PDA

View Full Version : Keep icarus alive!

Cap'n 1time
August 2nd, 2004, 19:42
http://boob.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard3/ikonboard.cgi?s=410ed8a25cd5ffff;act=ST;f=10;t=272 7

With the release of chankast, lots of people completely forgot icarus, or just dumped the idea. People should remember that icarus has done alot for the dc scene even though it dosnt even have a release yet! Lets show them some support. The forums are like a ghost town. :'(

Eric
August 2nd, 2004, 19:51
I think they have to much of a break either that or there is something in the code thats really hard but i am here to support as i am a person who cant use chankast

Hola
August 2nd, 2004, 20:19
Alot of ircaus code is in chankast.

quzar
August 3rd, 2004, 02:32
Once the Icarus team was told that Chankast was going to be released and were asked to contribute they did because it wasnt really possible anymore to keep DC emulation legal. AFAIK most of Icarus had been pretty much finished a year + ago. What was being worked on since then was the ability to play real games and lockout burned games. This was a major goal because they did not want it to perpetuate warez, but to be a way to play your games once the DC has expired or just as a convienience(sp?).

Chankast spoiled the hopes for a warez free DC emulator.

Hola
August 3rd, 2004, 05:45
Ohh darn i'm sure a warez free emu would of been popular. ::)

Eric
August 3rd, 2004, 07:32
Hola:Alot of ircaus code is in chankast.

Is that true? I never knew that or is this guy telling a lie?

Cap'n 1time
August 3rd, 2004, 08:02
hola might *seem like an ass some times, but i dont think he is one to lie.

Eric
August 3rd, 2004, 08:12
He certainly doesnt always have the correct information either

Cap'n 1time
August 3rd, 2004, 09:00
Well then, we will just have to see what quazar, the king of information says! Like i said before, quazar knows his stuff! ;D

quzar
August 3rd, 2004, 11:22
If you read my post it says that it uses parts from Icarus.

Ohh darn i'm sure a warez free emu would of been popular. *::)

Oh yea, and that of course is the overriding goal of all this popularity. Damn, I forgot about the popularity contest going on... where do I rank? Man I better release something that people will really love fast or else I have no purpose.

That ordering of priorities is why I dislike chankast.

Hola
August 3rd, 2004, 12:01
Chankast and Iracus was a popularity contest and once Iracus helped Chankast they lost there edge because they didnt even know Chankast would release something so quick.
The last build of Iracus was still alot better than Chankast is right now but I doubt we see a public release because they never got the only GD roms support working. Ohh and to Eric when am I ever wrong?

quzar
August 3rd, 2004, 13:30
Chankast and Iracus was a popularity contest and once Iracus helped Chankast they lost there edge because they didnt even know Chankast would release something so quick.

Still proving my point about misplaced priorities.

The last build of Iracus was still alot better than Chankast is right now but I doubt we see a public release because they never got the only GD roms support working.

Not to say that probably isnt true, but you have absolutely no way to know that.

Hola
August 3rd, 2004, 14:03
Ohh another thing I forgot to mention.
Chankast main reason for being able to do so much at the start was the part it used from iracus was the video plugin which they recoded to asm supposedly and the audio plugin also.

I wish they'd rethink there Controller setup as its rubish and I always use the chankast hacks just because Chankast has a really bad menu and setup.

Darksaviour69
August 3rd, 2004, 14:53
Icarus was/is more of a simulator than a emulator, but it ran very slowly (the videos were speeded up), but ector was working on a dynarec to speed it up but he left to work on a well known GC emu.

Felix was working on the GB Rom stuff and the dynarec (i think)

at the mo i don't whats going on ...

BTW it really annoys me when people call that icarus a fake! cyrus's real name is in the credits of FOF , his work with icarus helped dan with KOS.

also who remembers when icarus was called boobcast!
;D

Hola
August 3rd, 2004, 15:09
The point isnt that people believe its fake the point is its pointless not to release it anymore.

Cap'n 1time
August 3rd, 2004, 15:33
It is never pointless to release something that will make software history. There is no competition involved at all. Just because two emulators co-exist dosnt mean that they compete - snes9x and zsnes. Both of them work well, and both of them helped each other to make snes emulation almost perfect.

If it is a competition its from morons that say "my software is better than yours, even though i havnt even seen yours yet!" If they do figure out the gdrom then the emulator wont be as popular, however the people will be respected and alot information of the dreamcast that has yet to be discovered will probably be unvailed. Think about it, Icarus has done more for the dc scene without a release then Chankast has with its release.

Hola
August 3rd, 2004, 15:53
The Zsnes and Snes9x example is true now but before Zsnes was open source they where huge rivals.

And Chankast wasnt ment for the DC scene if you didnt know that already. Its for the PC emulation scene.

