PDA

View Full Version : XMB Wave editor

-Xandu-
February 5th, 2007, 10:46
This program lets you edit the wave on your XMB of your PSP.

Read the readme before you do anything.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j21/pspnaruto/snap145vw4.png

Examples of hex editing shown below

After hex editing it.
Just mix up the letters and numbers and stuff!
Don't go too crazy or the waves will disappear!

Stuff you can post: screenshots, tips, etc.

Happy wave hacking!

from DarkStone and vb_master(Vulpix)

Post your examples here!

Download, view screen, and give feedback via comment

siulmagic
February 5th, 2007, 10:59
amazing il try it =D

froggie22
February 5th, 2007, 11:03
nice work lol i was trying to do this yesterday but didnt succeed. ill try this

-Xandu-
February 5th, 2007, 11:04
If you're scared of flashing, use it on Devhook ;).

razorak
February 5th, 2007, 11:13
For some weird reason sendspace tells me that i've used up my daily 1GB though i haven't downloaded a single thing from that site =/

jim80b
February 5th, 2007, 11:20
can someone post the files here please

-Xandu-
February 5th, 2007, 11:20
Uploaded here too.

Mc_Logical
February 5th, 2007, 11:21
i think sendspace still tracks your ip if u recently downloaded something else from anywhere dude. This wave edditting thing looks cool an idea ive had is, u know the mp3 visuals effects i think its the last one? well the one where theres 2 lil things moving about in colours and spinning etc and the background is black n changes, well it would be cool if it was hacked and u could have that set as the psp background where the waves are possible? prob, because when u press the home button while its playing a mp3 and visual effects u can move about the xmb. The flashO access in recovery mode is there a way to do it from there? ah! man i wish i was a developer and knew this stuff good lol

the_eternal_dark
February 5th, 2007, 11:26
i think sendspace still tracks your ip if u recently downloaded something else from anywhere dude. This wave edditting thing looks cool an idea ive had is, u know the mp3 visuals effects i think its the last one? well the one where theres 2 lil things moving about in colours and spinning etc and the background is black n changes, well it would be cool if it was hacked and u could have that set as the psp background where the waves are possible? prob, because when u press the home button while its playing a mp3 and visual effects u can move about the xmb.

It goes so slow though. You'd need to be in 333mhz to be able to browse the XMB at any respectable rate.

*edit* Nice Xandu, I tried doing this before and got nowhere. Thanks!

Mc_Logical
February 5th, 2007, 11:34
yea man i noticed u need it at 333mhz but if the mp3 wasnt playing then would it be normal? if it was set as the background the visuals? (who knows) but i hope to see if its possible.

razorak
February 5th, 2007, 11:52
i think sendspace still tracks your ip if u recently downloaded something else from anywhere dude.

That's the problem...i haven't been to that site until i saw this thread :mad:

froggie22
February 5th, 2007, 12:00
ive tryd this thing a few times and have had no success.. i even tryed the one in the picture and it didnt work for me??

jim80b
February 5th, 2007, 12:10
it does work!

anyone know the ofsets for colours

from what i can see the first A-Z defines the curve -hey i've only done it 3 times and only with the 1st few charaters so may be well off!

falcon212
February 5th, 2007, 13:16
not working for me :(

Briggzy11
February 5th, 2007, 13:28
I have actually known how to do this for a while, but its nice to see coders helping users to edit the PSP Wave without too much difficulty.

I have tried to make the waves turn into circles, sadly to no avail :( but perhaps soon it can be made possible :), yet more customisation to our PSP's :)

jim80b
February 5th, 2007, 13:37
Briggzy, what does what?
can see A-Z, a-z, 1-9 and later on 000-999
what do i need to do to make it change color and scroll faster.

everyone else
unrar, open the folder, edit the system_plugin_bg_deflate.bin with a hex editor
save it

run the start.bat
(in recovery - make a backup first/rename the old one) copy the system_plugin_bg.rco to flash0/vsh/resource/
reboot

look at the pretty lines (in my case the crappy lines but its a start)

(added - why is the generated new one 41KB, the one from 3.10 is only 9KB??? seems to work fine still)

mmz16x
February 5th, 2007, 13:48
hi guys jus wondering is it ok to request the already customized rco that was placed on the main page and in forum start post plz jus wondering ?

vb_master
February 5th, 2007, 13:50
Just to let you guys know this was made by DarkStone and me. DarkStone did the hack, I did the app.

Thanks.

jim80b
February 5th, 2007, 14:29
great prog
please make a gui!

