PDA

View Full Version : Firmware 3.10 Available on US Network Update

LilSwish722
January 30th, 2007, 18:53
Sony has released Firmware Version 3.10 on American Network Update. It has absolutely no good features unless you have a PS3 and even then its just a Network Title expansion. Features listed below:

-Revisions to strenghthen security have been added.
-Support for PLAYSTAION Network titles has been expanded.
-Support for the MPEG-4 AVC format has been added under [LocationFree Player]
-[Dynamic Normalizer] has been added as a feature under [Sound Settings] in [Settings"

Shrygue
January 30th, 2007, 18:57
So, America now has version 3.10 up for grabs. I figure that the rediscovered GTA:LCS save data exploit could be patched with this official update.

LilSwish722
January 30th, 2007, 19:13
yup. thats what i figure. however, this has to be one of the most useless FWs. nothing on the feature list is even good.

Shrygue
January 30th, 2007, 19:14
I concur.

Welshboy
January 30th, 2007, 19:33
Has anyone actually tested it to see if they've patched it though?

starogre
January 30th, 2007, 19:46
Don't download it just yet. I just recieved word from Digg that this could brick downgraded psp's.

"Sony released the new PSP 3.10 firmware today, which apparently locks out some users who have used downgraded or used custom firmware. "Sony could have modified the updater to write the firmware differently. I've already heard rumors that people who've tried to upgrade their downgraded TA-082/TA-086 PSPs have bricked!" You have been warned! "

Shrygue
January 30th, 2007, 19:51
If that is true, I figure the updater checks the idstorage on the NAND flash of PSP with TA-082/86 motherboards. If there's been a modification in there not done by Sony, you're screwed.

splodger15
January 30th, 2007, 19:52
Revisions to strenghthen security have been added.

That is the main part of the firmware

mickey61
January 30th, 2007, 19:55
i stopped depending on sony for new firmware i just wait for dark alex to release his new stuff.

arapozo
January 30th, 2007, 20:00
What about this:
-Support for PLAYSTAION Network titles has been expanded.
Could this be an updated version of the official emulator?

starogre
January 30th, 2007, 20:00
i stopped depending on sony for new firmware i just wait for dark alex to release his new stuff.

well just about no one would update from DA's custom firmware to sony's real firmware, unless they wanted to use it for testing...like DA...

let's just hope DA's psp doesn't brick while trying to make a downgrader for 3.1 :P

splodger15
January 30th, 2007, 20:01
I tried Dumping it but i am getting errors it needs a modified PSAR dumper

starogre
January 30th, 2007, 20:04
If that is true, I figure the updater checks the idstorage on the NAND flash of PSP with TA-082/86 motherboards. If there's been a modification in there not done by Sony, you're screwed.

Couldn't you just upgrade to an older version of Sony firmware, like 2.8, then continue from there up to 3.10?

Jpdeathblade
January 30th, 2007, 20:13
Lol i guess sonys trying to say, my way or the highway =P, I have confidence that Dark Alex will come through with 3.1 OE, hopefully i wont have to reflash my gameboot, topmenu, and font *wink wink DA*...

I just hope Resident Evil 2 works =/

Boardman2411
January 30th, 2007, 20:20
but if you think about it for a minuite. if anyone bricks while updating. they would just send off the brick to sony and they would install the latest firmware, which is what they were trying to do in the first place.

Terial
January 30th, 2007, 20:20
I really, really, really hope sony hasn't put in a bricker in this updater. They WILL have a legal case on their hands soon if they indeed do. Remb MS tried this about a month ago or so with their 360s? Yeah, about that. Sony will REALLY *^&% their consumer base if people hear about PSPs being bricked by sony.

Isn't the lack of homebrew punishment enough sony? If they have put in a bricker, then this will be one nail closer to sealing Sony's coffin...

cashboxz02
January 30th, 2007, 20:24
I bet sony is the one who made the one trojan firmware in da first place.

BTW....Im sure DA has the UP mod in his PSP

gr42178
January 30th, 2007, 20:53
Another useless firmware....unless they made the PS1 emulator better...

SSaxdude
January 30th, 2007, 21:13
Hello firmware 3.10, can you play ALL PSX games?
Anything fun?
No?
Just more "security?"
You make me laugh :)

F9zDark
January 30th, 2007, 21:33
but if you think about it for a minuite. if anyone bricks while updating. they would just send off the brick to sony and they would install the latest firmware, which is what they were trying to do in the first place.

