PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray & HD-DVD Sales Running Even

Elven6
February 6th, 2007, 01:46
Washington, D.C. (February 5, 2007) -- Who's winning the Blu-ray-HD-DVD war?

Well, according to the NPD Group, no one. The research group says sales of the two HDTV DVD players were almost even from April to December of last year.

NPD says 52 percent of HDTV DVD players sold during that time period were HD-DVD players while 48 percent were Blu-ray.

However, Blu-ray enthusiasts might count the numbers as a victory because they did not include sales of the PlayStation 3, which has a Blu-ray player inside. (The totals also did not include sales of Microsoft's XBox 360 HD-DVD attachment, but they are estimated to be far less than the PS3.)

Additionally, Blu-ray standalone players cost roughly $1,000, about twice as much as HD-DVD players.

In related news, Nielsen said last week that Blu-ray movie titles outsold HD-DVDs by more than two to one in the first two weeks of January.

Things seem good!

joshisposer
February 6th, 2007, 03:12
Blu-ray rocks. It had/has the first 1080p output mode. It looks just plain amazing.

rbervoets
February 6th, 2007, 07:42
...Blu-ray standalone players cost roughly $1,000...

OMFG ! it would be cheaper to buy the PS3 and rip the Blue-Ray out !

zorbas
February 6th, 2007, 08:16
i dont know, watching blue ray movies on my ps3 with 1080p on my hdtv lcd looks framed down, and is horrible on fast action. almost unwatchable.

juggaleaux
February 6th, 2007, 09:09
DVD is still perfectly fine with me. :)