PDA

View Full Version : Bungie dev: "I f**king cannot play Halo 2 multiplayer"

wraggster
January 22nd, 2007, 19:05
Our partners in crime at Edge magazine have internet-ised a splendid feature on their recent visit to Halo developer Bungie, and what stands out the most is technical lead Chris Butcher's comments on his disapointment with Halo 2:

"We had about four to five weeks to polish [the first] Halo at the end. No more than that. And that last five per cent is responsible for 30 per cent of the success of the game, or more," Butcher tells Edge. "The entire game came together within that four- to six-week period.

"One of the things that stuns me when I think about it, and I can't believe this is true - we had none of that for Halo 2. Take that polish period and completely get rid of it. We miscalculated, we screwed up, we came down to the wire and we just lost all of that. So Halo 2 is far less than it could and should be in many ways because of that."

He continues: "It kills me to think of it. Even the multiplayer experience for Halo 2 is a pale shadow of what it could and should have been if we had gotten the timing of our schedule right. It's astounding to me. I ****ing cannot play Halo 2 multiplayer. I cannot do it. And that's why I know Halo 3 is going to be so much better."

Good news then for fans who felt that Halo 2 was a little unpolished compared to the first game - hopefully this means Halo 3's ending won't be as anti-climatic as the Keeley Hazell sex tape.

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=155924)

Cap'n 1time
January 22nd, 2007, 19:18
I agree that halo 2's multi player was just not what was expected. While the game was acceptable, It did not have the same effect on me as the original Halo.

shadowprophet
January 22nd, 2007, 19:40
Ohh sure. Us non halo fans have to suffer though the endless halo worship while hearing the echos of master cheaf this and wart hog that.

And not only that, But when we raise one hand to say hey, maybe halo isnt the greatest thing to ever pop a pixel. halo fans everwhere unite for one large anal phrase in unison. and that is. WHAT YOU DONT KNOW WHAT A GOOD SHOOTER IS! blahh blahh blahh.

And only now the bs and lies come full circle.
Halo sucks, its always sucked. it will never not suck. and even one drunk or high dev has at least bravely come forward to admit he needs rehab from this awfull game someone sold their soul to satain to just to get the grosses up on.. [/rant]

God that felt good.

Im going to revel in this for a while.:cool:

Cap'n 1time
January 22nd, 2007, 20:35
Ohh sure. Us non halo fans have to suffer though the endless halo worship while hearing the echos of master cheaf this and wart hog that.

And not only that, But when we raise one hand to say hey, maybe halo isnt the greatest thing to ever pop a pixel. halo fans everwhere unite for one large anal phrase in unison. and that is. WHAT YOU DONT KNOW WHAT A GOOD SHOOTER IS! blahh blahh blahh.

And only now the bs and lies come full circle.
Halo sucks, its always sucked. it will never not suck. and even one drunk or high dev has at least bravely come forward to admit he needs rehab from this awfull game someone sold their soul to satain to just to get the grosses up on.. [/rant]

God that felt good.

Im going to revel in this for a while.:cool:

I dont believe the dev was saying that it sucked at all. He was suggesting that it was not nearly as polished as they had planned (probably mostly due to the fact that i think the holidays were coming quickly at the time and MS needed a killer app to make the sales). Halo is a well executed FPS and should be treated as such... but if you dont know the Unreal series, then you dont know a proper FPS :D

shadowprophet
January 22nd, 2007, 20:41
I dont believe the dev was saying that it sucked at all. He was suggesting that it was not nearly as polished as they had planned (probably mostly due to the fact that i think the holidays were coming quickly at the time and MS needed a killer app to make the sales). Halo is a well executed FPS and should be treated as such... but if you dont know the Unreal series, then you dont know a proper FPS :D
and my rebuttal would be three simple words,
Halo-fan-boy :rofl:

:rolleyes:

Cap'n 1time
January 22nd, 2007, 21:28
and my rebuttal would be three simple words,
Halo-fan-boy :rofl:

:rolleyes:

no way, if im a fan boy of anything it is the Unreal series. I thought I made that clear in my post :).
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/
Unreal engine puts ALL modern game engines to shame.

shadowprophet
January 22nd, 2007, 21:43
no way, if im a fan boy of anything it is the Unreal series. I thought I made that clear in my post :).
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/
Unreal engine puts ALL modern game engines to shame.

I liked the unreal series, And my problem with halo is complicated, some would even say its unrealistic.
I dont hate the Game halo. What i hate is the Hype halo. If that makes any sence.

To me halo is just an above average fps. Not the end all be all of (all video games) that some people make it out to be. Theres just something about an over hyped game that has been worshiped to the level that the halo series has that is a real turn off for me. It would almost make me feel like a mindless puppet to follow in everyone elses suit and play the halo series. considering its 400 lb gorilla hype marketing it has backing the series.

I do understand that to most people hype wouldnt be a factor in their final decession to enjoy a game.
But oddly. For me. that makes a difference for some reason.