PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VIII (8) Mega Compatibility Technique Thread Type X50388

ScaryBugThing
January 25th, 2007, 03:45
The thread name is probably just wishful thinking, but I know I'm not the only one playing FF8 on my PSP right now. And I also know I'm not the only one trying to find rhyme or reason as to why it freezes. If people can post their experiences here, it might make it easier for everyone.

Freezes
The game will freeze during boss battles much more often than anything else, in my case. I have sat drawing and casting GFs for 15 minutes with no problem against normal enemies, but bosses have frozen the game twice. I had one freeze against the T-Rexuar in Balamb Garden. I have tried a good deal of different spells and as far as I can tell, no one spell causes freezes.

Except for the one T-Rexaur freeze, I have NOT had a single freeze during normal, non-boss play during the 9 hours I've logged so far.

My consistent, pain-in-the-ass boss freezes were at the Dollet Communication Tower and against the Fake President Deling Zombie in the train car. They occurred NOT ONLY related to when I cast Draw, but related to when I cast Draw and when the game then did a certain quick camera maneuver.

I got past the freeze at both places by constantly casting GFs and avoiding Draw, and by changing my ISO as described below.

ISOs/versions I tried
I tried two different source ISOs (including a certain one with both PAL and NTSC on the same file, which many of you may recognize...), prepared as a CCD and a BIN file, compressed and uncompressed, in versions 3.02 OE-B and 3.03 OE-B.

Both compressed and uncompressed, BIN/CCD ISOs had freezing issues equally. 3.02 OE-B and 3.03 OE-B had freezing issues identically, as far as I could tell. However, I think the freezes seem to favor different spots in the game dependant on the ISO I was using, and I have gotten past the Deling boss freeze by switching to an uncompressed ISO from a compressed one.

How about the rest of you? Anyone having really great luck in getting it to work flawlessly??

Omeey
March 12th, 2007, 08:06
Yuppers, i'm running the US disc one here, it ran absolutely PERFECTLY for me until the communications tower, where i am getting almost consistent freezes just when i am about to beat the boss, and also when i try and use zell's limit break... ill post later if i can seem to get past this in any way :P'

Edit: im running firmware 3.03 OE-C and converted a bin file using simple popstation GUI

Narcotize
March 13th, 2007, 16:01
Same here. I had a freeze with Quistis' Blue Magic while fighting fish on the beach near Balamb.

On 3.03OC-C and popstation GUI.

On a side, I've found that the PSP really doesn't like it on FF9 when there are a good load of characters on screen. Madain Sari with all the moogles is a pain!

HomerSp
March 13th, 2007, 16:13
This is very much likely something in the emulator and we therefore can't do anything to fix it.

Dark_Wolf89
March 17th, 2007, 21:12
For me it often froze against Brothers... It was really tough not to make it freeze... It happened anytime they attacked Rinoa and Angelo counter attacked.

But right now I'm in big trouble... I'm in the end of the Disc 1, when Rinoa is attacked against Lizards... When I fight them, whenever they do a spell, it freeze...

The only solution I see would be to convert the savedata to *.mcr and beat that monster with epsxe... but I don't think it is possible now...

Kichigai Mentat
March 19th, 2007, 13:48
When I played it, the game locked up the entire PSP when I first left the Garden, got into my first random battle, and attempted to Draw-Cast Scan. The Draw animation didn't even complete before the thing crashed and burned.

Kinneas
March 25th, 2007, 17:46
Seems totally random really =/ - It crashes quite frequently for me, even in normal fights. It also crashed when quistis used her first limit break. No apparent ryme or reason to it, real shame though >.<

Tetris999
March 26th, 2007, 00:12
could we edit the iso to get it to work?

and we can edit emulator just that no one wants to..

teh_twisted
April 6th, 2007, 09:59
ey, first I'd like to say hi to everyone just I registered last night... :)

I've been experiencing some insane crashes in FFVIII, so I Google'd around and came across this thread.
Now this is my experience:

Quistis Blue Magic on the Beach at Balamb crashed (once) (so far not reproducible)

Boss Fight: Diablos crashes every time I open the Lamp and he casts a spell (I'm able to to a few things, I was able a while back to inflict some damage but not much)
Now this one was the most annoying, since I kinda _need_ that GF :P

And ofcourse some random interval crashes, seem to be no connection between them (has nothing to do with Casting Magic since I can do that anytime I want... However last night it did crash during a battle in Timber against 2 Galbadian Captains after doing Draw on them for a while (they had Firagas, Thundagas, Blizzaras and Curagas man!), but it wasn't reproducible.

