PDA

View Full Version : DJs knew that she could die, said as much

wraggster
January 19th, 2007, 19:05
via wiifanboy (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/01/19/djs-knew-that-she-could-die-said-as-much/)

According to the latest news in the horrible tragedy that saw one woman trying to win a Wii die from chugging H20, after several from the station were fired, word comes in that, during the contest, the on-air personalities stated they knew that it was dangerous. After a listener called in to warn them, one of the DJs commented "Yeah, we're aware of that," being backed up by his on-air co-pilot who said "they signed releases, so we're not responsible. We're OK." What's even worse is that during the show, the DJs even commented on a similar case that ended in death for a college student.

As of now, the family of Jennifer Lea Strange are planning on filing a wrongful death suit against radio station 107.9 KDND-FM.

shadowprophet
January 19th, 2007, 19:11
Those poeple should be locked up and the key thrown into the deepest part of the ocean:mad:

philr359
January 19th, 2007, 20:05
irresponsible jackasses :(
i hope the family wins their suit against them

ExcruciationX
January 19th, 2007, 20:11
Hang the Sons of Bitches! :mad:

This particular event pisses me off the most. It's not like they had no clue! They KNEW it could happen.

But, NO! They had to put people in danger! :mad:

curt_grymala
January 19th, 2007, 20:38
While I think this is a real shame, I still feel like there's no reason this woman's family should be able to sue the radio station.

Yes, those jackasses should lose their jobs, and yes, the upper-level management should punish and or sack everyone that was involved with the idea for this contest, but they should not be able to sue the station.

If it was announced that it was dangerous on their show, which it obviously was, and they actually detailed another event where someone else had died from doing this sort of thing, then the woman can't claim ignorance either. It's her own damn fault she put herself in that situation.

Again, the situation is absolutely horrible, and I do feel bad for her family, but suing the radio station is complete BS.

If I decide I'm going to go skydiving, and my chute malfunctions, I wouldn't expect there to be any way my family could sue the people that took me skydiving. The only possible way they'd be able to sue would be if the people taking me skydiving intentionally messed with my chute. If it was just a freak accident, which this woman's death was, there's no way we could sue.

alienanthropologist
January 19th, 2007, 21:59
This is an absolutely awful situation.

Obviously, it is most tragic for this poor woman and her family.
I'm sure that there was an element of health and safety neglect from the radio station's side, but I think most reasonable people would realise that this hideously unfortunate incident was first and foremost an accident.
Indeed, the whole affair is a huge tragedy and I'm sure this has also wrecked the lives of many people at the Radio Station.
I'm not trying to equate all these things, but a woman has died, children have lost their mother, people have been sacked, people's lives have been shaken, and now there is a legal battle about to begin.
This was a terrible terrible outcome to what was intended to be a light-hearted competition. No-one set out to cause harm, and no-one was forced to do anything against their will (as far as I can tell). I feel sympathy not only for that woman's family, but everyone involved.:(

Demolition49
January 20th, 2007, 00:29
via wiifanboy (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/01/19/djs-knew-that-she-could-die-said-as-much/)

According to the latest news in the horrible tragedy that saw one woman trying to win a Wii die from chugging H20, after several from the station were fired, word comes in that, during the contest, the on-air personalities stated they knew that it was dangerous. After a listener called in to warn them, one of the DJs commented "Yeah, we're aware of that," being backed up by his on-air co-pilot who said "they signed releases, so we're not responsible. We're OK." What's even worse is that during the show, the DJs even commented on a similar case that ended in death for a college student.

As of now, the family of Jennifer Lea Strange are planning on filing a wrongful death suit against radio station 107.9 KDND-FM.

When you say commented on a similar case, what do you exactly mean... details are VERY important in this type of incident. I do feel deep sympathy for the family and i cannot possibly contemplate what it is like to lose your mother/wife.

Secondly I would like to see what the DJ's have to say after the incident and make a statement. In these type of incidents we cannot jump to an assumption.

Furthurmore i do not like quotations from that pick out certain parts of a conversation, a trait of the media which allows to portrait things that may not even be true.

BUT i am in no way trying to protect DJ's i just want to look at the WHOLE picture which is VERY important.

Thanks.

acn010
January 20th, 2007, 00:36
to tell the truth t, they risked it and went for it, but as the contestant signed releases, its their problem, but, meh. they knew what there doing, and warned.
so HANG THEM!!

kittenluvermeowz
January 20th, 2007, 06:01
They signed a waver so, lets face it if the radio station gets sued, and loses america is weird.

Adrenalin
January 20th, 2007, 07:56
They signed a waver so, lets face it if the radio station gets sued, and loses america is weird.

america is already weird (or say messed up). still a good place tho.

yeah i agree with the most posters who are saying its sad, but also stupid on both the DJ's and womans part. moreso the womans if she knew the risks.

zephyr7
January 20th, 2007, 13:22
If I was to feel bad for anyone, it would be the family of the woman. But I certainly do not feel bad for the woman herself, nor do i think that the radio station is to be blamed. It was indeed the woman who decided she would go drink all that water. If you decide to put your hand into fire you're ready to accept the consequences, no? There's no way her body would not have told her to stop. IMO You can't blame the people from the radio station for the womans stupidity.

bullhead
January 20th, 2007, 15:26
Is it wrong that I don't care? Are you guys all really that distraught? Im not trying to be a smart ass, I think im safe enough to voice my opinion to those of you who know me after a year.

Im just saying, I feel nothing for the woman who died. I am have become very desencitised over the years, so I am indifferent to death and its repercussions.

Am I heartless? Ill make this clear, I am just speaking my mind, so keep an open mind and discuss with me...
I know I am speaking quite bluntly, but bear with me...

bull, x.