PDA

View Full Version : PicoDriveDS 0.1.7 - Megadrive Emulator for the Nintendo DS

wraggster
February 5th, 2007, 20:24
RyanFB (http://www.cryptosystem.org/) has released a new version of his excellent Megadrive(genesis) emulator for the Nintendo DS.

Heres whats new:

Updated for DKA r20 and latest libnds.
Switched to libfat with DLDI support.
Fixed bug where select key must be released quickly in order to go back to file selection menu.
Appended ROM check now only happens if FAT is unable to init.
Added untested Opera RAM expansion support, and RAM support for SCCF.

Download and Give Feedback / Compatibility Reports Via Comments

Category
February 5th, 2007, 20:40
Well, it's running fine on my GBAMP, and a little smoother than before!

Definatly worth a download if you want to fire up some good old sonic again!

When my Opera arrives, I may give that RAM trick a go...

TeenDev
February 5th, 2007, 21:33
wat iuse is the opera ram pack f u r running it out of the GBA slot?

souLLy
February 5th, 2007, 22:08
wat iuse is the opera ram pack f u r running it out of the GBA slot?

It's a bit of bonus ram for the emu to run with, if you're using a slot1 card, like an M3 Simply.

basilb
February 5th, 2007, 23:46
in the same way that the ram support was mentioned for the SCCF, does that extent to the other Supercard slot2's?

Sigma83
February 6th, 2007, 01:50
The genesis rom I tried is made up of 6 seperate bin files. I select one of them and nothing happens, just says rom loaded, and rom size zero. Anyway to get around this?

EDIT: I'm assuming those roms are different dumps of the game. I'm trying mortal kombat to no avail. I can browse to them no problem, and my windows emulator works fine, nothing will actually load up and run on my supercarddsone.

For header info, there's simply a smiley face that shows up lol, c'mon what's going on.

Any help appreciated :(

Silas
February 6th, 2007, 02:46
Forget my ungratitude....Sometimes the other ones are stupid and lately regret your acts...I am one of them.

Silas
February 6th, 2007, 02:51
People Sorry for my stupid coment, but I Really wanted to play Snes and Genesis on NDS but this business take to much time and I´m getting stupid and impish...I´m really so sorry...

DanTheManMS
February 6th, 2007, 03:02
If you really want to play SNES games on your DS, then learn coding and help them out. There's no reason for you to be so ungrateful for the hard work they have already done. If you want to make a difference, go out and do it. Don't sit and complain about how other people aren't working hard enough. People have lives too.

As far as "no visible difference," you must not understand the point of changelogs. How about the fact that Chrono Trigger now runs in SnezziDS when it didn't before? That alone is a big enough change from v0.25 to v0.28a. How about the fact that SnezziDS no longer crashes after 20 minutes of gameplay? That many games are now playable that weren't before? I really don't understand why you think that there's no difference. Even with PicoDriveDS here, the DLDI support is huge news, as now almost all homebrew devices are supported. It's a major change. Be glad that they're still working on it at least.

Sigma83
February 6th, 2007, 03:15
lol, how does the asshole warrant a response when a grateful user having difficulty getting his roms to work is left hung to dry? :)

EDIT: Ok, this emulator is very nice, thank you very much for developing it. I would have to conclude that since the mortal kombat bin size is greater than 4 mb and i have no slot 2 memory, that this game will not run. But streeth fighter at 2 mb works nicely. I think it'd be a plus though if the top two buttons (R and L) were punching or kicking, as opposed to have to push the start button to switch the aby buttons from kicking to punching. But regardless, excellent job.

souLLy
February 6th, 2007, 07:38
Silas; nobody owes you anything. If you don't like the speed of an emulator's development, make an emulator yourself, donate some money to the cause or shut the hell up. Don't be so selfish, you do know it's attitudes like yours that make developers abandon projects like this?

PicoDrive is certainly one of the best emulators on the ds, if you don't like it, don't use it.

Silas
February 6th, 2007, 11:07
Yeah, All of you are right...I know this Since I post that thing, Better I Exclude that Comment. I wanted to know about coding...But no one which know something really wanted to help me to learn...then...Someone here could helpme please?

