PDA

View Full Version : Arbitrary Code Execution via WiiKey?

wraggster
February 3rd, 2007, 20:18
via liquidice (http://wiihacks.blogspot.com/)

As you may already know there are now 3 modchips out for the Wii. First it was Wiinja, then CycloWiz, and now WiiKey. Something caught my eye while I was looking over the specs for WiiKey this morning on Wii News...

# Fully upgradeable via DVD/disc (future proof, expect cool features to come)

Does this mean they've figured out a way to execute arbitrary code on the Wii or does it simply put the DVD drive into a special mode that passes the data on the DVD into the modchip?

UPDATE: The Update disc will likely be formatted for Gamecube and will launch in GC mode. The app will send commands to the chip to flash it with the updated code. Since the chip 'listens' and reacts to these commands, it also means Nintendo can possibly detect if you have a chip like this (WiiKey) installed in your console.

So to recap...Wii Homebrew is still not possible. Gamecube homebrew on the Wii IS possible via a modchip or through Action Replay/Freeloader. None of these chips get us any closer to Wii Linux

So there you have it

Big Stu
February 4th, 2007, 00:32
Call me a cynic, but what's with the anti-Wii chip agenda on here recently? Seems to be a lot of bashing for these products without very much research going into it first, just jumping all over the first piece of negative press you come across?

I mean, surely EVERYONE who'd have kept even half an eye on the current Wii scene (and in particular, these three chips) would know that Wii homebrew is nowhere closer to being realised, so why should this point need raising again?

the_eternal_dark
February 4th, 2007, 07:00
Call me a cynic, but what's with the anti-Wii chip agenda on here recently? Seems to be a lot of bashing for these products without very much research going into it first, just jumping all over the first piece of negative press you come across?

I mean, surely EVERYONE who'd have kept even half an eye on the current Wii scene (and in particular, these three chips) would know that Wii homebrew is nowhere closer to being realised, so why should this point need raising again?

The anti-modchip agenda you speak of is because we feel that a modchip that allows booting backed-up/pirated games will kill this console. Look what happened with the GameCube, pirates were a big cause of money loss for Nintendo.

Personally, I think the Wii is fine without homebrew. The games are solid (so far). Homebrew is the reason I have an Xbox, Dreamcast and PSP. I have a Wii, DS, 360, and Dreamcast for games.

Yes, I said Dreamcast twice.

Big Stu
February 4th, 2007, 10:56
Then surely DCemu should stop paying attention to it on the front page of the site? This is twice they've shot themself in the foot now drawing attention towards something they (and the forum's community) seemingly have absolutely no support for.

msaraiva
February 5th, 2007, 15:50
The anti-modchip agenda you speak of is because we feel that a modchip that allows booting backed-up/pirated games will kill this console. Look what happened with the GameCube, pirates were a big cause of money loss for Nintendo.

Personally, I think the Wii is fine without homebrew. The games are solid (so far). Homebrew is the reason I have an Xbox, Dreamcast and PSP. I have a Wii, DS, 360, and Dreamcast for games.

Yes, I said Dreamcast twice.

Look what happened to gamecube?! It took ages to get hacked (only in 2004, 3 years after launch). This was not the reason for it's failure.

Now...look at ps2, hacked since almost the beginning. Big failure, huh?