PDA

View Full Version : Wiinja - Modchip for Nintendo Wii Pictures and Info

wraggster
January 26th, 2007, 20:19
Team Ninja are the first Modchip Makers to show off their talents, the first modchip for the Nintendo Wii is to be called Wiinja, the mod looks to be an easy one to install with only 5 wires, the expected price is to be 35 Euros (approx 25 pounds)

Heres 3 screens:

http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/wiinjaa.jpg

http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/wiinjbb.jpg

http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/wiininjass.jpg

This mod at the moment wont let you play Wii games from other regions (which is a letdown, hopefully thatll change)

More news as it comes in.

DiGG THIS (http://digg.com/gadgets/Wiinja_Modchip_for_Nintendo_Wii_Pictures_and_Info)

alienanthropologist
January 26th, 2007, 21:12
Sorry, what does it do? :confused:

Man
January 26th, 2007, 21:18
It lets you play games from different reigoins in other words, If you live i n america, you can play iported Japanese games, and vise wersa. I dont really like it that much though, the price point is a little high, for what it does. Im pretty sure you can use an old game cube program to do the same thing.

Zion
January 26th, 2007, 21:24
i imagine it plays backups not imports, as it says imports dont work using it yet

SSaxdude
January 26th, 2007, 21:28
I'm waiting for an exploit in the browser to use homebrew.

SwordOfZork
January 26th, 2007, 21:28
It lets you play games from different reigoins in other words, If you live i n america, you can play iported Japanese games, and vise wersa. I dont really like it that much though, the price point is a little high, for what it does. Im pretty sure you can use an old game cube program to do the same thing.

...? Did you not read anything about it at all? Even the post on here clearly says this can NOT be used for playing import games.

This chip is used for back-up GC or Wii games of the SAME region.

Nicko01
January 26th, 2007, 21:37
this seems useless. A waste of $45....

SwordOfZork
January 26th, 2007, 21:50
Edit: Piracy will not be discussed or you will feel the wrath of my ban hammer!
Consider this a verbal warning.
- The Cap'n

DPyro
January 26th, 2007, 21:54
It's been said this is fake...

Man
January 26th, 2007, 21:59
...? Did you not read anything about it at all? Even the post on here clearly says this can NOT be used for playing import games.

This chip is used for back-up GC or Wii games of the SAME region.

Hey man, i was just trying to help, no need to be an asshole, i just misread the article. Thing seems pointless anyways, piracy is illegal and is not tolerated on dcemu forums, usually.

shadowprophet
January 26th, 2007, 22:42
Oh sure, lol lets all rip our wiis open and take our chances that it'll never power up again.

Everyone ready?

Not..

SwordOfZork
January 26th, 2007, 22:55
Hey man, i was just trying to help, no need to be an asshole, i just misread the article. Thing seems pointless anyways, piracy is illegal and is not tolerated on dcemu forums, usually.

Sorry if I came off as rude. It just annoys me when people try to talk about things they don't know about, and don't even try to get their facts straight. You just looked at it and made up a blind assumption to try to "help" someone, but all that would accomplish is spreading misinformation and confusion.

Big Stu
January 27th, 2007, 00:07
It's been said this is fake...Of course it has, this is the internet after all, where cynicism is king.

For what it's worth though, Costello at GBAtemp.net (thread here (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=43162) for those interested, and are registered) has apparently seen the chip in action via webcam, and the Wiinja team is sending him one on monday to review. So i imagine by the end of the next week, the cynics will either be laughing from on high, or sitting the rest of this one out.

Oh sure, lol lets all rip our wiis open and take our chances that it'll never power up again.

Everyone ready?

Not..

Surely that's a little naive? Surely someone somewhere has to be willing to do such a thing everytime a new modchip is released onto the market?

alienanthropologist
January 27th, 2007, 09:51
Well, for what it does at the moment I don't think I would be willing to surrender my Wii to surgery. I don't even know where to get these pirated games anyway, and if I did, I don't know if I'd be happy to buy them.

On the other hand if a modchip to make the Wii multiregion comes out at an affordable price, I'd love to consider it.

gamerremag
January 27th, 2007, 16:11
i just ordered it and it works great!:thumbup:

lol im jus kiddin. So... how does this just enable your wii to read burned games?

SwordOfZork
January 27th, 2007, 17:28
Edit: This is where you receive your first infraction for piracy discussion.
-The Cap'n

Vegetable
January 27th, 2007, 18:40
It is a good thing the staff of DCemu take an interest in keeping piracy off of the site!

Accordion
January 27th, 2007, 21:31
HAHAHAHAHA. Wraggster has made it extremely clear that he is in fact 100% for piracy. Just look at the goddamn newspost; the absolute last thing someone anti-piracy would post on their news site.

Face it, kids. Wraggster's a pirate who wants to make money off his website through whatever means necessary and not have any legal repercussions.

at last! A name most fitting!!!

the reason this information has been posted is the possible ability to modify the Wii console. if such modifications are possible then homebrew on the Wii could be a reality.