Mikaa
February 6th, 2007, 18:19
Kudos all around for the support of DS Emulations. I do have a question, though: does this particular emulator run on Datel's Max Media Dock (MMD)?

Also, does anyone have any development tools for coding on the DS using a Compact Flash (CF) card as the basis for storing data? Thanks!

Mikaa

Mr.Peanut
February 17th, 2007, 23:14
Um... I might be an idiot, in fact last time I checked I was, but I get no sound. Is sound not yet emulated? Man o man I have been enjoying this one.

crookedmouth
February 18th, 2007, 00:45
Yep no sound, I hope I'm wrong but I believe there never will be sound.

Mr.Peanut
February 18th, 2007, 20:48
Sound too CPU intensive for the DS? I knew I should have bought a GP2X! (In fact the only reason I didn't was the touch screen.)

Sigma83
February 18th, 2007, 21:11
GP2X is a huge battery hog. My buddy just sold it after never using it. Where's the fun in always having to be plugged in! :D

voteforpedro36
February 18th, 2007, 22:27
Kudos all around for the support of DS Emulations. I do have a question, though: does this particular emulator run on Datel's Max Media Dock (MMD)?

Also, does anyone have any development tools for coding on the DS using a Compact Flash (CF) card as the basis for storing data? Thanks!

Mikaa

Yeah, it works on the MMD. You gotta patch it with DLDI first though. Then you can't load saves after you turn it off and back on!!! It's gotta be something with the DLDI... I suggest downloading 0.1.6, so you can actually load your files as many times as you prefer, whenever you prefer...

Until it gets sound and the save/load doesn't work on the MMD, I'm alright though!

TravisAxel
February 20th, 2007, 01:40
Can someone please help me? I would like to know how to run this and other emulators on the Max Media Dock. Please and thanks!

ganon
February 25th, 2007, 19:02
dont work on my supercard lite

DanTheManMS
February 25th, 2007, 23:39
ganon, have you patched it with DLDI? Try both the regular file on the DLDI homepage and the alternate SCSD_moon.dldi file, found at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DLDI

Mikaa
February 26th, 2007, 02:40
Hope to see another version update soon!
Mikaa

wizard
March 1st, 2007, 04:22
dont work on my supercard lite

I had a problem with my supercard lite too, but there is an easy solution. Use the .gba file (rename it to .nds) instead of the .nds file and it will work fine. I tried the DLDI patch and appending roms to the other file (the .nds one) and neither worked. The .gba file worked for me just fine even without the patch.

Tripsk8er333
March 6th, 2007, 18:37
Great Work:thumbup: , But I only have one Problem. If or when do think there will be sound added to this? It would be very cool.:D

gameO_Ofreak
March 9th, 2007, 03:21
i downloaded this and put it on my g6flash card but when ever i load it up i just get 2 white screens has anyone been able to get it to work on a g6flash card and if u have can u leaver instructions for me

DanTheManMS
March 9th, 2007, 04:15
Doesn't the G6 have an option to add a loader to the program so that it will work most likely?

Also, exactly what are you trying to launch? Are you sure you're running the SNES games through snezzi.exe? Because just launching snezzi.nds won't do anything.

gameO_Ofreak
March 10th, 2007, 05:41
i dont really know what G6 can do i only just got it and im not trying to run snes games im trying to get picodrive to work teh megadrive emulator

DanTheManMS
March 11th, 2007, 03:41
Crap, sorry about that. I must have thought I was in a different thread.

gameO_Ofreak
March 11th, 2007, 07:13
i sorta got it working yesterday it loaded everything apart from the rom bu tthe screen said that it had found it

x999x
March 11th, 2007, 17:40
This Emulator makes me happy in pants!

Very good release, incredible compatibility, DLDI and Savestates, wow!

Great Work!

