PDA

View Full Version : Florida Bar faces Thompson in court again

wraggster
February 6th, 2007, 18:21
via gamespot (http://us.gamespot.com/news/6165406.html)

Florida attorney and game-regulation activist Jack Thompson has been involved in a number of public feuds stemming from his efforts against the likes of shock-jock Howard Stern, Grand Theft Auto publisher Take-Two Interactive, and the lawyers who have represented them. Thompson has even sued the Florida Bar, of which he is a member.

Now the Florida Bar has rolled up all those feuds and more into a 40-page complaint filed with the state's Supreme Court. Self-explanatory game blog GamePolitics broke the story over the weekend, reporting that the Bar's complaint makes five allegations against Thompson for violations of professional conduct.

GameSpot obtained a full copy of the complaint, which accuses Thompson of a number of misdeeds, such as repeatedly disobeying a judge's orders and violating Alabama's rules of professional conduct. Specifically, the complaint says Thompson made out-of-court statements that could tamper with the court case, knowing that they would be picked up and widely reported.

The complaint also alleges that Thompson directly violated a judge's orders multiple times. In November 2005, Fayette County Circuit Judge James Moore revoked Thompson's temporary license to practice law in Alabama for his behavior in the civil suit of a man convicted of killing two police officers and a dispatcher. Moore also ordered Thompson not to send him copies of any letters or e-mails he sent to a third party. The complaint says Thompson violated that order at least 30 times.

Another count accuses Thompson of making statements about Take-Two's lawyers opposing him "for no substantial purpose other than to embarrass, disparage, or humiliate them," of threatening disciplinary charges just to get a leg up in his civil suit, and for making statements about the qualifications or integrity of a judge with a reckless disregard for the truth. The final two counts allege that Thompson disparaged the lawyers representing Howard Stern in his legal battles with the radio host, accusing them of extortion and racketeering, among other things.

Thompson has filed a motion to stay any disciplinary action in the case and a motion for mediation. The Bar has not filed a response, and the judge has not ruled on either motion yet.

beaner2k6
February 6th, 2007, 18:29
haha jack thompson is a dumba**

F9zDark
February 6th, 2007, 18:35
YES!! The saving grace for gaming is at hand!! I hope the Florida Bar disbar's him, so he can no longer practice law.

Veskgar
February 6th, 2007, 18:35
Now this is good news. Great to see this waste of taxpayers dollars getting what he deserves. This guy has been too big a nuisance for his own good.

Nobody cares about his self-guided agenda to assault the entertainment industry, mainly video games.

Video Games are not responsible for the violence in this world.

Its reading about out of touch politicians like this who are trying to take away our rights and freedoms that gets me more angry and hostile than any video game ever could.

geise69
February 6th, 2007, 19:32
Its reading about out of touch politicians like this who are trying to take away our rights and freedoms that gets me more angry and hostile than any video game ever could.

Even if it's the ET videogame?

fatdad
February 6th, 2007, 20:09
i hope they stick him in the big house,,,,,some fellas in there would love him longtime...lol

BelmontSlayer
February 6th, 2007, 21:23
Excellent news. Hopefully the judge will revoke his liscense, therefore neutering him for life.

Veskgar
February 7th, 2007, 02:53
Even if it's the ET videogame?

LOL, point taken. Luckily I was too young and never owned or got to play that poor excuse for a game. I've seen and heard lots about it though. Maybe I'll fire that one up on an Emulator sometime just to say I experienced that dread.