PDA

View Full Version : Wavebird Gets Popular, Expensive

wraggster
January 25th, 2007, 22:34
via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/wavebird/wavebird-gets-popular-expensive-231403.php)

Andy writes over on Game People that the Gamecube Wavebird, now usable on the Wii, is starting to become quite popular. And by popular, he means expensive.

To prove his point he charted the price of the wireless controller over the lifespan of the GameCube and now the Wii. Check it:

The WaveBird has seen great fluctuations in price over its turbulent life. I recently put together the following list that shows the little fella's popularity reflected in its price (in my local and on-line retailers):
GameCube Launch Price £34.99 (Electronics Boutique)
Mid GameCube £27.99
Late GameCube £22.99 (Game)
End of Gamecube life £5.99 (WH Smiths Sale)
Wii Launch £17.99 (Play.com)
Post Christmas price £24.99 (Amazon.co.uk)

Sure, it's all anecdotal, but it makes sense. The Wavebird is a fantastic controller for GameCube games on the Wii. Developers may tell you next-gen is all about high-def, but that's not true, it's really just about wireless, sweet, sweet cable-free gaming.

curt_grymala
January 27th, 2007, 00:54
Sure, it's all anecdotal, but it makes sense. The Wavebird is a fantastic controller for GameCube games on the Wii. Developers may tell you next-gen is all about high-def, but that's not true, it's really just about wireless, sweet, sweet cable-free gaming.

I have to agree 100%. I have never been a big fan of wireless gaming, as I've only ever heard very negative things about most wireless controllers.

However, the Wiimote and the Wavebird are both absolutely fantastic wireless controllers. The range and accuracy for those two controllers is unbelievable.

I love my Wii, and the best thing about it is being able to play any Wii or Gamecube game (or VC game for that matter) from just about anywhere I want, thanks to the Wiimote and the Wavebird.