PDA

View Full Version : CycloWiz/Wiinja Not Worth The Cash

wraggster
January 31st, 2007, 19:03
As a follower of Modchips over the years i have to say that while its encouraging to see Modchips out for the Wii already the plain fact is i wouldnt waste my money yet.

Both modchips cant be upgraded, so Nintendo releases an upgrade to the Wii and well your most likely knackered.

Also one of the main reasons for a modchip for the Wii (no im not interested in piracy) is to play games from other regions on my US nintendo Wii, neither mod can do this, so yet again another thumbs down.

Now yes Gamecube Homebrew is playable on the Wii this way but that can already be done without modding your console (http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/running-homebrew-and-emulators-on-the-wii-console-tutorial-44842.html).

Now because the Modchips arent upgradeable the likelyhood of an exploit for Wii Homebrew working on these modchips is next to nil.

So for now take our advice and dont touch with a bargepole until much better modchips come along.

agree or disagree with me via comments

http://digg.com/gadgets/CycloWiz_Wiinja_Wii_Modchips_Not_Worth_Buying

Shrygue
January 31st, 2007, 19:16
Okay then, I'd better not get those modchips if they can't be upgraded.

alienanthropologist
January 31st, 2007, 19:59
agree

voltorben
January 31st, 2007, 20:43
Does anyone know, if it is even possible that there is going to be a perfect modchip someday? (with upgrades, homebrew, region free, etc) Anyone know if it is in the works as we speak?

MikeDX
January 31st, 2007, 20:53
This is a first gen modchip. I suspect better and better modchips will come with age.

the first xbox modchips were awful.. as were the first psx ones.. and ps2 for that matter.

I'll be getting one, I can't wait to take apart my wii! :rofl:

rawfodog
January 31st, 2007, 23:05
You are a moron.

These are drivechips - NOT MODCHIPS. They have nothing to do with Nintendo's firmware, therefore nintendo can't "patch" them.

Have you not watched tmbinc's speech? How can you run a hacking site without having watched that?

Accordion
January 31st, 2007, 23:17
You are a moron.

These are drivechips - NOT MODCHIPS. They have nothing to do with Nintendo's firmware, therefore nintendo can't "patch" them.

Have you not watched tmbinc's speech? How can you run a hacking site without having watched that?

lay off the caffeine...
for a first post, that was way too angry!

the main point, is these chips dont do much, and what they do 'do' isnt exactly wanted...

and besides, this isnt a hacking site.

zeromission80
January 31st, 2007, 23:20
I AGREE with "rawfodog" only not so extreme, they are just drive chips firmware updates from nintendo do not affect the drives its common sense people...

zeromission80
January 31st, 2007, 23:23
lay off the caffeine...

for a first post, that was way too angry!

and besides, this isnt a hacking site.

Oh so emulators are not hacks??? they use roms and what not from their original units to work.... thats a hack Emulation is hack... hyppocrite

Junixx
January 31st, 2007, 23:46
Emulation is more coding processed into other coding to run the architecture of the CPU, not necessarily hacking though in my point of view...

BlueCrab
February 1st, 2007, 03:12
I AGREE with "rawfodog" only not so extreme, they are just drive chips firmware updates from nintendo do not affect the drives its common sense people...Unless of course they can upgrade the drive's firmware. Or, build in some sort of detection for the chips that makes the official firmware refuse to boot.

zeromission80
February 1st, 2007, 03:35
Unless of course they can upgrade the drive's firmware. Or, build in some sort of detection for the chips that makes the official firmware refuse to boot.

Doubt it Nintendo really has never had trouble in the past with piracy, enough to take such a huge stand like that. I mean look at the DS, there are numerous ways to exploit it and the numbers in sales still increase, as do the Wii. People will buy nintendo products always!!! and will always over shadow the hombrew community (us) in financial darkness. If numbers decline then they will attack the hombrew community for fear of lost sales:D

Cap'n 1time
February 1st, 2007, 07:25
I think the entire thing is a waste of time. I think it will be likely that either software exploits will be found.. It is also possible (given the success of the GC product) that Datel will unleash another product that will allow us to go nuts.
Don't quote me on this, but perhaps due to some of the hardware similarities it wont be to difficult to modify current homebrew SDK's for the GC and turn them into Wii programs (this is not based on anything... just a thought).

It is way too early to suspect a modchip is the only point of entry into the homebrew world on a Wii console. For the time being... these products are a waste of money as they do not allow us to do what we wanted with them... Backing everything up is out of style and piracy never was in style.

bandit
February 1st, 2007, 12:32
I'm getting a chip to review. It should be available Monday

BlueCrab
February 1st, 2007, 12:37
Doubt it Nintendo really has never had trouble in the past with piracy, enough to take such a huge stand like that. I mean look at the DS, there are numerous ways to exploit it and the numbers in sales still increase, as do the Wii. People will buy nintendo products always!!! and will always over shadow the hombrew community (us) in financial darkness. If numbers decline then they will attack the hombrew community for fear of lost sales:DBut remember, The newer DSes came out with a firmware that blocked the first batch of PassMe devices from working. Proof that Nintendo has somewhat taken a stand in the past.

surge77
February 1st, 2007, 19:09
Im also not buying this modchip ... but it costs 40€ ... the same like 1 Game ;)

At least you can play all Wii games out now for 40€