What I've tried to "solve" it:

Get a new PBP
Put CPU speed back to Default (I have it on 333 normally...)
Opening the Lamp in a different situation (with Laguna instead of Squall, same error)

None of this seemed to help, I'm also not sure which version I've got (PAL/NTSC) and also not sure howto check.

I'm running 3.03 OE-C on my PSP I've got for a week now (got it brand new with 2.87), upgraded to 3.03, through GTA:LCS down to 1.5, back to 3.03 OE-C.

I hope I didn't kick up the thread too much (it's quite old actually) but it seemed to make more sense then make a new one...

Thanks in advance, PSP kicks ass and the homebrew scene even more ;)

teh_twisted

Narcotize
April 6th, 2007, 11:25
I'm running on default CPU speed so don't think thats a cause.

OT: Also, I tried bumping the CPU speed up to full to see if that helps with the FF9 lag. Sadly it doesn't. Don't think the emulator can handle the high level of detail that all the 3D models use in that game.

TwistedHope
April 20th, 2007, 02:51
Joined the forums just to post:
Running 3.10 OE-A firmware with same issues as everyone else. The freezes seem *almost* random to me. I don't think that it's ever froze up when walking outside of a battle - I believe it only freezes in battle. It may be related to draw, but I've had it happen when about to perform Zell's special and other various times. Let's try and keep this threat alive until a solution is found =D. I wish there were a way to force a save at anytime during the game (like an emulator would) because this freeze issue wouldn't bother me so much then -- could just save after each battle.

Narcotize
April 21st, 2007, 11:24
Has this been resolved now with 3.3/3.4OE??

Lol, yes, lets keep this threat alive! :D

ScaryBugThing
April 23rd, 2007, 03:00
Has this been resolved now with 3.3/3.4OE??

Lol, yes, lets keep this threat alive! :D

Wow, I forgot all about this thread after I started it and nobody posted--glad I'm not the only FFVIII player trying to get this to work. I'll try to keep the karma going well and update everyone on what I've accomplished so far.

Basically, I'm running 3.10 OE-A' and on Disc 3, and I've basically figured out how to crash it.

Guide to Crashing FFVIII on the PSP:

Normal battles: You need to draw and cast magic in the same battle. This also works in combination with the enemies techniques--if you draw, and they then use magic, it can still freeze.

Normal battles against lots of high-polygon or BIG enemies, and Boss Battles: Same as normal, but will also crash sometimes without warning when enemy uses specific magic or special attacks, even if you haven't drawn.

NOTE: I never use magic during boss battles. Just GFs, and draw when they have new GFs to grab. Playing this way, I have had to re-do battles, such as the battles at the end of Disc 1, multiple times, but I HAVE finished them on the PSP. The only battle I could not finish was the NORG battle at Balamb. But I did get past that battle... {see below}

What a Guy Does to Play FFVIII on the PSP and Not Go Insane:

I found that by dumping my PSP POPs virtual Memory Card to .mcr format with CWCheat, you can beat the always-freeze boss (NORG, for me at least) with ePSXe on the PC, and then just transfer the save back to the PSP. Specifically, I copy the post-battle ePSXe .mcr back to my memory card, and load it with CWCheat. I then make sure to save it normally in the game (so that it rewrites the native .DAT save file and becomes permanent). This process DOES work.

