PDA

View Full Version : Animal Crossing Poisoning The Minds Of Japan's Youth

wraggster
February 1st, 2007, 18:11
via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/animal-crossing/animal-crossing-poisoning-the-minds-of-japans-youth-233066.php)

Going to school in Japan sounds great. Not that I could have had a DS in my youth, but if I had, the chances of Animal Crossing becoming my classmate's game of choice are somewhere alongside slim and none. In fact, describing the game's "objectives" would in all likelihood have gotten my head punched in.

But not in Japan. 4CR writer Vinnk works in a Japanese school, and there, Animal Crossing is big. Too big.

This morning while I was sitting in the teachers' lounge drinking a nice cup of green tea, an announcement came over the PA system. As usual I and the other teachers tuned it out, as these announcements are pretty much the same thing every day. Then I heard something I was not expecting, the words "Doubutsu no Mori" or as we know it "Animal Crossing". Now I started listening.

Since I missed the first part it didn't make much sense, all I got was that Animal Crossing was now forbidden.

Turns out kids just aren't doing any work on their computers, instead wasting their days hitting up Animal Crossing FAQs and fansites. And the teachers are not happy:

All the students care about is that stupid game, they don't study enough.

I counter that no other game I have ever played (Stroker aside) has so prepared me for the rigors of adult life. Busting your ass to pay off a mortgage, all the while performing menial tasks for a pittance is what life is all about, kids. Learn from Tom Nook. He'll teach you more about the real world than any maths teacher ever could.

Yobumtin
February 1st, 2007, 18:45
Haha woooow. This happened to dragon quest games. :P And a few other games. That last comment's great.
Learn from Tom Nook. He'll teach you more about the real world than any maths teacher ever could.