Yeah at a cost... Sony had an unbricking service for an update that was on a Sony site albeit out of public view (hackers found it and used it, ending up with bricks). I don't know how much Sony charged, but anyone thinking they're gonna get this done under warranty is sadly mistaken; as those other hackers weren't covered.

Now the question is, was this purposeful or unintentional?

It could have been unintentional on Sony's part. But if it was intentional, I think Sony may have a lawsuit to deal with.

E.J.
January 30th, 2007, 21:47
Hmm, it sounds strange.. i'm sure this is just some emergency update to patch the GTA exploit issue, but now again... to jump from 3.03 to 3.10...

it would be good if the Pops compatibility has been improved, otherwise its not very atractive.

we'll have to wait and see what happens with DA.

xcjzerox
January 30th, 2007, 21:51
I have the 3.10 eboot

LilSwish722
January 30th, 2007, 21:52
Basically this says that if Sony wants to stop homebrew, they are resorting to bricking their own product. This is hilarious. I can't wait for Sony to get sued.

penileartery
January 30th, 2007, 22:07
thats messed up, haha ill be pissed if a new psp has this update thats whyim getting a used one D::D

KuLeD00d
January 30th, 2007, 22:12
The bricking would be unintentional.
Also the update file would have no idstoreage checker.

Think about it. PSP's are bricking, right? . Right. To downgrade a TA-082 or otherwise yo have to modify hte idstorage, right? Right. so. Sony have simply done their usual patch. Which doesn't account for storageid. Thus bricks are happening because the firmware cannot update the PSP properly.

Has anyone investigated what model PSP's have been bricked?

guardiansnowman
January 30th, 2007, 22:12
ive just check to see if i can update my psp...and yes i can and i live in the uk...so its now out in the uk too, not just us and......the other country. lol

weirdelf
January 30th, 2007, 22:20
I highly doubt that the rumour about updating and bricking is true. Sony aren't stupid enough to render loads of their own products useless.

LilSwish722
January 30th, 2007, 22:27
...I wouldnt be to sure of that. People are buying the PSP mainly for homebrew, and they are trying to fight that now aren't they.

starogre
January 30th, 2007, 22:41
The thing is, they are bricking because people modified the psp, which technically, aren't allowed to do. If the update bricks their psp after being downgraded, sony could probably prove they modified it and give no warranties. On the other hand, if Sony can't prove it, the user who tried upgrading would have to be refunded.

LilSwish722
January 30th, 2007, 22:44
thats a good point. i never thought of that.

ACID
January 30th, 2007, 22:55
well just about no one would update from DA's custom firmware to sony's real firmware, unless they wanted to use it for testing...like DA...

let's just hope DA's psp doesn't brick while trying to make a downgrader for 3.1 :P

Lets hope not but in all essence he is a huge part of the seen so if that happened donations will have to start in a matter of seconds.

DPyro
January 30th, 2007, 22:56
Sony's not bricking peoples PSPs. Just some asshat from maxconsole who modified the 3.10 and D_A made a modified PSAR dumper which resulted in some people bricking their PSPs.

Terial
January 30th, 2007, 23:03
I don't see the big deal in dousing homebrew and patching all possible holes. I mean, if you buy a 250 dollar handheld computing device, damnit, you should be able to do any damn thing you want to with it.

Custom firmwares aren't illegal unless you use Sony's own copyrighted firmwares. There's no disclamer on the PSP that says "You cannot use this hardware to do w/e you want to with, you may only use sony's offers for this product." It may say it in the firmware, but if you use your PSP and not your firmware for homebrew, (which is what people are trying to do) then I dont see what the big deal is.

SnoopKatt
January 30th, 2007, 23:08
People are buying the PSP mainly for homebrew, and they are trying to fight that now aren't they.
I'm pretty sure the rate of people with 1.5/custom firmware is very low. On Sony's message board, it said something like less than 10% had 1.5 (back when custom FW didn't exist). Since DA started making custom FW, I'm sure more people have hacked PSP's, but the general public doesn't really know about any of this. Out of all the PSP's I've seen around town and school, only one of them has been hacked.

F9zDark
January 30th, 2007, 23:11
Can someone link to these developments so we can read for our selves?

-Updates never have run after being modified, homebrew able or not.

-Using a modded PSAR dumper will not result in bricks... If the update was placed into OE-UPDMAKER, then into OE-Flasher, perhaps bricks would occur, but I don't think people would be that stupid.

