PDA

View Full Version : TomTom imports / MapViewer Navigation

zeyus
January 22nd, 2007, 11:29
Hi everyone, I've recently ordered my GPSlim 236 and all the bits I need to make the cable up.

I just have a couple of questions that I don't think have been entirely addressed yet in the forums.

I would love to beta test this if you need any help with it. I know a bit of C++ and other languages especially web based ones (PHP etc if that's of any use). PSP is currently at 3.03 OE-B. I'm living in the UK but travel around Europe a bit, going to Finland next week (so I'm hoping to get the parts for my PSP before then)

Is it possible to import TomTom maps, (I know you can do it with POIs) , Post Codes and speed cameras (are these POIs?)?

Can you use this as a replacement for a TomTom, eg does it generate directions/routes on the fly, or do you have to generate them first with google/live maps and then import the route?

How much information can you store in the data files and how does this affect performance? (for example, all UK post codes and cameras and other POIs?) -- I will test this myself when I get the equip.

Thanks!

Luke

A Fn NOOB
January 23rd, 2007, 10:53
I saw a torrent for a program called "TomJom", some kind of TomTom map-data extraction software. Looked interesting.

A Fn NOOB
January 23rd, 2007, 11:26
But here's the deal.... What if a million PSP'ers started an "Open Source" mapping "movement" by submitting their maps & data to a central database, thus creating the most comprehensive and up to date mapping database ever? FREE! The rest is graphics and what-not. The sky is the limit!

zeyus
January 25th, 2007, 17:40
But here's the deal.... What if a million PSP'ers started an "Open Source" mapping "movement" by submitting their maps & data to a central database, thus creating the most comprehensive and up to date mapping database ever? FREE! The rest is graphics and what-not. The sky is the limit!

I have no problem creating my own maps, and sharing them for that matter. using that google tool. It looks great. the only thing is, is already been done, and the advantage of tomtom is that they have pretty much every poi etc that you'd want including speed cameras so it seems a bit like double work?