Other Things You Can Do With FFVIII on the PSP:

I've used the FFVIII Griever (http://www.qhimm.com/) save-game editor (with PSXMemTool (http://psxmemtool.ngemu.com/)) to edit the damn card game rules (Random rule, you wasted enough of my time). However, when you actually use the savegame editor, you run the risk of having to 'launder' your .mcr save file in PSXGameEdit (http://moberg-dybdal.dk/psxge/), another memory card manager, since saving it natively through Griever/PSXMemTool will corrupt the MCR somehow and make loading it through CWCheat screw up your DAT save file permanently (thankfully I had it backed up and experimented until I came up with the PSXGameEdit method).

In fact, I have also used PSXMemTool to convert my save game to the native PC FFVIII format (the real PC version, not the PSX version emulated) and play my game there. I then converted it back to PSX .mcr format, and played it fine on the PC and PSP emulators.

Hopefully that helps someone out there. I myself am waiting for someone to test it on the 3.40 OE firmware though--I'd like it to just work, damn it.

Kichigai Mentat
April 25th, 2007, 14:38
Well, now that 3.40 OE-A is out, I took the plunge and upgraded my firmware. Here's the result:

The game runs quite well. I'm only in the beginning of Disc 1, but thus far nothing has caused a crash. I'm going to attempt a Draw-Cast later today, because I misread the posting above mine and thought it was talking about 3.30 OE-A', not 3.10.

Oh, and the Battle Blur works in 2D areas, but not on the world map.

ScaryBugThing
April 26th, 2007, 04:21
Well, now that 3.40 OE-A is out, I took the plunge and upgraded my firmware. Here's the result:

The game runs quite well. I'm only in the beginning of Disc 1, but thus far nothing has caused a crash. I'm going to attempt a Draw-Cast later today, because I misread the posting above mine and thought it was talking about 3.30 OE-A', not 3.10.

Oh, and the Battle Blur works in 2D areas, but not on the world map.

Cool, let us know!! I thought I had heard that it still crashes in at least 3.30, but I don't know for sure.

minister_bob
April 26th, 2007, 05:10
As has been mentioned earlier, I have FFVIII (US/NTSC) crashing in the middle of the Dollett Comm. Tower boss fight as well. I can get past Wedge and Biggs, and usually pretty far into the fight, but then it just hangs. Typically the "Home" button still works, so I can quit the game, but it won't let me do anything else. I haven't tried without Drawing, simply because I am a spell whore :) I'll try that out later. Also, not FF, but a Squaresoft game also, is Front Mission 3 (US/NTSC) crashing randomly. I was in the middle of the second battle (not counting the tutorial, the battle in the Yokosuka base when you find out about the big explosive device) and it just hung, except the Home button didn't work either. Not sure they're related, but they *are* both Squaresoft games, so who knows? I am using 3.40 OE with no special customizations except for having turned off the logo in the recovery console, but it did the same thing before turning it off, so I don't think thats the problem. The eboots are from 3.03 (if I remember right...) so I am going to try to get my originals out again and rip them and redo the eboots. Any suggestions would be great, as I a) love this game and b) really am too impatient to move saves back and forth between ePSXe to complete it :D Thanks!

DPyro
April 26th, 2007, 05:23
FFVII froze on me during two boss battles in 3.30 and 3.40. I had to use CWCheat and ePSXe to get past those parts. No other problems so far.

imy14lionheart
April 27th, 2007, 01:30
Rite guys need a ton of help i reallllllllllllyyyyyyyyy love this game but dont even kno where to start to get it for my psp. i need an emulator and ROM or iso or whatever, so if some one could pleasssssseeeeee let me kno all the steps it wuuuudddd be massivly appreciated!!!!!! thanks

minister_bob
April 27th, 2007, 03:56
FFVII froze on me during two boss battles in 3.30 and 3.40. I had to use CWCheat and ePSXe to get past those parts. No other problems so far.

Were you meaning FF7 or FF8?

TwistedHope
April 27th, 2007, 04:02
ScaryBugThing: Thanks a bunch! Your strategy for getting around the battles where the game always freezes works great. Takes a little bit of time to keep switching things back and forth, but it's a surefire way to get past a particular battle if you are stuck. I also had to use it on the NORG battle because it would freeze whenever he used Psycho Blast (or whatever it is called).

Thanks again!