Ushrufp
March 11th, 2007, 17:50
does any one have GBA thelastseal if you do could you help me or send me a walk through at [email protected]

JushinLiger
March 12th, 2007, 09:59
This emulator is wicked! Well worth getting a SuperKey to use it. So far I've only tried Streets of Rage 2 but gameplay was so accurate to the original running on a Mega Drive.
I ran it on a Supercard SD with Suğerkey.

tonkei
March 13th, 2007, 21:56
Considering just how much I've played all the classics, I still hear the music in my head when I play.

Considering how well this runs I can live without sound emulation!

Ushrufp
March 13th, 2007, 22:42
yo want a free PSP click dis link and do bidz offer so what you waiting for registar now note: if you dont believe me i will send you evidence of my cusin at #######@hotmail.com
link removed

gameO_Ofreak
March 15th, 2007, 16:36
has anyone managed to get this to work for g6flash cards becasue i cant get it to work for mine and i really wanna play sonic 3 on my ds

gameO_Ofreak
March 15th, 2007, 17:02
ok i got it working for g6flash it its a little glitchy but most of the games i tryed were playable i cant wait for a newwer verson to coem out

this is the link to download teh working file for g6flash enjoy http://rapidshare.com/files/21180796/picodriveds.ds.nds.html

sshadow5001
March 23rd, 2007, 16:24
how would i get this to work on this

http://uk.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=GB&cr=GBP&cs=£&r=1&l=1&p=17&i=9069&s=8

i recently bought this and im not sure exactly how to play the roms through this emulator

DanTheManMS
March 23rd, 2007, 22:58
There is no DLDI file released for the Games N Music card, so there is no way for PicoDriveDS to access the assets on your card. So therefore, you cannot play this with your device.

Urameshi Yusuke
March 26th, 2007, 00:13
ok i got it working for g6flash it its a little glitchy but most of the games i tryed were playable i cant wait for a newwer verson to coem out

this is the link to download teh working file for g6flash enjoy http://rapidshare.com/files/21180796/picodriveds.ds.nds.html

Hey, what did you do to get it working on G6?

Whatsoever, thx! ^^ I too use a G6! :thumbup:

sshadow5001
March 26th, 2007, 14:12
does that mean none of the emulators will work on the games and music card

sshadow5001
March 26th, 2007, 15:05
i suppose the most important question is will the emulators ever work on the games and music software

needmoresugar777
April 29th, 2007, 08:06
hmm, very nice emulator on the nds there. I think it would be pretty awsome to help develope things like this, but i have no idea how to program, and plus, i dont really know where to start.

tarius09
June 1st, 2007, 17:48
im using datel's games n music catridge....but when i load the emulator it wont reconize the roms...help me please

DanTheManMS
June 1st, 2007, 17:58
The GnM does not have a DLDI file, so homebrew programs do not know how to talk with its filesystem. Therefore, you cannot run PicoDriveDS on a GnM.

tomlad
August 5th, 2007, 21:12
hi, brilliant emu! runs well on my M3 Lite Professional. slightly slow, but runs rather smooth on games like streets of rage. only problem is the lack of speed in games like sonic. but i cannot complain, this is a very good emu! also its a shame about the music, as the mega drive music was amoungst the best ever, just listen 2 streets of rage 2 for probably the best example. but im sure with future development, this will be better than it already is! :thumbup:

Sir_Voe
August 6th, 2007, 00:03
For games like Sonic, I reccomend you use JenesisDS instead. Games run at 100% speed on the HW build.

tomlad
August 8th, 2007, 21:12
hi mate, thanks for the tip, i will have a looksee :)

soad825
August 15th, 2007, 08:35
Yeah, this emu works great but the only problems are:

No sound
Some games are kinda slow
Save states are sometimes iffy(like when I go to load state, it sometimes doesnt work and it freezes)

Plz make another update. Nice work so far

tinnyblues
September 12th, 2007, 18:15
got this workin on me gnm card i have a loada games working perfectly on it no lag or anything wud be ace to get sound eventually but hey i aint complaining as this is aceness i love streets of rage and now i can play em again and i aint stealing it as ive already gave my moneys worth for many of these games years ago haha so anyways what im trying to say is thanks to you who ever made the emulator your a legend as im new to all this scene and stuff its quite nice to get this working as ive tryed snes emulators on my gnm but it aint worked ever so this one comes out on top easy

sethsez
September 13th, 2007, 04:06
At this point jEnesisDS is better, but I'd still like to see how this progresses. Variety is always nice. :)

sukhi-2006
October 7th, 2007, 05:38
Both of the 2 megadrive emulators don't have sound megadrive has one of the best soundtracks in the games i hope we will see an update which the developer will give us sound in the picodrive emulator.

