PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my non-homebrew PSP?

wraggster
January 24th, 2007, 22:25
Fanjita posted this over at Noobz (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=88888898)

Over and over again, we get questions from people asking things like:

When will there be a 2.81 downgrader?
Should I sell my 3.03 PSP and buy a 1.5?
Should I upgrade my 2.81 to 3.03?

This article is an attempt to provide some balanced answers to those questions.
Here are the facts:

It looks like the Team C+D kernel mode exploit will work all the way up to v3.03 - the relevant code seems to be unchanged.
It's very likely that Sony will patch that exploit in the next firmware.
As soon as a user-mode exploit is found for 2.81-3.03, it should be possible to get homebrew running on those firmwares.
It looks like the current 2.80 downgrader will probably work on v3.03, once we can run homebrew on that firmware.
Dark_AleX's OE firmwares are the best platform for homebrew users, and it seems likely that it will be possible to keep updating OE for the latest firmwares shortly after they are released.
It has historically always been easier to downgrade lower firmwares.
So what does all that mean for 2.81-3.03 owners?

Well, right now things are more hopeful for you than they have been for bleeding edge firmwares for a long time. We're only 1 step away from being able to downgrade your PSP and move it onto an OE firmware. It's almost certain that a downgrader will eventually come - but no-one can accurately predict when that might be, so please don't ask!

Upgrading to the next firmware release would be homebrew suicide. Don't expect any sympathy if you choose to upgrade as soon as the next firmware is released - if you wait a short time, you can probably have it as an OE version instead.
Upgrading your firmware even from 2.81 to 3.00 is probably not a great move - you may delay your ability to downgrade when a downgrader finally comes.

One final note - if you have more money than patience, then your best bet for getting homebrew on your non-homebrewable PSP is to simply sell it, and buy a downgradeable PSP. The difference in price is not very large these days, and so it's not really a hard thing to do if you really can't wait.

Luckily the likes of Success HK are selling v1.5 Homebrew Friendly PSPs in Blue (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/SONY_PSP_SONY_PSP_Standard_Pack_Blue_Version_1_5__ Jap_.html?aff_id=24), Silver (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/SONY_PSP_SONY_PSP_Standard_Pack_Silver_Version_1_5 __Jap_.html?aff_id=24) and Pink (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/SONY_PSP_SONY_PSP_Standard_Pack_Pink_Version_1_5__ Jap_.html?aff_id=24) and Divineo China are selling v2.71 Homebrew Friendly PSPs in White (http://www.divineo.cn/php/affstart.php?affcode=arboretum&prod=psp-arpw) and Black (http://www.divineo.cn/php/affstart.php?affcode=arboretum&prod=psp-jap) for all of you who want homebrew now and believe me the full speed PSX emulator (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/dcemu-official-guide-how-to-install-3-02-oe-a-then-to-oe-b-to-run-psone-games-47121.html)makes you want to play homebrew more than ever.

SSaxdude
January 24th, 2007, 23:07
That is a question no wise man will be able to answer.

I say sell/trade for a useful PSP.

Mark30001
January 24th, 2007, 23:10
I say he should be patient and wait for a downgrader. I was in the same situation when I upgraded to 2.71, but I remained patient and soon enough a downgrader was released! ;)

buildit92
January 24th, 2007, 23:21
i cant wait for it and i dont got the money. this was the situtation when i upgraded to o 2.71. so i wait now downgrader. so i gave up and upgraded to 2.80, then a week later a downgrader was released for 2.71, i waited and waited. i was about to give up again untill the exploit for tiff was found. then the xloader. then a downgrader. i just cant wait to see what comes next

In Short Terms: I love my 2.80 psp now.

Kamon
January 24th, 2007, 23:22
Give it to me

rock_light
January 25th, 2007, 00:05
sheesh, this ought to be at the start of EVERY psp forum. under: "Well I just got my 1st PSP..." only locked so nobody can ask any more questions after it.

I'd say that the most confusing part of the PSP scene for new PSP pwners, is all the outdated info on everyone's forums.

That, and everyone seems to love to cut and paste instructions for noobs instead of explaining/ discussing the why or even confirming 'weather or not they got it running themselves.

