perfect.
I say near cause realsports baseball failed to load as it did in .2....gonna see if the rom got corrupted somehow....probably the problem

All other roms tested worked (that didn't previously as well)

Wonderful job ZX wonderful!

Now to go rock 2600 for a long while!
I am a happy happy boy!:thumbup:

classicgmr
January 21st, 2007, 15:51
A 7800 emulator is exactly what I have wanted for a while now.

This fits nicely with the 2600, ColecoVision and Intellivision emulators from the "Glory Days of Video Games"! :D

Thank you for all your great emulation work ZX! :thumbup:

cyberg0at
January 31st, 2007, 22:06
Is there a way to make it fullscreen?
Edit: Nevermind I found it :P