(i've messed up something, i've killed the waves!)
oh well lets start again

BrooksyX
February 5th, 2007, 14:36
Nice work! Gonna put it on my psp right now!

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
February 5th, 2007, 15:07
wooow! looks hard!

vb_master
February 5th, 2007, 15:36
I had jas0nuk make me a flasher: http://www.sendspace.com/file/p3irlk

Have fun hacking your XMB waves.

tophead420
February 5th, 2007, 16:50
I dont really understand how to do this can someone who does please help me out.

xpsychox
February 5th, 2007, 17:03
somebody should try to make one like the ps3 waves

Mc_Logical
February 5th, 2007, 17:23
somebody should try to make one like the ps3 waves i think there is dude but it only works on 1.5 or devhook i think.

SpooForBrains
February 5th, 2007, 18:05
I've never seen the PS3 waves ... how are they different?

Mc_Logical
February 5th, 2007, 18:11
I dont really understand how to do this can someone who does please help me out. i havent tried seems like a waste of time and ya could mess it up and would prob have to reflash psp? or keep the backup file? personally i prefer custom themes. AND IM VERY BORED and addicted to the net for some reason. I think ima watch a movie lol

Shrygue
February 5th, 2007, 18:46
This is good, I've always wanted to change how the wavy line appeared. Now it looks like it is possible to do this. I'll download this now...

MasterChafed
February 5th, 2007, 19:11
this is awesome! i just made a blob. :P

tophead420
February 5th, 2007, 19:14
could someone possible make a detailed guide on how to do this and what certain things do when changed

Mr. Shizzy
February 5th, 2007, 19:48
could someone possible make a detailed guide on how to do this and what certain things do when changed

That would be nice. Some of us (like me) have little to no experience hex editing. :o

Shrygue
February 5th, 2007, 19:57
Likewise.

Accordion
February 5th, 2007, 20:37
the thread at pspupdates actually houses some great progress...theyve sorted out how to do multi coloured, and different thickness... there is also quite a lot of downloads...

http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-release-xmbwave-93935/page1.html

i can confirm it does work on 3.10:OE-A

ALF
February 5th, 2007, 20:46
I'll post a tut later unless someone gets to it first but for now i have to go to school. Here's some pics, didn't come out as nice as DarkStone and vb_master(Vulpix) pic but not bad for a first right...:D

I wish he gave out the .rco file from the pic though...

the_eternal_dark
February 5th, 2007, 20:55
I'll post a tut later unless someone gets to it first but for now i have to go to school. Here's some pics, didn't come out as nice as DarkStone and vb_master(Vulpix) pic but not bad for a first right...:D

I wish he gave out the .rco file from the pic though...

That looks pretty awesome.

blackrave
February 5th, 2007, 21:04
I have always dreamt of this. I hope some kind people will start making and sharing lots of these wavy backgrounds with us. Great hack.

Thanks for the link, Accordion, and nice work, Alf. I hope you'll share it. I think it's awesome that you now can edit the background "easily".

Shrygue
February 5th, 2007, 21:09
I made a video clip of my modified XMB waves. You can see it by downloading from the link below.

vision
February 5th, 2007, 21:46
Wow this is very very hard

ive been trying for 30 minutes and all i got i this

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/3577/snap001us3.png

KuLeD00d
February 5th, 2007, 22:10
the thread at pspupdates actually houses some great progress...theyve sorted out how to do multi coloured, and different thickness... there is also quite a lot of downloads...

http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-release-xmbwave-93935/page1.html

i can confirm it does work on 3.10:OE-A

I cannot find where in that post it mentions what parts do what... care to point me in the direction?

Accordion
February 5th, 2007, 22:15
I cannot find where in that post it mentions what parts do what... care to point me in the direction?

erm
...i ts a forum thread...you have to read it...

...dear dear

KuLeD00d
February 5th, 2007, 22:22
erm
...i ts a forum thread...you have to read it...

...dear dear

Oh wow the sarcasm. it helps me so. Sigh. Anyway. seems their still just fiddling. It would be great if we could figure out what values where did what. that way people knew what was modifying what.

From how I've experimented. the top line and the bottom line only seem to adjust where the bar is vertically. The top, adjusting the left, the bottom, adjusting the right.

Accordion
February 5th, 2007, 22:29
Oh wow the sarcasm. it helps me so. Sigh. Anyway. seems their still just fiddling. It would be great if we could figure out what values where did what. that way people knew what was modifying what.

