PDA

View Full Version : Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (Special Edition)

wraggster
January 31st, 2007, 06:43
New Commercial game released for PSP:

http://image4.play-asia.com/170/PA.78735.001.jpg

Washed ashore on an uncharted island, Adol Christin begins a new journey in Ys: The Ark of Napishtim. Lush environments, beautifully rendered characters and animated 3D backdrops combine to create the setting for Adol's newest adventure. Now on the PSP™ portable gaming system, our red-headed hero must fight deadly monsters and menacing bosses with a variety of sword combinations, special attacks and magical spells to uncover the secrets that lie in Canaan's mysterious whirlpools.

The Special Edition contains an original dungeon "cave of seal", a character dabase, a Ys Media Player, trial mode and more.

Konami's PSP™ RPG game Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (Special Edition) is in stock today, shipping as Japanese release version at US$ 48.90 only. The official Asia release version of this game has been cancelled.

http://image4.play-asia.com/350/PA.78735.008.jpg

Game features:

Power-up three magical swords to gain special abilities and attacks
Combines real-time, fast-paced action and strategic boss battles
Unlock and play fun new mini-games with characters from the island
Play soundtrack & view character profiles in brand new modes

Buy at Play Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2pz-71-7o-74-1bc-49-en-84-n.html)

b8a
January 31st, 2007, 10:54
I almost flipped out when I saw this! This was the game I bought my PSP for, and I finally got it just a few months ago -- and a special edition is already out!?!?!?!! From the sounds of Wraggy's post, it sounds like everything that's in this version is in the English version, so I checked out Konami's official site (took for freakin' ever to find and load the page!) to see what the official details are.

Anyway the site (http://www.konami.jp/ys-napishtim/psp_special/index.html) lists the following changes:
1) Original Map Event "The Sealed Cavern"
2) Character Database
3) Ys Media Player
4) Trial Mode
5) Other:
(1) Added Quick Save Feature
(2) Analog Pad Support
(3) Enlarged Conversation Font
(4) Shortened Loading Times
(5) Password Ranking

Now, I'm positive that the English version has everything but (4) and (5) (I don't know what (5) is, but (4) is SORELY needed). Can anybody who has the original Japanese version confirm that the other features were originally missing in it?

Apparently they're going to update the site in the near future with more details, but for the time being, my head is becoming raw and bloody from all of this scratching!

yoshinatsu
January 31st, 2007, 11:02
I almost flipped out when I saw this! This was the game I bought my PSP for, and I finally got it just a few months ago -- and a special edition is already out!?!?!?!! From the sounds of Wraggy's post, it sounds like everything that's in this version is in the English version, so I checked out Konami's official site (took for freakin' ever to find and load the page!) to see what the official details are.

Anyway the site (http://www.konami.jp/ys-napishtim/psp_special/index.html) lists the following changes:
1) Original Map Event "The Sealed Cavern"
2) Character Database
3) Ys Media Player
4) Trial Mode
5) Other:
(1) Added Quick Save Feature
(2) Analog Pad Support
(3) Enlarged Conversation Font
(4) Shortened Loading Times
(5) Password Ranking

Now, I'm positive that the English version has everything but (4) and (5) (I don't know what (5) is, but (4) is SORELY needed). Can anybody who has the original Japanese version confirm that the other features were originally missing in it?

Apparently they're going to update the site in the near future with more details, but for the time being, my head is becoming raw and bloody from all of this scratching!

Hahahahahaha!!:rofl:
True enough, Nihon Falcom's games are the best!

Combustolux
January 31st, 2007, 11:49
yeah ark of naphishtim pwns i have it

geise69
January 31st, 2007, 11:51
Yes you're right. Pretty much all those are in the English version. I wonder why most of that wasn't in the japanese version? As much of an Ys fanatic as I am I don't think this is worth me spending the extra money on. Especially since I just forked over quite a bit of money on Ys Origins for the PC. Ys Napishtim was the reason I bought my psp as well. There's nothing like Ys on the go. Now if we could only have a PC-Engine emu that has good Super CD support I'll be happy. It's a shame when projects seem so close to completion then either the desire to work on it stops or something technical causes production to stop. Oh well I'm still glad Napishtim is on the psp anyways.

kpsmith
January 31st, 2007, 14:24
The original was a decent game but the load times after every small section kill the game play (and your battery). Hopefully this version really makes it better.

I even went as far as trying to rip this to an ISO just to see if it would speed up load times.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
January 31st, 2007, 15:20
cool game!!!!

gr42178
January 31st, 2007, 16:11
This is more of a zelda type game than a RPG right?

geise69
January 31st, 2007, 18:35
Yes. This is more of an action rpg rather than the turn based rpg's. I wouldn't say it's like Zelda though. This game has more simple gameplay that (to me) makes the game even more fun than Zelda. At least give it a try. I'm sure you can find the game for cheap now.

Shrygue
January 31st, 2007, 18:35
Seeing as a special edition of this game is out, I so want to get it!

Veskgar
January 31st, 2007, 18:59
This is more of a zelda type game than a RPG right?

