PDA

View Full Version : PenkoDS v0.2a - MSX Emulator for DS Released

wraggster
February 2nd, 2007, 21:48
Via Ketchup site (http://deadketchup.kyuran.be/) comes a new MSX Emulator for the Nintendo DS:

Heres the translated info:

PenkoDS?
PenkoDS is an emulator MSX2 for Nintendo DS. It is based on fmsx of Marat Fayzullin.
The speed of emulation is currently 75% on average (either about 30 to 40% faster than the port fmsx of nyagosu of which I took again the management of the keyboard and the joystick).

Among the functionalities, one finds:
- A resize mode to manage the various resolutions of the MSX.
- Support DLDI
- Support of the roms and the discs
- Management of the sound (with the same problems as under CrocoDS)

Level use, it is enough for you to copy the Romanian one in the root or the /roms/msx repertory of your chart flash, patcher the nds with patchor DLDI and of launching this homebrew from your Nintendo DS

To test with the version msx bombjack of Kralizec or with one of the releases of the MSXDEV' 06.

One of the large bugs current is the impossibility of rebooter after the insertion of a disc MSX. (On the other hand, not of problem of reboot with the roms). This version is a version alpha, therefore I await all your remarks in order to improve it.

Heres whats new in this new release:

2nd version alpha. I mainly worked on the speed of emulation. The 100% are atteinds in many plays. Some bugs were corrected such as the management of the transparency in mode 2, the redundancy of the files in the selector of files,… the support of DLDI should be better. The sound too.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Metaluna
February 3rd, 2007, 08:06
It now works on my M3 SD. Vampire Killer (aka the very first Castlevania), Bombjack, Twin Bee and many more launch at 100% speed! :thumbup:

crookedmouth
February 3rd, 2007, 08:15
Truly great news, Ketchup is awesome. First CrocoDS then this.

koki373737
February 26th, 2007, 21:52
It now works on my M3 SD. Vampire Killer (aka the very first Castlevania), Bombjack, Twin Bee and many more launch at 100% speed! :thumbup:

Helllo!

It booted on my R4, but I couldnt find out how to load a game... should I put it on a specific directory? Using <select> some options appear, but neither "Autostart Rom" or "Load Disk" seem to do anything... should I use a ROM file or a DSK file?

Thanks!

souLLy
February 26th, 2007, 22:08
Helllo!

It booted on my R4, but I couldnt find out how to load a game... should I put it on a specific directory? Using <select> some options appear, but neither "Autostart Rom" or "Load Disk" seem to do anything... should I use a ROM file or a DSK file?

Thanks!

Make sure you DLDI patch the nds file and that the roms are in a roms/msx/ folder

Mikaa
February 27th, 2007, 01:05
...An MSX emulator? Now there's something I haven't tried in a while. Here's hoping this project turns out alright! ^^;

koki373737
February 27th, 2007, 03:25
Make sure you DLDI patch the nds file and that the roms are in a roms/msx/ folder

It worked, thank you! I ran Thexder. The sound was a bit off and got some slowdowns, but besides that its great!

Dark_Link
March 14th, 2007, 03:22
So, how do I go about getting the .dsk files to run?

crookedmouth
March 14th, 2007, 05:51
Patch PenkoDS with your cards dldi patch. Place the patched emulator on your card anywhere. Make a folder named roms, inside the roms folder make another one named msx. Place all your .dsk files there. So /roms/msx/.dsk files. Run penkods.

Dark_Link
March 14th, 2007, 21:30
Thank you.

Now, I still have a question, though...

I didn't need to patch anything to get the ROMs working, so I figured I'm fine as is...but, the .dsk files are supposed to load up games as well, right? I was wondering if you think patching would help if everything else is running fine.

Though I did need to load a Metal Gear 2 disk file in order to save the Metal Gear 2 ROM...but I don't remember that being all they're for.

I'll patch it anyway, just to make sure, though.

crookedmouth
March 14th, 2007, 23:27
Most definitely patch it. I think your right, it needs libfat compatibility to save and load, though I could be wrong.

Hoodlum
March 18th, 2007, 17:06
I might be missing something, but can anyone tell me how to map the D-Pad to up, down, left, right on the keyboard?

Cheers

iceman100
March 25th, 2007, 21:45
you cannot patch roms it's for nds files only why the hell do these things need patches for?

narz
May 29th, 2007, 02:57
another great emulator but hopefully by the next release that constant popping and cracking noise will go away when using ezflash V carts.

i would love to use the volume without hearing all that cracking.

