PDA

View Full Version : About That PS3 Price Change… I've Got Good News and Bad News

wraggster
January 26th, 2007, 19:54
via gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/about-that-ps3-price-change-ive-got-good-news-and-bad-news-231780.php)

Well, we've all been clamoring for Sony to adjust the ridiculous price of their Playstation 3, and they've finally gone ahead changed it for us. Oh, just a couple of notes before you get excited: the price change is only effective in Canada, and it's a $50 increase. Yeah, you Canucks were getting off easy only having to pay $649 of your funny money for a PS3. The new price of $699 should suit you much better.

Oh, and it also appears that they've removed all 20GB models from the Canadian market as well. Is there a more anti-consumer company than Sony out there? Seriously, it's like they're trying to agitate their customers. Next they'll announce that in order to buy a PS3 you need to submit to a solid kick to the balls before leaving the store.

shadowprophet
January 26th, 2007, 20:00
wanna know what im happy about?
This is yet another nail in sonys coffin.
I think ill go prepare a nice farewell speech for when they finely kick the bucket.

acn010
January 26th, 2007, 20:02
what?! oh wow, sony........ why? sony!!!

Shrygue
January 26th, 2007, 20:05
A price INCREASE? Sorry for the capitals but that's just such a stupid and brainless decision to do. I just hope that the PS3 price doesn't suddenly jump higher in Europe because many wish the price tag was lower.

leonstars
January 26th, 2007, 20:15
Ha! :rofl:
submit to a solid kick to the balls

thats a good one, way to go sony

DPyro
January 26th, 2007, 20:34
That's not Sony, it's BestBuy and Futureshop. Sony is still selling it for $649.

acn010
January 26th, 2007, 20:37
it sucks balls now, sincve sony is loosing money, the warehouse companies are increasing, booooooooo

F9zDark
January 26th, 2007, 20:40
Yeah, you Canucks were getting off easy only having to pay $649 of your funny money for a PS3. The new price of $699 should suit you much better.

Before we all go blasting Sony, lets look at the wording here. $649 of YOUR FUNNY MONEY. So assuming that the author said that, I take it that he meant 649 CAD.

Thats actually 550 USD; so Canucks have been paying less than everyone else as it is. A 50 CAD increase only raises the cost up to 592 USD.

If the author DOES indeed mean CAD (which clearly he must, since the quote above) that means that Canadians have had it lucky and still do; paying 8 USD less than their southern brothers...

shadowprophet
January 26th, 2007, 21:14
Before we all go blasting Sony, lets look at the wording here. $649 of YOUR FUNNY MONEY. So assuming that the author said that, I take it that he meant 649 CAD.

Thats actually 550 USD; so Canucks have been paying less than everyone else as it is. A 50 CAD increase only raises the cost up to 592 USD.

If the author DOES indeed mean CAD (which clearly he must, since the quote above) that means that Canadians have had it lucky and still do; paying 8 USD less than their southern brothers...

Sony has been accumulating a lot of bad press in the last quarter or so. One, No matter how die hard a sony fan would still be forced to question their logic at this point.Does sony really need more bad press.

F9zDark
January 26th, 2007, 21:20
Sony has been accumulating a lot of bad press in the last quarter or so. One, No matter how die hard a sony fan would still be forced to question their logic at this point.Does sony really need more bad press.

I am not a die hard Sony fan, I am using logic to deduce whether or not this is actually a bad thing. If you read the evidence I have to offer, you would have seen that this is not as bad as it sounds.

550 USD to 592 USD price increase is alot better than 649 USD to 699 USD price increase, wouldn't you agree?

Not to mention, if they author is right about the money, being USD, I doubt the canadians wouldn't have had something to say about a 765 CAD pricetag...

Added:

I did some more research. Best Buy Canada has the PS3 for $699. So why would a Canadian electronics store use the American dollar? It wouldn't; its obviously in CAD (Canadian Dollar). So this article is mute(and the author an apparent retard). 699 CAD = 592 USD. Any price increase is bad news, but they ARE STILL paying less than anyone else; so they can shove it.

