PDA

View Full Version : No Unreal Engine 3 on Wii - EVER

wraggster
February 5th, 2007, 18:35
An article from CVG that doesnt look good for us wii owners:

Epic VP Mark Rein has been speaking to Wired News about the success of the Unreal Engine 3, especially since the firm recently licensed it to a Japanese developer for the first time.

Here are the highlights from the interview:

It's also tough to ignore the success of the Wii at this point. Do you guys have any plans to be in that space?

Rein:: Hey, we're in that space! Red Steel, Splinter Cell -- those use our previous engine technology. But it's not in our plans to bring Unreal Engine 3 to the Wii. It's really designed for next-gen, high-definition.
It can't be easy to get Japanese developers on board, because they traditionally use their own engines.

Rein: It's definitely a challenge to convince Japanese developers to work with a third-party technology like ours. But Square Enix, they're the granddaddy. I'm hoping that'll be pulling the stopper out of the drain, and we'll gradually crack that nut. We've been looking to hire somebody in Japan, to be our representative there.

It's really hard to find somebody who speaks really good English, knows our technology well, is native Japanese, has an engineering background, can answer complex questions. We're looking; the job's open.
You obviously love the Xbox 360. Do you love the PlayStation 3?

Rein: Yeah, absolutely. I think they're both great machines. I don't understand all this crazy negative backlash toward PlayStation 3. It's like, people aren't happy that there aren't enough machines, and then they're not happy that there are? Get over it! You want to be able to buy the damn thing!

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=156939)

Cap'n 1time
February 5th, 2007, 19:06
Shame about UE3 not being on the Wii, but it isnt really that surprising. the unreal engine 2.0 was still a masterpiece and can still be used to make some quality stuff. Also it wont affect how a game plays... It just wont look as snazzy.

I heart Nintendo
February 5th, 2007, 21:46
*shakes fist*

shadowprophet
February 5th, 2007, 22:13
Ohh the irony of it all!! What shall us wii fans do without an anicent fps engine on our wiis!!!:cool:

OHH THERE IS NO JUSTICE IN THE WORLD!!!

:rofl:

Accordion
February 5th, 2007, 23:34
will this mean we won't get a real FF on the Wii ever?

yes nintendo gets silly ports...but they are all quite awful, and that was before the move to UE3...

nooo

Cap'n 1time
February 6th, 2007, 08:53
I dont think people understand that the unreal engine... is just an engine.. you can make anything out of it.. The engine has no affect on how a game plays... the programmers on the other hand do... also Unreal 2.0 isnt what I would all ancient, and Unreal Engine 3.0 is brand spanking new... in fact Its pretty much still in development as far as I know.