F3rrY
July 20th, 2007, 09:56
Hello!

Well, this is my first message and well, I'm spanish and i need help.

I have a DS Lite and M3 DS Simply.

Well. Yesterday download this emulator and this was patched with "DLDI patcher v1.23" --> Windows version: 0.23.

The DLDI is the M3 Adapter (SD Card) but i have a MicroSD (it's the same DLDI?)

And finally, i put the emulator in MicroSD (H:\penkods-dldi-v02a.nds) and the roms in format .dsk in H:\roms\msx\*.dsk)

The problem: I run the emulator and I see MSX and down I see the MSX keyboard. I press select button but when I press "Autostart Rom" or "Load disk"... Come back to the keyboard.

I'm doing anything bad?? I don't know what can be the problem.

Help Me please :)

kinds regards ^^

P.D: Sorry if my english is bad... :_(

crookedmouth
July 20th, 2007, 12:27
You actually want the R4/M3 Simply DLDI patch here
http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/downloads/r4tf.dldi

the M3 Adapter is for the older slot 2 device.

Your rom folder looks like it is correctly placed, and I believe that the penkods.nds file can go anywhere.

Hopefully when you patch it everything will work great. It's quite good, I hope he continues the project.

Edit: I use DLDIrc, it's a patcher that allows you to choose your card DLDI at install, then whenever you right-click a .nds file it gives the option of patching. In your case the R4/M3 patch.

F3rrY
July 20th, 2007, 15:08
Ok, thank you very much for your response.

Tonight when come back to home i will try and i will say :)

I understand that the problem is the DLDI that is wrong, is it?

crookedmouth
July 20th, 2007, 15:12
Yes you were using the wrong DLDI ;)

F3rrY
July 20th, 2007, 22:08
Wow, All right ^_^

But Afterburner don't go... xDDD

Thank You very much, the emulator works :)

F3rrY
July 22nd, 2007, 12:42
Hi again.

Well, i put more games but don't work anything.

The emulator work and when I select a game and press A button, I see the msx logo and then goes to BASIC.

I tried with 4 of 5 games more but the result is the same...

The games are .dsk

I have all the BIOS files and the path of the games it's ok...

Any reply to this? It's strange... :_(

F3rrY
July 23rd, 2007, 21:30
Nobody? :_(

crookedmouth
July 24th, 2007, 02:32
I believe the compatible isn't perfect plus there seem to be alot of "bad" msx roms flying around out there.
Remember this is only the second alpha version that redbug has released and what we need to do is pray he finds time to work on all his awesome emulators again. :)

Tripsk8er333
July 24th, 2007, 04:49
WOW!! This Is AWSOME!! I think it is so cool that you can run a MSX on the NDS.

Keep up the Good Work.

I hope the sound will be better in the next version. :)

F3rrY
July 24th, 2007, 06:41
Any rom that works 100%???

Thanks ^^

crookedmouth
July 24th, 2007, 07:03
I was just playing Arkanoid, very playable.

all the loderunners work

F3rrY
July 24th, 2007, 09:21
Ok, i will try Arkanoid and then say anything :)

EDIT:

Now I read:

"Support of the roms and the discs"

Roms?? I believed that only supports .dsk....

EDIT 2:

Ok, Bombjack works ^^ The only problem is the compability of the emulator :)

Ok, thanks for all

alitica
October 7th, 2007, 04:06
Hello, i would like some help on how to patch the MSX roms for DS using R4 i did all you said and used all the tools, but it keeps on telling "there is not enough space" to patch.

Can some one plz give us some STEP by STEP on how to Patch MSX game and how to use the whol thing on a DS. R4 where what and how????
I want to use Penkods the program works fine just need the game to work.

Thanks alot!!!!!! :D

Patch PenkoDS with your cards dldi patch. Place the patched emulator on your card anywhere. Make a folder named roms, inside the roms folder make another one named msx. Place all your .dsk files there. So /roms/msx/.dsk files. Run penkods.

crookedmouth
October 7th, 2007, 04:18
So alitica, you have it working and understand how to load .dsk files?

alitica
October 7th, 2007, 04:25
actualy.... no i have no idea where dsk files are i only see the program and the roms are .msx files

crookedmouth
October 7th, 2007, 18:41
I just mean, you have got the file system working and have PenkoDS.nds patched and understand the path /roms/msx?
You have it working now, correct?

alitica
October 8th, 2007, 18:37
well all i did it download it and i drag and droped it on the stick that is it i didnt change the file or patched it or anything i just put it on there and it work..... just the games dont work but program works fine. How do i get the games to work?