DPyro
January 26th, 2007, 21:57
Theres a little thing called taxes. So no, not paying less than US.

DCergo
January 26th, 2007, 22:33
We in the states pay a little something called a sales tax also. It's as high as 8.75% in some states.

F9zDark
January 27th, 2007, 00:09
Theres a little thing called taxes. So no, not paying less than US.

Last I checked, everyone paid taxes. And since taxes are a factor of the initial cost, generally, when someone is saving money initially, they are saving money in the end too. I paid 7% tax on my PS3 at 600 USD. Canadians would have to pay at least 10% if not more to make their final price higher than mine...

And seeing that they were paying 649 CAD prior to today, they were paying alot less than everyone else...

10shu
January 27th, 2007, 00:14
We in the states pay a little something called a sales tax also. It's as high as 8.75% in some states.

what sniper mean is that in canada the tax are added to the retail price. a game could be priced at 69$can in the shop but you paid 80$can when u actually purchace it.

I don t know how it is in the us. but in europe the tax are included at the price so you have no surprse when u pass the cashregister...

F9zDark
January 27th, 2007, 00:24
what sniper mean is that in canada the tax are added to the retail price. a game could be priced at 69$can in the shop but you paid 80$can when u actually purchace it.

How is that any different than the US?

DCergo
January 27th, 2007, 01:44

I don t know how it is in the us. but in europe the tax are included at the price so you have no surprse when u pass the cashregister...

Well, F9zDark asked the right question. I know how it is in Canada (I have family there). My point was that it's the same here. You walk into a store to pick up a $599 PS3, that price does NOT include the tax that gets added when purchasing. In my state, it's 8.625%.

TuRDMaN
January 27th, 2007, 08:13
Ok, here's the facts as far as I know (I live in Ontario, Canada btw)

1) The price increase was not implemented by Sony, but by individual retailers. The price of a 60GB PS3 was raised to $699.99 (from $659.99, yes, only a $40 increase, not $50) in CANADIAN DOLLARS by these retailers. $699.99 CAD = $593.413 USD at the current exchange rate of 1 USD = 1.17960 CAD

2)The price increase is due to the decline of the value of the Canadian dollar in relation to the American dollar.

3)There is a 6% goods and services tax charged throughout the whole country, and a 8% provincial sales tax (in Ontario; it varies slightly from province to province), for a total of 14% sales tax (in ON). So if I went out right now and purchased a 60GB PS3 from Best Buy, it would cost me a grand total of $797.98 CAD, or $676.48 USD

Hope this cleared up any misunderstandings.

F9zDark
January 27th, 2007, 08:28
Ok, here's the facts as far as I know (I live in Ontario, Canada btw)

1) The price increase was not implemented by Sony, but by individual retailers. The price of a 60GB PS3 was raised to $699.99 (from $659.99, yes, only a $40 increase, not $50) in CANADIAN DOLLARS by these retailers. $699.99 CAD = $593.413 USD at the current exchange rate of 1 USD = 1.17960 CAD

2)The price increase is due to the decline of the value of the Canadian dollar in relation to the American dollar.

3)There is a 6% goods and services tax charged throughout the whole country, and a 8% provincial sales tax (in Ontario; it varies slightly from province to province), for a total of 14% sales tax (in ON). So if I went out right now and purchased a 60GB PS3 from Best Buy, it would cost me a grand total of $797.98 CAD, or $676.48 USD

Hope this cleared up any misunderstandings.

Thank you very much for that. I get tired of people just blaming Sony without getting the facts straight.

cdrdj
January 27th, 2007, 09:05

Wow, lucky Americans. I have to pay 14% tax... It sucks especially with the new PS3 pricing.

muffinman
January 27th, 2007, 10:33
us british pay 17.5% tax on everything :(

seems you guys have got it easy :p