PDA

View Full Version : Map Sharing

Slamma
January 28th, 2007, 10:35
I would have thought it would be a good idea to share maps but noone has suggested it yet.

Has anyone got a torrent site or FTP site we could post our maps to for all? And before someone suggests it I'm not a big fan of sites things like rapidshare, especially for files as big as what we are talknig about.

I have 3 maps so far I' would be willing to share: Hobart, Tasmania. North East and North West Tasmania.

I will soon have Townsville, North Queensland done too.

PS

Great work Deniska, in7ane and contributors.

justcerfin
February 23rd, 2007, 17:47
I need a complete map of California if anyone can get that. I have a 1 gig memory card that will be dedicated to just that map. Thanks.

MIB.42
February 23rd, 2007, 19:13
I need a complete map of California if anyone can get that. I have a 1 gig memory card that will be dedicated to just that map. Thanks.

I have the bay area with so-so details and the size is 220MB. I also have it in a very nice detail and it is 2.74GB.

I guess you are not looking for a street-level map for the whole California, right?

justcerfin
February 27th, 2007, 10:28
wow, I was but I didn't realize the thing would be that huge. I thought all of California would be like a gig or so. If I can just get the one you have for the bay area it would be nice if you don't mind. Thanks

wpuig02
March 10th, 2007, 06:34
can any one post california arizona and texas

Arceon
April 5th, 2007, 15:08
How do you go about making maps? I dont see any for england anywhere so i'd definatley be up for making some and uploading them!

nuclear_j
April 5th, 2007, 19:56
How do you go about making maps? I dont see any for england anywhere so i'd definatley be up for making some and uploading them!

This is from rhygin's FAQ---->

GMDL Tips&Tricks

Creating Maps with GMDL Thx to zsc
. Download and extract gmdl0.4.8b, all the files needed for GMDL to run are in '\gmdl0.4.8b\GMDL\bin\Debug' folder.
2. Execute 'Global Map Download Tool.exe'.
3. Using the Google map view, navigate to the area desire.
4. Click 'Advanced' button in the lower left corner.
5. In the box that shows up, click 'Get Numbers'.
6. Select the type of map from the list on the left.
7. In the Advanced box, select 'Preview', verify that the area shown in the center box is the one you want, if not, click 'Browse' tab, adjust the map (zoom in, zoom out, move it around), click 'Get Numbers' and 'Preview'.
8. Set the minimum zoom level, for MapThis! to work properly, zoom level must be greater or equal than '-2'.
9. If you want 'geodata.dat' to be added to the map, check the box 'Add GeoData.DAT (US only)', for US maps ONLY.
10. Click 'Set Dir' up top and choose the destination where map will be saved, must begin with '_' (underscore character), ie. '_Los Angeles'.
11. In the Advanced box, click 'Pull Files'.
12. A window will pop up, select zoom levels that you want in the upper left corner, only the checked zoom level will be downloaded.
13. In the 8x8 grid, uncheck any area that you dont want to download a detailed map for.
14. Click the bar on the top.
15. Sit back until map is created, place it in 'mapViewer\maps\' on your PSP.

Creating point to point routes with GMDL
1.Start gmdl
2. Open directions
3. Activate local.live, google or yahoo
4. Choose appropriate site i.e de.maps.google.de for Germany
(map24 is disabled at the moment)
5. Enter Starting point:
PLZ(Zipcode) Strasse(street)
e.g. 76726 An Deroy 22
6. Enter Ending point
PLZ(Zipcode) Strasse(street)
e.g. 76726 reduitstrasse1
7. Click on „Route Berechnen“ (calculate route)
you may skip this step but then you won`t see the calculated route in gmdl
8. Once route has been calculated click Button „Get Values“
9. Activate the „create intermittant“ function and leave the default value, otherwise you will only have the most important waypoints in your map and it won’t look like an outlined route from start to end.
9. Click Button List
10. enter a name for the route
makesure it starts with _ i.e. _myfirstroute
11. click Button „Save POI“
12. copy generated file to the mapfolder you are using
You will find the generated file in the same folder as the „Google Maps Download.exe“

Making smaller maps Thx to monkeyboy1982
A couple of tips to decrease the size of your maps:
1.Create map using "no GPSFS" option.
2.Do a search within the resulting .PNG files for any files less than 300bytes in size.
3.Delete all of these files. They are 99% useless as they tend to be tiles containing only one colour, or useless information.
4.Batch process all other .PNG's using Photoshop or other image batch processor, making sure you compress the files as much as possible.
5.Finally recompress all the files using ->GPSFS in GMDL software.

bandit
April 6th, 2007, 04:34
If anyone has NY maps, I'd appreciate it. We should get one of all the states have like a archive of some sort.