However, since IDStorage has been changed in TA-082 PSPs to allow for Downgrading (maybe IDStorage changes were introduced in another firmware to stop downgrading even more...), it seems very likely that Sony's updates could easily result in bricks from TA-082 PSPs that have been downgraded...

jonezybaby
January 30th, 2007, 23:21
im not even gonna try upgrading

Shrygue
January 30th, 2007, 23:32
Me neither, unless I had one of my PSP had a modchip installed that is.

pkmusicmaker
January 30th, 2007, 23:33
Hopefully this means the PS games that were glitchy will be fixed now. (Like Final Fantasy VIII).

-=me=-
January 30th, 2007, 23:37
just how is the gta exploit a "security hole"?
No one other than you could brick your psp through that.

Veskgar
January 30th, 2007, 23:50
Yes, its true. Dark_AleX has confirmed that the GTA Exploit has been patched with this latest firmware. Further proof that SONY has "homebrew spys" on the payroll keeping close tabs on the latest hacks & exploits in the homebrew scene.

The only thing worthy in this firmware upgrade is the possible increase in PSX emulator performance/compatibility.

So depending on whether or not the files used for the pops (PSX Emulator) can be decrypted in this latest firmware, perhaps we could have a plugin similar to the 3.02 pops plugin that lets us use the newest PSX emu from SONY with 3.03 OE-C instead of 3.10.

just how is the gta exploit a "security hole"?
No one other than you could brick your psp through that.
How it works is that it scares people. People want the latest and the greatest and also don't want to have their expensive PSP get infected with some "virus" LOL.

SONY has a very effective strategy by simply saying the word security in all of their updates so that most PSP owners will blindly update.

F9zDark
January 31st, 2007, 00:28
How it works is that it scares people. People want the latest and the greatest and also don't want to have their expensive PSP get infected with some "virus" LOL.

SONY has a very effective strategy by simply saying the word security in all of their updates so that most PSP owners will blindly update.

Even though any PSP user with half a brain will realize that security on the PSP is useless. I'd like to see a hacker gain access to things he/she shouldn't have access to through my PSP.

Then again, PSP users with half a brain will undoubtedly be running homebrew also....

Camelot
January 31st, 2007, 01:02
This is basically a quick way to get all those people who follow psp updates like the bible and dont know anything about the homebrew scene to upgrade before word gets out. Basically they figure the longer they have there most up to date fw exploited... the more of a chance that people will start learning about homebrew and all its glory.

felonyr301
January 31st, 2007, 01:09
there is nothing in this firmware to make a 3.10 oe-a, I think it's better to just make a 3.10 pops plugin so we can use the updated pops. I mean why bother with a whole new firmware if there is nothing really new besides the pops which can probably can be used as a simple plugin for us 3.03 oe guys.

Makaveli777
January 31st, 2007, 01:19
Wait is this update allowing multiplayer for Popstation because it seems so in the desription.

GobboFett
January 31st, 2007, 01:32
Custom firmwares aren't illegal unless you use Sony's own copyrighted firmwares. There's no disclamer on the PSP that says "You cannot use this hardware to do w/e you want to with, you may only use sony's offers for this product." It may say it in the firmware, but if you use your PSP and not your firmware for homebrew, (which is what people are trying to do) then I dont see what the big deal is.

If you actually read the User End Licence Agreement produced by Sony that we have all agreed to by buying/turning on our PSP's, it is ILLEGAL to use/modify ANY of the elements or part there of of Sony official Firmware. DA's custom firmware's are largely based upon and include most of the core components of Sony official Firmware modified ever so slightly to make them "better" for us users (ala Homebrew). But really you do need and are running a Firmware for Homebrew so in technical terms (which I'm sure a court would agree on) we are breaking Sony's rules and the law.

Welshboy
January 31st, 2007, 01:33
Anyone that wants to go back to regular firmware is a nutter anyway......trust me i've had mine with custom firmware for 2 days and i would never, ever go back. So i don't think its a problem.

The psp itself becomes a different machine after you let it run unsigned code. It's the way it should be.I used to play on my psp every now and again. But never as much as my other consoles....now i never put it down.

The only issue is waiting for the new version of popstation or whatever. But new firmwares always get hacked quickly. So it's once again not a worry if sony want to brick psp's for having custom firmware.

Just my 2 cents :-)

felonyr301
January 31st, 2007, 01:44
I don't think sony will ever release a multiplayer pops or in any case in the near future think about it, the only people who can play these psx games on their psp is people who have a ps3 and even then there isn't that many games out officially and alot of people don't even buy the games officially so really they won;t do one. Remember I said officially, using the custom firmware and having buttloads of psx games on the psp doesn't count!!