ScaryBugThing
April 27th, 2007, 11:53
As has been mentioned earlier, I have FFVIII (US/NTSC) crashing in the middle of the Dollett Comm. Tower boss fight as well. I can get past Wedge and Biggs, and usually pretty far into the fight, but then it just hangs. Typically the "Home" button still works, so I can quit the game, but it won't let me do anything else. I haven't tried without Drawing, simply because I am a spell whore :) I'll try that out later. Also, not FF, but a Squaresoft game also, is Front Mission 3 (US/NTSC) crashing randomly. I was in the middle of the second battle (not counting the tutorial, the battle in the Yokosuka base when you find out about the big explosive device) and it just hung, except the Home button didn't work either. Not sure they're related, but they *are* both Squaresoft games, so who knows? I am using 3.40 OE with no special customizations except for having turned off the logo in the recovery console, but it did the same thing before turning it off, so I don't think thats the problem. The eboots are from 3.03 (if I remember right...) so I am going to try to get my originals out again and rip them and redo the eboots. Any suggestions would be great, as I a) love this game and b) really am too impatient to move saves back and forth between ePSXe to complete it :D Thanks!

Hey--thanks for the update. I guess that gives us a pretty strong indication that it isn't fixed in 3.40 OE-A.

As to getting around it--like I said, I'm on Disc 3, and I draw all the time. That said, I've never used spells much before when I played the game the last time, and when I found out that spells, especially in combination with drawing, are the main cause of crashes--well, I just stopped completely.

I still draw tons and have plenty of magic to junction, but I don't actually use spells unless it's absolutely necessary. I do not think you can play the game on the PSP right now if you insist on using spells.

If you insist on using spells, I'd just stick with ePSXe or the native PC version... I admit, it's a lot nicer to never have to worry about freezes, but I'm lazy and like to lie around playing however. (Maybe I should try playing on the PC again, now that we can use wireless XBOX360 controllers, so there's a nice way to play without being tied to the damned screen, but that's getting a littttttle off topic! :cool: )

@TwistedHope: Glad it helped--yeah, the NORG battle is, I think, impossible to get past. He always uses a game-freezer before you can kill him, and I think FF8 bosses scale with your level ups, so you probably couldn't even get really powerful and steamroll him...

bknewtype
April 27th, 2007, 16:17
i am having trouble with the sourceress battle on disk 2. after beating seifer i have to face edea, some times i get lucky and survive the malstron, but everytime she cast blizzaga, the game freezes. its almost consistent, and i dont see how i can get pass the battle without her casting any magic. so now im stuck on this part cause it constantly freezes ;[
i am noob to the whole upload save game play it on comp and send the save abck to my psp thing. im running the 3.10 firmware. can someone giv me a breif guide as to how i can do the save thing on computer? thank you for you help.

ScaryBugThing
May 1st, 2007, 11:34
i am having trouble with the sourceress battle on disk 2. after beating seifer i have to face edea, some times i get lucky and survive the malstron, but everytime she cast blizzaga, the game freezes. its almost consistent, and i dont see how i can get pass the battle without her casting any magic. so now im stuck on this part cause it constantly freezes ;[
i am noob to the whole upload save game play it on comp and send the save abck to my psp thing. im running the 3.10 firmware. can someone giv me a breif guide as to how i can do the save thing on computer? thank you for you help.

Hey, I'll try, although I haven't had to set up in awhile so this is from memory and may not be totally right:

1. Download CWCheatPops (http://cwcheat.zioale.it/cwcheatpops.prx). (This is the step most likely to go wrong--It seems like the site says this version will work on 3.10 OE-A, but I'm not sure--when I set up the first time, the plugin was specifically for 3.10 OE-A. If you can't get it to work, look on the main CWCheat (http://cwcheat.zioale.it/)site for it)

2. Put the .prx file in [root]\seplugins\.

3. Hold down "R" when you turn on your PSP to access the boot menu. Find the .prx in Plugins, and make sure it is enabled. Save and Exit.

4. Start your game. After the actual game starts (i.e., when you're sure it has booted, like during the opening credits), hold down Select for about 3 seconds to access the CWCheat menu.

