PDA

View Full Version : Little John NES module for PSP - Proof of Concept

Tinnus
January 29th, 2007, 16:36
This is the PSP version of the NES module in the Little John emulator collection (formerly known as LJP or LJZ for PalmOS). It's currently undergoing a complete re-work and that includes a PSP port :)

Yes, eventually the full Little John suite will be available for the PSP too in its new and shiny version :)

But, for now, I bring to you only the NES module--not that it means little though.

Features:
- Full speed (@333Mhz and v-sync ON)
- Full screen
- Full sound at 44 KHz
- Full controls (D-Pad, X = A, O = B)
- Biggest mapper and overall compatibility ever (I'm yet to find a game that doesn't work)

Does NOT feature:
- Any type of configuration. Remember, this is a POC, not a full-fledged emulator with bells and whistles. The final version will have all the bells you want.

Instructions:
- Place the % and non % directories in /PSP/GAME if you're in 1.5 or /PSP/GAME150 if you're in 2.71SE or 3.0X OE.
- Place a NES rom file in the non % directory and call it myrom.nes.
- Launch it and play :)

Remember this is basically only to show off the potential of both the new LJ framework and the NES module itself... but it's still fun to play anyway :)

Technical addendum: The PSP port, with all it has, was done in less than a day (while doing other stuff). I suppose once I get the other modules working, they could be ported as easily as this one.

GPL addendum: I do know the NES module in LJP is GPL'ed but I have a reason not to put the source up for download... besides being lazy, the framework code is still being heavily worked on. Although if someone politely asks for it, I won't refuse. But I repeat myself--it's pointless for now since it's completely WIP at the moment. If you just want the code for the NES emulator, get the sourcecode from LJP at http://www.little-john.net . Thanks for your cooperation :)

Download and Give Feedback via comments

gr42178
January 29th, 2007, 16:56
What else is in this "Little John emulator collection " I have never heard of it...

scarph
January 29th, 2007, 16:58
we have a full speed nes emulator with perfect compatibility, its called nester

and you can use wifi with it too

Tinnus
January 29th, 2007, 17:09
If you don't get the point of it, don't complain. This is not meant to be a "I have a better NES emulator" notice. It's just to show the WIP for LJ.

Makes me wonder if it was worth it to post it here.

gr42178: Check http://www.little-john.net . It's formerly a collection of emulators for PalmOS.

ab88
January 29th, 2007, 17:10
we have a full speed nes emulator with perfect compatibility, its called nester

and you can use wifi with it too

We all know that. Not nice of you.

He could be just polishing his 1337 skills (like he said he worked porting for a day and succeded). Besides its nice to have options, you never know what could come of this.

scarph
January 29th, 2007, 17:35
i understand that it was a silly palm os nes emulator....but who cares, we have a perfect emulator

use your 1337 skills making a good n64 emu or something

gr42178
January 29th, 2007, 17:43
i understand that it was a silly palm os nes emulator....but who cares, we have a perfect emulator

A multi game emulator wouldnt be a bad thing. Dont discourage people from working on stuff. Nice job Tinnus :thumbup:

Tetris999
January 29th, 2007, 17:48

How bout you just shove it, seriously this is a proof of concept from a coder that knows more about coding an emu then you could ever know

its a proof of concept you inconsiderit bum, we can expect much from from tinnus, like your n64 emu hes just trying to prove to himself that he can port the system

and i hope we dont expect people like you ranting on that something is useless, dont like it then get the HELL out of here

great work tinnus hope your port some more consoles

LC_killer
January 29th, 2007, 17:48
i agree nice job. no need to flame like a child. i think it has been a while since there was another nes made. i cant wait to see the final product. what are the other emulaters on the orignial?

carpy
January 29th, 2007, 17:51
If you don't get the point of it, don't complain. This is not meant to be a "I have a better NES emulator" notice. It's just to show the WIP for LJ.

Makes me wonder if it was worth it to post it here.

gr42178: Check http://www.little-john.net . It's formerly a collection of emulators for PalmOS.