F9zDark
January 31st, 2007, 03:04
I don't think sony will ever release a multiplayer pops or in any case in the near future think about it, the only people who can play these psx games on their psp is people who have a ps3 and even then there isn't that many games out officially and alot of people don't even buy the games officially so really they won;t do one. Remember I said officially, using the custom firmware and having buttloads of psx games on the psp doesn't count!!

Well it would be in Sony's best interest to include multiplayer for the games that support it. Multiplayer has been, by all accounts the boon of gaming.

Single player games work, and there is a market for them, but multiplayer is what has ultimately driven the industry to greatness.

Officially we need a PS3 to make use of Popstation titles, but Sony has said that this won't be the case in the near future. I believe that the Europe launch will probably see an end to this restriction.

psp411
January 31st, 2007, 04:02
knowin ma frends @ ma skool, deyre gonna upgrade juss cuz its a sony update... even tho i tell dem about da goodness of homebrew, dey juss update... wen exam week is dun, ima c how many of dem have updated to dis n ask den wuts different
all in all, dis looks like a sstupid fw update to date by sony. even 1.51, 2.01, 2.81, and 3.01 did more den dis junk 3.10 -.-
:D :cool:

Even though any PSP user with half a brain will realize that security on the PSP is useless. I'd like to see a hacker gain access to things he/she shouldn't have access to through my PSP.

Then again, PSP users with half a brain will undoubtedly be running homebrew also....
funny u'd say that... ma frends think derye psp is "at risk" if they dont update... the seem to think psp has 500000+ viruses and hackers juss like pc's... so they update to juss to "be safe". ive tried to tell dem dat pc viruses dont even effect psp in ANY WAY cuz it aint code for psp to recognize but dey dun believe me.gah -.-

DarthPaul
January 31st, 2007, 04:33
hey! there's a real decrypter for this firmware out,made by Team C + D :D someone post it here...

Ramza042
January 31st, 2007, 04:56
knowin ma frends @ ma skool, deyre gonna upgrade juss cuz its a sony update... even tho i tell dem about da goodness of homebrew, dey juss update... wen exam week is dun, ima c how many of dem have updated to dis n ask den wuts different
all in all, dis looks like a sstupid fw update to date by sony. even 1.51, 2.01, 2.81, and 3.01 did more den dis junk 3.10 -.-

funny u'd say that... ma frends think derye psp is "at risk" if they dont update... the seem to think psp has 500000+ viruses and hackers juss like pc's... so they update to juss to "be safe". ive tried to tell dem dat pc viruses dont even effect psp in ANY WAY cuz it aint code for psp to recognize but dey dun believe me.gah -.-

Did ANYONE understand any of that post?

Come on, man, please post legible words and sentences. Is it that much harder to type a couple extra characters?

The ONLY reason I would want the new firmware is improved psx emulation, but it's not worth it. Come on DarkAleX hook us up, man. Figure out a way to make a plugin for pops 3.10. Please??

IndianCheese
January 31st, 2007, 05:00
Finally, recording live tv away from home on a portable device...can life get any better?

starogre
January 31st, 2007, 11:33
by modifying the psp, aren't you throwing the warranty down the drain in case you brick?

blackrave
January 31st, 2007, 15:34
I don't think so, starogre. Not if you modify the software (like firmware and all other mods like fonts and gameboots). I'm pretty sure, but don't take my word for it.

gr42178
January 31st, 2007, 16:09

Come on, man, please post legible words and sentences. Is it that much harder to type a couple extra characters?

The ONLY reason I would want the new firmware is improved psx emulation, but it's not worth it. Come on DarkAleX hook us up, man. Figure out a way to make a plugin for pops 3.10. Please??

Has pops been improved in this version? I guess no one will know since we cant use it :rofl:

camcorderdoctor
January 31st, 2007, 18:22
I'm pretty sure DAX will amaze us all again very soon - he has proven to be very reliable and trust worthy among the community - he has my greatest respects. Thanx Dark Alex YOU ROCK!!! I am currently @ 3.03OE-C downgraded from 3.03
:rofl: Sony's going down in a blaze! :rofl:

psp411
February 1st, 2007, 03:54

srry man... i guess its too mcuh msn language... i forget that some ppl wont really understand what im trying to say. next time, more legitable work

Ramza042
February 1st, 2007, 22:57
Alright, at least I can understand that post. :D

VampDude
February 3rd, 2007, 00:52
SONY have released 3.10???

soon they will be in the 4.xx series with the way they're going about releasing new firmwares!