PDA

View Full Version : Will You Install a Modchip in Your Wii Console

wraggster
January 21st, 2007, 15:59
As we have already posted 2 or more firms are making Modchips for the Wii and theres a rumour that one is already at production stage.

Now for me installing a modchip in my Wii to play homebrew etc is a bridge too far for me, one because i cant solder and 2 because im too scared to stuff it up.

But if its the only way will you be tempted to install a modchip in your Wii.

ill be interested to see what the verdict is on this via comments.

djkus
January 21st, 2007, 16:04
yeah, id totally put one in... being an electronics technician.. it wouldnt be too hard.
thing is.. when i had an xbox and only 3 games.. i played them to death, and had fun...
once i put in a 160gb hard drive and like 50 games+ i got bored very quick.

how many people would really give wii sports the playing its getting if u had 1000 other games to quickly go through?

it may be good if a mod chip comes out.. but on the down side it will probably make u bored of it very quick

Kramer
January 21st, 2007, 16:04
All I have to do is walk down the road and visit the modchip shop and get them to install it, so yeah I'll get one when it comes out.

But im hoping for a software exploit because modchips are really expensive.

it may be good if a mod chip comes out.. but on the down side it will probably make u bored of it very quick

That's only if you pirate games.

But I know what your talking about, when you have endless games you never seem to play one for long enough to enjoy it.

dejkirkby
January 21st, 2007, 16:06
I personally would prefer a software exploit rather than a hardware mod. At least until the warranty expires.

curt_grymala
January 21st, 2007, 16:14
Not a chance. I don't mod any of my consoles for fear of what I might end up doing.

I'm perfectly happy with any of my consoles the way they come.

ICEM4N
January 21st, 2007, 16:44
There are shops where you can buy modded consoles or take your one to add the chip.

I have no wii, i'll buy one (with the modchip) when the devkit for homebrew releases. I get fun with games, but i get a lot more with my own ones and doing them.

shadowprophet
January 21st, 2007, 16:45
I tend to agree with everyone else on this. My wii is my baby.
Im on it right now in fact.
To expect me to open it up and perform surgery!! on my baby!! no way they'er crazy!!!

drquack02
January 21st, 2007, 16:57
I would mod mine, but I would wait a couple weeks to see if the dust settles...

Honestly there will be a softmod...its bound to happen with the SD card slot, its only a matter of time.

I would recommend that everyone be on the lookout for cheap 2-4GB cards, and get ready.

If soddering was the only way to play blocked homebrew and backups of my games then I would do it.

Also I agree with the 3 games vs. 100....Once a stuck a hard drive in my PS2 my attention span for games has gone wayyyy down.

Usually if there is an intro tutorial for a game I don't make it through it.

Cap'n 1time
January 21st, 2007, 17:12
Soft mod or nothing for me.

Mark30001
January 21st, 2007, 17:16
Unfortunately the Wii currently supports SD cards with a capacity up to 2GB, however, a future firmware update may resolve that issue.

MikeDX
January 21st, 2007, 17:19
If a modchip comes out, I'll be first in line. Except if it is as expensive and hard to install as the psp modchip.

mastersho
January 21st, 2007, 17:35
You don't need to mod the Wii do you? You can use this http://us.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&p=23&i=9064&s=8
Also there was talk of some kind of exploit using the Wii's web brower.

SSaxdude
January 21st, 2007, 17:42
Maybe solderless, but I'm hoping for an exploit (photo channel I'm looking at you.)

SwordOfZork
January 21st, 2007, 18:59
I'd like a softmod, but if they discover a way to burn workable copies of Wii games, then I think I'll try to install a modchip.

philr359
January 21st, 2007, 21:33
Hell no, I killed my ps2 doing that
Softmods only! And preferably just a firmware hack or something

devmas
January 21st, 2007, 21:53
If I had money, I would go down to Chinatown and go to a very good mod store and import store, and get it modded there.

However, if a system is softmodded, then you'll usually have a whole lot more homebrew on that system, because it is so easy to softmod.

This is why there are so many PSP homebrews and very few other homebrews I believe.

slappy1
January 21st, 2007, 23:50
If the modchip enables easy n64 emulation, similar to the virtual console, I'll definetely get one.

imagine the first n64 emulator with 100% compatibility. I'm all over that.

Dbgtgoten
January 22nd, 2007, 01:04
i guess if they bring out a modchip that can play homebrew/emulators/backup copys of my wii games or somethign like that i would find a mod store and see if they could do as i would be too nervous to take it apart XD

VampDude
January 22nd, 2007, 01:42
why are people talking of playing Wii backups??? IDIOTS!

all I would like to see from the modchip is the abillity to play imports and play DVDR's full of emulators, and yeah I would get one!

SwordOfZork
January 22nd, 2007, 05:23
why are people talking of playing Wii backups??? IDIOTS!

all I would like to see from the modchip is the abillity to play imports and play DVDR's full of emulators, and yeah I would get one!

...because thats one of the purposes of a modchip, if not the MAIN purpose?

Seriously, keep the flames to yourself. No one is verbally attacking you.

gunntims0103
January 22nd, 2007, 05:27
well i just got my wii, i won't be doing mod chips at all.

Il wait to see if any good exploits come out for the wii.

bandit
January 22nd, 2007, 06:31
If there is indeed a modchip in the works, I'll be making a list or installers/resellers just like I did for the UP chip for the PSP.

geise69
January 23rd, 2007, 14:10
I'll pass. I don't really play homebrew games on my psp or gp2x, and I doubt I will for my Wii either. I just use homebrew for emulators. So I will not get a mod chip installed. I might mess with the GC emulators of snes, and mame on my Wii using the Action Replay method but that's it. Plus I have my one computer hooked up to the tv through s-video, so I am already playing mame, snes, and others on my tv with near perfect emulation. My Wii is staying mod free. It's too precious to mess up. Plus I don't want to have to ship it anywhere to get it done. There's too many things that can to wrong.

masterpaul
January 23rd, 2007, 15:28
NEVER... I would never install a chip to my wii.