PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering about this for a psp

wolfpack
January 31st, 2007, 22:10
My psp was at 3.03, then i used the downgrader, it worked perfectly, then i updated to 3.03oe-c, that worked perfectly too. But because my dad is being a dick right now, he doesnt want my psp to have the custom firmwire because he thinks it could "harm" the psp and because he didnt want me "messing" with it. So my question is, since the readme said on the downgrader "Warning: After downgrading from 3.03 to 1.5, there are some remnants of 3.03 left in flash. If you later try to re-upgrade to 3.03 and repeat the downgrade, things will break. At some later point, we will work on a cleaner that will remove these extra files. Until then, enjoy! (Don't worry, upgrading to 3.03 OE firmwares still works fine)." Will i be able to run recovery, and go to 2.71, then up to 3.03 without it bricking, or should i wait until they release a cleaner for it, then recover?... (i didnt realize my dad would be pissed):confused: :confused:

SSaxdude
January 31st, 2007, 22:33
If you run the recovery, wouldn't you just want to go to 1.5 then upgrade to 3.03 OE-C? And I do believe doing so would be fine (since you downgraded from 3.03.)

Accordion
January 31st, 2007, 22:48
erm, not that i condone this at all but...why does he need to know you still have it?

why dont you just leave it on, surely the risk of going back to regular 3.03 is the same as having a custom firmware...

Cloudhunter
January 31st, 2007, 23:06
My (dis)honest advice, is just to tell him that you went back to 3.03... Maybe use the version changer to change it to just plain 3.03, or even better 3.10 ;)

Besides, reassure him that custom firmware in no way harms the PSP, it isn't possible to do so. It is actually safer to have custom firmware, than sony's own... As you have recovery mode :D

Cloudy

wolfpack
February 1st, 2007, 03:16
thats what i tried to tell him!! but when i told him about it doing the flashing the info on the psp and a possibility of bricking, he just kinda shook his head and told me to reverse it... i swear its the most handiest thing ive had

F9zDark
February 1st, 2007, 03:44
How about this, you tell him to F off. Its your PSP, do what the **** you want with it. Shit, I'd rather my kids ****ing around with custom firmware and hacking PSPs than say HEROIN.

Yobumtin
February 1st, 2007, 04:07
My (dis)honest advice, is just to tell him that you went back to 3.03... Maybe use the version changer to change it to just plain 3.03, or even better 3.10 ;)

Besides, reassure him that custom firmware in no way harms the PSP, it isn't possible to do so. It is actually safer to have custom firmware, than sony's own... As you have recovery mode :D

Cloudy

Haha dishonest as it is...Thats pretty smart. :P. I don't see what the big deal is. These firmwares and downgraders are made by people who have just as much knowledge about the psp as sony does. And its already a done deal and nothing has happened.

Bear_XI
February 1st, 2007, 04:29
I think the best think for you is just to use the version change so you can change the firmware name: 3.03oe-C to 3.03 and tell your dad that you went back on 3.03 or even tell him I am on 3.10 by changing up to there.

Axelius
February 1st, 2007, 16:21
Just tell your dad that it is even more dangerous to go back to 3.03 than staying on a custom-firmware, as there is always the chance of bricking when you flash your psp.

wolfpack
February 2nd, 2007, 01:30
either way im just wondering, would it brick if i went to 3.03? or just downgraded from that again would it? just in case

Bytrix
February 2nd, 2007, 10:53
Just tell him the only possibility of bricking is during the upgrade/flashing process, and it's only if you do things wrong. There is no chance of bricking once you are actually running the custom firmware (unless ofcourse you start using programs that access the flash, but that's what recovery mode is for).

You should give him some links to 3.03 OE-C information so he can see why people use it :p Even if you don't plan on using ISOs or homebrew 333mhz will speed up some of your games and make them play smoother.

[additional]
Just checked your profile and you're 17!! and your Dad won't let you hack your PSP? My little brother is 14 and my Dad and I both trust him not to go messing with the flash and stuff. He even helps me debug my games and apps. Sounds like your Dad really has no idea about the PSP and should stay away from it, there's probably more chance that he'd be the one to brick it.. lol

wolfpack
February 2nd, 2007, 22:35
yea no shit, he has his own too, maybe i can sway him the other way by installing custom firmwire on his and putting road rash for psone on it :P that just might work

Zion
February 2nd, 2007, 22:51
tell him to piss off :rofl:

man no one would get custom firmware off my psp, dont take any shit :p

hodgy47
February 10th, 2007, 00:31
Just explain to him that custom firmware is as safe as official firms the custom ones are after all built from the originals with the exception that they are way better and if that does'nt work tie him up and gag him lol.

-EDIT-

I am a dad and i have just put custom firmware on my sons PSP and he is over the moon and had custom on my own PSP since the 2.80 downgrader got released (thank god)!

pt9087
February 10th, 2007, 01:30
Tell him to read this thread. and about the flash files thing. Wraggie posted something the other day. i think it was that those files in flash wernt there.
I will check up on that!

ish420ism
February 23rd, 2007, 06:28
Your dad is a joke. Keep your custom firmware and when your dad spends his money on his games, back them up and play them on your Better PSP.
Ignorance is not bliss. Your pop is a fool

JForce
February 27th, 2007, 22:01
Tell him to read this thread. and about the flash files thing. Wraggie posted something the other day. i think it was that those files in flash wernt there.
I will check up on that!

Your dad is a joke. Keep your custom firmware and when your dad spends his money on his games, back them up and play them on your Better PSP.
Ignorance is not bliss. Your pop is a fool

... Maybe best *not* to get him to read this thread...

Seriously, it sounds like if it's still working after you've upgraded it then there isn't an obvious problem. Since you've got recovery you can downgrade it again if necessary, otherwise just leave it on until something goes wrong. Incidentally, what are the benefits that this upgrade provides?

sebbe
March 10th, 2007, 00:08
have you told him about the recovery mode? just tell him the truth, that custom firmware is safer than the original ;)

SSaxdude
March 10th, 2007, 00:49
Tell him official firmwares are for women, then ask him if he's a woman.