PDA

View Full Version : PS3 1.5 firmware update clears up backwards compatibility, implements other changes

wraggster
January 24th, 2007, 19:09
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/24/ps3-1-5-firmware-update-clears-up-backwards-compatibility-issues/)

While the complete change log of the latest PlayStation 3 update (v1.50) is still conspicuously absent from public eye, it's been widely reported that Sony has corrected the fugly resolution issues that plagued PS1 and PS2 titles (those not originally coded for 480p output) when played on the new rig. That's right, no more (unprecedented) artifacts and jaggies. Huzzah!

Note: the fix does not upscale the original resolutions of PS1 or PS2 games.

Update: PS3 Fanboy has posted a list of additional changes implemented by the update:

A personal image/photo can now be used with a user ID

Edy support added

'Operation Sound' added to sound settings

'Delete Backup Data' added to backup utilities

WEP128, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK(AES) can now utilize AOSS

Login password can be saved without setting the system to log in automatically

Korean keyboard setting now available

briyan
January 24th, 2007, 20:37
PSP all over again..

SuperNovaBova
January 24th, 2007, 21:05
Downloading now... I'll report on FFX as soon as it finishes.

Edit: FFX is back! It looks great again!!! :thumbup:

jerrt
January 24th, 2007, 21:29
"operation sound"? well, i'm going to hold off on updating for a little bit, someone please explain this.

SuperNovaBova
January 24th, 2007, 21:49
"operation sound"? well, i'm going to hold off on updating for a little bit, someone please explain this.

There is no "operation sound" option. I think they are refering to the keytone on and off option.

Hope that helps.

VFerg
January 24th, 2007, 23:31
Oh okay I was wondering what operation sound was as well. Can't wait to get home and try it out. Are they preventing you from playing online or going online until you upgrade like the last one? That would suck a lot if they force you to upgrade this way everytime cause if there ever is a hack later on they can easily get a patch out and I for one will probably install the patch since I really love the online gaming, unlike PSP were I could care less.

F9zDark
January 25th, 2007, 03:50
Well I really see no reason not to update. PS3 is only going to get better with updates. Besides Sony has mentioned a few times that they are supporting a development platform for the PS3, even one exec said about launching user made apps from the XMB.

The fact that Sony allowed homebrew on the PS2 gives me hope that they will do it with the PS3. However, the PS3 is unlike the PSP, in that, the PSP REALLY needed homebrew to keep its fans. I hate to say it, but I would have sold my PSP shortly after getting it if I didn't have homebrew.