You mean the one you took over from Yoyo and then promptly abandoned?

weirdelf
January 29th, 2007, 18:00
i agree nice job. no need to flame like a child. i think it has been a while since there was another nes made. i cant wait to see the final product. what are the other emulaters on the orignial?
* Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
* Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)
* Nintendo Gameboy/Gameboy Color (GB/GBC)
* Sega Genesis/Megadrive
* Sega Master System (SMS)
* Sega Game Gear (GG)
* Bandai Wonderswan/Wonderswan Color (WS)
* NeoGeo Pocket/NeoGeo Pocket Color (NGP)
Great job Tinnus can't wait to see the finished version

shadow77
January 29th, 2007, 18:01
nice WIP Tinnus :)

Tinnus
January 29th, 2007, 18:03
I didn't abandon it, I just took a rather long break after working some months and 3 releases on it (you can see I'm always active in the forums). I felt it didn't lack much except for bug fixes, and that would be done for the re-work--which I'm doing now and was planned since a year ago. I was just occupied with other things last year and lost interest a little on this project.

Also, to be clear, I didn't "took it over" from yoyo. I started just helping him but then both he disappeared and I lost interest. It's not like he stopped hoping I'd continue and I stopped on purpose just after. Moreover, it's a free and open source project, so anyone interested could work on it if he/she wanted.

I thought people would be happy because although yoyo seemingly teleported to another planet, and I had lost interest in the project, I had resumed work on it. Maybe I was wrong and everyone prefers it to continue on halt.

Tell me if this is the case, I'll be more than happy to spend more time living. Or maybe dumping the PSP version altogether and spend time with the PalmOS/Zodiac or GP2X communities who seem to be just a tiny bit more supportive...

edit: thanks for the support from those who gave me, though :)

weirdelf: Yep, that's the list of currently emulated systems in LJP. But this revision will add several new systems as well, some of which I'm pretty sure the PSP lacks.

tophead420
January 29th, 2007, 18:17
im at a loss for for this means (other then its an nes emu) but great work man lol

Mr.Modem
January 29th, 2007, 18:17
Please don't leave Tinnus! There are still some people (myself included) left in the PSP who appreciates new emulators. I hope you release more LJ modules in the future.

waco13
January 29th, 2007, 18:29
Tinnus you are awesome for doing this, can never have enough emus in my opinion, thank you in advance for all the hard work that is going to go into this project.

porchemasi
January 29th, 2007, 18:35
nice work ... but make like a Sega CD or Saturn or N64 emu ... :) But good work nonetheless

gr42178
January 29th, 2007, 18:45
I didn't abandon it, I just took a rather long break after working some months and 3 releases on it (you can see I'm always active in the forums). I felt it didn't lack much except for bug fixes, and that would be done for the re-work--which I'm doing now and was planned since a year ago. I was just occupied with other things last year and lost interest a little on this project.

Also, to be clear, I didn't "took it over" from yoyo. I started just helping him but then both he disappeared and I lost interest. It's not like he stopped hoping I'd continue and I stopped on purpose just after. Moreover, it's a free and open source project, so anyone interested could work on it if he/she wanted.

I thought people would be happy because although yoyo seemingly teleported to another planet, and I had lost interest in the project, I had resumed work on it. Maybe I was wrong and everyone prefers it to continue on halt.

Tell me if this is the case, I'll be more than happy to spend more time living. Or maybe dumping the PSP version altogether and spend time with the PalmOS/Zodiac or GP2X communities who seem to be just a tiny bit more supportive...

edit: thanks for the support from those who gave me, though :)

weirdelf: Yep, that's the list of currently emulated systems in LJP. But this revision will add several new systems as well, some of which I'm pretty sure the PSP lacks.
I didnt know you were involved in the SNES emu, havent heard anything about that one in a looooong time.

fistikuffs
January 29th, 2007, 18:54
Sounds good to me. More homebrew too play with. looking forward to the suite!

O-bake
January 29th, 2007, 19:07
Wow :D

Thank you, Tinnus, for working on LittleJohn.
I played hundreds of hours with LittleJohn GP32, which "only" was a NES-emulator.

Nice surprise.

opiate81
January 29th, 2007, 19:19
Great work Tinnus!! please keep it up!!
the more emu's the merrier!!

youre a braver man than I .. I wouldnt release anything until this scene is like the XBOX and DC scene where the people left are real homebrewer's and not just 15 yr olds who want more and more that they wont use

again good job :)

gunntims0103
January 29th, 2007, 19:28

Uncool :mad:

Don't flame, you of all shouldn't as i don't think you know how to code. Any homebrew is okay in my book. A nes emulator is a + for me.:)

Do it again and i will give you a infraction :mad:

-back on topic-

Thanks for the news post tinnus :) I hope this runs mike tysons punch out well as nester couldn't run it perfectly (minor graphical glitches and crashes).

