PDA

View Full Version : Neo Geo CDZ or PC-E Duo-R?

r2works
January 24th, 2007, 07:07
Im cant decide between the two. Im split between games, so that isn't much of a deciding factor. The Neo Geo CDZ is slightly more, and the games are slightly higher. The Duo-R has the Neo flash mod, but CD games are not as regional free.

thoughts...

b8a
January 24th, 2007, 09:24
?? Wait, you're looking into purchasing one of these retro consoles?

The Duo has no CD region restrictions (at least the American version doesn't, come to think of it, I don't deffinitively know about the -R). It's the HuCards that you have to get matched to the system, but there aren't that many great HuCard games anyway. In any case, nearly all of the games that were released in America were released in Japan first, and some of the greatest (Dracula X, Ys IV, etc...) never made it to America, so I wouldn't worry about any possible region restrictions.

These days, the Duo is going to be a "true" retro experience -- 8bit graphics and somewhat quirky games (Strip Fighter II ?!?!!), but at least the loading times are bearable. The CDZ is much more contemporary in terms of library and graphics, but I'm sure you're aware that it's got painful loading times.

Personally, I'd go with the Duo. Virtually all of my best gaming memories are on that system. Almost all of the games available for the CDZ are fighters which are available on more current systems, and most of the games that aren't fighters are pretty much coin-munching arcade games (which, while fun for a while provide little *real* challenge), so I personally don't see much point in getting it. I know you said the games aren't much of a deciding factor, but for my money, the Duo library tends to have a higher replay value.

Just my thoughts. My appologies if I'm missing something...

Apoklepz
January 24th, 2007, 16:26
Yeah, I'd go with the Duo just for the "RARE" factor...CDZ games can be found recently all over the place, even emulated on PSP.

hockey2112
January 24th, 2007, 19:31
Yeah, I'd go with the Duo just for the "RARE" factor...CDZ games can be found recently all over the place, even emulated on PSP.

What is the name of the emulator that would emulate the CDZ games? Is it one of NJ's emu's?

Cheyzak
January 24th, 2007, 19:37
What is the name of the emulator that would emulate the CDZ games? Is it one of NJ's emu's?
Yup, the latest version is full-speed.

r2works
January 26th, 2007, 02:19
thanks for the suggestions.

I think im gonna go with the Duo or Duo-R. The Duo seems to be more difficult to find, but it has no region restrictions. The Duo-R is not as rare, doesnt have the CD lock, and Im not positive on the regional settings but I think it has some restrictions. But as b8a said the best games are JDM (Dracula x! :thumbup:)

quzar
January 27th, 2007, 09:33
The CD system doesn't have region restrictions either. All discs (afaik from my emulator work) are multi region.