PDA

View Full Version : Will Sony Crackdown on PSP Hacks?

leggy
April 8th, 2005, 11:10
Less than two weeks after Sony released its long-anticipated PlayStation Portable, a handheld gaming device with multimedia capabilities, the device's most ardent fans began spreading details about their successful hacks.....

http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/04/wo/wo_040805hellweg.asp

aseddon130
April 8th, 2005, 15:13
if anything Sony should embrace it, being able to do lots of extra stuff with the PSP (besides gaming and MP3/4 Playback) is a good thing, because people would buy it for that, i know a couple of people who have said they would definately buy one if emulators go onto it. Sony should really be happy with what theyve released and let it do very well, and not try to stop people from doing hacks on the PSP. (unless they end up figuring out how to play pirated versions of UMD games, then they should start to worry.)

Corpsical
April 8th, 2005, 18:33
Historically the maker of consoles tend to lose or break even on the hardware and make their money from the software, so I dont think Sony will be too keen (at least until after this initial period) to encourage people to buy the PSP for any other reason than to purchase lots of games and the odd movie or two.

I have to say I was surprised they allowed the console to play MP3's and not just their own ATRAC3 format.

Having said that though , I'm looking forward to seeing what people are able to do with this frankly amazing gadget.

Corpsical

unsungzero
April 8th, 2005, 19:31
No offense to anyone but it seems the whole psp dev scene is pussyfootin' around and not enough is being done.. people mention methods of cracking the encryption, yet nobody is trying it due to it either being illegal or "pissing off sony".

So if you think about it, Sony has nothing to crack down on.. and the wipeout trick isnt exactly a "hack" as such.

As far as homebrew/hacks/mods etc.. goes, I think anything that comes out of that (besides warez), will only increase sales of the psp further as more functions are added to what is already a great multi-media device.

The only thing I see them cracking down on in the future will be warez/other illegal activity.

rmedtx
April 8th, 2005, 20:00
As soon as I can play BOR mods on it I will buy it.

psplover
April 8th, 2005, 23:31
No offense to anyone but it seems the whole psp dev scene is pussyfootin' around and not enough is being done.. people mention methods of cracking the encryption, yet nobody is trying it due to it either being illegal or "pissing off sony".STFU, seriously the psps been out 4 months. It took the ps2 over a year before it had HB going for it actually much longer. You're ****ing complaining cuss nothings happened in this little of time. It will probably take at least a year before anything happens so sit back and keep quite.

Seriously tho I do agree that article was ****ing retarded. One they use the term hacking way to lightly and call everything hacking. These guys don't even seem to understand what hacking is. Also I agree with you that Sony has nothing to crack down on because shit hasnt happened.

unsungzero
April 9th, 2005, 00:13
Wow man calm down and dont tell me to shut the f**k up, It's just my opinion no need to start an arguement, I'm not complaining that nothing has been done yet.. just that alot more COULD be done if people would stop worrying what Sony thinks and just get on with doing what needs to be done..

Unless you are a psp developer yourself, you have no reason to completely scitz out..

..that and everything I said is true.

meloe
April 9th, 2005, 00:54
its only a matter of time before emulators, apps etc become loadable off memory stick. Fair dues its gonna take a while, but you gotta remember its all being done by enthusiasts who arent paid

aseddon130
April 9th, 2005, 01:08
psplovere - u stfu ... really - the PSP has indeed been out for so long but there was never any kind of hacks and stuff were never released - the USA one has been out for 2 week and theyve hacked Wipeout Pure and stuff ... dont blame the hackers, all theyve been doing is waited for it to be released in their country.

unsungzero
April 9th, 2005, 11:39
The point I was trying to make is alot of methods have been discovered but some of them are not being tryed and tested.. the DS (although it may be different) has been hacked to run homebrew code already and that hasnt been out long either, so I guess it jus depends on who is willing to push things to the limit.

Either way I respect devs for their skills and the ammount of their own time they put in to make our consoles become much more than they could be :)