StealthCP
January 29th, 2007, 19:39
Excellent work - I'm glad on people porting libraries as well as just apps for the PSP - look where SDL got us :D

With Little John, we should be able to have a faster development cycle. It will be interesting to see how well this emulator turns out - I'm giving more marks for UI on this one (not yet, I mean future releases) as I find NesterJ's interface just a little on the boring side :( making me less likely to play these excellent games :p

NesterJ is not as good as it could be. It can only run most games full speed at 222Mhz. Why not 200? Or 180, look at MMSPlus, it seems to be the most efficient small console emulator - the amount of playing hours you can get out of it is unbelievable :D

Any new emulators are welcome, and I'd be inteested top see the capabilities of this Little John - I'm looking at a GBC emulator that supports IR and/or serial port emulation - PEOPLE WANT POKEMON BATTLES IN MY SCHOOL :F

Hopefully we'll see more of this in the future. Until then - I will be downgrading everyone's PSP for them \m/

240-185
January 29th, 2007, 20:07
Why not making a decent Amstrad CPC emulator ? :D

NesterJ is not as good as it could be.
Some roms don't work with Nesterj (They are some underground Chinese roms with a crappy programming, but it is still funny to discover such games :D)...

MKSmoke
January 29th, 2007, 20:51
Keep up the good work!!!!
keeps crashing my psp anyone get this to work?

mavsman4457
January 29th, 2007, 20:53
Tinnus my friend! I am so glad to hear this news and I, like you, have taken a break from LJP for a while. About a year ago I was extremely excited by LJR and the new *** emulator that would be added to it. Although it took me many overinformative hints to find out what *** was, I finally did. After I was excited about LJR and checked up on it everyday, I became excited by my brand new PSP, which I only purchased because it was $100. Then my excitement was taken away from LJP/LJR for a while but I still kept it in the back of my mind. Later on I realized that LJR is a multiplatform set of emulators and not just for Palm OS, thus redrawing my excitement for LJR. Now that you have posted this great news about your beginnings of LJ for PSP I am extremely intrigued and cannot wait for even the smallest updates. Good luck in all of your coding and once again I am very excited to try out your upcoming releases. By the way good luck on PSX4Palm, although I don't use my Zire 72 anymore, I have given it to my dad, I still try to keep up to date on LJP and I can't wait to hear about any release info. Don't worry about what people say here because most of them don't know anything about you or LJP thus they can't appreciate your work. Good luck.

Edit: By the way people, LJR is a multiplatform emulator compilation so keep your eyes peeled for the PC version, which I am almost as excited for as the PSP version. And if any of you want to talk about this or hear more news, the main site for LJR, LJP, and SNES9xTYL is right here http://yoyofr.proboards44.com/index.cgi

Edit 2: Sorry I keep thinking of new things about this because I can't wait. Is there going to be a version for Linux so we can play LJR on PS3?

jpolz
January 29th, 2007, 23:15
LJZ was the primary reason for keeping my Tapwave Zodiac.

Good work Tinnus!

Hopefully this includes a ground-up revamp of the SNES core.

Tinnus
January 29th, 2007, 23:31
Edit 2: Sorry I keep thinking of new things about this because I can't wait. Is there going to be a version for Linux so we can play LJR on PS3?
Once the final thing with source is out, the SDL version would pretty much compile anywhere with a SDL installation--I suppose PS3 Linux included.

Now, that would be fun :)

I might do a PS2 version too, as soon as I get my PS2 mod-chipped to run homebrew :)

eruditejok3r
January 30th, 2007, 00:21
Now that PSP can be downgraded from 3.03 , now more than ever is easy to hack a PSP. Although NesterJ is a great PSP NES Emulator... it hasn't been updated in a while. In other words... Thank you so much for this and hope you keep making more releases. I bookmarked your website to keep checking for new releases.

Blade Hunter
January 30th, 2007, 01:29
Awesome stuff Tinnus. An all in one emu would definately find a home on my PSP. The NES shots look great, keep up the good work.

PsychoSync
January 30th, 2007, 02:03
That's a great project Tinnus, keep up the good work! And don't let bad comments affect you, there must be a lot of kids on this forum... How do you think LJ's SNES emulation will be? Better then Snes9xTYL?

ataribob
January 30th, 2007, 02:03
Funny
All it does is give me the Blue Screen of death when I try to run it in "game150" folder

Do I need to put a game it it first?

