PDA

View Full Version : A current look at the most well-designed game consoles

wraggster
January 23rd, 2007, 20:32
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/23/a-current-look-at-the-most-well-designed-game-consoles/)

There are plenty of fugly consoles out there, so which are the most aesthetically pleasing? Opposable Thumbs pipes in with their take on the best use of exterior design for game consoles. From the article: "The 360 design bores me, the PS3 looks like a grill, the SNES was boxy and ugly, the DS looked like makeup, and the DS Lite looks like more expensive makeup. The GameCube? It's a purple purse, for the love of Gygax!" The op-ed piece dubs the PS2 Mini, GBA SP, and Wii as the most awesomely designed platforms to date. Mmmm... the clamshell was most awesome. So put on a black T-Shirt and tell us which console you think has the best looking and most functional hardware.

More Info (http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/1/22/6706)

iniquitous_beast
January 23rd, 2007, 21:05
what about the good old Dreamcast? Soft, cream-white and gray, along with gentle curves and angles. Most important, however, was its reasonably small footprint.

gunntims0103
January 23rd, 2007, 21:10
The Wii, nice and sleek! :D

kyler24x
January 23rd, 2007, 21:24
i've heard people say the psp is boring but i actually think is one of the sleekest consoles i've seen. sure the shiny finish attracts fingerprints but when it s clean it sure does look fancy smancy

Junixx
January 23rd, 2007, 21:33
I would say the DS Lite, PSP, and Wii :thumbup:

Shrygue
January 23rd, 2007, 21:37
The PSP, especially the white one as fingerprints doesn't show too much than black (except on the screen).

jonezybaby
January 23rd, 2007, 21:48
wonder wat the blue psp is like with fingerprints and all?

kit786
January 23rd, 2007, 22:21
I'd say the Dreamcast

Paiku
January 23rd, 2007, 22:58
I think the sega neptune would've gotten my vote if it ever were released.

I say psp as I haven't experienced the wii yet.

psp411
January 23rd, 2007, 23:58
I would say the DS Lite, PSP, and Wii :thumbup:

exactly wut im sayin.... dont c anythin betta den dat:D :cool:

Amethyst
January 24th, 2007, 09:12
...the DS looked like makeup, and the DS Lite looks like more expensive makeup. The op-ed piece dubs the... GBA SP... as the most awesomely designed platforms to date.

If anything looks like a make-up compact it is the GBA SP. The damn thing is the perfect shape and size (except for the thickness).

By the way, the guy says he LOVES (he used capitals) the PSP but doesn't give it a trophy because it looks too expensive. I agree, it does look expensive, but it's nice looking. Unfortunately, as the original Gameboys have proven, an open face design is horrible for a portable gaming system. Scratches galore. If the PSP had a standard screen protector (no accessory crap) I would give it a vote.

My vote goes to:

DS Lite: Not only sleek and sexy but its fluent clamshell design protects the valuable screens. You can't play VIDEO games with dozens of scratches. The convenient location of the stylus makes for quick access so you don't have to have it always at hand. The only flaw is the GBA slot. Would it of killed Nintendo to crunch and spread the internals to make the GBA cartridge fit in completely. Not only does it look flimsy with a third of the game sticking out but it IS flimsy. If I accidentally apply pressure to the side of the cartridge while playing a GBA game, I can cause it to freeze.

PS2 Slim: All the power of the first version but a third of the size. It's book sized design allows for easy transport. The only downside is its fragile design. One fall from hip's height causes the heart to stop. I guess the lack of emergency shut off switch is also bad, but not too much.

Wii: I have yet to play it, but the design is very elegant, very portable, and looks very sturdy. Like the DS, the system looks sterile yet attractive. Unlike the PS3 and 360 which look like serious business, the Wii looks user friendly and fun.

lumisi
January 24th, 2007, 17:38
I will have to go with the Sega CDX.

FrostyTheSnowman
January 24th, 2007, 18:55
Contrary to this article, I think the XBOX 360 is actually very pretty. However, I would have to say that the Wii and the PSP (Black) are the best looking game systems to date. (The PS3 design however, is just straight-up nasty...)

Christuserloeser
January 24th, 2007, 23:17
Dreamcast here.

Wii 2nd - a really fine looking thing that is!

3rd would be the MegaDrive, not the Japanese original nor the US Genesis - I mean the European version. It was love on 1st sight.

Anyway, here's a pic of a EU Dreamcast that Skyhawk made for DCEvo (click for full size):

http://www.dcevolution.net/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10004/thumb_Dreamcast%7E0.jpg (http://www.dcevolution.net/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10004/Dreamcast%7E0.jpg)

I will have to go with the Sega CDX.

Nice choice.

Yobumtin
January 25th, 2007, 01:48
I don't care if the original Nes was a box! Whenever I look at it makes me want to sing and dance in a fleet of joy.

ShinSean
January 25th, 2007, 17:24
check it, He's getting better . .

http://www.benheck.com

nomi
January 25th, 2007, 18:06
PSP and PS3.... i dun like the ds designs...