PDA

View Full Version : Command And Conquer DS Clone Project News

wraggster
January 30th, 2007, 00:23
News from the CnC DS Site (http://www.cncds.worldoffokkers.nl/) of the continuation of the Command And Conquer DS Clone Project:

I’ve been thinking about some issues with the game, including legality. The old plan was to release the game with just the engine and a bunch of convertors that will take the stuff the game needs from your genuine C&C CDs. Now I think I will change the release plan a little and create a further seperation between the game engine and C&C.

I’ll release the game engine with an mini RTS that is either original in design or uses royalty free assets. Maybe just a couple of maps, handful of units and that’s it. The tools to do the C&C conversion will be released seperately but at the same time, almost as a seperate project. This makes a clear divide between the engine and the content. If the owners of the C&C IP want to stop the project then it will be the conversion tools that will be stopped and not the generic RTS engine.

It will also help modders see how the RTS mini-mod works and how the mod generated from the C&C mod works if they want to make their own. In fact anyone who wants to get involved in working on the mini-mod right now just say in the forum. Don’t worry though! I’m still 110% committed to seeing C&C on the DS!
Hmmm I guess this means also that the RTS engine will need a name… any ideas?

Heres the second newspost of the day

I’ve started to add the weapon system to the game, based around the concept of Turrets and Guns. A unit or building can have a turret mounted on it, which can have one or more guns mounted on that. The turrets can optionally have graphics (such as a tank turret) or be invisible (like the advanced guard tower missile launcher). The ‘guns’ on the turrets are where the projectiles are created (such as the end of the two barrels on the mammoth tank and the two missile launchers on the side). I think this will be flexible enough for any C&C unit and for many more unit types from other RTSs.

The turrets don’t fire yet, I’m now working on different projectile types (from bullets to lasers, missiles to bombs etc) and the different types of damage they cause, and also different armour types. This area is a little more involved than I’d first anticipated so I think a couple more days before the first projectile type is firing away happily.