5. Go to "Save Memory Card" or something like that. It will dump a .mcr file of the virtual Pops memory card on your actual memory card, somewhere I believe in the seplugins directory.

6. Transfer that .mcr file to your computer. You can now play it in ePSXe by linking that .mcr from the memory card options.

7. When you are ready to transfer it back, put it IN THE SAME DIRECTORY WITH THE SAME FILENAME as where you got it on your PSP memory card.

8. Load your game and go to the CWCheat menu during the opening credits.

9. 'Load Memory Card' or something like that. Make sure the filename is the same. If you've done everything correctly, you should see an "OK" or something to indicate it's been correctly loaded. If it wasn't loaded, you'll see a load failure message.

10. When you access the memory card within the game, your new save files should be there. Make sure you save again inside the game to write your new save to the PSP's virtual memory card.

That's basically it. There are ways you can work with things more, but I tried to keep it simple. Hope it helps.

Rand
May 11th, 2007, 09:21
Hi Everybody!

Sorry for my english I'm not very good in writeing but I would like to share some experience what I get about freezeing spots in this game. I useing Firmware 3.03 OE-C. Now I'm now in disk 3 without useing the CWCheat trick. I played the game useing the smallest screen size beacuse I noticed with that less feeze. On disc one: I played a lot of card game to get very usefull spells early in the game like curaga, regen, demi, quake, tornado, ect... they are very good to junction. So about freezeing spots: Doilet commonitation center summon, summon, summon... if you are kill the enemies quick you have biger chance to pass this part. I defeat Diablos 2. try just useing GF summon(I don't even boost them). Don't bother with healing just keep summoning. Same Brothers just useing GF summon. I get pass the lizard's easyley: Before encounter them I kill Irvine beacuse if you fight aganist them alone they don't use any magic, just attack. So I can draw carbunkle and kill them with a single GF summon. There is a saveing spot and next to it a sewer climb down and there you can kill Irvine. On disc two I get Tonberry GF pretty hard(it last me 4 day's to get the methold): To get it you will need two ability Mad rush and Recovery. First I switch my party to Irvine and Quistis beacuse I don't use them to much and they level is low(My prefered party is: Squall (255%hit), Zell(high srt beacuse I give him Ifrit and useing srt bonus), and Selphie( full-cure limit brake)). But now useing Quistis, and Irvine beacuse they are at low level so the Tonbery's is at low level(lower HP). Let's start killing some Tonbery's without a looseing any HP. When the battle begins wait until the Tonbery step forward 2 times, when he start the second step quickly use Mad Rush. Why? After 2. step he will not attack you until he reach you and beacuse of the Mad Rush you get berserk, haste, and protect, they never reach me. Be careful after you defeat the 17th Tonbery. From now wait the two steps then start attacking, only attack nothing else. When Tonbery King came out keep attacking him, again just attack. If you need healing use Recovery it will restore all your HP. Now lets see that cursed NORG. Belive me or not I defeat him at FIRST TIME. No freeze here for me. Again I use GF summon only. When the pod opend I draw leviathan after that I use summon. He use the Psyho Blast against me 2 times but the game doesn't freeze. You can imagine my suprise. And the last battle in Disc two against the sorceress this was the easyest: she is week aganist sleep. So junction 100 sleep everyone Status attack. She will sleep the whole battle.
I hope you find usefull thoes infomations.

thavagrant
May 11th, 2007, 12:49
There has been found a new and simple way to solve the crash problems.
Just change the game id into SLPS-01222 and it'll be 100% crash free. The downside is that it will have slowdowns at start of battles and when entering areas. Nevertheless this is definatly worth it.

khoadphamm
May 12th, 2007, 21:07
how do i change the games id? you mean the savedata folder? or what.. sorry if its a noob question lol

Rand
May 14th, 2007, 12:52
Don't bother with it this method is useless. I try it but still freez for me.

