PDA

View Full Version : PSP v2 - One Mans Request

wraggster
February 4th, 2007, 17:35
Sony got a lot of things right with the PSP but in certain areas they could have done much better or maybe even steal ideas from the likes of Nintendo etc.

First off i would like to have a TV Out on a PSP Mk 2, the ability to play on TV or watch your UMD films on a big screen is a major plus for any console.

Secondly to cut down on load times via the UMD, it would be great if you could copy the majority of files to a Hard Drive/Memory Card so that Load times become a thing of the past but also having the checks to stop piracy.

Thirdly in the Memory Card slot maybe have the ability to use up to 16GB Cards or even a plugin hard drive ?

fourth on the list a much improved battery, we know a 3rd party battery can operate at 2600MAH why not say up to a 3400MAH battery, that way many more hours of fun.

fifth on the list would be the ability to snap on new faceplates easily and without undoing screws etc, that way you appease the modders.

sixth on the list, bring out a touchscreen for the PSP either in the DS clamshell design or a press a button and it drops design. With a touchscreen you could easily use it as a keyboard and it would be awesome for all those types of games that make the DS so damn popular but with the PSPs added power the scope for better games should be awesome.

seventh on my list would be with the inclusion of the touchscreen the ability to use it as a Phone which would in some ways mimic the Iphone by Apple but with the vast amount of games for the PSP could mean it a much bigger audience.

Lastly i would like to see some type of Homebrew support similiar to Microsofts XNA where we can legally create new Brew software for the PSP.

http://digg.com/gadgets/PSP_V2_One_Mans_Request

So do you agree or disagree with my article above or better still have ideas of your own, id love to hear them.

Broadus
February 4th, 2007, 17:43
Didn't Sony say that there was no PSP version 2 in production?

Why would it need a touchscreen? I guess it wouldn't be bad to have one, though I'd fear that they'd start pumping out games that require the touchscreen, like on the Nintendo DS.
A phone would be entirely unnecessary. That'd ruin the whole design of the PSP.
Being able to play the PSP on the TV without any weird hardware like the "projector" thing would be nice.

You didn't say ANYTHING about a second analog nub. If the PSP needs anything, it's another analog nub.

Boardman2411
February 4th, 2007, 17:52
yes i agree with all those improvements mentioned, but ther are many more i can think of. one being the ability to have 2 (or more) memory sticks.

another improvement could be the inclusion of a disk that could hold more data (for instance, a UMD using blue ray technology). this would enable larger games, and better ports from other consoles.

also, there must be more buttons. 2 "L" and "R" buttons and two (or more) analogue anubs or sticks.

the console must also be able to (without hacking or customising) play games from different regions.

the physical hardware must also be improved (if possible). like the processor could be multicore.

another thing, adding the to mentioning of the phone thing, additions such as bluetooth, and the ability to send files (such as music) in a similar fasion to phones, but not just to other PSPs, but to phones aswell.

thats all i can think of at the moment, but im sure there are more.

JUSTiNB
February 4th, 2007, 18:13
ewww...

only a touchscreen if the games don't use the crap out of it. i hate how in most ds games, they include the touchscreen somehow, and usually it sucks.

no phone.

Tree
February 4th, 2007, 18:26
no fone but i would love the touch screen that would b the bullocks :P

SSaxdude
February 4th, 2007, 18:35
Let's face it, Sony isn't going to make another PSP. The current PSP is not doing so well and is getting completely owned by the DS. I can just hope for a new GP2X that can emulate Nintendo 64 and PSX.

emuking
February 4th, 2007, 19:36
second nub that' all it needed and it would of been perfect, also yeah im to waiting for a more powerful gp2x so that i dont have to rely on the psp

StuiWooi
February 4th, 2007, 19:49
I disagree with everyone that says 2 nubs would be good, the 64 worked more than fine with one.
I also disagree that it should have a touch screen, thats a terrible idea, and is the major ruining factor of the DS (so what if a bunch of kiddies buy it?)

To improve:
-Kill loads times (however they want)
-Less file type restriction (namely play .avi)
-Some kind of mass storage
-Easily removable casings
-Provide accesories that match (not hideous white crap)

halcyon626
February 4th, 2007, 20:13
Thirdly in the Memory Card slot maybe have the ability to use up to 16GB Cards or even a plugin hard drive ?