Spidery_Yoda
October 14th, 2007, 19:41
I just decided to find out if there were any Mega Drive emulators, because i've recently started listening to Sonic music online, and i found this thread pretty quickly using google.

And i have to say, i'm very happy with this so biig thanks to the creator :D.

I'll definitely be checking back in the future to see if you manage to get the sound working (if you're trying to that is..)

Big thanks for this emulator.

DanTheManMS
October 14th, 2007, 22:56
I'd also look into jEnesisDS, which provides faster emulation with a hardware build at the cost of possible graphical glitches.

dutchboy
November 8th, 2007, 08:08
Does the DS not have enough processing power to emulate the MD/Genesis sound, or is it the state of development?

What about the psp emulator?

Is DS overclocking real, and would this provide enough power to emulate? Could correction of sound pitch be figured in software to compensate for sound "speed-up" ?

DanTheManMS
November 10th, 2007, 18:59
The DS runs two processors, one at 66 MHz and one at 33 MHz. While emulating the Genesis with sound is theoretically possible, it probably wouldn't run at full speed.

The PSP in contrast has a 333 MHz processor, which gives it much more to work with.

The DS can only be overclocked through a hardware modification, which few people will do. On a side note, you're not actually overclocking the PSP when you set it to 333 MHz, as that's what it's meant to run at. Commercial games are limited to 222 MHz to save battery power (though I've heard this has recently changed and commercial games can now use 333 MHz if they need to).

olliebean1989
January 13th, 2008, 22:03
why is there no sound :(

DanTheManMS
January 13th, 2008, 22:54
Because the original PicoDrive emulator did not have sound so this port doesn't either. Furthermore, the Genesis sound engine requires lots of power to emulate, so getting fullspeed games + full working sound for all games is likely impossible. Wait for the next version of jEnesisDS, as Lordus has been working on adding sound. He's already gotten some games to work with sound at a very low cost to the CPU, but the other sound engines will take a larger toll on the framerate if they get implemented.

(publicly available versions of jEnesisDS don't have any sound; it's the private donator-only version that has sound for some games)

qwerty21
April 16th, 2008, 21:08
why isn't there any sound?

DanTheManMS
April 17th, 2008, 23:14

I somehow managed to answer your question a good 3 months before you asked it.

Would it kill you to look at the post right above yours?

Rimmerlad
April 30th, 2008, 22:29
Can someone please help me to get this emu working on R4. I must have missed something somewhere as I don't have a clue where to start. Just can't find any tutorials anywhere. I only wanna play sensible soccer on it because that wouldnt work on the snes emu.

DanTheManMS
May 1st, 2008, 03:44
Copy it to your card, put your Genesis games on your card, launch the .nds file and select the game to play.

Also try jEnesisDS instead.

Danief
May 1st, 2008, 04:39
is this better than jenesis?

DanTheManMS
May 1st, 2008, 21:50
For most games jEnesisDS is better.

Rimmerlad
May 6th, 2008, 23:53
Copy it to your card, put your Genesis games on your card, launch the .nds file and select the game to play.

Also try jEnesisDS instead.

Cheers mate, I never thought it'd be that simple

DanTheManMS
May 8th, 2008, 00:55
As long as you get the latest DLDI-capable version and either manually patch it or let your device auto-patch with DLDI, that's as simple as it is.

paulus90
November 20th, 2009, 17:04
sounds dont work.

crookedmouth
November 21st, 2009, 04:27
sounds dont work.

Use jEnesisDS, sounds work.

Shrygue
November 21st, 2009, 23:41
Well well, yet another old thread bumped - time for some more closure!