_Mazza_
January 27th, 2007, 21:32
Edit: No need for this information. Also considering it is purely speculation there is no need to spread it around eh?
Verbal warning: Don't even discuss it please.
- The Cap'n

Mazza
January 27th, 2007, 21:33
Features

1) Bypasses Drive Security Check

That is it ladies and gentlemen, by soldering 5 wires to your drive's circuit board (read: drive and not wii's).

This will allow you to play your "backups" burned on to regular DVD+R, DVD-R single layer discs, I believe Costello from gbatemp, the only thing putting me off is that the actual hardware can be bought for about £1 and with a usb programmer and the dumped firmware you could make your own.

that was me used wrong username

EDIT: One username per person. I will do you a favor and ban the other one so you wont forget which one to log in on in the future. You're welcome.
-The Cap'n

Vegetable
January 28th, 2007, 05:46
the reason this information has been posted is the possible ability to modify the Wii console. if such modifications are possible then homebrew on the Wii could be a reality.

You keep telling yourself that, kid.

Man
January 29th, 2007, 00:16
lol, i do love the fact that the news post is a bout piracy, most people come off as anti-piracy, esecially here, but in all reality there just hypocites. I am. PSP piracy is soo easy its not funny. that doesnt mean its right, but o well.

Edit: It is also easily to discuss, and on DCemu, discussing it will result in a ban. Keep this in mind!
- The Cap'n

Cap'n 1time
January 29th, 2007, 04:55
Apparently the boss wants to keep this thread up. While there is nothing "warezy" about the news post, that wont prevent me and other mods from raining down "hellfire" (which is apparently 1 word) on anyone who wishes to discuss shady views. Keep this in mind when you post.

Jenksie
January 29th, 2007, 19:15
I really wish Nintendo had released the Wii as a multi-region console, that would have removed a lot of the need for chipping.

quzar
January 29th, 2007, 20:49
I really wish Nintendo had released the Wii as a multi-region console, that would have removed a lot of the need for chipping.

And would have made things a lot more problematic for themselves. There are reasons for region restrictions.

omegagungun
January 30th, 2007, 20:50
O.K., what would be the problem with free regional consules???? I had two XBOX modden, ine in spain and the other at the states because of the electricity and I had them modden becuase of the reginal issue, Can you see the the big issue that I had with it???? the came cube just had the freeloader and that it. ALso, is this as good as it gets??? I was hopping to see a modchip that could make the wii play DVD-R+RW movies and so on. but if this chip is good, is like buying a game but you get to down..... co..p..y. What I am saying, make all the backups needed to play the games that you re..n..t owned. I will wait for a chip that is regional free and lets me play DVD movies.

Cap'n 1time
January 30th, 2007, 21:13
O.K., what would be the problem with free regional consules???? I had two XBOX modden, ine in spain and the other at the states because of the electricity and I had them modden becuase of the reginal issue, Can you see the the big issue that I had with it???? the came cube just had the freeloader and that it. ALso, is this as good as it gets??? I was hopping to see a modchip that could make the wii play DVD-R+RW movies and so on. but if this chip is good, is like buying a game but you get to down..... co..p..y. What I am saying, make all the backups needed to play the games that you re..n..t owned. I will wait for a chip that is regional free and lets me play DVD movies.

It is obvious that english is your first language, so i dont completely understand what you are saying. I dont think their will be a chip to allow DVD movie playback, however, in japan A special consoles that does have DVD playback is being made. I doubt its region free. It might not play standard NTSC or PAL dvds. I assume NTSC-J and NTSC are different, but i dont know.

quzar
January 30th, 2007, 21:35

The reason regional divisions will stay for a few reasons: different display output standards (PAL, NTSC, Secam, variants), different major languages spoken in the regions, different power schemes (only hardware related), different revisions boards for the ratings of games (ESRB, ... whatever is elsewhere), content blocking (most games in germany in the past were not allowed to show blood), marketing (you don't want to have to compete with your own game that isn't tailored to the region. for instance, japan gets many 'artbook' style games that simply would not sell well in the US, if they were to commonly flood shelves just for stores to have a better selection it would detract from the influence that a company's marketing can have for their product), import laws (there are problems that arise if all consoles were open and importation was more standard), and finally currency exchange (depending on what region you're in, you could just import whatever other version, which would make it difficult to control both circulation and target audiences for marketing).

Basically console, and movie regions are here to stay for the forseeable future.

Also, 1x, there is no actual NTSC-J standard. That is something used I believe only for video games simply to indicate that it is an NTSC formatted game, but that it is for Japan as opposed to NTSC-U which indicates United States.

Cap'n 1time
January 31st, 2007, 16:14
Also, 1x, there is no actual NTSC-J standard. That is something used I believe only for video games simply to indicate that it is an NTSC formatted game, but that it is for Japan as opposed to NTSC-U which indicates United States.

Thanks for explaining. Are the standards in place to prevent piracy and importing and outrageous prices or because the refresh rate of the TV's are different? I never understood this.