PDA

View Full Version : Independent Channel + burnt dvd + internet connection = Possible Linux

abeisgreat
January 29th, 2007, 19:09
Ok, i love my Wii, i think its awesome but you can always improve something. So here is my three ideas on how to run Linux on the wii. (remember none of this is based on fact it is just a theory with many "if"s)

1. With the announce of the Independent channel for wii means free legal homebrew and apps, so hopefully there will be no encryption on the games so that they can be downloaded and booted from an sd card. So if Nintendo didn't endorse a game it could still be played, so this would be an easy way to make and boot Linux. Now I would like to have it so Linux didn't do anything to the console, no messing with firmware, no installing secret drives, or shorting small jumpers, and ðhis way it could, and theres a possibility we will be able to make a (self boot) Linux game, which would boot to a linux desktop instead of the Channels

2. If its not possible to make a self booting Indy game then it may be possible to boot one and make it look to the dvd drive for info so that we could easily make a gigantic game or operating system for the wii filled with legal games and such.

3. Again use the Indy channel with a app that lets you browse the SD card and HD (when they come out) and select a place to boot from allowing linux.

4. Now you may thing these where 3 different ideas but there not, here is my boring theory with them all mixed, this will be confusing so im gonna break it down into steps:

1. First we develop an app for the Indy channel that is linux, if there is a size limit on the games for the channel then we create a game that looks to the memory or dvd drive for data.

2. Then we store our wii linux game somewhere on the HD , flash memory, or sd.

3. We later develop a version of linux that is a self boot game (if thats possible).

4 We use the internet connection to download updates and play online freeware games.

5. Then we run linux!

Ok those where my dumb ideas, so what do you guys think of them?

mastersho
February 4th, 2007, 01:52
Wow! That would be the coolest! i love linux and i love me wii! perfect combo mate! How'd you think up all of this?