BurningRage
May 14th, 2007, 14:35
that method isn't useless, the number of crashes is reduced by a biiiiiiiig amount

TRiPpS
May 17th, 2007, 03:37
May 11th, 2007 03:49
thavagrant There has been found a new and simple way to solve the crash problems.
Just change the game id into SLPS-01222 and it'll be 100% crash free. The downside is that it will have slowdowns at start of battles and when entering areas. Nevertheless this is definatly worth it. k questions.... what FW are you using? what popstation are you using? what did you rip the cd with? I'd appreciate this info I gave up on this monthes ago cause of college and stuff but would like something to do at work LOL thank you in advance!!

thavagrant
May 18th, 2007, 14:32
i'm just using the latest OE of dark alex: 3.40
But thats not really the point lol, not even how you rip it, its just that you have to change the game id into SLPS-01222. you can simply do this by using: psx2psp popstation gui.
ill even give you the dl link: http://dl.qj.net/dl.php?fid=12982
And this methode is defintatly not useless. The number of crashes are minimum, if not non excisting.

ScaryBugThing
May 20th, 2007, 18:10
There has been found a new and simple way to solve the crash problems.
Just change the game id into SLPS-01222 and it'll be 100% crash free. The downside is that it will have slowdowns at start of battles and when entering areas. Nevertheless this is definatly worth it.

I just updated to 3.40 OE-A to see if it would fix the freezing. I am using SLPS-01222 for the game/save ID. I converted the save file so I know I'm using the 3.40 pops.

The slowdown is REALLY bad for me. When I go between screens, it takes about twice as long as it did before, and the music starts chopping up and lagging.

Then, when I get into battles, it is slowed down and glitchy the entire time. The battles are thus basically unplayable, with the sound and battle speed lurching along unpredictably, which takes all the fun out of 'em. Even in the 3D overworld, the speed is somewhat lurchy and slow.

So to reiterate, the only time the game runs at full speed now is in a city or fixed area, after the area has transitioned. That's it.

Is this how it is for other people? Even if it doesn't freeze, this is worse than the freezes by far...

nk_blu
June 12th, 2007, 22:19
Hello all. After couple of experimentation with Final Fantasy VIII and playing it on PSP, I've found some interesting discoveries.

I was able to get past the boss at Comm. Tower without any freezes, here is what I used:
- 3.40 OE-A custom firmware (big thumbs up to Dark Alex)
- cwcheatspop, with couple cheats enabled
- All "Normal" PS1 settings for PSP. So like, Normal disc loading speed, view mode, black level adjustments, etc.

What I did:

I think there is a relationship between number of menu windows opened and "type" of magic being cast by ally/enemy.

I realized that, my previous game crashes happened when the boss' "Storm Breath" spell animation was being cast and at the same time, I was trying to perform various game functions (choosing items, Selphie's Slot, spamming to get limit breaks).

So what I did was, I had to do my battles very slowly, I waited until the boss did his attack, then quickly decided and executed my three guy's actions. So basically, when "Storm Breath" was being cast, I had no extra menu windows opened other than my "Attack/Draw/GF/etc." command window.

It also got my game frozen when I had limit break menu windows opened when Mega Elixer spell animation was being cast (yes, I cheated =P)

So for future "known" crash battles, try using my method: close off any extra command menu windows when the enemy is about to or attacking.

Hope this helps you guys~ :thumbup:

BelmontSlayer
June 18th, 2007, 06:27
Anyone found any new fixes yet? I'm using the SLPS-01222 fix, but it slows the loading horribly...

BelmontSlayer
June 19th, 2007, 03:18
I get the weird beeps with the SLPS-01222 code. The loading time is also horribly slow...

Narcotize
October 1st, 2007, 10:24
Huge bump for this to find out if anyone using the Slim has seen if this has been fixed at all?

Gene
October 2nd, 2007, 07:23
Huge bump for this to find out if anyone using the Slim has seen if this has been fixed at all?

If you are still having this freezing problem, try remaking the Eboot and changing the Game and Save ID to "SLPS02180". I have beaten the entire game on my psp with this code and the only problems are there is a slight slowdown when using gf junctions, but as far as freezing goes, the only freeze I had encountered was one time when I was on the 3rd disc battling a blitz. I don't quite remember the circumstances, but I do remember that I was running multiple plugins and that could have caused the crash. But yes, final fantasy 8 is definitely playable and works about 99.7% with this code.

