PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew on the Gamecube, Which way is best ?

wraggster
April 9th, 2005, 23:56
Homebrew and Emulation on the Gamecube is now really taking off and it should really be an exciting time for the Gamecube Hacking Scene. Which is the best way for Gamecube owners to run homebrew code, is it by means of the PSO exploit or the SDload program or by installing one of the many modchips now available.

Have your say Here.

WHurricane16
April 10th, 2005, 16:16
ah, you can use a mod chip now? Nice :D any links?

EDIT: Genesis Plus for the Cube? Sweet action!!!

http://projects.sappharad.com/gcn/genplus/

Eric
April 10th, 2005, 17:47
You can find one of them i believe at XboxScene. The Modchip is called Viper.

Eric

lukej101
April 10th, 2005, 19:05
Couldnt you just use the freeloader.

AirRaven
April 12th, 2005, 21:22
Couldnt you just use the freeloader.

It's not possible to boot non-GC discs in the gamecube in any way at present, or at least to the best of my knowledge. The only ways I know of are through SDLoad (SD card adapter), and through exploiting a glitch in Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1+2 which enables you to rip and load code through the Broadband Adaptor.

Freeloader just lets you boot import discs.

160R
April 24th, 2005, 18:50
As far as I know there are 8 ways to run backups in GC:

-Max Drive Pro
-Action Replay + Memory Card + Bios
-ModChip Viper GC
-ModChip qoob PRO
-ModChip Ripper III GC
-Modchip NinjaMod GC
-Pso + BBA
-SD cards adaptor and Action Replay

My favorite one is with Codejunkies Max Drive Pro

ptr.exe
April 25th, 2005, 19:57
160R, you cant run backups in the GC, it wont read any discs but the Hitachi Optical discs that nintendo use. I think you mean '8 ways to load homebrew / emus'

boule
April 26th, 2005, 17:12
160R, you cant run backups in the GC, it wont read any discs but the Hitachi Optical discs that nintendo use. I think you mean '8 ways to load homebrew / emus'
I used to believe that too. But I can assure you Gamecube has no problems reading mini dvds with the right modchip and bios ;)

since i already had a sdcard+card reader/writer, I was gonna go for action replay+ sd adapter, but errrr, the qoob solution tempted me most^^

I also bought the sd adapter, but still have no use for it, as the current bios has no sd card browser (next version of GCOS, an open-source bios should have it, so just a question of time : :D )
for the bba... well in 2005, there is no way I'm paying 40€ for something that's already included in all other gaming systems :P but I guess that for coders it's still a great investment with the option to buy an action replay or modchip instead of the pso game

ptr.exe
May 3rd, 2005, 21:05
Are you telling me that you can now write homebrew/emus to mini-DVD's to be played in a chipped GC with a changed bios?

I have never followed the GC scene but i thought i would of heard of something like this.

boule
May 4th, 2005, 10:01
Are you telling me that you can now write homebrew/emus to mini-DVD's to be played in a chipped GC with a changed bios?

I have never followed the GC scene but i thought i would of heard of something like this.
quote from the .nfo of the bios for qoob modchip:

- Disc browser for ISO9660-DVDs, supporting
Joliet for running homebrew .ELF/.DOL files
I still haven't tempted it as i'm short on minidvd^^ but there is no reason it wouldn't work.
emus that work with .dol are the snes and genesis emu (both fullspeed if i remember correctly, without saving for now)

there are also emus ripped from retail games that work by "injecting" the roms into an .iso image, they should work too but...that's not very legal I guess :/ (that's the n64 emus)

[edit]: there is also a hdd interface for gamecube in development, more info here:
http://www.dextrose.com/_forum/showthread.php?threadid=10497

ptr.exe
May 11th, 2005, 14:52
thanks for the info, i may start taking more an interest in the GC scene, its my favourite console of this generation but i never really bothered with hb/emus on it.