PDA

View Full Version : PSP2600: Atari 2600 emulator for PSP v1.0.2

zx-81
January 23rd, 2007, 21:17
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/images/psp2600-snap-2.jpg

Hi All,

For those who has missed the beginning, Stella is on of the best emulator of Atari 2600 game console,
running on many different systems, such as Linux, Solaris, Windows, MacOS/X, WinCE, OS/2, GP2X.

It has been written initially by Bradford Mott, see Stella's site (http://stella.sourceforge.net) for details.

PSP2600 is a port on PSP of the version v2.2 of Stella. It's based on the work of * Aenea *
who was the first to port Stella to PSP, and David Voswinkel who's now in charge
of the PSP port in Stella team.

What's new in this version ?

- Merge the code from Stella v2.2 (replacing Stella v2.0 b1)
- Add several Anti-Flicker modes such as :
Phosphor (from Stella v2.2), nice but CPU consuming
Simple, very fast and suitable for black background games
Average, it computes average colors between two frames
- Add paddle support, using Left / Right keys or analog Pad
- Fix the sound speed/accuracy (For a better quality, set the
PSP clock to 333Mhz in the settings menu)
- Bug fix in Rom file requester
PSP hangs when the rom list was big and already sorted
- Remove Gelon's name from graphics stuff (as he wants to)
- Add * Aenea * as the author of the first PSP port (i'm sorry for this mistake !)

t has been developped on linux for Firmware 1.5 and i hope it works also for 2.x
using the great eloader (0.99x) from http://www.noobz.eu/.

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

Sources are included, and this package is under the GNU public license,
read COPYING.txt file for more information about it.

Enjoy, :thumbup:

Zx.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

splodger15
January 23rd, 2007, 21:24
Great Work zx-81

Keep it up

Illegal Machine
January 23rd, 2007, 22:41
I really don't understand WHY you're doing this...

Aenae's port has been around for a year or so, and never needed an update... and works perfectly

so why precicely are you re-doing it with all the new glitches???

when I put it on fullscreen mode it looks like the screen needs to be slid to the RIGHT by about an inch.... Im getting a little of the left side of the screen on the right side.

I guess it could look and sound a little better than the original if it gets optimized a little more..

Keep up the releases, and I'll make the switch.... Ive been wanting to get that STELLA folder off the root of my MS for quite some time I must admit.

classicgmr
January 23rd, 2007, 23:02
Wow the sound is a lot better than it was in the first release. Sounds like an Atari should!

I now have all 524 roms in one directory and the program lists them all immediately.

Works great on 3.03 OE-B(in the GAME150 directory).

I really like what you're doing with this ZX(as if you hadn't read that already)!! :)

carpy
January 23rd, 2007, 23:07

Aenae's port has been around for a year or so, and never needed an update... and works perfectly

so why precicely are you re-doing it with all the new glitches???.

Because aenea's port was far from perfect, had NO options at all, had terrible flickering problems on some games, and basically hasn't been touched in over a year.

Aenea's port was a nice effort, but was lacking most of the features and extras every other emulator has.

The_It
January 23rd, 2007, 23:44
Yay for paddle support!!!

The_It
January 23rd, 2007, 23:46
by the way, I have never seen a dot on any atari 2600 game that was 1 pixel by one pixel. they always seem to be 1X2, like a rectangle. is the system incapable of making a square smaller than 2X2 pixels?

The_It
January 23rd, 2007, 23:57
paddle doesn't work with Warp Lock

madcupid
January 24th, 2007, 01:07
how do you enter full screen mode??? anybody
??? thanks in advance

Poem58
January 24th, 2007, 02:01
Can't wait to try this release...thanks so much ZX for doing this!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

zx-81
January 24th, 2007, 07:57

Two is better than one, anyway it seems you prefer Aenae's one, so you should just don't care about my version ;). Some others prefer mine, that's life, everybody should be happy now :D

But you're right on one point, it's not really kind to do another port of an emulator that already works fine.

This was the first time and the last time i do this, and as a conclusion this is the final release ... I won't touch anymore to this port ... (only if bugs are found)

zx-81
January 24th, 2007, 08:07
how do you enter full screen mode??? anybody
??? thanks in advance

In the settings menu, choose render mode "Max" ;)

OopFjord
January 24th, 2007, 13:34
This is excellent,, Nicely done ZX

Poem58
January 24th, 2007, 14:41
But you're right on one point, it's not really kind to do another port of an emulator that already works fine.

First off...it didn't work fine...no paddle support...games flickered too...sound was off...games looked darker...roms in root...etc....

And although this Aenae's work was appreciated..it was incomplete and abandoned (last update was September 8th 2005....I think it means no ones gonna work on it anymore...duhhh).

There are many emu's out there with more than one version (just take a look at the left side of the freaking news page) So to try to make something out of it when it was REQUESTED of ZX to step in and give us a fully functional emulator is retarded.

I don't see people bashing people for other emu's that are done when people abandon their efforts...besides alot of them finish what the first person started and ZX started from scratch.

