PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Sony attends meeting on new N-Gage

wraggster
January 31st, 2007, 01:33
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/01/30/rumor-sony-attends-meeting-on-new-n-gage/)

People like to say the PSP is a failure. That would be incorrect. Calling the first N-Gage a failure, on the other hand, is quite apt. We reported back in November that Nokia was interested in making a comeback into the games arena with yet another N-Gage. In the era of the iPhone, a $600 convergence machine that can make calls and play games doesn't seem so outrageous. Does Nokia have what it takes to pull it off?

If Pocket Gamer is to be believed, it appears many top-name publishers are interested in Nokia's latest device. Supposedly, Nokia held a "top secret" two-day event, which was attended by big-name publishers, such as Sega, Square Enix, Capcom, THQ, EA, Tecmo, Namco, Vivendi ... and Sony. What? If this "top secret" meeting didn't seem fishy enough, Sony's presence makes it even more obvious that Pocket Gamer's reporting is downright inaccurate. Why would Sony want to work on a platform that directly competes against the PSP? (Of course, history buffs will remember that Sony did go on to make at least one game for a Nintendo platform.)

If by some chance this mysterious Nokia meeting did happen, and Sony happened to be there, we'd like to think they're simply trying to get ideas for the rumored PSP phone. The validity of Pocket Gamer's claim will be tested next week, during a new conference that will supposedly happen in Madrid.

Broadus
January 31st, 2007, 01:41
Does everything really need a phone in it?
I mean, when you buy a game console/phone thing, won't you have to use a specific service provider as dictated by the creator of the game console/phone thing since it's only meant for one service provider? Like, I got an N-Gage, but I sure as heck didn't get their service provider.

nyrtrublue
January 31st, 2007, 03:06
wow this could put a huge dent in the psp...im very intruiged

F9zDark
January 31st, 2007, 03:12
Does everything really need a phone in it?
I mean, when you buy a game console/phone thing, won't you have to use a specific service provider as dictated by the creator of the game console/phone thing since it's only meant for one service provider? Like, I got an N-Gage, but I sure as heck didn't get their service provider.

The phone idea banks on the fact that most everyone in this day and age has a cell phone. If a phone maker can make a phone that does everything someone needs it for, there is essentially a much greater market to be had.

However, phones do not and cannot provide controls useful for gaming, that wouldn't immediately make someone view the phone as a game console.

The iPhone for instance would be absolutely atrocious for gaming since its only a touch screen. There are absolutely no physical controls to it. It allows for DS-inspired touch screen games, but such innovation won't make the iPhone stand above the pack. The DS still has physical controls...

Apple is smart for making a phone/PDA/palm computer, but trying to compete with gaming manufacturers is just retarded. Simply because Sony could whip up a VOIP deal that works on the PSN infrastructure and/or create a USB cell antenna to combat the likes of Apple.

Immediately Sony would have the advantage because:

1)The PSP can actually play real games
2)The PSP has a large user base; which the iPhone does not and probably would never have because its price relegates it to the rich.

JUSTiNB
January 31st, 2007, 04:12
i'm sick of these do-it-all devices. phones should be phones, video game systems should be video game systems, mp3 players should be mp3 players.

SnoopKatt
January 31st, 2007, 04:29
It's really just conveinant to have all-in-one things. Since I have my games and music together on my PSP, I don't need to bring an additional MP3 player anywhere. And if I'm stuck waiting somewhere, I can play my games and I won't be bored. People give me confused looks when they see Atari and NES on it though haha.

Broadus
January 31st, 2007, 05:29
I like how PSP plays MP3s, though it doesn't hold very much. My mom's tiny iPod holds thirty gigabytes. That's almost as big as my puny PC hard drive, and could easily hold all of my songs tenfold!
I really couldn't imagine using a game console as a phone. As F9zDark said, the controls are often limited and don't give the full functions of devices made specifically for gaming.
Like, look at the N-Gage. It was much stronger than the Gameboy Advance when it was released in 2003, but hardly anyone noticed it or cared about it. For one, it was priced at $300 because it was supposed to play games AND function as a phone. Then, it had horrible buttons for gaming, and the vertical screen, which just plain looks funky. I was initially confused by the PSPs widescreen, but now I love widescreen. However, I've never liked the vertical screen.

Yobumtin
January 31st, 2007, 05:43
Phones are supposed to look sexy and not big and bulky. The video game portable has to be large enough to be convenient to play games on. The two don't mix. I don't want to talk on the phone while people think I'm using a car phone. And I don't want to play a portable that has such a small screen that makes me regret my purchase. (NGAGE for example.)

Uchiha Sasuke
January 31st, 2007, 09:00
I use my phone for calls and texts. I use my PSP and 360 for games. I use my TV for.....TV! And I use my DVD player or laptop for DVDs and my laptop for Internet. Oh and my MP3 player for music..... I hate these phones that "connect to the Net, play TV, hold 25 whole songs! Play shitty mobile games and transform into robots and make you garlic bread when you want it" a phone is used for calls and texts people! calls and texts! dammit I hate technology sometimes

Chuthbert
January 31st, 2007, 15:02
wow this could put a huge dent in the psp...im very intruiged
... it's an N-Gage.

Jesus, why are Nokia even bothering?!

deathspal
January 31st, 2007, 15:37
The thing that most of the manufactures need to understand is if you are going to do a feature .... DO IT RIGHT!. if your going to have MP3 give us at least 20gb of storage. if you are gonna do video give more. if your going to do games make it comfortable and easy to control. and give it good video hardware. Because when you add these features to your device consumers are going to compair your device to the best of each of the features. Oh it plays MP3 can it do it as well as an iPOD, Oh it plays videos, How does it compair to my phillips Portable dvd-player with a 16x9 7" screen and THX certified headphones, and it plays Video games. But does it control as well as my PS3 or Xbox 360 ect... and look as good (only smaller). People want ther cake and to eat it too. If your going to introduce a device as "NEW" and yet the features look like they are ripped from 2-3 generation old devices you are going to fail. IE make a phone give it the game play of a game gear then expect it to compete agains the GBA, I dont think so.... Oh and then give it the price of a NextGen console..... hah. it just wont work. I'm all for comb devices but the iPhone only has 8gb Max memory but plays MP3/Video and is running some flavor of OSX... What only 8gb and its $500-$600... OK lets give you a Ferrari and give it a 1gal gas tank. I hope the next NGAGE is better esp if they price it that high...

pt9087
January 31st, 2007, 16:06
The first N-Gage was crap.

Shrygue
January 31st, 2007, 19:21
I agree.

Dickhead
January 31st, 2007, 21:44
The only phone device that has features like a PC is the Windows mobile pocket PC Phone/Smartphone/Palm Phone etc..

chrono75
February 2nd, 2007, 04:34
Geez, I hope they do better 'cause the first N-Gage was well...Crap. Interesting Sony was there though. However, Sony is looking in the direction of the wrong crowds, haha!