Isn't reading off a plugin hard drive more of a firmware issue than a hardware one? If so, couldn't the firmware be rewritten? It would be sweet if we could somehow "trick" the psp into thinking the hard drive is actually a memory stick and read off it accordingly.

yoshinatsu
February 4th, 2007, 20:25
yes i agree with all those improvements mentioned, but ther are many more i can think of. one being the ability to have 2 (or more) memory sticks.

another improvement could be the inclusion of a disk that could hold more data (for instance, a UMD using blue ray technology). this would enable larger games, and better ports from other consoles.

also, there must be more buttons. 2 "L" and "R" buttons and two (or more) analogue anubs or sticks.

the console must also be able to (without hacking or customising) play games from different regions.

the physical hardware must also be improved (if possible). like the processor could be multicore.

another thing, adding the to mentioning of the phone thing, additions such as bluetooth, and the ability to send files (such as music) in a similar fasion to phones, but not just to other PSPs, but to phones aswell.

thats all i can think of at the moment, but im sure there are more.

We're talking about PSP not PS3...

PSP can't have Blu-Ray.
PSP IS Region-Free.
PSP will not be multi-core...
Bluetooth would have been good. But I doubt it will happen.
As for the L2 and R2 buttons... Just imagine a PSP with 2 more shoulder buttons behind L and R. Ridiculous...
A second analog stick would be good. But I don't know if the PSP would have been stable (in position) if you were holding both sticks at the same time.

IamAbe
February 4th, 2007, 20:41
sixth on the list, bring out a touchscreen for the PSP either in the DS clamshell design or a press a button and it drops design. With a touchscreen you could easily use it as a keyboard and it would be awesome for all those types of games that make the DS so damn popular but with the PSPs added power the scope for better games should be awesome.[/B]

I HEAR THAT! my sis has a ds and thats the only thing it has on the psp.

also the seccond analog stick would be great.

personally, i wanna see a faster processor, and better wifi.

F9zDark
February 4th, 2007, 21:29
I disagree with everyone that says 2 nubs would be good, the 64 worked more than fine with one.

But the analog stick on N64 was in the center of the controller. And the controller was designed for both right handed and left handed operation. Why, Sony would have made the PSP left handed, when statistics have shown that a majority of inviduals are right handed is just ****ing stupid.

Not to mention, who wants to use face buttons for movement? I don't care what anyone says, it just does not work, and if Sony ever wants to get the PSP known as a great gaming device, its gonna need its fair share of good FPS games, which are just not playable on the current PSP.

Here's what I think a PSP2 should have (even though Sony said there isn't one...)

-2 analog nubs
-TV out
-Hard-drive support
-Better battery
-Phone support

Why is it that I want phone support? Quite simply, I'd rather have 1 device that does it all, than 3 or 4 that do singular tasks.

If the PSP had phone support (VoIP and Cellular) then I wouldn't need to bring my phone as I could simply bring my PSP2.

This would also give a good use to a touch screen, but I'd rather have the flip down keyboard design that was in the works at the beginning of the PSP's life, but Sony didn't tell the company making it how to make it work via USB...

I'd rather have this than a touchscreen. At least then the DS fanboys couldn't say Sony stole an idea from Nintendo.

comicgeek
February 5th, 2007, 00:22
Among the things you mentioned wraggster only the TV out I think is the most practical one. The PSP in it's current feature is still expensive. Sony must find ways to bring the price down by employing a more cheaper manufacturing cost per unit while still maintaining the current features or better yet improving them and adding a few more features. It's all in the market price that will make the consumers notice the product at least.

mexicansnake
February 5th, 2007, 01:03
Cool!!!:D

DragonPimpsta
February 5th, 2007, 01:41
screw that touchscreen idea... but an addon keyboard or addon touchscreen that hooks to the usb to make typing easier for games, would be awesome.... just no on the psp... if my psp became simliar to the ds i'd not pplay it cuz i'd feel gay

Broadus
February 5th, 2007, 05:59
What about a device that would connect the PSP to the TV and treat it as an in-home console, coming with three PSP-shaped controllers and a ton of extra power so that one PSP and one game could allow for four players to play splitscreen "Ad Hoc" on one TV?
That would be the bee's knees.
Or just one PSP-shaped controller for two players, since PSP is widescreen and not formatted for square-shaped business. Unless you were playing on a widescreen TV, then the square-shaped screens of a four-player game would be stretched to their original size and would thus look fine.

shrimpidy
February 5th, 2007, 09:12
Sopny probably won't be able to afford the production of a new PSP for at least a couple years or so when the PS3 sales start to go up and better games come out for it.