Narcotize
October 9th, 2007, 14:36
By GF junctions, are we talking summoning a GF, or in the junction screen of the character menus?

Also, will I need to move to M33 firmwares or should this be a generic all firmware fix?

Finally, can you point me to where the eboot creation discussion is going on? I've got an ancient popstation and it doesn't seem to work with 3.40OE from what I've seen. Been out of the loop so long that I haven't got a clue about changing game and save IDs.

Thanks for the help!

Narcotize
October 15th, 2007, 15:05
Bump. Just want pointers on the above so I can go sort myself out with FF8!
I tried the Biohazard version and that is way clunky on loading between scenes....

Not necessarily on the slim btw, I'm on a fatPS

Running 3.52-4 since this weekend now too.

Jokemonky
October 25th, 2007, 12:32
Hey, I don't know if anyone pointed this out, but the top three battles for bugging are the Comm tower boss, the fake Deling and NORG. All of these bosses use mid-battle 'transformation'. Biggs and Wedge 'transform' into the Comm tower boss, Deling transforms into the zombie-thing, and NORG 'transforms' out of that machine. Now, I'm no expert, but I'd say that this could be the problem. If it is, then I think a coder with a lot of spare time could debug it and find a fix.

~JM~

Narcotize
October 31st, 2007, 12:13
Well, I'm going to try that game code above (when I get my act in gear and get my FF8 disc out of archive and get the latests Popstation)... failing that, fingers crossed that a m33 3.72 comes out with extra compatibility.

Also noticed that since going m33, my FF7 glitches whenever a fight finishes. What a pain.

GAMEfreak88
October 31st, 2007, 13:17
started playin through this on 3.52-M33 2 using sony's own emulator. I'm getting a repeatable crash when fighting the monster that drags a galbadian soldier on the ground near the comms tower ( during the practical seeD exam) . aint got past it yet. is it possible to change the game ID via simply renaming the folder or would i have to extract the eboot to do it? =/. anyone hear of anything in regards to running it this way?. it seems to have practically no slowdowns at all under normal use, apart from these crashes :(.

apparantly my eboot is using the hot shots golf 2 ID.

Narcotize
November 11th, 2007, 16:24
If you are still having this freezing problem, try remaking the Eboot and changing the Game and Save ID to "SLPS02180". I have beaten the entire game on my psp with this code and the only problems are there is a slight slowdown when using gf junctions, but as far as freezing goes, the only freeze I had encountered was one time when I was on the 3rd disc battling a blitz. I don't quite remember the circumstances, but I do remember that I was running multiple plugins and that could have caused the crash. But yes, final fantasy 8 is definitely playable and works about 99.7% with this code.

All FF8 users. I can confirm that this game ID works.

I've done the following:

1) Spam away with Quistis blue magic (Lazer Eye and Ultra Waves)
2) Sat and draw'd my arse off at the top of the tower.

What you have to put up with is:

a) a brief slowdown when hitting or being hit (almost as if its calcing the outcome of your action
b) junctioning magic and GFs is painfully laggy! but bearable (once you get past the bloody tutorials)

If you want to play FF8 with minimal problems, you better do the above!

4 hours in, just done the SeeD exam.

steveyh13
November 15th, 2007, 13:28
if its possible could someone explain the new compatibility of popstation with 3.71 m33-3 ? Ive just upgraded and i just want to know if it's still the same process to make eboots ... at the moment im using autopopstation4, do i need to change anything?

thanks all

kryst abegnalie
December 10th, 2007, 07:23
if its possible could someone explain the new compatibility of popstation with 3.71 m33-3 ? Ive just upgraded and i just want to know if it's still the same process to make eboots ... at the moment im using autopopstation4, do i need to change anything?

thanks all

Hi,

FF8 works fine on my 3.71 m33-3 with popsloader plugin. I've tried the game id (ive forgot the id, but i will try to remember later) will that has more compatibility nad less freeze, but sometimes run slow. Im using an auto game id converter to use the 2 game ids. Ill edit this message once i have the link..