Ranmax09
April 6th, 2007, 06:25
Could someone please upload a US, or California map??

nuclear_j
April 8th, 2007, 18:08
I would have thought it would be a good idea to share maps but noone has suggested it yet.

Has anyone got a torrent site or FTP site we could post our maps to for all? And before someone suggests it I'm not a big fan of sites things like rapidshare, especially for files as big as what we are talknig about.

I have 3 maps so far I' would be willing to share: Hobart, Tasmania. North East and North West Tasmania.

I will soon have Townsville, North Queensland done too.

PS

Great work Deniska, in7ane and contributors.

Okay so I'm willing to use my website's bandwith to do this. But I just want to make sure that some unscrupulous bozo does not hack my website and Effs me in the A. ;) What are some good resources on how to set this up? I'm computer literate but I have not done anything like this before.

Savaage
April 10th, 2007, 11:35
Yah i think having a localized area for people to just get ready made maps would definitely encourage more people to try MapThis! I definitely need help getting California, more specifically Southern California. Thanks

azure406
April 16th, 2007, 16:32
I have the bay area with so-so details and the size is 220MB. I also have it in a very nice detail and it is 2.74GB.

I guess you are not looking for a street-level map for the whole California, right?

Hi MIB.42, I really need bay area's map(either one is ok), did u upload it somewhere? Appreicate it.:thumbup: :thumbup:

deniska
April 16th, 2007, 16:55
Gents!
Just a reminder....

please do not post maps or links to them in open forum. This is against Google (and some others) TOS agreements and therefore may get dcemu in trouble.

nuclear_j
April 19th, 2007, 09:07
Gents!
Just a reminder....

please do not post maps or links to them in open forum. This is against Google (and some others) TOS agreements and therefore may get dcemu in trouble.

Who knew? Good call Deniska :thumbup:

megagab
April 19th, 2007, 21:36
I have a detailed map of Montreal (Canada) and it's surroundings.

Contact me if you want it.

Ranmax09
April 19th, 2007, 22:59
Nevermind

EGranuloma
May 15th, 2007, 17:14
Hello,
If anyone has good maps of New York and would like to share, I could look into setting up a share site.
It would be for limited users and the accounts would be for specific maps.

Please let me know if people would like to set something up.

r2000
May 15th, 2007, 17:28
I do not see the need for sharing maps.
You can download any area of your choice using GMDL.
So it may take time but it will still take time to download it from someone else's site.

Baboon
May 15th, 2007, 17:36
If anbody has got any maps of the uk then please pm me?

:)

killer@all
May 16th, 2007, 12:05
has any body got any maps of germany, if yes please pm mich please
ady

EGranuloma
May 17th, 2007, 20:33
I do not see the need for sharing maps.
You can download any area of your choice using GMDL.
So it may take time but it will still take time to download it from someone else's site.

Um, how about this, Its hard as F*** to make maps.

dreetje9
May 17th, 2007, 23:20
Um, how about this, Its hard as F*** to make maps.

sherades http://www.motor-forum.nl/global/smileys/pompom.gifhttp://www.motor-forum.nl/global/smileys/puh2.gif

OT: Check this (http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/) for a tutorial to make maps.

It isn't that hard to create a map once you've read it http://www.motor-forum.nl/global/smileys/no.gif

FatesWebb
May 18th, 2007, 21:29
can any one post california arizona and texas

I have DFW TX, at full detail, it is about 700mb... (size on disk, when I zip it up I think it is like 368mb

I dont know where you want it upped to

RD

skruff77
August 3rd, 2007, 05:01
i would like a California and Nevada map.

BJdesk
August 9th, 2007, 17:50
guys, do you have a map of Jakarta, Indonesia?? thanks

smoot2poo
August 9th, 2007, 18:34
Kiddies read the tutorial on the gmdl. It isn't that hard to figure out. Then you can make maps of any place in the world!!!!

PDG
August 10th, 2007, 14:08
Kiddies read the tutorial on the gmdl. It isn't that hard to figure out. Then you can make maps of any place in the world!!!!

Yeah if my MOM can do it so can you :thumbup:
Just follow my guide that is posted in my signature ;)