PDA

View Full Version : DVD player in wii?

brasssmunky
February 1st, 2007, 18:49
ok
i know the wii has the hardware capabilities to play DVDs
but yet the console lacks the software to do so
so, i saw those mod chips for the wii
i see you can use burned DVDs (for playing "backup" games)
and i was wondering why they dont add to those chips, with a DVD playing function....
or..
if nintendo
would stop being dumb...
and either release a firmware update with DVD playback functionality
or wii-ware with it
either way
my wii NEEDS DVD PLAYBACK!
please respond with any feedback, or solutions to my problem...

Shane R. Monroe
February 1st, 2007, 19:47
Here is the problem with DVD playback, and certainly why Nintendo purposefully left it out.

The cost of adding MPG2 playback, Macrovision support, etc. is about $10 PER UNIT (from what I understand - that is REGARDLESS of units shipped). Lots of people already bitched about the Wii being $249 vice $199. Another $10 was something they felt they could afford to drop (after all, let's see a show of hands here of anyone without a DVD player already?) ...

Thanks to the internet connectivity, they could offer a DVD channel anytime for a fee. My GUESS is - when Japan gets the new Wii+DVD, they will gauge response and offer the service via Wiconnect24 in other regions should this go over well.

I also believe the DVD player was left out INTENTIONALLY to allow them further differentiation from "the other two" consoles, both which are boasted at "media centers" as well as game consoles. Nintendo WANTS different - it is what works for them - and seemingly they were right.

brasssmunky
February 1st, 2007, 21:58
well....
my only DVD players are my consoles...
i'd rather not have extra hardware in my entertainment center, and i want the wii to be more of a media center...
and so does most people...
i mean, theres nothing wrong with having MP3 playback abilities...
or streaming media from the PC
or having a wii-ware that is a DVD player...
i think nintendois doing themselves harm by not letting us have a DVD player in a console which has the technology to do it...

Cap'n 1time
February 1st, 2007, 22:48
well....
my only DVD players are my consoles...
i'd rather not have extra hardware in my entertainment center, and i want the wii to be more of a media center...
and so does most people...
i mean, theres nothing wrong with having MP3 playback abilities...
or streaming media from the PC
or having a wii-ware that is a DVD player...
i think nintendois doing themselves harm by not letting us have a DVD player in a console which has the technology to do it...

You would be better off buying an Xbox, hacking it, and putting XBMC on it, as it does everything you suggest and more.

Nintendo felt that everyone that wanted one owned a DVD player by now and thus there was no need to spend the extra money on something no one would really use in their console. To me thats a great way to save money. Nothing dumb about it.

S34MU5
February 1st, 2007, 22:50
Wii, has a DVD channel confimed for jap, most likely it will be here to.

DPyro
February 1st, 2007, 23:53
The DVD player I got here is some crap $50 one from Walmart. I'd rather use my wii to play DVDs than the $50 one.

souLLy
February 1st, 2007, 23:58
if a dvd channel popped up I'd definitely pick it up if it was cheap... it'd be nice to not have to flick between my dvd player and my wii.

brasssmunky
February 2nd, 2007, 00:26
You would be better off buying an Xbox, hacking it, and putting XBMC on it, as it does everything you suggest and more.

Nintendo felt that everyone that wanted one owned a DVD player by now and thus there was no need to spend the extra money on something no one would really use in their console. To me thats a great way to save money. Nothing dumb about it.

honestly...
if i was willing to spend that kind of moeny on this then i wouldnt be asking about anything...
and, i am not saying its nota bad idea to not have the DVD function be stock
but it needs to be at least a wii ware you can get
which someone else stated on here that it is in japan...
can anyone help me by telling me what the projected US price would be based on the jap version?

S34MU5
February 2nd, 2007, 01:55
Got wario ware today, pretty sweet.

Need to get mine online.

The DVD player I got here is some crap $50 one from Walmart. I'd rather use my wii to play DVDs than the $50 one.

In a shop called ASDA they were selling DVD players for £10 = $20 and they sold out in a hour.
But all the scots up here are pikey scum

brasssmunky
February 2nd, 2007, 02:04

actually
i might just get my old xbox out and sacrifice my existing xbox live cappabilities....
hmm, now jus tto go find my old soft-modding gear etc.

S34MU5
February 2nd, 2007, 16:56
Mod chips have a 1/0 switch dont they?

So you can still go on live...

Tomlo
February 2nd, 2007, 17:05
There will be a 2nd party dvd addon for the Wii that will be sold at stores, I would imagine it would not be all that different from the xbox dvd addon...

shadowprophet
February 2nd, 2007, 20:19
This is old news. But maybe some of you will find it interesting.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161611.html

VampDude
February 3rd, 2007, 05:18
why does'nt anyone want a games console for just playing games thesedays?

DVD playback on games consoles is'nt as good as an actual DVD player anway!

brasssmunky
February 13th, 2007, 02:49
i want it now damnit, lol
actually, i am going to mod my old xbox for media tho..
as soon as i can get my buddy over who has experience in it..
because i have heard of many-a xbox's bein ****ed by messin it up..

mesosade
February 14th, 2007, 15:40
why does'nt anyone want a games console for just playing games thesedays?

DVD playback on games consoles is'nt as good as an actual DVD player anway!

Agreed!:thumbup:

shadowprophet
February 14th, 2007, 21:54
Agreed!:thumbup:

Isn't that kind of like saying why would anyone want their psp to play psx iso's, as we already have a psx for that.
Nah. I going to have to dissagree. Some of us are huge movie fans. And Dvd playback would be a very welcome feature.

Nicko01
February 15th, 2007, 02:34
I was just thinking about this.
well, the psx on psp thing is more about portability.
I use my ps2 as a dvd player, but that thing is so loud... the wii isn't loud at all. It would be nice to have a media channel that would replace the photo channel. Think of having a dvd player, music player, cd player, video file viewer, picture viewer, picture editor, and video editor all in one channel??
AWESOME!
that would be my favorite channel (other than the game channels of course).

psiko_scweek
February 16th, 2007, 00:44
just wait for homebrew on the wii, and then we can have the channels and such. CD player, DVD player and such.

MasterChafed
February 17th, 2007, 17:10
I sure hope they call it the Wii-VD

acn010
February 17th, 2007, 17:13
why a dvd player for it? people have dvd players aside