PDA

View Full Version : GPS Receiver (Japan) Review

wraggster
January 23rd, 2007, 22:39
via Gamebrink (http://www.gamebrink.com/playstation-portable/2163-GPS_Receiver-reviews-2.html)

So is it really worth the $69.95 to import this thing? To put it simply, only get it if you live in Japan or have a homebrew capable PSP. Even then the Map This! software isn’t nearly as user friendly or complete as Maplus so it’s probably a better option to just buy a phone or some other piece of hardware with a GPS and mapping software. Then again after looking up what other GPS devices the homebrew supports on eBay, it’s actually not worth it at all. You can get a Holux GPSlim236 for a whopping $9.99 when I searched so unless you live in Japan or really want a Sony themed GPS then skip this until it’s released in your region with the appropriate software.

Import Friendly?

Nope, there is no software for outside Japan.

Pros
Works
Looks sleek
Cons
Expensive
No software for outside Japan
Homebrew option costs $9.99

NyghtcrawleR
January 23rd, 2007, 23:05
You can get a Holux GPSlim236 for a whopping $9.99 when I searched so unless you live in Japan or really want a Sony themed GPS then skip this until it’s released in your region with the appropriate software.

Homebrew option costs $9.99
Thing is that you may have seen it on ebay for $10 at the moment but they sell well over that for the final bids...So its not really any cheaper than buying the psp gps actually.

Baboon
January 23rd, 2007, 23:07
This is something I'll probably purchase when it does hit the UK shores (depending on the price). I'm glad I didnt bother importing it though. :)

dartpsp
January 23rd, 2007, 23:08
Hmmm Deniska says the Homebrew app is used with the 240 ... but now you guys are saying it works with the 236 ????

DKing
January 23rd, 2007, 23:57
Thing is that you may have seen it on ebay for $10 at the moment but they sell well over that for the final bids...So its not really any cheaper than buying the psp gps actually.

Maybe not cheaper but it is a much better receiver as far as sensitivity goes. The only thing the PSP receiver has going for it is easy mounting. Just stick it up top and you're good to go whereas with other receivers you need to put a cable together.

tyranos
January 24th, 2007, 00:18
but then again u can put the cables together in less than 1 min and u re still faster than than with sony coz i heard it takes about 5 min to get started and the gpslim needs less than one minute :)

Psyberjock
January 24th, 2007, 02:43

I agree. This guy's inability to comprehend eBay automatically exempts him from making any further credible comments. His opinion is worthless to me.

Concerning MapThis and the slim236, MapThis can actually support a large variety of portable GPS devices, not only the 240. You simply have to select the right serial settings.

The usb gps is a nice device. It works but is less sensitive than other current generation GPS devices like the slims.

Furthermore, there is software that supports the USB GPS in the States. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is just such a game. While it won't navigate you through your hometown, you can use it to play parts of the game that are only possible with the usb gps device.

Larry
January 24th, 2007, 03:30
its bogus the GPSlim236 isnt anywhere near 10$

its retailing for over 150$
and 170$ was the cheapest i saw. screw that

im just waiting for the US gps release so i can finally stop getting lost everytime i leave the front door.

DKing
January 24th, 2007, 20:06
You get what you pay for. If you don't really have a serious need and don't care about having longer acquisition times and less accuracy then the psp gps would probably suit you just fine.