I had a lot of trouble getting my 480x272avc movies getting running.
[not MP_ROOT/MNV0100, not MS_ROOT/VIDEO, ARRGH]

LilSwish722
January 25th, 2007, 00:26
I updated mine to 3.0 and im keeping it here. i heard there was some sorta exploit found so im no updating anymore. however, im getting a 2.80 next week, im trading a friend.

wolfpack
January 25th, 2007, 00:32
one psp is at 3.00 while the otherone has a broken powerboard in it so it flickers colors and freezes, and is at 3.03oe, i dunno if i wanna risk downgrading my 3.0 and then back up again, i might though depending on the results everyone else gets, though i have never bricked once yet

lockrock
January 25th, 2007, 00:55
what i'll imagane nintendo will fuse the psp's use of homebrew and the ds's kiddyness to create the ultimate portable

baracki96
January 25th, 2007, 03:38
I recommend that if you are waiting for a downgrader to just put the psp up and focus on another hoby of some sort ( I drastically improved my sax playing doing this), and occasionally check to see if theres a downgrader out. I did this waiting for a 2.8 downgrader ( see my sig) and it really helps you keep from stressing out. Let me put it this way, when the 2.71 downgrader came out I became a professional marksmen at paintball. Just don't let yourself be overwhelmed, and remember to be patient:cool:

soad825
January 25th, 2007, 05:10
yayyyyyyyyy!!!!(hopefully) im a 3.3 or watever user.got one for chirstmas decided to update right away had a 2.71 :( i didnt check here i was to busy on nintendo forum.

Baboon
January 25th, 2007, 09:13
i cant wait for it and i dont got the money. this was the situtation when i upgraded to o 2.71. so i wait now downgrader. so i gave up and upgraded to 2.80, then a week later a downgrader was released for 2.71, i waited and waited. i was about to give up again untill the exploit for tiff was found. then the xloader. then a downgrader. i just cant wait to see what comes next

In Short Terms: I love my 2.80 psp now.

Your sig takes up half of my PC’s screen! lol

Back on topic - I’d say just be patient (unless your desperate for homebrew and have a large wallet) and wait for a downgrader. I was originally on 2.1 but eventually Fanjita and co (noobz) came to my rescue, which in turn led to the 2.6 downgrader etc. :D

The fact we can now downdate most firmwares upto 2.80 (including the phantom motherboards) is unbelievable.

tophead420
January 25th, 2007, 09:15
I say he should be patient and wait for a downgrader. I was in the same situation when I upgraded to 2.71, but I remained patient and soon enough a downgrader was released! ;)

ye same here except it was a 2.6. i updated my 1.5 to 2.6 and then the next day i discovered homebrew. i was so mad then i started using eloader its was good to have homebrew but it was better when the 2.6 downgrader was released, and now im on 3.03 OE-B and loving the ps1 games :p a i just downgraded a friends 2.6 like 2 hours ago and uped it to 3.03 OE-B im 2 for 2 on downgrading so for. all of you who have a firmware that cant support homebrew just wait theres bounds to be an exploit sooner or later.

EDIT: hmmm i had 420 posts a few days ago now i have 416 lmao thats weird

belialone
January 25th, 2007, 09:29
i would say sell it or trade it

there shoud be a banner on each psp related site saying

dont update you psp

fistikuffs
January 25th, 2007, 12:33
Best thing is to wait. With dev's like noobz dax and ookm working in the scene i think a 2.8 downgrader will only be a matter of time

Baboon
January 25th, 2007, 12:45
Best thing is to wait. With dev's like noobz dax and ookm working in the scene i think a 2.8 downgrader will only be a matter of time

Theres one already out! :D

appie01
January 25th, 2007, 17:10
i'd say never update because eventualy there will be a downgrader or another solution :cool:

if you cant wait you also could trade/sell it
and buy an 1.5,2.0,2.5 or an 2.8 and flash it
to 3.03 oe-c

you can also replace the motherboard for a non
ta-082 this is what i did :thumbup:

fistikuffs
January 26th, 2007, 01:50
Theres one already out! :D

Ooops 2.81 i mean. And it looks like noobz have that particular issue sorted:D 3.03 downgrader in a week? Thanks noobz!!

westlake
January 26th, 2007, 02:41
this is kind of off topic...but i have an interesting downgrade idea that i think might have a possibility of it working...i know that they released a new LCS exploit and everything, but i think this would be a good idea....if there was a possibility of a downgrader in the internet browser. i know there are things blocking this like the size of a downgrader, and it cant write directly to the NAND, but i never said this had 2 b a .swf format... do u think this could ever work? maybe a special rss or something...its just an idea, so tell me what u think of it

nikitenko91
January 26th, 2007, 03:01
this aint on topic but i got a black 2.81 psp and how do i find out what motherboard it got?

Lebow
January 26th, 2007, 04:20
wait a week there should be a downgrader comin out in the nect week using the new xp[loit they found