PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Predictions: PlayStation 3 to claim #2 by year's end?

wraggster
January 30th, 2007, 00:26
via ps3fanboy (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/01/29/2007-predictions-playstation-3-to-claim-2-by-years-end/)

This also comes from IGN. Seems they've got all the good interviews and features to start the week out with! They took the time to give us their predictions for 2007 regarding Sony's console. We'll toss their predictions up, make our own, then turn the microphone to you guys.

Duke Nukem Forever ships at last, being the 10th anniversary of its inception
PSP's fate determined in 2007 -- new design, new features, lowered price, etc
PlayStation 3's promotional sales blitz takes on new heights
Sony goes for tilt + rumble controller, redesigns PS-Store to look more like XBL
The PS2 gets cheaper and multi-colored
Sony purchases many game studios to beef up its first and second party game developers
(personal favorite/hopeful) Many classic titles get revived, new entries revealed... cited were a new Chrono Trigger game (would we want a third title or a remake of the original?), new Lufia game (oh, please, that would be great... no more of the subpar GameBoy titles, please)... and others that would rock, like Blaster Master and Streets of Rage.
By December 31, 2007, Sony will slightly overtake Microsoft in worldwide sales.
Killzone gameplay will come as close as possible to match the debated E3 2005 trailer.
Metal Gear Solid 4 will get pushed to 2008... no surprise if that happens, really.

We predict the following: Sony will survive. That's it. The negative media attacks are starting to subside, new games are on the horizon and a worldwide launch will be realized by the end of March. From there, it's a guessing game. We'd like to agree with the classic game revival theory, too. Well, that's all we're going to stretch out and predict. What are your thoughts?

JKKDARK
January 30th, 2007, 00:37
Streets of Rage.

no please, don't make it on the PS3 :(

Good try, IGN. Nice joke.

ElRazur
January 30th, 2007, 12:45
^^ I love streets of rage......so whatchu talking about Garry?

gdf
January 30th, 2007, 13:24
via ps3fanboy (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/01/29/2007-predictions-playstation-3-to-claim-2-by-years-end/)

Killzone gameplay will come as close as possible to match the debated E3 2005 trailer.

hahahahaha, don't make me wet myself! what a pile of balls! (there really has to be a laughing smiley)

Cap'n 1time
January 30th, 2007, 21:00
IGN has sold out Sony.. didnt they pick it as their "Favorite next gen console." I think Microsoft has a firm grip around either the 1st or 2nd place slot because of the software that is already in existence, or the large scale projects that are in development. As for nintendo... well the Wii is just too cool, and way too much in demand to come in last.

F9zDark
January 30th, 2007, 21:43
Sony overtake Microsoft by next year? Well I suppose it has its merits; Japan doesn't seem to like Microsoft all that much. So Sony can pull a fast one there and rake in some needed sales. But other than that, I don't know...

Unless Microsoft does something shitty in the next 6 months to cause public outcry, I just don't see Sony overtaking them. And if they do eventually, I think it will be by a mere handful of consoles (maybe a thousand or two thousand consoles....)

Then again, the Playstation brand is pretty damn popular, and by next Christmas I suspect the price of PS3 to be dropped significantly. Perhaps on the order of 150 USD.

Cap'n 1time
January 30th, 2007, 23:14
Then again, the Playstation brand is pretty damn popular, and by next Christmas I suspect the price of PS3 to be dropped significantly. Perhaps on the order of 150 USD.

You have to keep in mind, the PS3 is sold at such a high price because the hardware is very expensive. A price drop depends completely on how cheap the parts can be manufactured.

By the end of the year, or at least 08, the ps3 should easily have some good software. Also depending on how well blueray does in the movie market is also a factor as I understand quite a few people feel the PS3 is the cheapest option to play these Hi Def Blue Ray movies... Each year more and more people migrate to HDTV's... This process is slow, but it is occurring.

I agree that by 08 the PS3 should be out of the shitter... however will the effects of the first year be dramatic enough for sony to the point where they might lose some 3rd party support?

The PS3 is on unstable ground... It is really difficult to predict how it will do at the current time. The PS3 has had a very hard time with its release and (at least in the US and Europe) it seems the majority feel there is no reason to purchase it... though many would agree a price drop would certainly create more interest for the machine.

It is the fault of sony for putting monstrous, and somewhat experimental hardware in their machine. Hell, I still think the $400 price tag for the xbox360 is a little much. I guess i've become a somewhat casual gamer over the years though..