Tinnus
January 30th, 2007, 02:35
Funny
All it does is give me the Blue Screen of death when I try to run it in "game150" folder

Do I need to put a game it it first?
Did you read my post?

Put a game called myrom.nes in the eboot folder.

That's a great project Tinnus, keep up the good work! And don't let bad comments affect you, there must be a lot of kids on this forum... How do you think LJ's SNES emulation will be? Better then Snes9xTYL?
Same or better. I'll base the SNES module on Snes9xTYL (which, in turn, is derived from LJP in the first place). So everything will come together in a single nice SNES emulator for your folks--and, of course, I'll keep the PSP-specific stuff inside :)

I may even do some more work on "needed" parts of the SNES emulator for the PSP specifically. Let's see what comes next :)

pSpFrEaKK
January 30th, 2007, 02:37
Cant wait for a real one to come out :eek:

ataribob
January 30th, 2007, 03:34
myrom.nes

Still screen of death :mad:

mavsman4457
January 30th, 2007, 03:53
Tinnus you are the man. Thank you so much. This is a great project and I know I've said this a thousand times, and it reminds me of an SNL skit with Chris Farley, I'm just so excited about this.

Edit: And you don't plan on adding in *** do you? Just wondering.

Tinnus
January 30th, 2007, 12:22
No *** because that would be useless.

I'll do *** for PalmOS separately to keep the name of the original emulator and author (not hard to figure out).

ataribob
January 30th, 2007, 15:24
Dragon_Warrior_IV_(U)_[!]
renamed to myrom.nes

Still = screen of death

dood123
January 30th, 2007, 16:00
Ya I am getting the blue screen two is there anyone who has got this working?

I also renamed a rom to myrom.nes

mavsman4457
January 30th, 2007, 20:23
No *** because that would be useless.

I'll do *** for PalmOS separately to keep the name of the original emulator and author (not hard to figure out).

OK sounds good. Keep up the good work.

ataribob
February 3rd, 2007, 02:29
I would guess the blue screen of death was a nice Joke.
No answer from the coder or anyone who found out the Fix:mad:

LilSwish722
February 3rd, 2007, 14:54
this is nice. Apparently the coder working on this has some serious skill. Shame I have heard of him before now.

adonisboy21
February 11th, 2007, 18:05
where can you find the games for the nes emulator for the psp??

juggaleaux
February 12th, 2007, 01:42
This seem relevant for this thread:

http://www.devilducky.com/media/15215/

mavsman4457
February 12th, 2007, 01:45
Apparently the coder working on this has some serious skill.

You can say that again and again and again. The end product of this is going to be one amazing app, not just ONE emulator, trust me.

pibs
February 12th, 2007, 01:55
Yea this will be good but hope it doesn't have that ram needed problem it had on the palm cuz that problem gave me headaches on the treo

pkmaximum
February 12th, 2007, 03:16
When it comes down to it Palm pilots just weren't meant to play game boy etc... Though if it has a slide out keyboard like some of the new palms, its a pretty comfortable expierence.

Mhike286
February 16th, 2007, 00:02
i know it's just a start, and this will improve sooner in the future, but i just want to know how is it that when i play punchout it runs very slow? coz i thought that it already runs at full speed. anyway, it's a VERY good project for all the psp users just like me:) keep up the good work! cheers!

note: sorry for my bad english:(

pr3dator2
February 16th, 2007, 14:37
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3000-PSP-Retro...QQcmdZViewItem

check it out guys i got many many copies like 20+ add me on msn if u want a copy or just bid !!

[email protected]

matt2k
March 2nd, 2007, 02:27
Hey Tinnus, I was wondering if you have any update info for LJP. I checked the home and not much has been happening in the forum lately.

This is something I am eagerly awaiting for.

Cheers

Tinnus
March 2nd, 2007, 14:34
This is part of it :)

Check the forums for updates, I've not been updating the website news page with the new developments (lazy).

bmanic
April 4th, 2007, 03:44
Funny how there is a lot of talk about these NES emulators having good compatibility with games. How come one of the best NES games doesn't work on any of them? It's Elite.nes

It's the best port of the original 8 bit elite ever made. Very sad that it doesn't work on any of the emulations.

Hope this can be fixed at some point in the future. Maybe Ian Bell could even provide some hints about the programming of the game for the NES?

Here is the official, free, link to the rom (Ian Bell has the full rights of the game and he released it for free a few years ago)

http://home.clara.net/iancgbell/elite/nes/index.htm

Cheers!
bManic