This is an action RPG. Not really like Zelda. The battles are real time as opposed to turn-based. I really enjoy this game. I have the North American version. I converted my UMD to CSO for custom firmware and load times are dramatically reduced, if not eliminated altogether.

This has been one of my preferred RPG's on the PSP. The PSP has a very limited amount of decent RPG's if you ask me. I'd recommend this one to anyone though.

gr42178
January 31st, 2007, 19:00
Yes. This is more of an action rpg rather than the turn based rpg's. I wouldn't say it's like Zelda though. This game has more simple gameplay that (to me) makes the game even more fun than Zelda. At least give it a try. I'm sure you can find the game for cheap now.

Sounds good, I like simple :) Ill give it a try. Thanks.

geise69
January 31st, 2007, 19:20
This is an action RPG. Not really like Zelda. The battles are real time as opposed to turn-based. I really enjoy this game. I have the North American version. I converted my UMD to CSO for custom firmware and load times are dramatically reduced, if not eliminated altogether.

This has been one of my preferred RPG's on the PSP. The PSP has a very limited amount of decent RPG's if you ask me. I'd recommend this one to anyone though.

When I dumped the game I left it uncompressed. The CSO still took a couple seconds to load as opposed to 1 second at the most uncompressed. Plus I don't think it really saves that much space compressing the game to CSO. To me it's just more enjoyable when it runs with no load times like the PC version. Also make sure you clock the psp to 333 if you have the new custom firmware or are using devhook. This game was set lower than that for some lame reason. I did find out however that running the umd and clocking the psp to 333 cuts down on load times a little bit, but still puting it on the memory stick is the way to go.

Shrygue
January 31st, 2007, 19:23
People, stop talking about PSP ISOs or CSOs. It's is against the forum rules and therefore you run the risk of getting banned.

Veskgar
January 31st, 2007, 20:20
People, stop talking about PSP ISOs or CSOs. It's is against the forum rules and therefore you run the risk of getting banned.
Yeah, we are well versed in the rules, thanks! Its simply giving an example of how to maximize the use and benefits of 3.03 OE-C custom firmware. Which by the way is designed in large part to play game backups. Some games have dreadfully long load times and need to be backed up if you have the means to do so.

Would you like me to PM you a scan of my PROOF OF PURCHASE on the back of the game box. Or maybe a receipt?

Come on now!

Shrygue
January 31st, 2007, 20:26
Either one is fine with me, if you really wish to do to prove you have the UMD. However, ISO discussion is still not allowed.

Veskgar
January 31st, 2007, 21:06
Well to me, where I'm coming from is its a sign of the times. 1 1/2 years ago when UMD emulators were first introduced it was clear that they were only going to encourage piracy.

But nowadays with 4GB & 8GB memory sticks, and maybe soon a 32GB stick, as well as extremely advanced custom firmwares, etc. using games as CSO is an everyday part of PSP homebrew for 97% of avid homebrew users.

It kills me how it is "acceptable" to talk all day about converting and compressing our PSX games for use on custom firmware but when it is a UMD game, someone has to chime in about "no ISO discussion".

I'm not inciting or condoning a discussion about ISO piracy okay. I'm simply stating that the game this thread is based on plays much better when converted, as do many others.

Do you think SONY is less against us being able to convert our own PSX ISO's? They are against ALL of it. Anything homebrew is wrong in their eyes. This website is not held in some higher regard by SONY compared to others. SONY is against ALL homebrew on their PSP.

You can't take the moral high ground and condone some grey area topics but oppose others.

Ramza042
February 1st, 2007, 01:33
Either one is fine with me, if you really wish to do to prove you have the UMD. However, ISO discussion is still not allowed.

And you are telling them this why? If you have a problem with the discussion, report the post, let a MOD decide whether it's acceptable or not. Otherwise, keep your comments to yourself unless they are on topic with the discussion. Nobody likes a tattle-tale, my 8 year old son even knows that.

Personally, I really dig this game. I have the US version, and I am ALSO thinking of ripping it to my memory stick, becasue after playing it for about 30 minutes and waiting 30% of that time for it to load, I would almost rather just play my DS, at least there's no load times for any games on it.

b8a
February 1st, 2007, 10:30
And you are telling them this why? If you have a problem with the discussion, report the post, let a MOD decide whether it's acceptable or not. Otherwise, keep your comments to yourself unless they are on topic with the discussion. Nobody likes a tattle-tale, my 8 year old son even knows that.

Precisely. I don't care if you like it or not, ISO/CSO discussion is never "on topic" here, so he shouldn't have had to say anything in the first place. And you're just contradicting yourself by telling him to report the post and then saying that nobody likes a tattle-tale.

Your post would have been much more appropriate had it been directed at the people who derailed the conversation into ISO/CSO territory in the first place. This site has made it's stance on the subject clear. If you're so vehemently opposed to the policy, you have no obligation to be here, and I guarantee there are places you can go where you'll fit right in without ever needing to worry about feeling like you're being persecuted by some anonymous people in cyberspace that you'll never meet. Nobody likes paranoid, insecure people with persecution complexes.

...But, back to the topic, is there anyone here who actually owns the original Japanese version of this game???? I know there are people on this board who had this game right after it came out in Japan.