PDA

View Full Version : Sony and Namco form new content creation company

wraggster
January 24th, 2007, 15:34
via gibiz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22369)

Sony and Namco Bandai are to further strengthen their relationships by forming a new company, Cellius, to create PS3 games and content for mobile phones and PCs.

The company will be joint owned, with Namco Bandai owning 51 per cent of the venture and Sony owning the other 49 per cent, Bloomberg is reporting.

Cellius will create content based around the technology of the Cell chip, the processor Sony and partners International Business Machines and Toshiba spent 200 billion yen (EUR 1.2bn) developing.

The move highlights Sony's desire to go toe-to-toe with rival Microsoft in the entertainment sector, with both company's setting their sites on content for the digital home.

Namco Bandai has been a strong supporter of Sony since it first entered the home console market, creating some of its best-known franchises including Ridge Racer, Tekken and Ace Combat.

Namco Bandai's Ridge Racer 7 and Mobile Suit Gundam were the highest-selling games for the PlayStation 3 last year.

Shadowblind
March 14th, 2007, 16:32
Which can only mean 1 thing--- the next Klonoa game out will be for PS3. I despise the system now more then ever.

Tree
March 14th, 2007, 16:38
Which can only mean 1 thing--- the next Klonoa game out will be for PS3. I despise the system now more then ever.

y do u despise even more now :confused:

Shadowblind
March 14th, 2007, 16:40
PS3 costs way too much for my family to afford with the other consoles. So I hate that they may be putting a great game on it.

Tree
March 14th, 2007, 16:44
cant u just get it when the prices go down and maybe just get the 20gb one, there go dwn by christmas i think

ElRazur
March 14th, 2007, 17:11
PS3 costs way too much for my family to afford with the other consoles. So I hate that they may be putting a great game on it.

Erm you hate something because you cant afford it? By your logic i should dispise you for not working hard enough to have one because i had mine since january and i live in the UK.

Darksaviour69
March 14th, 2007, 17:14
Erm you hate something because you cant afford it? By your logic i should dispise you for not working hard enough to have one because i had mine since january and i live in the UK.

and Sony hates you because you imported your console (see lik-sang)..... a nice little hate circle ;)

Tree
March 14th, 2007, 17:19
lmao :P yeah but i cant see how you can hate it because you cant buy it YET, plus im gettin one because i saved for it

Shadowblind
March 14th, 2007, 17:26
Im fine with people hating me for ignorant reasons. I also hate the PS3 because of how many stolen ideas went into it. To list only 3:

Wii: Motion sensor
360: Middle Button
Achievements

I also hate Sony more then it because of its PRICE, not exactly that I can't buy it.

Tree
March 14th, 2007, 17:51
ok one ... the WIIs motion sensor controler is way differnt to the PS3s ... do you see people jumping around with a PS3
two ... who cares if they stole 1 lil button from XBOX360 it anit a big deal + think about it ... the PSP has a home button ... and the PS3 has the same home thing as PSP ... so it wasnt stolen

Shadowblind
March 14th, 2007, 18:01
Frankly I dont care WHAT they stole, the fact that they stole a major game consoles idea is all that matters to me.

And they dont even have the censor working yet, so no, they dont jump around.

Tree
March 15th, 2007, 16:12
Frankly I dont care WHAT they stole, the fact that they stole a major game consoles idea is all that matters to me.

And they dont even have the censor working yet, so no, they dont jump around.

what major console idea?

Uchuu
March 15th, 2007, 19:08
I look at it as not really "stealing" ideas, but more like borrowing or so. All 3 companies do the same thing.

I believe that originally going online was a Dreamcast idea (could've been an earlier console, inform me if it was please). Later MS and Sony took that idea and made it their own. MS did it in a better way with Live though. Now Sony has realized that and wanted to give their consumers something that they would like with PS HOME(or at least more so than the PS2 online structure). Nintendo is now going online too with the Wii Online stuff.

Then theres motion controls. I believe MS was one of the first companies to try that on a controller (think it was for the PC though). They didn't like it so they didn't give it to the 360. Sony just thought that was an intriging idea, so they followed it. So did Nintendo, but they wanted to make it work in a totally new way, and they did it with the Wii-mote and nunchuck.

Then theres the trigger buttons. The single set (one left and one right) started with the SNES/Super Famicom. Ever since then everyone has had at least 1 set of trigger buttons.

But the dual set of triggers started with the PS1. At the time everyone thought it was too complicated for gamers so they ignored it. Later though, other console developers caught onto it.

The GC had 3 buttons (2 left and 1 right) and many Nintendo fans thought that was a great idea, and then the 360 made their controllers have 2 sets of triggers as well (most 360 fans believe its the best controller ever).

So yea, I think sharing. Main because the word "stealing" makes it too negative and thinking liek that would make me fanboy-like. Which I'm not, since i'm a proud owner of all 3 "next-gen" consoles.

jonezybaby
March 15th, 2007, 20:26
I look at it as not really "stealing" ideas, but more like borrowing or so. All 3 companies do the same thing.

i agree, sumwere down the line MS or nintendos sales could drop and they'll look at wat the PS3 does to get sales and "borrow" the idea, and vice versa..........