Thanks

Dagangstah
October 8th, 2007, 18:48
What is MSX? :confused:

crookedmouth
October 9th, 2007, 01:56
well all i did it download it and i drag and droped it on the stick that is it i didnt change the file or patched it or anything i just put it on there and it work..... just the games dont work but program works fine. How do i get the games to work?

Thanks

You should read the dldi patching tutorial
download this
http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/downloads/r4tf.dldi

and patch it with this
http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/downloads/dlditool-win32-gui.zip

read what it is here
http://dldi.drunkencoders.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

What is MSX?
It's an 80's computer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MSX was the name of a standardized home computer architecture in the 1980s. It was a Microsoft-led attempt to create unified standards among hardware makers, conceived by one-time Microsoft Japan executive Kazuhiko Nishi. Despite Microsoft's involvement, MSX-based machines were seldom seen in the United States but were hugely popular in other markets.

alitica
October 9th, 2007, 03:39
Thanks Men Your The Best!

Mini Moose
October 18th, 2007, 20:04
Beautiful! Can't wait for the next release. :D

Chapps
July 20th, 2008, 02:24
Hi guys,

Basically, i've got the PenkoDS file on my DS, have patched it (a couple of different ways, infact) DLDI and whatever, and also have my (only rom) Metal Gear 2.dsk file in a roms/msx folder.

When i select PenkoDS on my DS it loads fine, but just comes up with a keyboard on the bottom screen and the Basic thing on the top. How do i actually play the game? Do i have to type something in using the on screen keyboard?

I've tried everything that's been mentioned in this thread but to no avail so far, and am now stuck! Any help much appreciated!

crookedmouth
July 21st, 2008, 04:57
Hi guys,

Basically, i've got the PenkoDS file on my DS, have patched it (a couple of different ways, infact) DLDI and whatever, and also have my (only rom) Metal Gear 2.dsk file in a roms/msx folder.

When i select PenkoDS on my DS it loads fine, but just comes up with a keyboard on the bottom screen and the Basic thing on the top. How do i actually play the game? Do i have to type something in using the on screen keyboard?

I've tried everything that's been mentioned in this thread but to no avail so far, and am now stuck! Any help much appreciated!

Well MG 2 runs with autostart for me. I'd look for the .ROM version. The thing is it runs very slowly. I haven't tried fMSXDS with MG2 though.

Chapps
July 21st, 2008, 21:52
Cheers for the response mate.

Got it to work eventually, just moved the ROMS out of the roms/msx folder and put them in the root; worked fine after that!

phiitboi
August 13th, 2008, 19:11
Hello

im having problems with penkods, i have m3ds real.

when i start penko it starts immidiatly making some click,click,click,clik sound and that is really annoying, needs to play without sounds :D

anyone else having this problem or fixed, i have been patched pendo .nds file.

Big thanks for those who reply

crookedmouth
August 15th, 2008, 04:23
Hello

im having problems with penkods, i have m3ds real.

when i start penko it starts immidiatly making some click,click,click,clik sound and that is really annoying, needs to play without sounds :D

anyone else having this problem or fixed, i have been patched pendo .nds file.

Big thanks for those who reply

Sound is pretty poor in this emulator. Do you experience this in every game? I have what you are describing in some games.

phiitboi
August 16th, 2008, 19:45
yea i got patched my card wrong maybe there was some bad sound drivers no it works and it is great emulator.

enigmafyv
August 22nd, 2008, 06:02
yea i got patched my card wrong maybe there was some bad sound drivers no it works and it is great emulator.

Hey phiitboi,
Could you explain what you did to fix your situation? I too have an M3DS Real, and I have MG2:SS and all I hear is clicking. I've tried patching the "penkods-dldi-v02a.nds" file with the "DLDIrc M3 Adapter (SD Card) Patch", however it made it worse sounding with louder clicks. I'm not sure after you got it working whether the game started playing faster but I do notice lag at this point.

Ultimately I want to sit down and finish this game as I've started it many times but not finished it. Once I beat this then I've beaten all of them accept for the PSP games and the GBC game.

phiitboi
August 22nd, 2008, 09:44
hello enigmah

sorry with that penko thing posted too quickly here and said its working great but
got it work about 10 minutes and it start again making that clicking sound and not stopping at all.

you should try that new fmsx 0.9 version it now works m3 real too.

i has played many games without problems knightmare, circus charlie, kings valley etc. and the souds are perfect

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104927&highlight=fmsx