From how I've experimented. the top line and the bottom line only seem to adjust where the bar is vertically. The top, adjusting the left, the bottom, adjusting the right.

actually its not really sarcasm, if you read the thread...like i said. then you find out details to help you. such as thickness, and colour...

ooh

Shrygue
February 5th, 2007, 22:33
I see the QJ thread now, thanks for the link Accordion.

Anger
February 5th, 2007, 22:58
ok brief rundown:
1de2 - 1e11 : this is the outer most part of the wave - opacity and color are controlled here with 3 sets of bytes b,g,r. this part is in reverse order meaning when its low numbers its faded out and high = nearly solid.
1e12 - 1e41 : second and smaller part of the waves this is quite a narrow section and as before it is controlled the same way and the same values.
1e42 - 1ea1 : this is the one causing for me the most confusion. this is a combination of 2 parts of each wave. my first attempt resulted in a 2 tone wave in this section.
i should add that these sections are not really seperate but its easier to work on them in sections. at the moment i have a red blue mix that fades out to the edge and the solid core is red-blue.
i still dont know where size and position are controlled from.
hope this is of use.

acn010
February 5th, 2007, 23:29
now this is what im looking for!!!
thanks!

ELCHINO
February 6th, 2007, 01:04
Hello

Zargon
February 6th, 2007, 01:28
I have tried using this a couple times now and so far I have only made the lines disappear:rolleyes:
Any help would be nice since I haven't got a clue what I am doing.

acn010
February 6th, 2007, 01:36
Hello

umm.. hi.
ok now is there any other option to change the actual waves like the ps3?

Anger
February 6th, 2007, 02:34
its being worked on as we speak - please read the other thread as it has thes q's asked and answered already.
those whos lines disappear are either using a bad hex editor (hex workshop - before you say anything it screwed up on me a few times and ultraedit has yet to feck up), not using a hex editor (notepad, wordpad etc (WHY???) :/), dont know how to hex edit correctly (have ta learn to hex - google is your friend), or dont have the offsets required for what your trying to do (on this thread are the color offsets and the other thread has them all).
this should cover all main problems.

DarthPaul
February 6th, 2007, 03:20
This is so awesome.. I'd always wanted to do this,but I'll wait for an "Autoer". I don't like to hex stuff...it's a little bit hard..

razorak
February 6th, 2007, 11:02
Finally i managed to get a try and tweaked around a bit...my first attempt

Who needs a wallpaper now?? :)

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=15432&stc=1&d=1170759726

-Xandu-
February 6th, 2007, 11:22
Nice one! This one almost looks like the PS3 XMB :).

Upload the .rco here ;).

razorak
February 6th, 2007, 12:03
Nice one! This one almost looks like the PS3 XMB .

I've never seen the PS3 one before so this was actually by random.

Edit: Searched for pics of the PS3 XMB and goodness, that looks hard to make

-Xandu-
February 6th, 2007, 12:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV8vkd1gngY&mode=related&search= Try doing that :p.

I haven't messed with that hack yet :/.

razorak
February 6th, 2007, 12:25
'that looks hard to make' is an understatement O_O
we'd have to either merge the four waves into 2 waves or hide 2 waves and then make the 2 waves overlap each other. From there we'll have a good start

Theoratically: easy aside from the 'twisting' effect

Actually doing it: nearly impossible without understanding which does what (e.g height of the wave, location, thickness, movement).

No wonder people say things are always easier said than done

Philo1001
February 6th, 2007, 15:37
you should post the bin file, ive been having trouble with knowing which part of the code affects the idividual elements of the waves

marvelous
February 6th, 2007, 16:41
Please helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp. I have no clue how to use this and would usually just give up, but it looks so cool. plz help..............

Philo1001
February 6th, 2007, 17:01
its pretty self-explanitory... just get a hex-editor and ajust the default file

Chinexican
February 7th, 2007, 03:05
this thing is crazy i made mine look sorta like water

marvelous
February 7th, 2007, 16:59
I still don't understand.(VERY NEW TO THE PSP SCENE). This isn't enlgish to me. I mean like, I don't even know what a plugin is ffs. I have the hex-editor and have ajusted the default file but then i get lost in all the programming linguo.
Thanks for trying to help, but I think i'm a lost cause

Accordion
February 7th, 2007, 17:31
hate to point this out...but i just realised that these files shouldnt be hosted or linked...

oh well!

[that means stop posting them openly !!!

Philo1001
February 8th, 2007, 03:21
hate to point this out...but i just realised that these files shouldnt be hosted or linked...

oh well!

[that means stop posting them openly !!!

WHAT, why shouldnt this be posted....?

polosolo2
September 8th, 2008, 06:45
nothin nevermind