Narcotize
December 11th, 2007, 16:12
The game ID I have used without crashes or significant slowdown is on the page before this one!

esy928
December 25th, 2007, 12:53
Tmy game freezes everytime i cast scan no matter which character i use.. anyone encountered it?

MarkJu
December 26th, 2007, 18:36
Here is my personal experience:

- Started playing with official ID# (SLUS00892)
- Played for 16 hours
- During those 16 hours, crashed only for one reason, which is when casting scan magic (everytime I tried to do it)
- During those 16 hours, mostly did not use GF, lots of drawing, almost no casting, mostly normal attacks
- After 16 hours, met Fake president Delling
- Crashed long into the battle (had not use GF, only recovery magic, mostly drawing and little attacks)
- Crashed when Zell Double-casted Esuna (was able to reproduce)
- Crashed when Selphie Draw Esuna for the second time.
- Crashed when Zell Draw Esuna for the second time.
- Crashed when Zell Draw Double
- Changing the screen settings to the smallest made no difference
- Changing the config option to "Slow battle speed, 0 camera movement, etc" made no difference
- Finally gave up drawing, even though some of those magic were available for unlimited drawing for the first time (Berserk, Esuna and Zombie).
- Ended the battle with attacks only and recovery magic (sad).

December 30th, 2007, 05:03
I'm running on slim cfw 3.71 m33.

I've been playing ff8 until disc 2 now and the crashes I've experienced are when I draw.

1. Dollet Com. Tower: draw certain magics = crash.
2. Fake president: draw = crash.
3. Normal battles: draw a lot = crash
4. A few magics that will crash me include Cura, Life (sometimes), Esuna, etc.
5. Quistis's and Rinoa's Limit Break usually crashes.

Kichigai Mentat
March 4th, 2008, 04:12
Am I the only one who is both depressed at how poorly this game runs, even in these later firmwares (Sony hasn't gotten it right yet? WTF!) but impressed at the same time (Christ, this has to be one of the most complex PSX games ever if Sony hasn't nailed this thing!)

jxx2005
March 4th, 2008, 04:41
has anyone tried it on 3.80 or 3.90 yet?

radiansansred
March 9th, 2008, 17:17
I am. So far, I can say that the game crashed when I tried to cast Double on Squall during the Brothers fight, and it continues to crash at the Iguion boss fight nearing the end of Disc One when they use Resonance.

My current plan is to just leave Carbuncle behind and see what happens.

orac31
May 16th, 2008, 22:47
Tmy game freezes everytime i cast scan no matter which character i use.. anyone encountered it?

I am new to this but what I did after my eboot kept crashing on scan every time was make a new one without compression IE level 0 and used the id that was suggested
earlyer in thread.

not crashing on scan at all at the mo and tried it maney times. and speed has not slowed down.

can`t test any more as i have ff7,10 to play which i know wont crash.

hope this helps

ps my firm is a slim with 390 m33 and popsloader

Mr-S
May 19th, 2008, 16:11
I'm running on default CPU speed so don't think thats a cause.

OT: Also, I tried bumping the CPU speed up to full to see if that helps with the FF9 lag. Sadly it doesn't. Don't think the emulator can handle the high level of detail that all the 3D models use in that game.

Doesnt using pops cause to psp to run at 333 mHz ??
anyways i looked online a lot,
an from personal experience to,
using certain magic like scan (whether drawn or cast) can cause freezing
I also had it facing Ifrit though now i htnk i guess that was scanning. Not every scan will set it off, just some.:confused:

Narcotize
June 9th, 2008, 14:46
FF8 WAS working fine for me, until I went back to play it recently. As of 3.80-5 it was flawless apart from when a Visage casts scan or draw on your team, now with the most current FW, its just hang-a-rific again for just about everything.

Mildly tempted to bump down to 3.80-5 again just to finish this off because I'd got all the way through the game (with no problems using the information earlier in this thread) to Esthar.

But once again, people check back to see how to fix this game, I can confirm that on 3.80-5 with the Game ID specified, no hangs, no freezes, no lag... right up until I got to disc 3 and upgraded firmware.