Cap'n 1time
August 3rd, 2004, 17:03
The Zsnes and Snes9x example is true now but before Zsnes was open source they where huge rivals.

And Chankast wasnt ment for the DC scene if you didnt know that already. Its for the PC emulation scene.

Yes, and a Dreamcast emulator wouldnt be usefull for the DC scene at all would it? god damn, it seems like you try to make useless statments to start arguments.

Zsnes and Snes9x were never rivals, the morons that used the emulators who claimed "my software is better than yours" were rivals. thank you for confirming one of my past statments. I remember when i was on their forum way way way back - before the c4 chip was emulated (and way before the zsnes source release). At that time they were sharing quite a bit of information with each other. If they were rivals, they sure were friendly about it.

You sparked one thought in my head though... If only gd-roms are emulated... how will we be able to run homebrews? DUN DUN DUN*

Hola
August 3rd, 2004, 17:47
Thats funny how you say where werent rivals when they clearly use to not share code or help each other for a reason. After they both got to be really good and each team couldnt figure out things they started trading code to improve emulation and speed up the process of snes emulation.

And Chankast wasnt meant to be usefull it was meant to play DC games on your pc not for any devolopement or debugging. In the future they will try to support however.

quzar
August 3rd, 2004, 23:40
the reason it wasnt meant to be used for development and debugging is because it cant. it dosnt emulate things fully. Untill it is reworked to a high degree it will be of relatively little use for development, other than plain ol' running things on it.

Eric
August 4th, 2004, 06:48
Okay Hola i dont really care what you have to say anyways right or wrong the thing that matters is if you think your right. dont pay attention to what i have to say. I am morely here to see new things entering the homebrew scene and always give out my review.

To quote on quzar saying he should release something fast well man i suggest the Dos Emu only cause i think basically we got older people buying the dreamcast or anyone who just basically loves playing old games. The Dos Emu would be just the thing to do that i believe.

But we will see

Eric

Cap'n 1time
August 4th, 2004, 07:58
You in fact are correct about the Zsnes and Snes9x rivalry.

Just keep the icarus idea alive. The more excitement around the idea, the more likely we will see a release sooner or later.

Yah and no one showed excitement two years ago when the project was annouced. - I will save hola the time of posting this.

Eric
August 4th, 2004, 08:14
I think people should think more about Icarus cause of the G-ROM feature cause Chankasts illegal activity what i mean by that is people will just download rom images that are compatible with Chankast.

Again Icarus would be the best thing that would ever come to emulation and i am sorry to say this would be better cause it would be more legal. Chankast did do good work but as for bios downloads and .cdi downloads brings a lot of illegal activity.

Eric

Hola
August 4th, 2004, 10:56
Yes iracus research is very valuable and it would be extremly great to release documentation to the emulator and there ressearch on DC regradless if Iracus comes out or not. I think thats something we could all agree on. And GD rom drivers would be extremly nice.

Darksaviour69
August 4th, 2004, 12:32
as i said Icarus is more of a simulator than a emulator, so it would be very good for homebrew dev. cyrus had dc port of doom running in icarus

quzar
August 4th, 2004, 19:07
To quote on quzar saying he should release something fast well man i suggest the Dos Emu only cause i think basically we got older people buying the dreamcast or anyone who just basically loves playing old games. *The Dos Emu would be just the thing to do that i believe. *

But we will see

Eric

In case I havnt said this enough times in the thread for it, it IS fullspeed but even the PC version only officially plays like... 6 games. I think now the PC developer may start working on it again, because he said he only stopped due to lack of interest, but if he dosnt then all i can do is try to get it up to the functionality of the PC version, which is around 10 or so games running (supported or not).

Eric
August 5th, 2004, 08:03
Whoa dude didnt mean to pee you off but still that would be amazing and i hope that the original creator can do more with it and i hope that it will work with the DC.

Eric

Mental2k
August 16th, 2004, 12:55
Eric, dont push the developers, as you are so keen to remind us all the time, you dont know shit about DC codin (neither do I but hey, i dont moan), so dont ask them to hurry up. They do this in their spare time, for free. So let them get on at their own pace.

Cap'n 1time
August 16th, 2004, 16:41
Eric, dont push the developers, as you are so keen to remind us all the time, you dont know shit about DC codin (neither do I but hey, i dont moan), so dont ask them to hurry up. They do this in their spare time, for free. So let them get on at their own pace.

THANKS FOR REVIVING A DEAD POST AND ATTEMPTING TO START AN ARGUMENT!!! >:(

quzar
August 16th, 2004, 23:22
THANKS FOR REVIVING A DEAD POST AND ATTEMPTING TO START AN ARGUMENT!!! *>:(

wow, i didnt even notice that he was talking about me when he said developers. yea dude chill, eric apologized and all, no hard feelings and all.

Mental2k
August 19th, 2004, 11:54
sorry