If no one was to make another emu....you'd have 1 emu for each system right now...guess what ....yep thats right...most of your favorites wouldn't work right now...cause some would not have finished or made a better one.......

ZX I was at the forefront of asking you to do this emulator.....Don't listen to one person who's obviously never owned an Atari to think that emu worked properly...

Those of us who have thank you, for reviving the Atari 2600 for PSP Idea...and actually seeing through to the end instead of abandoning it...

now If you don't mind...since the first version blew me away...time to have a memory seizure with version 2!

And once again THANK YOU ZX!!!

zx-81
January 24th, 2007, 14:47
@Poem58: Thanks for your kind comment, and you're rigth, even Aenea told me to continue further on this project ... So Illegal M., i'm sorry if you don't like this port, i will continue for other Atari's fans ;)

There are some little bugs that appear in full screen mode, the paddle doesn't work for all games, so i will work to fix those bugs.

:)

Poem58
January 24th, 2007, 14:49
And one more thing ZX...you said it was the last time you do this...well I hope if you have the desire and capability to do something better than someone else you don't hide it cause one person gets mad....

That's what drives the creativity and quality of the homebrew and emulation scenes...

(never seen only one emu for anything) Even homebrew seemes to compete against who can be more creative and better designed.

Besides this is the first person I have seen who complained about the OPTION for a DIFFERENT or BETTER, FREE product.....

He should have thanked you for your efforts, told you he liked the other better though...maybe told you why...or just not said anything....

zx-81
January 24th, 2007, 15:43
@Poem58: I do agree :)

Poem58
January 24th, 2007, 16:08
Zx....I darn near cried just now (just an expression of joy)....I have tried lots of emulation for Atari 2600 including for Pocket PC....

I just left it in Phosphor mode for everything...
All my favorites...looking wonderful...finally sounding as I remember them as a kid....all in the palm of my hand...

I cannot thank you enough! Many hours will be spent recapturing moments from my youth...I will try to see If I can play missle command or Asteroids so long I fall asleep....good times....good times....

The only "bug" I can find at least for me is I still cannot seem to get the Digital pad to work...it works in menu's and when swapped it just starts to work for half a second then quits and I have to use analog....
As far as I'm concerned...if the digital controls work for me then this emu is perfect and complete!
The paddle support is wonderful...still will never be able to play Kaboom! without real paddles well of course...

Once again...you have made my PSP even more of a treasure....there will never be a commercial title I will give up the ability to play 2600 and Turbografx none ever ever ever.....

zx-81
January 24th, 2007, 19:34
paddle doesn't work with Warp Lock

It doesn't work even with the original Stella v2.2 :(

zx-81
January 24th, 2007, 19:37
The only "bug" I can find at least for me is I still cannot seem to get the Digital pad to work...it works in menu's and when swapped it just starts to work for half a second then quits and I have to use analog....

I've found and fixed the bug in the render mode Max and X1.25. About the Joypad and digital pad, the problem is that we can't have the same key mapped on the digital pad and the joypad. Unfortunatelly i've put the sames keys in default keyboard settings :o :o :o

In the next version, i will map different keys for d-pad and analog pad. But for this version, to overcome the problem, you just have to specify differents from d-pad and analog pad, and save the keyboard file as default.kbd in the kbd folder.

carpy
January 24th, 2007, 19:39
To fix the d-pad not working - edit the keyboard settings. by default, they were set to the same joystick setting for both the analog and the d-pad. just choose "none" for the analog pad.

zx-81
January 24th, 2007, 19:56
To fix the d-pad not working - edit the keyboard settings. by default, they were set to the same joystick setting for both the analog and the d-pad. just choose "none" for the analog pad.

yes, that's it :)

madcupid
January 24th, 2007, 21:30
man, what the hell is this Machine guy talkin about...im sorry dude but you must be outta your mind to even think of complaining about something that, in my opinion, looks better than any other atari emulator out there (and bugs, they get fixed, its just a matter of time;and ZX'z time too, that hes putting into this great work that we are ALL getting for free). so quit the yapping and buy a ATARI instead then or whatever...ZX please dogg, dont listen to these cats who dont know a thing about homebrew and never even owned an ATARI (like Poem said). And with your knowledge ZX, you could even make that ATARI Jaguar emulator better too.

zx-81
January 24th, 2007, 21:44
man, what the hell is this Machine guy talkin about...im sorry dude but you must be outta your mind to even think of complaining about something that, in my opinion, looks better than any other atari emulator out there (and bugs, they get fixed, its just a matter of time;and ZX'z time too, that hes putting into this great work that we are ALL getting for free). so quit the yapping and buy a ATARI instead then or whatever...ZX please dogg, dont listen to these cats who dont know a thing about homebrew and never even owned an ATARI (like Poem said). And with your knowledge ZX, you could even make that ATARI Jaguar emulator better too.

Thanks :). A final version is available, that fix several bugs, such as the fit render mode etc ...

There are still games that can't be played using this emulator, but those games doesn't work either with the original Stella 2.2 ...